HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 12:12 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/02...RmO/story.html
I presume this refers to the scandal that McNally was a part of...
So I wonder if this forces his hand in terms of turning pro?

Who is our resident Harvard expert again? Love to hear what you've heard?
Oh dear, I guess you mean me, an "expert" purely by default.

This seems like old news. We already knew that McNally was forced to withdraw from Harvard for a year because of his involvement in the cheating scandal. The stupid stodgy university administration is just *at last* saying something officially.
Harvard makes me roll my eyes sometimes.

It's a year's suspension, which is quite different from being expelled. It's a very big deal for anyone of university age--"OMG I'll be a sophomore NEXT year too!!!"--and perhaps especially for a young athlete. But it also could be a valuable learning experience. I was kicked out of a military school after failing grade 8, and was sent far from home to a religious boarding school to repeat the grade and get my life in shape. One of the courses I failed (Latin) eventually helped get me into Harvard because I won prizes in it. McNally might wake up too, in his own way. But I and others have discussed the hockey aspect of McNally's suspension to death, earlier in this thread.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Tiranis

Blomstrand had an assist as his team lost in the shootout. He missed on his shootout attempt (first shooter for his team).

Old
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM

Wow, Harvard has absolutely collapsed since McNally and Everson were suspended. Here's a sample from the Crimson article, but check out the whole thing. It makes McNally seem even more valuable to the team than perhaps any of us knew; the impact on the "Orr-esque" Biega's scoring has been stunning:

"The results during the absence of Everson and McNally speak for themselves.

Since their names were deleted from the roster, the Crimson has not won a single game in regulation. The teamís last regulation win came on Nov. 16 over Cornell.

At the beginning of the season, Harvardís goals-against average with the defensive duo in the lineup was 2.14. Without them, itís 4.25.

And with McNally off the power play unit, the Crimsonís success rate has dropped precipitously. Last year, Harvard converted 27.4 percent of its opportunities to lead the NCAA. This year, Harvard is dead-last in the ECAC at 10.5 percent.

Co-captain and defenseman Danny Biega has been unable to approach the Orr-esque numbers of seasons past. The defenseman has recorded only five points (all assists) this season, well off the pace for a third 30-point season."

http://www.thecrimson.com/column/nex...ockey-defense/

Old
02-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm going to wait and see how this situation evolves. Not going to read into comments by a coach who seems pretty bitter at this point. That said, if it were up to me he would be in college, working hard to get his opportunity in the Top 6 next year. But I might not know all the details so I'll just wait and see.
There seems to be a malaise at the heart of BU hockey these days. The BU USCHO fan board routinely complains of the coach being way past his due date, with a particular inability to motivate his players. For whatever reasons, 6 players in 2.5 seasons have left the team in mid-season by their own choice.

To be fair, some fans lay the blame solely on Myron wanting ice time that he in no way deserved, despite being a Parker favourite at the start of the season. They say he was playing like he wanted out long before he quit. Personally I wonder if he was ever all that interested in the academic side of university; BU is a pretty good school, and bench-warming plus challenging courses could have been too much for him to handle. Also, BU recently had a drunken orgy hockey scandal--sex in the penalty box, sexual assault, naked coed skating in the rink while ripped, that kind of thing--so they shut down that stuff, and what is a good Canadian kid going to do for fun?

But there's a lot of bitter blame too for Jack Parker:

"Okay so Cisse and Myron are gone.....and the team continues to lose. If its the players fault for quitting and leaving the program, why does the program still suck on the ice after these guys are gone?

Look, I'm long passed calling for Parker to go, but I think we're at the point where I feel sad for him. Somebody close to him, be it a family member, a peer, or a former player needs to pull him aside, explain reality, and then tell him its time to go. I get why he sticks around. Its not easy for someone with the determination to be a legendary coach to just be able to turn it off like that. However, at some point you have to realize what everybody else does. The coach's strength was never in player development or motivation. It solely rested on recruitment. If he can no longer get the recruits or if they're taking off after a year or two here even if they have no prospects elsewhere, this situation will not reverse itself."

"Rover the lemmings and worshipers (including many on here) will never realize what the astute observers have seen for years. Now I am telling you this "sample size" is going on 15 years. I enjoyed the 2009 title for about 15 minutes because I knew it would lead to another decade of underperformance, dysfunction and arrogance. We were a couple of own goals away by BU opponents of being done with Parker for good, frustrating.So its Groundhog Day (for real)with the BU hockey program but the "followers" still trust the "celebrity" coach, I cant think of any other reason why they refuse to look at reality."

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Part-II/page11

Old
02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
There seems to be a malaise at the heart of BU hockey these days. The BU USCHO fan board routinely complains of the coach being way past his due date, with a particular inability to motivate his players. For whatever reasons, 6 players in 2.5 seasons have left the team in mid-season by their own choice.

