HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Larry Brooks is spot on

Old
01-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Larry Brooks is spot on

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/islan...HQaNN8LWVoFGHI

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:00 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Ouch! The truth hurts....... Bailey is going to have a break-out season and then going to tell the Isles to piss off because of the way he's been treated here from day one.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Maybe this was posted in the suspension thread but were the Isles the only team to suspend injured returning players?

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Maybe this was posted in the suspension thread but were the Isles the only team to suspend injured returning players?
FL suspended 3 of their players, for getting hurt during the lockout.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...lby-robak.html
As expected, the Panthers suspended forward Sean Bergenheim as he hasn't been medically cleared to play after being injured during the lockout.

NHL teams are allowed to suspend players - without pay -- who were hurt and unable to play while doing so for another team or country during the lockout.

Defenseman Erik Gudbranson -- who hurt his shoulder snowboarding -- and center Marcel Goc (ankle) have also been suspended.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#storylink=cpy

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:18 AM
twentytwo

I'm not saying he's completely off base, as this seems to be one of his fairer articles, but to resorting to calling them "team waiver wire" is a bit unfair. He gives them credit for sending down Strome and Reinhart (while taking a dig at the same time) but ignores the fact that these waiver pick ups keep prospects like Donovan and Niederreiter in the AHL to develop where at this point, they belong.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:21 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Ouch! The truth hurts....... Bailey is going to have a break-out season and then going to tell the Isles to piss off because of the way he's been treated here from day one.
We are more likely to see the isles replace the inconsistent Bailey, with a younger, hungrier and cheaper player then see Bailey breakout and bolt.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytwo View Post
I'm not saying he's completely off base, as this seems to be one of his fairer articles, but to resorting to calling them "team waiver wire" is a bit unfair. He gives them credit for sending down Strome and Reinhart (while taking a dig at the same time) but ignores the fact that these waiver pick ups keep prospects like Donovan and Niederreiter in the AHL to develop where at this point, they belong.
To a degree, I see what you are saying, but I feel like Brooks is saying, at first glance it appears that the Islanders are doing the right thing. Yet, beneath the surface, it appears more that the Islanders are penny pinching.

I mean, I can understand not wanting to burn entry level deals on a short season. However, there is no one that can tell me Aucoin is going to do a better job than Strome. Ryan is not Josh, Ryan has played far more juniors and WJC than Bailey did since being drafted and has played at a very high level. The very least Strome should have been given the five game try out.

As far as Griffin, the kid has yet to really show that niche that made him the fourth overall pick, Not saying the kid is not going to be good (he looked very good during the scrimmage) but when your second round pick gets more attention and is talked about in a brighter light than Reinhart I tend to worry.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 08:58 AM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
To a degree, I see what you are saying, but I feel like Brooks is saying, at first glance it appears that the Islanders are doing the right thing. Yet, beneath the surface, it appears more that the Islanders are penny pinching.

I mean, I can understand not wanting to burn entry level deals on a short season. However, there is no one that can tell me Aucoin is going to do a better job than Strome. Ryan is not Josh, Ryan has played far more juniors and WJC than Bailey did since being drafted and has played at a very high level. The very least Strome should have been given the five game try out.

As far as Griffin, the kid has yet to really show that niche that made him the fourth overall pick, Not saying the kid is not going to be good (he looked very good during the scrimmage) but when your second round pick gets more attention and is talked about in a brighter light than Reinhart I tend to worry.
You're absolutely right about the Aucoin and Strome comparison, no questions or arguments from me in regards to the kind of player we think Strome will be. I have to believe though that while they know his skill level is probably NHL ready; his body (strength wise) isn't. They have A LOT more invested in Ryan which I feel is the reason they took this route.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:31 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

Ryan is not Josh. Josh had an NHL frame and strength whereas Ryan still needs to bulk up. At the very minimum, he should not even have been spoken to by this team.

Reinhart will be fine. He's smart, has time to mature mentally and physically and it doesn't look like we'll abuse the cap with him so he has a very good chance to be someone - a smart defenseman who has to work on his offense.

Thank you NHL for the lockout! We finally get to see our team develop players right!

(and I would love it if we never have a five game tryout given to any player EVER! A kid is ready in camp......he's ready in camp. No questions, just a good hockey player!)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Ryan is not Josh. Josh had an NHL frame and strength whereas Ryan still needs to bulk up. At the very minimum, he should not even have been spoken to by this team.

Reinhart will be fine. He's smart, has time to mature mentally and physically and it doesn't look like we'll abuse the cap with him so he has a very good chance to be someone - a smart defenseman who has to work on his offense.

Thank you NHL for the lockout! We finally get to see our team develop players right!

(and I would love it if we never have a five game tryout given to any player EVER! A kid is ready in camp......he's ready in camp. No questions, just a good hockey player!)
Huberdeau made the Panthers lineup while having a similar stature to Strome. I am not going to argue about keeping Ryan down for the better good of the young man's development. However, like I said, we have to suffer through the Aucoins and Reasoners while someone like Strome, at the very least, should have been given a five game look.

That being said, back to Reinhart, seeing Dumba make the Wild does not make this situation any more comforting. Again, I am not trying to say Reinhart is going to be a bust. However, I would have liked a little bit more positive pres at this point in his development.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:54 AM
InformTheMasses

Think about it, if it were the other way around. What if Dumba made the Canada WJC team and Minnesota sent him down to further develop, and Reinhart was cut from the team and the Islanders kept him on the roster anyway? I think that would lead to even more questioning.

FWIW Dumba didn't even play last night. But as an aside Jared Spurgeon played and played well, led Minnesota in TOI (almost 24 minutes)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 10:56 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the Aucoin and Strome comparison, no questions or arguments from me in regards to the kind of player we think Strome will be. I have to believe though that while they know his skill level is probably NHL ready; his body (strength wise) isn't. They have A LOT more invested in Ryan which I feel is the reason they took this route.
But Aucoin is outscoring Niederreiter in the AHL, of course he's better than Strome is today, it's not even close. Strome plays JUNIOR hockey, he's never played a pro game, why are we so sure he's better than one of the top scorers in the AHL?

I feel confident that Strome will be a pro soon enough. And in a year or two, he'll be a better player than Aucoin is today. But that time is NOT NOW.

Truth is, NEITHER of these two players would help the NYI this year.

While Nino and Strome MIGHT help the Isles next year, or (with some luck) have been able to contribute at the end of this shortened season, but history shows us that's not necessarily true either.

There's nobody in the organization that can help this year, other than the players that are here now. Sad but true.
-----

On Brooks. He's spot on. Top to bottom. He's not saying sending Reinhart and Strome back is the NYI "learning" anything, he's really saying that they can't use the cap space the way they used to - to CHEAT the floor and save a buck. And it's a cheesy move to suspend Bailey and JJ, to save a penny. Other players take notice of this and that's yet another reason to avoid this organization.

Snow's job of managing the brand (and Wang, of course) is completely embarrassing.

If this team eventually improves, it will be in SPITE of Wang and Snow, it'll be on the shoulders of Tavares and the few talented players in the organization that care. That have enough talent to overcome such obstacles that the surrounds the organization.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Original Rob

Quote:
No, what's unfair is expecting fans to pay their hard-earned money to see a team strapped together via waiver-wire castoffs at the last minute, rather than seeking legitimate upgrades through free agency and/or trades.

Original Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Quote:
Thereís just so much nickel-and-diming there. Really, was it necessary for the Islanders to suspend and thereby not pay Josh Bailey (knee) and Jesse Joensuu (groin) for injuries they suffered playing in Europe during the lockout? Isnít it obvious these guys went to Europe in order to be ready for the start of the NHL season and not to rake in some sort of bonanza?
This is just stupid. They're only suspended because they're still hurt. It doesn't make sense not to suspend them, they save roster spaces this way. It's not like the Islanders are forcing them to sit out more games because they're not healthy.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
This is just stupid. They're only suspended because they're still hurt. It doesn't make sense not to suspend them, they save roster spaces this way. It's not like the Islanders are forcing them to sit out more games because they're not healthy.
They could have put them on injured reserve, still would have opened up roster spots

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 02:25 PM
twentytwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
But Aucoin is outscoring Niederreiter in the AHL, of course he's better than Strome is today, it's not even close. Strome plays JUNIOR hockey, he's never played a pro game, why are we so sure he's better than one of the top scorers in the AHL?

I feel confident that Strome will be a pro soon enough. And in a year or two, he'll be a better player than Aucoin is today. But that time is NOT NOW.
Never said that Aucoin was better than Strome was at this point. That's why I said,
"You're absolutely right about the Aucoin and Strome comparison, no questions or arguments from me in regards to the kind of player we think Strome will be."
On second read, I can see how that can be misleading. But you're right pro ranks vs. junior ranks, no basis of comparison.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:27 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2TheRescue View Post
If they are suspended thy don't get paid....that's Wang's rationale.

Again, it's permitted under the cba. Just like using the ELC bond to meet the floor, but it speaks to how the organization is run.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:48 PM
CDirt

This article is why I think Brooks is a terrible writer. Lots of what he builds up as evidence here is pure speculation. Fact of the matter is that the reason why Bailey started here "prematurely" is because the big club was loaded with holes. Bridgport had literally nothing going for it.

The way the argument gets presented with Bailey is that you'd think that Wayne Gretzky's career was destroyed. Bailey has performed pretty much on par for what you'd expect from a 9th overall draft pick. Overall, the argument that they rushed this kid has very little merit to it. Maybe they should then explain, if there's some lesson to be learned here, why Hamonic played two years after his draft year in juniors. He put up phenomonal numbers imediatly after the year he was drafted.

Just exactly when was this "lesson" learned?

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 03:57 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
This is first and foremost a buisness and it is Wang's job to make money. If the Isles were winning we would not see negative articles like this.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Puckzilla13

Quote:
Huberdeau made the Panthers lineup while having a similar stature to Strome. I am not going to argue about keeping Ryan down for the better good of the young man's development. However, like I said, we have to suffer through the Aucoins and Reasoners
Am I missing something here? Aucoin is a solid player, and the first two games he has played well. Dominant on face-offs and showing skill with Ullstrom and McDonald.

Puckzilla13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
If they are suspended thy don't get paid....that's Wang's rationale.

Again, it's permitted under the cba. Just like using the ELC bond to meet the floor, but it speaks to how the organization is run.
So what? Why would any business pay someone when you have the option not to? And the main reason they are suspended is to save roster spots.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Moosie

I'm kind of surprised Larry is bored with the Rangers already and has turned his mighty pen toward the Islanders. Guess if the Rags don't win soon we'll see an article about Rick DiPietro's plight.

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Islanderfan17

This article seems to be a lot of cherrypicking IMO

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 06:41 PM
jdr016

Brooks is a joke. He may be right in this particular article. But, I'm not reading it. No idea why anyone would read the New York Post. The quintessence of the dumbing down of America.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Bert Marshall days

"but a word to the wise — make certain to have reference material handy in order to identify the athletes representing the Brooklyn-bound franchise."

There ya go!

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote