HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2013, 07:19 PM
MS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Tell us how you really feel.

University isn't for everyone.
Both the Canucks and BU had a lot invested in this guy, and for him to quit on the NCAA 20 games in is ridiculous.

It isn't like he's an 18 y/o freshman who can spend two full seasons in the WHL/OHL after this and still develop. His pro career options are zero. He's probably headed to the BCHL for 20 games, then to the WPHL or something like that.

He's nowhere near ready to play pro hockey, so there's no way we can sign him. So we'll lose his rights, not that they'll be worth anything anyway when he's playing for the Odessa Jackelopes.

Guy has basically just nuked his career, when he had a great ride for the next 3.5 years at a top college program.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
he must have received some counsel from somewhere that suggested this was a viable option?

Old
02-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
he must have received some counsel from somewhere that suggested this was a viable option?
You have to think the Canucks were at least somewhat involved in this. Whether they agreed with the decision or not is another matter.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You have to think the Canucks were at least somewhat involved in this.
not particularly. it's very possible he went to his agent and said "i want to make money now instead of go to college" and his agent said "well you can do this"

he might not have even talked to the canucks

Old
02-01-2013, 07:24 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
No he's kept it to a 2-1 game so far...38 saves after 2 periods is ridiculous.
8-0 last night with the other goalie against the same team to 2-1 tonight with Honzik.

1st star of the game on the road....

Old
02-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
not particularly. it's very possible he went to his agent and said "i want to make money now instead of go to college" and his agent said "well you can do this"

Can't imagine that's how it went down and if it did he has the worst 'advisor' on the planet.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Well he couldn't have called him 'agent' until leaving...but yeah, a smart 'advisor' would have contacted the Canucks.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:26 PM
MS

Quote:
You have to think the Canucks were at least somewhat involved in this. Whether they agreed with the decision or not is another matter.
No idea. But I can't see how they would be happy about it.

He's an NCAA 4th liner right now, probably can't even stick in the ECHL much less the AHL. So there's no way we can spend a contract slot on him. And we'll now lose his rights on June 1 2014 instead of having them through 2016 while he was at a great school.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:30 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Both the Canucks and BU had a lot invested in this guy, and for him to quit on the NCAA 20 games in is ridiculous.
I'm not disagreeing that this was a poor decision by him, but the Canucks invested a 6th round pick in the guy, IMO you can't quantify that as 'a lot'....it's not like he was a 'sure thing' anyways.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:33 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Wow, what a terrible decision.

There's no way we sign him right now, and he only has like 20 games of CHL eligibility as an overage player, at a point where all teams pretty much have their overage slots sorted. So probably has no options there.

As a guy who is a fringe-y college player right now, he won't even be able to compete in the ECHL. Headed for some rung lower than that.

Absolute idiocy. He might not have been playing much right now, but would have had 4 years at a great college program to develop, with an NHL team overseeing the process. Now he's cast himself into the hockey wilderness and is a total write-off. Career suicide.

Disappointing. Doesn't speak much for his character, either.
Yeah... I can't see Gillis being ok with this either.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm not disagreeing that this was a poor decision by him, but the Canucks invested a 6th round pick in the guy, IMO you can't quantify that as 'a lot'....it's not like he was a 'sure thing' anyways.
Most guys would kill to have any NHL team invest any pick in them.

Of course he's not a sure thing, but he was drafted on the idea that 4 years of college hockey might mold him into something worth signing by 2016. Instead that's totally out the window.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:43 PM
Bleach Clean

Agree with MS, dumb move by Myron.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:56 PM
thefeebster

I agree, a moronic move by Myron. As I said, he would have had a good chance at a top 6 spot next season with a good coach and a coach that likes him. I don't understand this decision. And there is no way his advisor wouldnt have told the Canucks.

Also have to wonder whether this pro angle is just a cover for poor academics or maybe he just doesn't like college. Whatever the reason, it seems like a poor one developmentally.

Hopefully Beattie sticks it through his rough patch right now and doesn't bail Yale.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Wow. Well I guess his career is pretty well done.

On another note I believe David Honzik needs to be signed this year right? I think we should sign him and continue on, he hasn't had great stats but the team he is on is beyond downright terrible.

He has alot of tools and assets that might make him worthwhile. What does everyone else think?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Wow. Well I guess his career is pretty well done.

On another note I believe David Honzik needs to be signed this year right? I think we should sign him and continue on, he hasn't had great stats but the team he is on is beyond downright terrible.

He has alot of tools and assets that might make him worthwhile. What does everyone else think?
Easy sign for me. Goalies are unpredictable and he has the tools.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Intoewsables

Sure would be great to hear from Gillis about the Myron situation. Unfortunately our media probably doesn't even know who he is so no chance anyone asks MG.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Me too. You have to sign him.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Feebster or Orcatown: If we're really tight against the cap next year, is there any chance Andersson could step in as a #6 lining up alongside Tanev? Does he play the safe type of game that could make the transition to the NHL relatively painless?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Feebster or Orcatown: If we're really tight against the cap next year, is there any chance Andersson could step in as a #6 lining up alongside Tanev?
No.

Quote:
Does he play the safe type of game that could make the transition to the NHL relatively painless?
Yes.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:18 PM
MS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Me too. You have to sign him.
Meh ... I hate signing mid-round goalie picks who had average junior careers. Never seem to work out. He's having a nice little blip in front of a shooting gallery right now, but is still a guy who hasn't cleared an .890 save % in three years in the Q.

There are several young goalies putting up great years in the SEL and I'd much rather we stocked our system on that front with surer bets who have already shown an ability to compete against men at a near-AHL level.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:22 PM
timw33

Why, Myron, why?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
No.

Yes.
Are you basing the 'no' on his physical development, sidedness or the team's track record of signing an aging vet for #6 duties instead?

Old
02-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Meh ... I hate signing mid-round goalie picks who had average junior careers. Never seem to work out. He's having a nice little blip in front of a shooting gallery right now, but is still a guy who hasn't cleared an .890 save % in three years in the Q.

There are several young goalies putting up great years in the SEL and I'd much rather we stocked our system on that front with surer bets who have already shown an ability to compete against men at a near-AHL level.
If it was up to me, the Canucks wouldn't even draft goalies.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Quote:

The downside of 3 year ELC's is you usually won't sign a guy like Honzik even though a one year contract would probably be good for both parties.

Old
02-01-2013, 08:28 PM
MS

Quote:
Are you basing the 'no' on his physical development, sidedness or the team's track record of signing an aging vet for #6 duties instead?
Development.

He's had a decent first season and looks like he might be something in a couple years maybe, but he's nowhere close to the NHL and is still a 3rd-pairing type in the AHL.

Hope for next season would be that he can play 20+ minutes on a consistent basis in the AHL as a top 2/3 defender there and if so, can maybe be in the mix for 2014-15.

Still a hell of a longshot though.

Closed Thread