To be fair, some fans lay the blame solely on Myron wanting ice time that he in no way deserved, despite being a Parker favourite at the start of the season. They say he was playing like he wanted out long before he quit. Personally I wonder if he was ever all that interested in the academic side of university; BU is a pretty good school, and bench-warming plus challenging courses could have been too much for him to handle. Also, BU recently had a drunken orgy hockey scandal--sex in the penalty box, sexual assault, naked coed skating in the rink while ripped, that kind of thing--so they shut down that stuff, and what is a good Canadian kid going to do for fun?

But there's a lot of bitter blame too for Jack Parker:

"Okay so Cisse and Myron are gone.....and the team continues to lose. If its the players fault for quitting and leaving the program, why does the program still suck on the ice after these guys are gone?

Look, I'm long passed calling for Parker to go, but I think we're at the point where I feel sad for him. Somebody close to him, be it a family member, a peer, or a former player needs to pull him aside, explain reality, and then tell him its time to go. I get why he sticks around. Its not easy for someone with the determination to be a legendary coach to just be able to turn it off like that. However, at some point you have to realize what everybody else does. The coach's strength was never in player development or motivation. It solely rested on recruitment. If he can no longer get the recruits or if they're taking off after a year or two here even if they have no prospects elsewhere, this situation will not reverse itself."

"Rover the lemmings and worshipers (including many on here) will never realize what the astute observers have seen for years. Now I am telling you this "sample size" is going on 15 years. I enjoyed the 2009 title for about 15 minutes because I knew it would lead to another decade of underperformance, dysfunction and arrogance. We were a couple of own goals away by BU opponents of being done with Parker for good, frustrating.So its Groundhog Day (for real)with the BU hockey program but the "followers" still trust the "celebrity" coach, I cant think of any other reason why they refuse to look at reality."

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...Part-II/page11
Damn I didn't realize Myron left, I thought he was just being healthy scratched. Where to now? Does a dub team own his rights?

Old
02-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Damn I didn't realize Myron left, I thought he was just being healthy scratched. Where to now? Does a dub team own his rights?
Not far above in this thread is discussion and speculation about all that. The Zoo seems to be leading the pack of destinations for Myron.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:31 PM
jigsaw99

so now we have McNally and Myron in limbo?

Old
02-02-2013, 04:54 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Not far above in this thread is discussion and speculation about all that. The Zoo seems to be leading the pack of destinations for Myron.
Oh gross.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:00 PM
ZenMaster*

Quote:
Oh gross.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's helping Mallet, Grenier developing and has already pushed Archibald to the AHL level.

Old
02-02-2013, 06:11 PM
timw33

Gaunce scores an early one, his 20th of the year.

Update:

Belville up 4-1 now, Alan Quine with 1G 1A (18P in 9GP w/Belville).

Looks like the Bulls are poised for a playoff run.

6-3 Bulls now, 6 different goal scorers.

Last edited by timw33: 02-02-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, it's helping Mallet, Grenier developing and has already pushed Archibald to the AHL level.
Right on. And anyway, what other professional league would be welcoming a guy who was routinely being benched in the NCAA halfway through his first season, after being given a regular spot at the start?

I'd think its only by the divine intervention of the Gillis God that the Zoo opens the door of its cage for him.

Who knows, he may yet turn out to be a hidden gem, but his stat line at BU looks like the horizon at sea.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Could Myron not transfer to another college somehow?

Old
02-02-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
That isn't easy, or else a lot of players might try doing it. I think you loose at least an NCAA year if you want to switch. Spend one season as a redshirt in between schools. I know it isn't easy, but I could be wrong about the details.

At any rate, I think Myron has had enough of college and wants to go pro.

Old
02-02-2013, 08:27 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
That isn't easy, or else a lot of players might try doing it. I think you loose at least an NCAA year if you want to switch. Spend one season as a redshirt in between schools. I know it isn't easy, but I could be wrong about the details.

At any rate, I think Myron has had enough of college and wants to go pro.
I'd rather that, I think, than have him become an ECHL 4th liner at this point. Either way it's not ideal. So much college drama this year with our prospects!

Old
02-02-2013, 09:59 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
You don't know that, it's way too soon to know if it's helping their development.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Awards:
LaBate with another assist in a 4-1 loss for Wisconsin, tonight.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:04 AM
Blue Suede Shoes
hound dog

I just noticed something kind of funny while looking at Jordan Staal, and then remembering the comparison that was made between him and Gaunce around the time Gaunce was drafted.

