HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
We can wait too. Hell, we've sucked for this long, we can suck a little longer. Hell, maybe Reimer's bad season was just a sophomore slump? Point is, if Luongo costs too much for Nonis, he'll wait it out, and see what happens. Best case, Reimer goes back to year 1 form and we're a good(ish) team. Worst case, we freaking bomb and get a great pick.

If you can wait, we certainly can too.
I don't get the impression that MLSE wants to wait, especially by their firing of Burke and the reports that have come out that Burke would have been fired at the end of this season had the Leafs missed the playoffs anyways. While the fans might be willing to wait, is MLSE?

01-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Pip

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think either option makes more sense than trading a top 5 goalie for a mediocre third line center. Better yet, keep our goalie and trade a 3rd round pick for someone better than Bozak.
who is this better player that could be acquired for a third rounder?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
yoss

just scanning, waiting for the inevitable tweet/s. Who will it be? Anything could happen!

Old
01-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
just scanning, waiting for the inevitable tweet/s. Who will it be? Anything could happen!
I truely just want this saga to end

Old
01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoss View Post
Same here, I want this to be over! the damn MOU still has to be drafted and signed...FML

Old
01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
who is this better player that could be acquired for a third rounder?
Not sure, but we did get Higgins at the deadline one year for a 3rd round pick so I'm sure there are options out there.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
So what if the Canucks eat $1 mil of Luongo's salary/year...
If you are the Leafs, an extra $1M in cap space still doesn't equate Gardiner into the situation.

Leafs have so much cap space next year, that extra mil isn't worth all that much.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
I don't get the impression that MLSE wants to wait, especially by their firing of Burke and the reports that have come out that Burke would have been fired at the end of this season had the Leafs missed the playoffs anyways. While the fans might be willing to wait, is MLSE?
it's obvious that MLSE is desperate to make the playoffs. If Luongo gets traded to another team, I could see Nonis being fired the following day

Old
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Quote:
*Insert locker room distraction/long contract/cap space argument here*. That can work both ways. And while you may not agree, I may not agree that MLSE is not willing to wait. Seems like both arguments are relatively equal. Guess we'll see what happens in the end; but I really do think both organizations can wait (Along with Florida).

I just hope this is over soon. I really do.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:24 PM
LickTheEnvelope
5th Overall Blows 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
If you are the Leafs, an extra $1M in cap space still doesn't equate Gardiner into the situation.

Leafs have so much cap space next year, that extra mil isn't worth all that much.

So if Luongo's cap is $1 mil less he's worth Gardiner, but if the Canucks eat that $1 mil/year he isn't worth Gardiner.

... I fully understand...

Old
01-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:

cap space means nothing if nobody wants to sign there. Luongo would change that.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
cap space means nothing if nobody wants to sign there. Luongo would change that.
What? You can use cap space to acquire players via trade...

Old
01-12-2013, 05:27 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Short Answer: Yes.

Burke's firing was a result of his personality and him not "fitting the brand" that Bell/Rogers wanted to present, not so much on-ice performance. Given that Tanenbaum was seemingly against the firing and Rogers has given Anthopoulous near-complete autonomy, I don't see why either would support mortgaging the future to trade for a goalie who's signed until he's 43. I could be wrong, of course, I'm not in the board room but it doesn't fit the past of either.

Last edited by htpwn: 01-12-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I'd love to hear an explanation on why you think that.
Well, to be fair, I sort of agree with that statement.

From his first day at the job as the Leafs GM till to this date, there hasn't been a single draft pick which has made any sort of impact on our roster, let alone solidify the spot on the roster. I guess Kadri finally looks ready to go and he looks like he can grab a legit spot now but it is still yet unknown whether or not he can make some sort of impact. I am hoping he successfully proves his worth as a 7th overall pick wherever he goes(Us or any other organization).

2011 draft in particular wasn't a good draft for us either, drafting players like Biggs over more talented players with top 6 upside wasn't a strong choice either. Same with Percy.
Although, drafting Leivo in the 3rd was a great choice.

2012 is the only draft which seems to favor Burke's choices. Rielly and Finn both look to be solid NHL with ton of upsides. Brown was also a very good in the 6th round.
I guess time will tell but they were good choices back at the draft and nothing has change since then.

