HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2013, 09:44 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If you had to choose between Chicago or Arizona, which way do you go? McCoy is certainly not out as Bears coach.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
If you had to choose between Chicago or Arizona, which way do you go? McCoy is certainly not out as Bears coach.
Might not matter if they're offering more money.

Also, our future outlook right now sucks. Peppers, Briggs, Tillman as your core for D, and no safeties. The guys you do have and rely on are old as ****. I like the defensive line, especially if we hang onto Okoye and he gets healthy.... but aside from that, the defense is a wreck. Still have no offensive line, no TE, and 1 proven WR. Not really a team that is going to get a coach because of their possible future. This thing can get real ugly, real fast.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
Might not matter if they're offering more money.

Also, our future outlook right now sucks. Peppers, Briggs, Tillman as your core for D, and no safeties. The guys you do have and rely on are old as ****. I like the defensive line, especially if we hang onto Okoye and he gets healthy.... but aside from that, the defense is a wreck. Still have no offensive line, no TE, and 1 proven WR. Not really a team that is going to get a coach because of their possible future. This thing can get real ugly, real fast.
No safeties? Wright and Conte were good this year (and both under 26). The Bears have 4 defensive linemen under 26 (Paea, Melton, Wooten, McClellin). Add in Tim Jennings and the majority of your defense is under the age of 30.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:24 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
No safeties? Wright and Conte were good this year (and both under 26). The Bears have 4 defensive linemen under 26 (Paea, Melton, Wooten, McClellin). Add in Tim Jennings and the majority of your defense is under the age of 30.

I don't really feel as highly about our safeties as many others do, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really seem them ever being anything better than average. Just seems they look for the big hit. Would rather see more coverage skills out of them.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
I don't really feel as highly about our safeties as many others do, so maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really seem them ever being anything better than average. Just seems they look for the big hit. Would rather see more coverage skills out of them.
Major Wright had 4 picks this year, Conte had 2. Its not like Chris Harris is back there running around.

Old
01-14-2013, 10:45 AM
RayP

Quote:
Major Wright had 4 picks this year, Conte had 2. Its not like Chris Harris is back there running around.
Pics do not equal good coverage, though. Corey Graham had 2 pics this past Saturday, doesn't mean he is all of the sudden great in coverage.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Pics do not equal good coverage, though. Corey Graham had 2 pics this past Saturday, doesn't mean he is all of the sudden great in coverage.
The Bears gave up 17 points a game, its not like they were getting destroyed through the air.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:06 AM
RayP

Quote:
The Bears gave up 17 points a game, its not like they were getting destroyed through the air.
And to me that is a compliment on Tillman and Jennings, not our safeties. They're passable safeties with good/great corners... but with Tillman being 31 and Jennings being 29, how much longer they have in the NFL?

Old
01-14-2013, 11:07 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Defense doesn't really matter in this league. You have to just out score your opponent. Our defense is as good as they need to be.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Agreed, I thought Conte and Wright played pretty well most of the season. Both had a few glaring mistakes, but not many. I've got no issues with them back there another year. Don't forget we also have Hardin (if he can actually stay healthy and get on the field). He will be an interesting candidate at some point given his size and CB cover ability. He's in the mold of that huge Seattle secondary. So I do think we are OK at Safety for a bit, and Jennings was a nice surprise this year. Tillman is getting old, but he may have played his best season. IMO you don't need to worry about him next year either.

Defensive Line may be OK depending on who we resign, and if Peppers can get healthy (played all season with a foot problem) he may have another good year or two left.

I think the focus has to be (in no particular order)

LB
OL
TE
Slot / Speed WR (Knox isn't coming back IMO and Hester isn't the answer)

Old
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

My priority is:

OL
TE
WR (speed)
LB

Old
01-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
And to me that is a compliment on Tillman and Jennings, not our safeties. They're passable safeties with good/great corners... but with Tillman being 31 and Jennings being 29, how much longer they have in the NFL?
We play the cover 2, its not like Jennings and Tillman are out there on an island. I think Tillman probably has 3 years and Jennings probably 4.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
My priority is:

OL
TE
WR (speed)
LB
You can find a speed guy later in the draft. Agree OL and TE are 1 and 2. After that linebacker is probably my next biggest concern.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:15 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
You can find a speed guy later in the draft. Agree OL and TE are 1 and 2. After that linebacker is probably my next biggest concern.
I'm not saying those are equivalent to the rounds they need to be drafted in, just that my order of importance for those needs to be filled.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:17 AM
RayP

Quote:
We play the cover 2, its not like Jennings and Tillman are out there on an island. I think Tillman probably has 3 years and Jennings probably 4.
And they very well could have that many years. Champ Bailey had a great year up until this past weekend, and he's 34 already.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Illinihockey

I don't know why people are acting like football players careers end at 30-31. Lots of players play into their mid 30's and stay effective. If Tillman and Briggs were 34...then its time to start worrying.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Cards want McCoy for a 2nd interview tomorrow

Old
01-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Recoil

Quote:
I don't know why people are acting like football players careers end at 30-31. Lots of players play into their mid 30's and stay effective. If Tillman and Briggs were 34...then its time to start worrying.
I think it's because studies show that Running Backs' production drop off dramatically when they hit 30, and I think people heard that over and over, and just started associating it with most other positions. Agree though, no reason to think some of these guys don't have a few more years left.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Conte doesn't impress me but I thought Major Wright actually showed signs of improvement

I can live with Wright as one of our starting safeties

Old
01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
BRayne

Marc trestman and Darrell Bevell finalist for Head Coach. Trestman heavy favorite apparently.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:29 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I can't believe that's the 2 it came down to, if that really is the case.

Old
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
RayP

Brendon Ayanbadejo

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...medium=twitter

Old
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Illinihockey

@ProFootballTalk: Report: Bears job down to two candidates, Bevell and Trestman http://t.co/q0iO1ON3

With link

Old
01-14-2013, 07:46 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
Quote:
@ProFootballTalk: Report: Bears job down to two candidates, Bevell and Trestman http://t.co/q0iO1ON3

With link
I don't have a problem with this at all. From what I've read, I'd be satisfied with either candidate.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:29 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I don't have a problem with this at all. From what I've read, I'd be satisfied with either candidate.
I read an interesting article on Tressman from a Montreal fan. It gave some warning signs to some Bears fans (thinking he has the ego and unflexibility as Martz) but I'm not sure I agree with that extreme. The interactions with coaching staff and some assistant coaching decisions near the end were a bit concerning, but again, without REALLY knowing what's going on I'm not sure we should worry about that. Seems to me he DID adapt well to the CFL and was rather innovative. Personally, I'm OK with the hire and want to see what he can do, but here's the link for you guys to read. Let me know what you think after reading it:

Marc Trestman Buyer Beware: A view from a Montreal Alouettes season-ticket holder

For the record, I'd be OK with Bevell too. Both intrigue me, and I'm anxious to get on with the Offensive Coordinator search.

Closed Thread