In their respective draft years they put up the following stat line:

Stall OHL 68 28 40 68 69
Gaunce OHL 68 28 40 68 68

I suppose this doesn't mean much, but it is interesting.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Cntrmid

Procedural question here..

I notice that this thread rarely contains statistical updates on our prospects on the Wolves. I know that there is a Wolves thread, but imo (and mainly because I work in Int Development and use internet connections that remind one of the early 90s - ie. page loading line by line) it would great if this thread were more of a one-stop-shop update resource on our prospect pool. Therefore, if any of you Wolves followers feel like posting a quick little stat-line for our boys after the games, some of us would appreciate it!

But today is Sunday so I suffered through the AHL site and am really impressed by Canatta's recent and overall numbers. Great to see.

Andersson also appears to be doing well.Thanks to the posters a few pages back giving input on him.

Have said it before, but this thread is easily the best resource out there for following our prospects. Just want to thank the ones doing the bulk of the posting on here for all of us lurkers out there.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Oilers Chick
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Once he signs a pro contract, he is no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey. If he doesn't, then yes he can, but he would have to sit out a year due to NCAA transfer rules.

BTW, the Boston Hockey Blog has more details on why Myron left. You can read it HERE.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
You don't know that, it's way too soon to know if it's helping their development.
Uh, nor do you know if it's hindering- it goes both ways. More evidence points to it helping than it hurting, thus far.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:15 PM
RobertKron

Isn't the stuff that Parker is saying about Myron basically the exact same thing he said about Cisse? Oh he was always unhappy because he didn't want to face adversity and have to work for it, and so on.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Waveburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Method Man View Post
I just noticed something kind of funny while looking at Jordan Staal, and then remembering the comparison that was made between him and Gaunce around the time Gaunce was drafted.

In their respective draft years they put up the following stat line:

Stall OHL 68 28 40 68 69
Gaunce OHL 68 28 40 68 68

I suppose this doesn't mean much, but it is interesting.
I'm sure you know this, but this is why stats are not the best way to draft players. At the time of the draft scouts felt Staal had a huge offensive upside due to his skating, puck protection skills, heavy shot, high hockey IQ and good vision. They saw significant projection, which is why he was ranked as a top 3 pick.

Gaunce is the opposite. After playing for 2 years in the OHL scouts had soured on his vision, shot, hockey IQ and acceleration and saw a prototypical third liner, not a guy who had the raw talent to be a top line player. Now I'm not saying that Gaunce has poor hockey IQ or a weak shot-just that in every one of these categories he is clearly below the ability of Staal.

Gaunce was still a great pick where the Canucks were IMO. Third line is where I see his future, hopefully a Joel Otto type of player. I'll take that as a late first any day.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
gsharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cntrmid View Post
This thread is easily the best resource out there for following our prospects. Just want to thank the ones doing the bulk of the posting on here for all of us lurkers out there.
This

Old
02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
I'm sure you know this, but this is why stats are not the best way to draft players. At the time of the draft scouts felt Staal had a huge offensive upside due to his skating, puck protection skills, heavy shot, high hockey IQ and good vision. They saw significant projection, which is why he was ranked as a top 3 pick.

Gaunce is the opposite. After playing for 2 years in the OHL scouts had soured on his vision, shot, hockey IQ and acceleration and saw a prototypical third liner, not a guy who had the raw talent to be a top line player. Now I'm not saying that Gaunce has poor hockey IQ or a weak shot-just that in every one of these categories he is clearly below the ability of Staal.

Gaunce was still a great pick where the Canucks were IMO. Third line is where I see his future, hopefully a Joel Otto type of player. I'll take that as a late first any day.
Too much exaggeration in this post.

To the best of my knowledge, scouts did not sour on Gaunce's shot, IQ, or acceleration. I wouldn't say they soured on anything, if there is one knock on Gaunce is he has slow feet (very good top speed), doesn't seem to take or make skilled plays at top speed, and his game isn't predicated on all out 'visible' effort (like a Jannick Hansen type guy).

His coach in Belleville compares him with Jordan Staal, not the player the role...all situations (1st PP, 1st PK, 5-3 for and against) good on the draw, strong on the wall, hard heavy shot, good vision.

I feel Staal will be the better guy taking on defenders and goalies one on one, but to say his shot is any heavier than Gaunce's at the same age is just wrong. Staal still doesn't have a great NHL 'shot', he scores most of his goals within 15 feet of the net.

Gaunce may not turn out anywhere as good as Staal (pretty unlikely) but I just didn't like the exaggerations and comparisons you drew in your post.

I like that a Joel Otto type is probably Gaunce's floor, that size and ability to grind on the cycle and along the boards will keep employed for a long time.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Blue Suede Shoes
hound dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post

Especially in what looks like a very weak draft.

Closed Thread