HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
alberts is still above replacement level and if your 7th dman is above replacement, you probably have a good defence
Only judgement that was bad was giving him a pretty good two year deal for a #7 defenseman. You never hand out those type of deals to players.

Old
01-22-2013, 09:50 AM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Only judgement that was bad was giving him a pretty good two year deal for a #7 defenseman. You never hand out those type of deals to players.
Why?

Old
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Epimetheus

Blomstrand scored 2 goals today against his former team.Both goals came on PP.Looking good.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:59 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Blomstrand scored 2 goals today against his former team.Both goals came on PP.Looking good.
The Baron lighting it up!

Tied for second in goals scored by a Junior with 10, and a lolworthy 2 assists

Old
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
The Baron lighting it up!

Tied for second in goals scored by a Junior with 10, and a lolworthy 2 assists
Hilarious that both Jensen and Blomstrand are going for the Cy Young in Sweden.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:12 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hilarious that both Jensen and Blomstrand are going for the Cy Young in Sweden.
Too bad he didn't start the season with Almtuna eh?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Epimetheus

Does anybody know his contract situation?Is he tied for the next year?In my opinion,another year in Sweden would be ideal.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Does anybody know his contract situation?Is he tied for the next year?In my opinion,another year in Sweden would be ideal.
I would say that AHL would be ideal for him. He's already got the size and skating for it. Right now he's playing in a league that doesn't really encourage the type of game he can play.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:24 PM
trytobe

pretty stoked about Blomstrand's progress. any word on Westerholm? how about Tommernes? I seem to recall some excitement about Tommernes' progress once upon a time.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trytobe View Post
pretty stoked about Blomstrand's progress. any word on Westerholm? how about Tommernes? I seem to recall some excitement about Tommernes' progress once upon a time.
There should still be excitement about Tormmernes. Very good D that's producing well and playing top pairing minutes in Sweden.

Westerholm was always a long shot. Don't really think it's worth keeping up with him.

Old
01-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Kitchener is on Friday night hockey this week.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:34 PM
thefeebster

Westerholm i've seen twice. I was on the fence with this pick and he did nothing to sway me to his side when i watched. He looks small on the ice and plays small. Not a great skater either, rather slow and really had to work hard to get back for a back check. But he is skilled with the puck, nice shot, and good on the PP. I see a decent swedish player who is better suited to stay in sweden.

Old
01-22-2013, 05:45 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Blomstrand seems like he could adapt to the AHL next year. Although I still wonder if Rodin should have stayed one more year in Sweden?

Old
01-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Blomstrand seems like he could adapt to the AHL next year. Although I still wonder if Rodin should have stayed one more year in Sweden?
The sad thing about the Rodin pick is the two Swedish players drafted just before him: Jakob Silfverberg and Anton Lander. One has to wonder whether the Canucks would have drafted Rodin even if the other two were available. Mike Gillis did state that the Canucks had Anton Rodin going in the first round. Of course that doesn't foreclose the possibility that Gillis had both Silfverberg and Lander also going in the first round, but higher than Rodin.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:07 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

So I know he's not a prospect (yet, obviously) but a few Vancouver scouts have been hanging around some VIJHL Westshore Wolves games checking out their goalie, Alec Dillon.

He's slated to play with BCHL Victoria Grizzlies next year and was offered to play as Swift Current's starter in the WHL, but didn't want to burn his college eligibility. He's got Div I schools falling all over him.

6'5" 150lbs born in 1996. Just thought I'd throw that on the radar as he may not get a lot of interest during his draft year since he plans to go College route. Needs to put on some weight, but he's very, very good.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:08 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
So I know he's not a prospect (yet, obviously) but a few Vancouver scouts have been hanging around some VIJHL Westshore Wolves games checking out their goalie, Alec Dillon.

He's slated to play with BCHL Victoria Grizzlies next year and was offered to play as Swift Current's starter in the WHL, but didn't want to burn his college eligibility. He's got Div I schools falling all over him.

6'5" 150lbs born in 1996. Just thought I'd throw that on the radar as he may not get a lot of interest during his draft year since he plans to go College route. Needs to put on some weight, but he's very, very good.
Hahaha 6'5" 150??? He must look like Manute Bol!

Old
01-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
The sad thing about the Rodin pick is the two Swedish players drafted just before him: Jakob Silfverberg and Anton Lander. One has to wonder whether the Canucks would have drafted Rodin even if the other two were available. Mike Gillis did state that the Canucks had Anton Rodin going in the first round. Of course that doesn't foreclose the possibility that Gillis had both Silfverberg and Lander also going in the first round, but higher than Rodin.
Anton Lander? The guy with even worse production than Rodin this year? From what I've seen he doesn't have the skating for the NHL.

But yeah, I hope we had Silfverberg rated higher than Rodin. I think Rodin's career has been significantly screwed up by his shoulder problems though. He was a stand out at that WJC a few years back and outplayed a lot of other top rated prospects. Then the injuries came and he never seemed to get back to the level he was at before.

Watching him play now, he has very different tendencies than he did 2 years ago, before those injuries.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Hahaha 6'5" 150??? He must look like Manute Bol!
Lol, he turns sideways and he disappears.

I think I have a picture of him from when he was AP'd to backup the Grizz, hold on...

Yep, here it is:

So skinny his gear rides up so high.

Old
01-22-2013, 06:24 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
How far is Gauce from making the team anyway.......We will need a center with Malholtra likely go........so that third line is need of a center......not saying he could make the team but there is hole there unless we get Schroeder to play there but it doesn't seem max any sense for him

Old
01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Anton Lander? The guy with even worse production than Rodin this year? From what I've seen he doesn't have the skating for the NHL.

But yeah, I hope we had Silfverberg rated higher than Rodin. I think Rodin's career has been significantly screwed up by his shoulder problems though. He was a stand out at that WJC a few years back and outplayed a lot of other top rated prospects. Then the injuries came and he never seemed to get back to the level he was at before.

Watching him play now, he has very different tendencies than he did 2 years ago, before those injuries.
I haven't seen much of Lander in the AHL, but I was impressed with him at the NHL level. Looks like he develop into a decent two-way third line centre. As for Rodin, I don't see much of an NHL future. I also think that his offensive production in the AHL this year may not be indicative of his offensive talent. On that OKC team he was buried behind some pretty gifted players. This, of course, isn't to say that I think he has great offensive production.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
How far is Gauce from making the team anyway.......We will need a center with Malholtra likely go........so that third line is need of a center......not saying he could make the team but there is hole there unless we get Schroeder to play there but it doesn't seem max any sense for him
Based on my rather limited viewing of Gaunce I don't think he is close at all to making the Canucks.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:02 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Based on my rather limited viewing of Gaunce I don't think he is close at all to making the Canucks.
Yeah, I've seen him a bit but he's still pretty raw.

At least another 2-3 seasons. He's still got 2 more years in Junior. Unfortunately his team is underwhelming in my opinion.

Old
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:

Would it be fair to say that his injuries have scarred him, almost?

Old
01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Would it be fair to say that his injuries have scarred him, almost?
I think in some way they might have, yes. I might post more on this sometime in the future when I'm up for writing a long post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
If you wanted a primarily defensive center, Gaunce is probably not that far away from making the NHL. He's excellent in that regard and could likely fill in that role starting with next season. Not necessarily toughest minutes right away, but he could progress pretty quickly into being a good shutdown guy.

But I think it would be a mistake to do that. He needs time to improve his offensive game, he needs to play with more of a tempo and his skating obviously needs some work (but less than people imply due to the fact that he's usually viewed on big ice in Belleville).

Old
01-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I haven't seen much of Lander in the AHL, but I was impressed with him at the NHL level. Looks like he develop into a decent two-way third line centre. As for Rodin, I don't see much of an NHL future. I also think that his offensive production in the AHL this year may not be indicative of his offensive talent. On that OKC team he was buried behind some pretty gifted players. This, of course, isn't to say that I think he has great offensive production.
That surprises me given that he played the softest minutes on the Oilers and still had some of the worst possession numbers.

He's slow and from what I've seen not smart enough to make up for it. His tools are average and he's not exactly big either. If he ever makes it, he'll be a 13th forward at best and even that is stretching it. I can't say I like any of what I've seen. Guys like Lander are a big reason why the OKC suck this season despite having some the highest scoring Top 6 in the league (he's on their abysmal PK too).

Honestly, I'm surprised you have so much positive to say about him given your stance on Schroeder, who is a significantly better player (so much so that I don't even know why I'm comparing the two). To me even Rodin has significantly higher upside than Lander, even after how he has played this year.

Last edited by Tiranis: 01-22-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Closed Thread