HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Waiters/Waitresses Who Memorize

View Poll Results: What do you think of the server using their noggin' instead of writing your order ?
Don't Like It 23 34.85%
Like It 6 9.09%
Doesn't Matter Either Way 37 56.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Waiters/Waitresses Who Memorize

I was out the other day, and the waitress took my order in her noggin' instead of writing it down....She ended up screwing my drink up, and one of my sides.....I think had she wrote it down it wouldn't have happened ?

Personally I am not impressed if they can memorize it....I am more impressed when they write it down, don't screw my order up, and provide good service....

Thoughts / Experiences with the Memorizing waiters and waitresses

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:25 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Doesn't matter either way

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

Man, whenever I go into the restaurant, the waitresses there always come to my table and flirt with me. I'm so great with women.

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Krishna

Stop lying

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
xX Hot Fuss

vCash: 500
As a waiter I never memorize anything. It's so pointless. The risk I take in screwing something up is nowhere near justifiable in an increase in tip % from "impressing" my tables with my ability to memorize.

There's no need for it at all

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Frankie Spankie

I don't care how they remember, so long as I get my order right.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

The only thing that would have made this story better was the waitress blaming you with, "you didn't order that!" "you said you wanted...!"

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
buckridesagain*

As long as they get my order right it doesnt matter.

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
As a waiter I never memorize anything. It's so pointless. The risk I take in screwing something up is nowhere near justifiable in an increase in tip % from "impressing" my tables with my ability to memorize.

There's no need for it at all
I'm not a server, and have never been one, but that's always been my take on this as well. I really don't care if a server memorizes the order, but if they don't write it down and it gets screwed up, even if it's not their fault it certainly comes off that way and looks poorly on them. Just write it down and save the risk. I don't consider memorizing orders to be impressive in a sense that it deserves a bigger tip either. A smile, friendly/casual demeanor, and offering another drink is really all it takes for 20+ percent.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

As long as they don't mess things up then I don't care. That said writing down provides less chance of messing up.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

I like it.I respect their skills.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Ceremony
Ten Tons

vCash: 499
I worked as a waitress. We used to have this old guy come in every day at the same time and demand to be sat in the same place. I think he was a writer, but he was a very angry man which when coupled with his OCD made him unbearable at times. I had my fair-share of run-ins with him, but we ended up at the point where I was the only waitress he would accept. I always write my orders down normally, but there was no way in hell I would ever risk trying to remember his orders without writing them down.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:23 AM
njdevscup30
Boom Boom

vCash: 243
I love it. If I were a server I would be a memorizing one. Don't write anything down? Impressive! Here's a big tip!

njdevscup30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:31 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

lol, anyone who would actually tip extra because the waiter/waitress memorized the order is silly.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:30 AM
RayP

Never tipped more for seeing my order memorized and not written down. I have tipped less from some idiot trying to memorize my order and screwing it up. Christmas Eve we went out. Forgot two drinks out of 8 and forgot 4 side dishes. By the time they came out they were worthless.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
awfulwaffle

When I served tables, I wrote everything down. The only time I would not write something down was when I randomly stopped by a table and they asked for some ranch, or something like that.

I still messed up some orders(I'm pretty sure people lied about what they said they ordered just to get a free meal), but nobody is perfect, ever.

The likelihood of screwing something up is much less when you write it down.

Serving tables is a stressful job though, always moving, and people would be surprised how many tables you serve are rude and impatient. I give them the benefit of the doubt when something bad happens.

awfulwaffle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
I don't care how they remember, so long as I get my order right.
Exactly. When I go to a restaurant I want the food I order. I don't pay attention to how they take my order. Humans are prone to making mistakes. Even if they write it down incorrectly you could end up getting the wrong food. The drink is on the waitress. The food could be on whoever prepped the plate before sending it out.

01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Most people I talk to about this outside of the internet say they are more tolerant of the screw-ups as long as the waitress looks good. What can I say? The world is pretty shallow.

BTW, if they have an brain that works then they should be smart enough to write stuff down in case the brain as the occasional brain fart.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I worked as a waitress. We used to have this old guy come in every day at the same time and demand to be sat in the same place. I think he was a writer, but he was a very angry man which when coupled with his OCD made him unbearable at times. I had my fair-share of run-ins with him, but we ended up at the point where I was the only waitress he would accept. I always write my orders down normally, but there was no way in hell I would ever risk trying to remember his orders without writing them down.
????

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Never tipped more for seeing my order memorized and not written down. I have tipped less from some idiot trying to memorize my order and screwing it up. Christmas Eve we went out. Forgot two drinks out of 8 and forgot 4 side dishes. By the time they came out they were worthless.
this this this.

If they don't write it down and something comes screwed up that badly I'm going to assume that it's because they screwed something up. If they do write it down, and it's that screwed up I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it's most likely a kitchen mistake. Mind you I've seen my fair share of kitchen total ****ups even when everything is entered properly from working a bar, still I've seen far more where the person entering it ****s something up because they got interrupted on their way from the table to putting it in so that someone could have another soda, extra cup of dressing, or something else.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

I have a part time job bartending , I take drink orders from tables and never write them down. I usually try to guess in my head what they are going to order by looking at them.One really pretty woman threw me for a loop when she ordered an Irish car bomb. Guiness / Irish wisky / shot dropped in the Guiness boiler maker style. It's a hardcore mans drink.

I don't write orders down till they start a tab so I can keep the entire order correct.
If I was doing tables and depending how complex the menu is doing a table of six would not be bad w/ a limited menu. I have a mind for things like that , I just remember things w/ out trying. There was a cpl that came in months ago and I still remember their names/ drinks/where they were from. Some people remember things w/o trying and some don't ,that simple.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

As long as they don't **** it up I could care less how my server takes my order.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
I have a part time job bartending , I take drink orders from tables and never write them down. I usually try to guess in my head what they are going to order by looking at them.One really pretty woman threw me for a loop when she ordered an Irish car bomb. Guiness / Irish wisky / shot dropped in the Guiness boiler maker style. It's a hardcore mans drink.

I don't write orders down till they start a tab so I can keep the entire order correct.
If I was doing tables and depending how complex the menu is doing a table of six would not be bad w/ a limited menu. I have a mind for things like that , I just remember things w/ out trying. There was a cpl that came in months ago and I still remember their names/ drinks/where they were from. Some people remember things w/o trying and some don't ,that simple.
Worked as a bartender and waiter throughout school/uni, always memorised my orders. But my memory is ridiculously good, only time I would write it down is tables of 8+, anything less than that I can cope with, food, drinks, sides, extras etc.

Some people are good at that, some aren't. Also knowing the menu is a must.

People do seem pretty impressed when you get it all though on a 'tricky' order.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
DatsyukNumberOne*

I dislike it, I usually order A LOT of food when I go out..and I don't trust these people to not get the order wrong.

DatsyukNumberOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:44 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
It's actually a big pet peeve of mine. Sorry, but I don't trust some random person's memory with my order.

Plus, it adds pressure on the waiter, imho, too. If the waiter wrote down my order and what came back wasn't exactly what I wanted, I just assume it's the kitchen's fault and it wouldn't affect their tip. If the waiter doesn't and comes back with the wrong stuff, then I'd assume they messed up with delivering the order and it would affect their tip.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote