HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke "floored" by dismissal as Toronto GM

Old
01-11-2013, 12:54 PM
Dio666

vCash: 500
Brian Burke "floored" by dismissal as Toronto GM

Quote:
In an exclusive interview with Damien Cox of the Toronto Star, Brian Burke said he was "floored" after he was told he was fired as general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"I was floored, and I still am stunned. I've never been fired before," he said about Wednesday's announcement. "How am I doing? I'm doing OK.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=649831&print=true

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:00 PM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Burke is under contract to the Leafs for the rest of this season and next, and he fully intends to help his former assistant, Dave Nonis, as a consultant, a job he says he suggested to chairman Larry Tanenbaum and Anselmi when they relieved him of his GM duties.

"I think I can help," he said. "I've been at this for a while. I have my name on the Stanley Cup. I'll do whatever I can. I wish Dave [Nonis] and the Toronto Maple Leafs all the success in the world," he said. "I'll do my best to help them win."
Good for him.

I was expected a war of words to come out of this but Burke took the high road. He's taking it a lot better than I thought he would.

Good stuff.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
who doesn't like a little b-ball? ill tell you who.
men with over developed breasts.

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoburrito View Post
who doesn't like a little b-ball? ill tell you who.
men with over developed breasts.
Lol. You listen to way too much sports radio.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Exit interview (or PC was it? I forgot) at noon tomorrow.

Reported by TSN1050

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:06 PM
tacoburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
Lol. You listen to way too much sports radio.
well when you refuse to pay for cable you dont have much of a choice around here =D

Old
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Good for him.

I was expected a war of words to come out of this but Burke took the high road. He's taking it a lot better than I thought he would.

Good stuff.
Have to see the bigger picture, and $6 million is a pretty big picture.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Aplayaz2000

very classy

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
tacoburrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
yea hes not gonna give that up to go work at sportsnet to spill the beans

Old
01-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Bleed Blue and White

Good for Burkie. I have nothing but respect for him. I really hope that he gets another job wherever he wants one someday. I'm disappointed that his tenure here didn't work out the way we (and no doubt he) wanted it to, but he's still a fantastic hockey mind and he deserves to be recognized as such. The way this went down, it wasn't right. I think MLSE is the only organization in pro sports that would have handled this situation in the manner that they did.

Bleed Blue and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Classy guy. Getting fired sucks. I didn't like how he never committed to either a full retool or a full rebuild, so hopefully Nonis is a little more decisive than him. I hope his "senior advisor" position or whatever isn't just fluff -- at the end of the day, he's one of the better trading GMs in the game today. I was never worried when I heard we made a trade with Burke at the helm.

Glad to see he's taking it in stride, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Old Man Burke. Hope he stays in Toronto and continues his charity/You Can Play work.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Exactly!

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoburrito View Post
yea hes not gonna give that up to go work at sportsnet to spill the beans
What beans? If he really had something against MLSE he wouldn't have stayed as a consultant. I think people make up some fictional animosity that might exist between him and MLSE.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Rude Dog

It's too bad he never got the chance to finish what he started. Many may disagree, but I still believe given the chance he would have silenced the haters.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Bleed Blue and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
It's too bad he never got the chance to finish what he started. Many may disagree, but I still believe given the chance he would have silenced the haters.
I agree with you. I firmly believe, and time will tell if this is right, that when we are good again Burke's fingerprints will be all over the team. Just like in Vancouver.

Bleed Blue and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
K19

It's weird how they're keeping him around. He and Nonis will still be in touch. It seems like nothing has changed.

K19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Good for him.

Good stuff.
Pull the wool from over your eyes and wake up.

It doesn't benefit Burke at all to bad mouth the organization, but you can be sure that the stubborn, proud man is pissed and probably full of negative things he wants to say about the organization.

Also - the role he's taken within the organization (senior advisor), is a phantom role designed to ensure Burke gets paid while the organization doesn't have to pay severance. He's not going to do a damn thing for the team, and they know that.

Tak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Stevie28

Burke sticks around, drama ensues, he takes GM back, and wins cup with leafs. wouldnt that be a story?

Stevie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Clark4Ever

The cold hearted mentality of this type of corporate environment might haunt this organization down the road.

Two of the most successful and respected executives in the NHL in Pat Quinn and Brian Burke discarded like yesterday's trash under very questionable circumstances by MLSE in the last several years.

I'm sure other GMs have taken notice.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
It's weird how they're keeping him around. He and Nonis will still be in touch. It seems like nothing has changed.
Ayup. Which makes it seem like whatever reason they had to fire Burke was either a personal one, or one otherwise unrelated to hockey. Which does not instill much confidence in me moving forward under this ownership group.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
The cold hearted mentality of this type of corporate environment might haunt this organization down the road.

Two of the most successful and respected executives in the NHL in Pat Quinn and Brian Burke discarded like yesterday's trash under very questionable circumstances by MLSE in the last several years.

I'm sure other GMs have taken notice.
There's 30 NHL jobs in the world as NHL GM.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Leafs in 7

I m Floored he traded 2 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick for Phil Kessel instead of 2009 7th overall and Thomas Kaberle or at all

Leafs in 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K19 View Post
That was Burke's suggestion but at the PC, they made it pretty clear that he will be reporting to the BOG as a consultant and not the hockey operations side of things..

If MLSE wanted Burke influencing Nonis as GM they would have left him as Leafs President. I suppose they can't prevent Nonis from speaking to him, or even asking advice on a trade potential "if he would do it" but this will not be a daily occurrence either.

Burke is simply still around because he is still being paid by MLSE, but he will be collecting most of those cheques while sitting around at home, not coming into the office for work.

01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
That was Burke's suggestion but at the PC, they made it pretty clear that he will be reporting to the BOG as a consultant and not the hockey operations side of things..

If MLSE wanted Burke influencing Nonis as GM they would have left him as Leafs President. I suppose they can't prevent Nonis from speaking to him, or even asking advice on a trade potential "if he would do it" but this will not be a daily occurrence either.

Burke is simply still around because he is still being paid by MLSE, but he will be collecting most of those cheques while sitting around at home, not coming into the office for work.
Absolutely, if Burke gets an offer from someone else they'll let him go. They aren't going to pay him and watch him go somewhere else though.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
thom

Poor Brian and his 15 million dollars.The same Brian who with the former Premier of Bc cambell threatened the tax payer by saying if the canucks were not given a tax brake they could move?

thom is offline   Reply With Quote