HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

News From Around The League - Part XXXVII

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
just subscribed to gamecentre, may the order be restored

Basically 30% off. Betting centre ice is still $100 in Canada

Old
01-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I think Sykora could sign with the Panthers. He could sign with the Rangers or Flyers, and I wouldn't hold it against him cause he gave us two chances to sign him. Once before, and once after the lockout, and we didn't want nothing to do with him. There's a good chance he took a hit too while turning down the other teams to give us a chance to bring him back too. He could be getting a much smaller contract than what he could have gotten had he signed before the lockout.

After being surprised he hasn't been signed yet I thought about him, and the morning skates last year. He could be holding out until camps over! It's vintage Sykora!

Old
01-14-2013, 06:28 PM
billingtons ghost

You are all on drugs.

Gomez left with the worst possible circumstances. Claude was being dicked around with by Lou. The Holik comparison is closer because both players just grabbed for the $$$, and actually played their same game and put up the same point totals.

Gomez didn't have a huge drop off - he had one aberration year with Mogilney and he just stayed at his standard point level. Same thing with Drury - the problem is that you don't pay ridiculous bucks for 60-70point players and they expected Jagr to make him a 110point superstar-assists-machine.

He was a turnover machine when he left here, and that hasn't gotten better.

If you give me circa 2003 Gomez for free - he could help this team - but 2013 Gomez with no confidence, older and lazier... puhhhhhleeeeeeeeeeze.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

How did Lou **** Claude around?! Claude reneged on a signed contract! Gomez leaving wasn't even worse than Holik cause at least Gomez didn't publicly whine and cry about how little respect the Devils gave him his last year here the way Holik did.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
hlaverty06

Oilers fans now claiming with Fistric their D is top 10 in league.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Just let them. Some things in life aren't worth the effort.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post

That's amazing. So they won't be a lottery favorite this year?

Old
01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Nick0930

I really want the Oilers to finish 9th in the West. Their fans are becoming WAY too cocky.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Brodeur

Former 4th overall pick Thomas Hickey is on waivers. Will be interesting to see if he gets claimed (I'll bet $3.50 he doesn't get past Calgary). It's interesting that Boston/LA both misfired with top 10 picks in 2007 but still got their Cups.

If anything, Hickey should be a cautionary tale about drafting for need. It was a poorly kept secret that LA was intent on taking a D with the pick (everybody just assumed it would have been Karl Alzner).

Always felt bad for Hickey. That draft wasn't particularly deep, but Hickey would be forever associated with being picked #4. So people unreasonably expected him to be on par with other #4 picks like Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Pietrangelo. Arguably the Kings had a bigger whiff in 2008 when they took Colten Teubert instead of a plethora of other solid NHL defenders.

Thought Hickey was carving out a decent niche in the AHL. Would have thought the Kings could have gotten at least a mid-round pick for him.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
apice3*

Hickey used to be so overrated on these boards a couple years ago. I think some posters wanted to move Josefson/Tedenby for him.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:12 PM
SixStringAddict

Quote:
If they're in the Top 10, then Philly has the best defense in the league.

Just goes to show you, years of embarrassment on the ice will drive any fanbase crazy.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I'm actually happy about Philly's latest moves. Kurtis Foster, and a nice swiss cheese goalie tandem. Maybe the worst tandem in the league right now pending what Toronto winds up icing.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:23 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Pass it to Bulis ‏@passittobulis
Luongo: "I'm willing to stay here this season because it will be short. But I don't want to stay here long term." via @RenLavoieRDS

Now this is some soap opera-esque drama in the NHL... repetitive story line, never seems to end, yet I keep tuning in.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:02 PM
kiwidevil

Oates has moved Ovechkin to right wing.

Saw an article where he likes right handers on the right.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Good I hope Oates runs them down the drain. One less perennial playoff team to worry about. I can see them falling out, and Carolina getting in. Oates is a **** coach too. I think he's gonna stink as a head coach. Not Maclean/Gretzky level, but he won't be any good either. Our PP was as big of a joke as our PK in the SCF because he refused to make any adjustments.

I'm on Sykora watch now. This Luongo BS probably won't end this season. I'm starting to be convinced of that. Sykora in typical fashion will probably wait until camp is winding down to sign somewhere. Just as he did in sitting out optional morning skates last year!

Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post

Hmmm, sounds familiar.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:18 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post

I read an article that said Ovechkin came to him and asked to be moved.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Toxicity with large portions of the fanbase?

Holik was just as hated when he left.

Moreover, if Gomez were to come back and be semi-productive, people would forget their hostility instantly.
Holik didn't tell the fans he was coming back, and he didn't tell us that he would never sign with the Rangers. He made a business move, and people were unhappy, but realised why he did it.

Gomez told fans he was coming back, said he'd never sign with a Devils rival, and then signed with the Rangers and said he dreamed about wearing the Blueshirt as a kid in Alaska during his introductory presser.

Vomit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Josefson needs to be at center. That's something Lemaire was pretty firm about. Henrique is flexible. They were on a line together in the A for a while, actually.
I agree with that. Yayo definitely belongs at centre. Henrique might be more suited to wing, especially if we want him picking up some of the goalscoring slack. His shot is better than his playmaking, though of course that's not bad either by any means.

Quote:
Incredible. This after they told me that adding Tallinder wouldn't improve their defence because he's a seventh defenceman at best there.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Oates is an awful coach at making adjustments. We were giving up shorthanded goals every 2-3 games for almost a two month span before he got things under control. He was in charge of the PP, so I blame him. We lost I think it was 4 games by one non empty net goal, where we gave up a shorthanded goal. That's 4 regulation games we lost where a shorty was the difference if I recall correctly.

Oates made no adjustments to our PP in the SCF. In a 48 game season there's going to be a need for a lot of adjustments, and Oates is horrible at making them. He will need luck on his side, and Holtby will need to pick up where he left off last playoffs.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Did Gomez say he was coming back or are people still harping on the "See you in Newark" prerecorded message?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I don't think Gomez said he was coming back, but I think he said he would never sign with the Rangers.

Now Holik said a year before that he wasn't coming back. He was mad at what the arbitrator gave him in the ruling, and said he would be testing the market the next Summer, and it would probably be his last in Jersey. I think Lou's original offer wound up being higher than what he ended up getting in arbitration, but I could be wrong on that part.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:25 PM
davebenj

I would love if the Capitals sucked.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
I would love if the Capitals sucked.
You just might get your wish. I was talking to some Caps fans that actually thought he was gonna be fired before he got to coach an NHL game, because of how bad Hershey in the AHL was doing while he was helping out as the ''Co'' head coach up there or whatever he was doing. There's probably a lot of worse coaches out there, but since he coached on the Devils staff most recently I think I notice it more.

There was a damning statistic on the in lou we trust blog about how awful of a PP coach he was. They even came up with several reasons why he was worse as a PP coach than Maclean was.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:57 PM
apice3*

I hold no animosity towards Oates. I just though he was a crap coach. Glad he got the job because now he's off our hands.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I hold no animosity towards Oates. I just though he was a crap coach. Glad he got the job because now he's off our hands.
I'm glad he's off ours too. I wanted him fired back in January, and out of everybody we lost I'm sure we'll come to find out he'll be the smallest loss other than Boulton.

Closed Thread