HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2013, 07:25 PM
  #326
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
You know I'm thinking Honzik is starting to play his way into a contract. He now has similar numbers playing for the worst team in the league (by a long shot) as he did playing for one of the best teams the last few years. He has allowed only 3 goals in the past 3 games.

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
  #327
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Yeah, I've seen him a bit but he's still pretty raw.

At least another 2-3 seasons. He's still got 2 more years in Junior. Unfortunately his team is underwhelming in my opinion.
Raw? At the draft, he was heralded as one of the most NHL ready guys in the draft. Jankowski is raw. Gaunce's defensive game is pretty mature and polished already. As Tiranis said, I think he is excellent defensively, his defensive mind set and body are ready for the NHL, if you want him to play a limited role for us. If you want him to develop into a more well-rounded offensive player, then give him another year of being the go to guy.

I guarantee that Gaunce will not play his overage season in the OHL. He may go back to the OHL next season but it's AHL after that.

Belleville is only underwhelming if you are expecting a high scoring team. They are still an elite team in the OHL and should/will challenge for the championship this season. First in their division, Third in the east while playing the fewest games. Now with their deadline additions, they look even more dangerous and poised for a long run.

The only question in my mind is his aggressiveness and whether he can keep up with the speed of the NHL and the only way to test that is in exhibition games and perhaps a short trial next season. He has the hockey sense, the strength, an NHL caliber shot to perhaps surprise. But he needs to be pushed in terms of skating and moving his feet and the NHL will force him to adjust. The OHL may only make him more complacent because he can get away with it there. A good offseason with power skating lessons 4 times a week could help him surprise in training camp next season.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:46 PM
  #328
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Raw? At the draft, he was heralded as one of the most NHL ready guys in the draft. Jankowski is raw. Gaunce's defensive game is pretty mature and polished already. As Tiranis said, I think he is excellent defensively, his defensive mind set and body are ready for the NHL, if you want him to play a limited role for us. If you want him to develop into a more well-rounded offensive player, then give him another year of being the go to guy.

I guarantee that Gaunce will not play his overage season in the OHL. He may go back to the OHL next season but it's AHL after that.

Belleville is only underwhelming if you are expecting a high scoring team. They are still an elite team in the OHL and should/will challenge for the championship this season. First in their division, Third in the east while playing the fewest games. Now with their deadline additions, they look even more dangerous and poised for a long run.

The only question in my mind is his aggressiveness and whether he can keep up with the speed of the NHL and the only way to test that is in exhibition games and perhaps a short trial next season. He has the hockey sense, the strength, an NHL caliber shot to perhaps surprise. But he needs to be pushed in terms of skating and moving his feet and the NHL will force him to adjust. The OHL may only make him more complacent because he can get away with it there. A good offseason with power skating lessons 4 times a week could help him surprise in training camp next season.
I didn't like the term 'raw' either.

I agree, if ourmanagement was like Philly's, Gaunce would have gotten a look this year.


Last edited by arsmaster*: 01-22-2013 at 08:06 PM.
arsmaster* is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
  #329
Taelin
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,171
vCash: 833
@TysonGiuriato:
Quote:
In his last three games, #Canucks prospect @DavidHonzik has a 1.26 GAA and .957 SV%. @CBSEHockey #QMJHL

Taelin is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:13 PM
  #330
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
@TysonGiuriato:
He'll be fighting hard to earn a contract from us.

timw33 is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:23 PM
  #331
ihaveyuidonttouchme
MrShiftbyShiftGuy
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 50
It's best not to look at Honzik's stats at this point as long as he's with that atrocious team (although that stat is very encouraging; he's been hot!).
He consistently tries to do everything he can to help them win but man that team is just....yeeesh! i hope he gets a chance to play in front of a good defense someday.
Whats the situation with him after his season is over? will he come back to this team or get a pto (via ahl contract prob to echl?

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:24 PM
  #332
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
It's best not to look at Honzik's stats at this point as long as he's with that team (although that stat is very encouraging; he's been hot!).
He consistently tries to do everything he can to help them win but man that team is just....yeeesh! i hope he gets a chance to play in front of a good defense someday.
Whats the situation with him after his season is over? will he come back to this team or get a pto contract prob to echl?
For him to stay in our system we have to sign him. At that point it's up to Canucks and him. He could of course go back to the Q, but I'm guessing they would prefer to send him to the ECHL to develop him (if we sign him, that is). Q is not great for goalies, especially in terms of building confidence in their game.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
  #333
ihaveyuidonttouchme
MrShiftbyShiftGuy
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
For him to stay in our system we have to sign him. At that point it's up to Canucks and him. He could of course go back to the Q, but I'm guessing they would prefer to send him to the ECHL to develop him (if we sign him, that is). Q is not great for goalies, especially in terms of building confidence in their game.
ah right i forgot about that. i got confused with Taylor Matson situation where i thought we gave him the pto contract but now i remember it was the wolves that gave him.

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline  
Old
01-22-2013, 08:31 PM
  #334
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
ah right i forgot about that. i got confused with Taylor Matson situation where i thought we gave him the pto contract but now i remember it was the wolves that gave him.
He could get a PTO this season from the Wolves or the K-Wings, but that's about it. After this season he's fair game so we either sign him or let him go.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:49 AM
  #335
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,128
vCash: 500
CA Article on Price (puns ftw!):
http://canucksarmy.com/2012/1/12/an-...orth-the-price

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:58 AM
  #336
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
That article is a year old fyi.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 12:59 AM
  #337
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
That article is a year old fyi.
LOL you're right, my bad. I was googling Price's stats and saw this article's date without looking at the year... dammit January!

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:01 AM
  #338
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
LOL you're right, my bad. I was googling Price's stats and saw this article's date without looking at the year... dammit January!
He is having another good year though. I would think he's guaranteed to get a contract.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 01:16 AM
  #339
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
He is having another good year though. I would think he's guaranteed to get a contract.
Same here. I'd be shocked and disappointed if he didn't. The only question here, I think, would be whether he steps into the AHL right away or starts in the E.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:05 AM
  #340
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
He is having another good year though. I would think he's guaranteed to get a contract.
Being a RHS he's especially valuable. We have Bieksa, Tanev, Corrado, and Price in the system as RHS defensemen. That's it, I believe. Maybe Hunt as well, unless he's a Chicago signee.

Price could become a solid third-pairing guy, decent at everything, including skating, passing, and hockey sense, but not outstanding in any way. A good guy to have around on the right side.

701 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 02:57 AM
  #341
canucksfan100
Registered User
 
canucksfan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 500
Man I miss luc. Good kid, wouldve been a stud

canucksfan100 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:19 AM
  #342
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,141
vCash: 50
Awards:
Nicklas Jensen is in action this morning with AIK. Game starts in about an hour.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 11:46 AM
  #343
Pip
Registered User
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 62,585
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Nicklas Jensen is in action this morning with AIK. Game starts in about an hour.
damn, oh well, hope someone can post a nice summery of his performance as I won't be able to see it.

Pip is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM
  #344
canucksfan100
Registered User
 
canucksfan100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 500
Imagine how much cap space + how good the offense would be if Luc was still with us and we drafted Ristolainen this year. The Homegrown D Corps would be great and much cheaper than signing Hamhuis and Garrison, Granted we may have not done as good as the last few years.

Edler- Bieksa
Bourdon - Tanev
Ristolainen - Corrardo

canucksfan100 is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
  #345
PRNuck
Sell the team.
 
PRNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,412
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Nicklas Jensen is in action this morning with AIK. Game starts in about an hour.
No points

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  #346
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post
Imagine how much cap space + how good the offense would be if Luc was still with us and we drafted Ristolainen this year. The Homegrown D Corps would be great and much cheaper than signing Hamhuis and Garrison, Granted we may have not done as good as the last few years.

Edler- Bieksa
Bourdon - Tanev
Ristolainen - Corrardo
To be honest, thinking about it just makes me sad...I'll never forget Luc, but I prefer not to dwell on it.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
  #347
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,128
vCash: 500
Some praise from Shaves for Andersson:
Quote:
mitchel hughes ‏@mitchelkelowna
@theshaves how has peter Anderson looked so far this year?

Jason Shaver ‏@theshaves
@mitchelkelowna very good for his 1st season in North America. Coaches really like how he defends & he has been a key penalty killer.

vanuck is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:02 PM
  #348
BerSTUzzi
Registered User
 
BerSTUzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,359
vCash: 500
Gaunce with a goal so far

BerSTUzzi is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:05 PM
  #349
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Gaunce with a goal so far
Two now.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-23-2013, 07:11 PM
  #350
ihaveyuidonttouchme
MrShiftbyShiftGuy
 
ihaveyuidonttouchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,834
vCash: 50
ah i just tuned in and i missed both goals...-_-

ihaveyuidonttouchme is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.