HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What's happening with Kings Insider?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

vCash: 500
What's happening with Kings Insider?

Hockey is back and that blog is lacking in content. Missing player interviews, recap of the press conference etc.

When will they find Rich Hammonds replacement? Or will Insider go by way of Inside the Kings, which turned into a ghost town.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:04 PM
The Big Giant Head

vCash: 50
i was going to make a post on the same thing...I used to visit insider daily but the new content that they've been posting has been blah. I miss rich.

Hopefully, once the season gets going they'll get back to posting stuff we want to read about. I always like the tid bits of info rich would provide and the interviews with players.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:06 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Their have been some clamoring for "the Mayor" to get the position, not sure if he's even interested.

But I would support it.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I would definitely support The Mayor!

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Their have been some clamoring for "the Mayor" to get the position, not sure if he's even interested.

But I would support it.
i'd be ok with that as well...how could he NOT be interested??

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Whiskeypete

i would rather John doesn't become the Insider. i don't want him to become muzzled by the team or the league. i enjoy his articles now as they are and don't think he needs the change of a web page header to give him credibility. he is the Mayor and needs no Insider tag imo

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Fishhead

I have no prior experience or credentials in journalism, and I ditched English class regularly, but if they want someone to hang around the team, get quotes, and write them up, I'll do it

I'm guessing the next "insider" or whatever they call the next version will be someone working his way into the business. It's not a job for a opinionated, seasoned journalist if the past is any indication. Hopefully it's a go-getter like Heidi was. I am really thankful for all of Hammond's hard work, but his true love lies elsewhere. Some passion would be an improvement, IMO.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
losingsand

the insider is a sad place, a blog site having a reputation of not updating just means a lot of folk will tune out and not come back. I guess the kings have bigger fish to fry at this point, but i really hope this picks back up. You can't just take it away after having it such an important source for the latest kings news.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post

But I would support it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I would definitely support The Mayor!
John has interviewed with the Kings about the position, now they did the interviews back when Hammond first left, around October. No one really got a good number of how many people were interviewed, and I've heard the number was as high as 12. No decision has been made that I am aware of as of today but I heard it could be coming soon.

The differences from working on his own site to being employed by the Kings is that he is will be getting a paycheck from the Kings, plus you know getting to travel around.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
SuperAlmeida

There is only one candidate for this job... Hockeybuzzbarry/Bigmouthbarry. HAHAHAHA!!!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
There is only one candidate for this job... Hockeybuzzbarry/Bigmouthbarry. HAHAHAHA!!!
Lol, I don't think the Kings would invite Matt back into the press box. Doughty isn't a big fan you know.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
topliner967

It would be nice to see it get going again. As Belanger25 pointed out, traveling with the team and having full access has its advantages. That being said, I think both Mayor's Manor and Frozen Royalty are doing a good job.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
i would rather John doesn't become the Insider. i don't want him to become muzzled by the team or the league. i enjoy his articles now as they are and don't think he needs the change of a web page header to give him credibility. he is the Mayor and needs no Insider tag imo
This

The insider passes info along and is a mouthpiece.
I would hate to see the Mayor silenced he has great insight and opinions

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It seems that the players are more open and candid with The Mayor, and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with him not being affiliated with the team. As others have said, I would also be concerned that the organization might curb some of the content on his site.

As you guys may recall, Hammond used to frequently cover Kings' trade rumors. Once he let it be known that the Kings were trading for Justin Williams (which Lombardi says cost the Kings a 2nd round pick because Edmonton threw a hissy fit in the three-team deal), it seemed like Hammond stopped being the first to report any rumors.

Since then, it seems that our main source for finding out about any Kings transactions prior to their announcement has been Helene Elliot. Some bloggers have also scooped certain items (like the Mitchell extension), but it seemed to me that over the past couple seasons, Hammond would report on trades after we had already read the story from other sources. That to me isn't much of an "insider."

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Wasn't there a Hammond sighting at the press conference yesterday? What if his USC/Register gig was only to pay the bills during the lockout? Maybe I'm just wishing that were true..

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Wasn't there a Hammond sighting at the press conference yesterday? What if his USC/Register gig was only to pay the bills during the lockout? Maybe I'm just wishing that were true..
He has an article about the pc in the OC register today

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
I'd be quite OK with a fact-driven Kings Insider. I don't care too much for rumors and speculation, I want a site that provides the facts as they go down. The trades. The Roster Moves. The injuries. The expected lines based on scrimmages. Some quick interviews.

All the rumors, speculation and "almost news" I can find elsewhere if I want to. I want a go-to site that reports facts. Like Hammond provided.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topliner967 View Post
It would be nice to see it get going again. As Belanger25 pointed out, traveling with the team and having full access has its advantages. That being said, I think both Mayor's Manor and Frozen Royalty are doing a good job.
They will hire someone. They didn't hire someone during the lockout because there was simply no news to report.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
DeeMeck

I know it wouldn't happen...but Helene Elliott would be the best bet. She actually asks very good, tough questions that others don't/won't ask. As the Insider though, she may have to lose some of her bite.

I hope the Mayor stays where he is. His features with players are second-to-none. Players like him because he BS's with them. I am the type of guy who likes to hear the players when they talk to him. He has a way of getting their guard down and you really get to see the players real personalities. I think he would lose that ability to loosen up players as the Insider.

I am undecided on Gann. He is a wild card in my head for some reason. I find that my feelings on his writing change every couple months which is odd. If his goal is to keep me guessing, he has accomplished that.

DeeMeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
I know it wouldn't happen...but Helene Elliott would be the best bet. She actually asks very good, tough questions that others don't/won't ask. As the Insider though, she may have to lose some of her bite.
I don't know if Helene considered it. She has too cushy of a job with the LA Times, plus I imagine she is getting a hell of a lot more to write at the Times then she would being the Kings Insider.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
I'd be quite OK with a fact-driven Kings Insider. I don't care too much for rumors and speculation, I want a site that provides the facts as they go down. The trades. The Roster Moves. The injuries. The expected lines based on scrimmages. Some quick interviews.

All the rumors, speculation and "almost news" I can find elsewhere if I want to. I want a go-to site that reports facts. Like Hammond provided.
Glad you brought up injuries. That was another thing Hammond was a bit behind on reporting. Lisa Dillman or Helene would usually be the first ones to report those too.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Glad you brought up injuries. That was another thing Hammond was a bit behind on reporting. Lisa Dillman or Helene would usually be the first ones to report those too.
They were even 2-3 days behind Matt Barry lol.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
DeeMeck

Hammond didn't comment on anything that wasn't officially confirmed by the team in regards to injuries or trades, although other outlets we have access to are correct about it 99% of the time.

DeeMeck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:55 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Lol, I don't think the Kings would invite Matt back into the press box. Doughty isn't a big fan you know.
I missed this one....do tell.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I missed this one....do tell.
I'm thinking its got something to do with Drew's weight issue...