I thought Burke was a decent GM overall. He was great at trading( possibly top 5 among any GM in this regard) but his draft record wasn't stellar by any means nor was it very good in his time as the Leafs GM.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:29 PM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

So if Luongo's cap is $1 mil less he's worth Gardiner, but if the Canucks eat that $1 mil/year he isn't worth Gardiner.

... I fully understand...
What I'm saying is, if there was NO cap, there would be a valid argument to have Gardiner going the other way for Luongo.

However, Luongo has a gross, large cap hit that lasts him until he's 40.

Additonally, despite the thinking that Vancouver could go with a Schneider - Luongo tandem this year, and then buy him out, that's a terrible idea. That way you get no return on your asset.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
What? You can use cap space to acquire players via trade...
mediocre players with a high cap hit for the most part.. Leafs don't need those type of players.

Luongo is the only elite player on the market currently, which is why he is front page news on every sports station.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Fearless Leaf*

I think Bozak + Biggs + Blacker/ Finn + 2nd is what I would personally.

Don't want to give up Kadri, huge fan of his but if he is indeed included, I wouldn't upset because Kadri might not fit with our organization when it's all said and done and he deserves better after all the good things he has done for this organization.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:36 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I'm saying relying on an unproven rookie to play a significant role on a contending team is too risky and an player on their last legs is a huge risk as well
Were you saying the same thing last season when we brought Hodgson up? Or is it different now that we can trade Luongo for a third line center?

Old
01-12-2013, 05:38 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
I'd love to hear an explanation on why you think that.
Probably based off the rather baffling stat that Nazem Kadri is the only player, drafted under Burke's watch, to play a game in the NHL for the Leafs

Only two teams (Vancouver and San Jose) had less, with 5 matching that number (Calgary, NY Rangers, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, St. Louis). Of those 7 teams matching or having less draft picks play from that period (2009-2011), Toronto is the only one of those teams to not make the playoffs from 2009-2012. For the perennial contenders (San Jose, Vancouver, Rangers, Pittsburgh), you can make the case that they aren't drafting for immediate help or are dealing away their picks for the Cup run. For the others, you can make the case that they were playoff contenders, so it wasn't worth it to put young players in the lineup with the season on the brink. For Toronto, with no playoff appearances during that time, it's harder to put together an argument that Burke did a good job drafting.

Now, that should change in the coming years with the influx of players (Rielly, Biggs, Ross etc. that SHOULD play in the NHL), but right now, it's hard to make the argument that Burke did a very good job drafting.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
I think Bozak + Biggs + Blacker/ Finn + 2nd is what I would personally.

Don't want to give up Kadri, huge fan of his but if he is indeed included, I wouldn't upset because Kadri might not fit with our organization when it's all said and done and he deserves better after all the good things he has done for this organization.
I don't think that gets you Luongo even if you add Kadri.

Old
Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Were you saying the same thing last season when we brought Hodgson up? Or is it different now that we can trade Luongo for a third line center?
this is a different situation

A shortened season with our second line centre out for a unknown amount of time means that we can't shelter Schroeder like we did Hodgson last year

Old
LickTheEnvelope
5th Overall Blows 2

Quote:
What I'm saying is, if there was NO cap, there would be a valid argument to have Gardiner going the other way for Luongo.

However, Luongo has a gross, large cap hit that lasts him until he's 40.

Additonally, despite the thinking that Vancouver could go with a Schneider - Luongo tandem this year, and then buy him out, that's a terrible idea. That way you get no return on your asset.
When has anyone said Luongo would be bought out?

The rumours from various sites are that if the Canucks wait until the offseason other teams have expressed interest in Luongo when they can clear more cap space...

Old
01-12-2013, 05:42 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
this is a different situation

A shortened season with our second line centre out for a unknown amount of time means that we can't shelter Schroeder like we did Hodgson last year
So instead trade away our elite goalie for a mediocre center who needs to be sheltered? That doesn't make sense to me at all.

Old
01-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
I don't think that gets you Luongo even if you add Kadri.
Then you will be utterly disappointed, bud.

I can gurantee that Canucks will not get their on hands on the following six assets from our system.

Kessel
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
JVR
1st in 2012

Mark my words!!!

Old
01-12-2013, 05:45 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Then you will be utterly disappointed, bud.

I can gurantee that Canucks will not get their on hands on the following six assets from our system.

Kessel
Phaneuf
Rielly
Gardiner
JVR
1st in 2012

Mark my words!!!
We'll take your 2013 1st then.

Closed Thread