HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Power Rankings- TML 26th

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
  #51
Beleafer4
Registered User
 
Beleafer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,632
vCash: 500
I dont agree with a lot of the rankings, but w.e. TSN always plays it safe.

Leafs are being underrated. I hope they finish that low though.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
  #52
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,553
vCash: 500
I don't believe TSN has taken into account the leadership of Phaneuf on defense and Kessel on offense.

I'm saying the entire season rests on Kessel staying healthy.

Healthy Kessel = playoffs.

__________________
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Keon

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:08 PM
  #53
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
I understand the ranking but all rankings are even more speculative than usual with the radically shortened season. Let the season roll!

67Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
  #54
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Andrei Markov a top pairing Dman played 13 games last year, adding a healthy #1 Dman makes a difference.

Captain Gionta a regular 25-30 goal scorer played only 31 games (8-7-15 points) due to injury.

Max Pac (33 goals) + Eric Cole (35 goals) >> Phil Kessel (37 goals) 2 X 30 goal scorers verses 1 and if Lupul does it its a break even at best.

Price verses Reimer is not a fair match.
- Montreal -14 goal differential verses Toronto -33.
- Montreal 226 goals against 5th best in the NHL verses Toronto 264 ga 29th worst overall.
- Montreal PK% #2 overall in NHL verses Toronto #28th overall

Alexander Galchenyuk verses Morgan Rielly

Montreal playoffs 5 of past 6 seasons verses Toronto 0 of last 6.

Montreal new GM and Coach = Toronto new GM & Coach.

These two teams are not close in comparison.
The Habs are trending downwards, whereas the Leafs have bottomed out and haven't done anything to get worse. They added McClement to improve the PK, and Reimer missed quite a few games due to injury, and wasn't the same coming back.

Add van Riemsdyk to the top 6 and the Leafs have built themselves a stronger forward group. The Habs added Prust and Moen to the bottom 6, so they got tougher too, but nothing fixes their troubles scoring goals.

Not saying you don't have valid points in some cases, but there are considerations in the opposite direction too.

IMO the Habs will take longer to get out of the basement than the Leafs.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  #55
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't believe TSN has taken into account the leadership of Phaneuf on defense and Kessel on offense.

I'm saying the entire season rests on Kessel staying healthy.

Healthy Kessel = playoffs.
I think this year is going to be just all over the place. Think about it -- a 5 game hot streak makes up roughly 1/10 of the total points available to you. That's crazy.

If the Leafs start out with their patented "win one game in the first ten" this season is over before it began. Hell, even a 1-4 start is pretty devastating. It's going to be a wild one, that's for sure

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
  #56
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 54,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
The Habs are trending downwards, whereas the Leafs have bottomed out and haven't done anything to get worse. They added McClement to improve the PK, and Reimer missed quite a few games due to injury, and wasn't the same coming back.

Add van Riemsdyk to the top 6 and the Leafs have built themselves a stronger forward group. The Habs added Prust and Moen to the bottom 6, so they got tougher too, but nothing fixes their troubles scoring goals.

Not saying you don't have valid points in some cases, but there are considerations in the opposite direction too.

IMO the Habs will take longer to get out of the basement than the Leafs.
Doesn't that depend on Galchenyuk?

Price is young
Subban is young
Galchenyuk is a kid

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  #57
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
holy crap the oilers are almost an NHL12 fantasy team!

lets watch them dominate the conference and sweep all teams

1st overalls = success !

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  #58
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I don't believe TSN has taken into account the leadership of Phaneuf on defense and Kessel on offense.

I'm saying the entire season rests on Kessel staying healthy.

Healthy Kessel = playoffs.
Wink, wink, nudge nudge say no more.

Last season with a healthy Kessel finishing 6th overall in NHL scoring and the Leafs finished 5th last overall.

Kessel will need to duplicate last years point pace for Leafs to simply break-even in the standings, & if he declines or is injured is game over as far as playoff aspirations. Ditto for Phaneuf as he finished 12th in Dman scoring on the same bottom 5 team.

New coach playing better defense will put a strain on offensive numbers in a more conservative attack style for individual players but perhaps make the biggest difference in the standings where "defense wins championships" is the recipe for success.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  #59
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Wink, wink, nudge nudge say no more.

Last season with a healthy Kessel finishing 6th overall in NHL scoring and the Leafs finished 5th last overall.

Kessel will need to duplicate last years point pace for Leafs to simply break-even in the standings, & if he declines or is injured is game over as far as playoff aspirations. Ditto for Phaneuf as he finished 12th in Dman scoring on the same bottom 5 team.

New coach playing better defense will put a strain on offensive numbers in a more conservative attack style for individual players but perhaps make the biggest difference in the standings where "defense wins championships" is the recipe for success.
Not sure if I agree there. Anaheim still had great production from their big guns under Carlyle.

On the other hand, we all saw what happened to Washington under Hunter. So who knows? This is gonna be fun one.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  #60
67Cup
Registered User
 
67Cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Agreed, Leaf offensive numbers will likely go down with a more defense oriented coach. We just don't know if the defensive numbers will improve enough to compensate for the likely loss in offense. Just one of the many imponderables this season. But the odds are good the Leafs will be drafting high again. This is another argument against disposing of high draft choices before what is projected as a very good draft.

67Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  #61
Didact
Nonis lost his mind
 
Didact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Not sure if I agree there. Anaheim still had great production from their big guns under Carlyle.

On the other hand, we all saw what happened to Washington under Hunter. So who knows? This is gonna be fun one.
helps thier numbers when Carlyle couldn't play his plugs most of the time and had to run his big guys

Didact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:22 PM
  #62
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Doesn't that depend on Galchenyuk?

Price is young
Subban is young
Galchenyuk is a kid
Nice blueprint for building from the goalie out through strong defense and strength down the middle through center ice potential right there for Montreal and its future young core building blocks.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  #63
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
How are we behind the habs?
On paper, I think many Habs fans would tell you, it's a coin flip who's worse. 27th no upgrade except Markov healty for now...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
  #64
Man Bear Pig
Registered User
 
Man Bear Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 8,529
vCash: 500

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:44 PM
  #65
Joufreau
Registered User
 
Joufreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Anyone surprised at this? I'm not...leafs will not be pushing for a playoff spot this year....what else is new?

Joufreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM
  #66
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Nice blueprint for building from the goalie out through strong defense and strength down the middle through center ice potential right there for Montreal and its future young core building blocks.
Goalie yes, who they got years ago. Subban was a 2nd round pick.

Anyway they are horridly weak down the centre, Gomez, Gionta and Desharnes are tiny centres.

Galchenyuk also may end up playing on the wing, and he definitely didnt look amazing in the bigger games at the WJC, yes he got 8 points, but most were in the early weaker games. Alot of harder games you wouldn't even be able to tell it was him on the ice.

He's got potential, but to think he's gonna be the difference maker and somehow make them awesome this year I just dont see it.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
  #67
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,540
vCash: 50
Weird that we're above Fla and Wpg

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:49 PM
  #68
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Shortened season will make it a little different.

Past two years we've always come out strong out the gate(what 2010-11 we went 5-0? and then last year 4-0-1?)

Kessel tends to score ALOT in the early games, which tends to win us alot of those games.

Goaltending is a huge question mark, which could very well be our downfall. I dont think the #1C problem will keep us out of the playoffs if we have solid goaltending.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:50 PM
  #69
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK
 
AmazedRink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
at least theres nowhere to go but up.

AmazedRink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
  #70
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
Goalie yes, who they got years ago. Subban was a 2nd round pick.

Anyway they are horridly weak down the centre, Gomez, Gionta and Desharnes are tiny centres.

Galchenyuk also may end up playing on the wing, and he definitely didnt look amazing in the bigger games at the WJC, yes he got 8 points, but most were in the early weaker games. Alot of harder games you wouldn't even be able to tell it was him on the ice.

He's got potential, but to think he's gonna be the difference maker and somehow make them awesome this year I just dont see it.
Gionta is a RW


GM Bergevin has said, that he likes that Galchenyuk can play the wing, but that the Habs believe he is a center not a wing in the NHL.

Looking down the road the Habs have only Desharnais that is "tiny", Galchenyuk is 6'1, Eller 6'2.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
  #71
7even
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
at least theres nowhere to go but up.
This man gets it

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  #72
rdawg1234
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Gionta is a RW


GM Bergevin has said, that he likes that Galchenyuk can play the wing, but that the Habs believe he is a center not a wing in the NHL.

Looking down the road the Habs have only Desharnais that is "tiny", Galchenyuk is 6'1, Eller 6'2.
pretty underwhelming still. Eller hasnt exactly proven anything beyond being a 3rd line C.

Galchenyuk has alot of growing to do. Galchenyuk is their only true top 6 centre that deserves that place, but he's a couple years away.

we'll see, they have some decent prospects, definitely alot of work to do just like us.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
  #73
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Carey Price + healthy Markov + off season last year..

Montreal has been in the playoffs 5 of the past 6 seasons, only missing last year, so that could simple be considered an anomaly (off season, for whatever reason).

Toronto has been in the playoffs 0 of the past 6 seasons.
Sorry but I have to point out, that Andrei Markov is awful.


It's odd that we're behind the habs considering how suspect their defense is (I mean, I guess so is ours).... interesting to say the least.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
  #74
Drew75
Registered User
 
Drew75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
The best thing I think could happen for the Leafs this year is:

a) pass on Lou - sorry, we need a goalie, but that contract will screw us for years when we have to have $3mil cap hit year after year when he retires early - for the long term health of this franchise - no thank you!

b) Go with the status quo - moving guys like Connelly, Lombardi, MacAurther for pics at the deadline

c) Buy out Komisarek at the end of the year when it won't count against the cap. In fact, the Leafs should be trading for another bad contract to buy out as well (we get two), and taking another 1st in exchange

d) draft high, and preferrable more than once in the first round.

e) use the massive cap space, flexibility, and the rush of struggling teams having to drop $10million to get a centre and a goalie (not counting the ones we drafted high )

Based on that - I'll take a low spot in the power rankings now with a smile!

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
  #75
KuleminFan41
Registered User
 
KuleminFan41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Portugal
Posts: 4,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Shortened Season does not expose Toronto's horrible lack of Conditioning.

I think we make the Playoffs - Unfortunately. Without Phil Kessel who will be injured majority of season.
So if we win the cup,you'd be the most angry Leafs fan huh?

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.