HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Political Stuff That Just Ain't Thread Worthy ‎- Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Blah Blah
I dare you to post something of substance and have a real debate on global warming or even science in general.

We all know you're too cowardly to ever actually debate on a topic so openly available and easily explained, but I feel the need to display just how cowardly you are by calling you out and watching you run away screaming.

ETA: And that debate has to consist of more than "there's no debate to be had" because there's even more evidence that's openly available that shows that there absolutely is a debate to be had than there is to defend global warming science in general.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav View Post
Few words can describe how wonderful this is

Old
02-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ger-87773.html

Quote:
The president decided to stiff the press during one of his golf outings, which is not unusual. But this weekend was different. Without announcing it in advance, President Barack Obama played 18 holes with Tiger Woods at an exclusive resort in Florida. But Obama’s traveling press pool was kept in the dark and far away.

In his first term, when Obama played separate rounds of golf with Bill Clinton and House Speaker John Boehner, the press pool had been allowed some access and pictures.

The story also stated: “It seems Obama and Woods — the first black men at the top of their respective fields — have spent the past few years inching toward Sunday’s meeting on the fairway.”

In other words, it was a historic meeting for reasons of race and therefore, by implication, the press pool should have been allowed to record the moment.

“But this has nothing to do really with golf,” Ed Henry told me. “That’s trivial. We’re taking a stand: We’re relevant. We represent not just our news organizations, but we represent history and the American people. That might sound hokey, but that’s why we’re here.”
This is so freaking stupid. Tiger Woods is a private citizen; there's no comparison between photographing Obama playing with Bill Clinton and John Boehner (two of the most important politicians in the country) and him playing a round of golf with Woods. To make it sound like it's some historic moment for race relations is laughable. This is the media wanting to cover it as a tabloid-like special interest story and not getting the chance to do that.

Old
02-19-2013, 09:47 AM
RoryDelap
Sketch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

Old
02-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Few words can describe how wonderful this is
It's eerily similar to people that tell me the same thing about Jesus being my savior.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
It's eerily similar to people that tell me the same thing about Jesus being my savior.

Reality is my Jesus, and the bonus is it is actually demonstratively real.

There's nothing wrong about the belief in something, even in the way that Christians believe in Jesus. The problem is when what is believed in cannot be proven and actually has more evidence against it being true than for it.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

I am not exactly sure what to think of this one...a little unnerving to say the least.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/te...t-us.html?_r=0

Old
02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
The problem is when what is believed in cannot be proven and actually has more evidence against it being true than for it.
Actually no, the problem is when people try to force their view upon others.

There are certain limitations to that though. It's wrong to try and force another person to behave a certain way, as that is an intrusion into his private life. It doesn't matter whether it's someone who believes in a god trying to change someone who doesn't or the other way round, it's always wrong. No one can prove this matter either way, so not only is it redundant and a waste of time, it's also pretty childish behaviour. Things are a bit different when it comes to what is publicly taught to people, in that case it depends on the matter at hand. When personal opinion contradicts actual facts, you shouldn't let anyone get away with it.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
Actually no, the problem is when people try to force their view upon others.

There are certain limitations to that though. It's wrong to try and force another person to behave a certain way, as that is an intrusion into his private life. It doesn't matter whether it's someone who believes in a god trying to change someone who doesn't or the other way round, it's always wrong. No one can prove this matter either way, so not only is it redundant and a waste of time, it's also pretty childish behaviour. Things are a bit different when it comes to what is publicly taught to people, in that case it depends on the matter at hand. When personal opinion contradicts actual facts, you shouldn't let anyone get away with it.
You say tomato, I say tomahto. It's the same difference. I don't care what someone believes, at least for the most part, as long as they don't let it control their civic behavior.

I don't even have a problem with people forcing their views on others. In reality, if a person is stupid enough to accept a viewpoint because someone is shouting at you or whatever, then it's that person's fault. That said, obviously common decency needs to be observed in that, if someone tells you to leave them alone and go away, you do so. But when someone offers up their own personal opinions and they contradict actual facts, then they should be corrected. The personal opinion that a God exists generally contradicts actual facts, at least when that God is specified with particular traits and attributes (creating the world/universe, answering prayers, etc). I don't think the fact that it's "personal belief" necessarily means they shouldn't be challenged on it.

And anyway, you seem to be stating a lot as absolutes here. It's not wrong to tell someone not to rape people, even though that's telling someone how to live their life. Of course, there's reasons for that, but, at least for the sake of argument, one could say that similar reasons could be offered up for why we should tell people not to believe in religions/God/gods.

That said, few would ever walk up to a religious person who has given no inclination that they're religious and tell them they're wrong. Personally, I wouldn't even tell someone who is clearly religious that they're wrong just because they're religious. It's much more common for religious people to walk up to random people and tell them to believe in their religion.

In the end, though, my point was that belief in the unproven/disproven can be dangerous as they can mislead your actions and cause you to do harm without the realization that you're doing harm (or even let others do harm to you). That's my issue with unsubstantiated beliefs, not that they're believed in the first place.

Last edited by Leafsdude7: 02-20-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

Old
02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
I am not exactly sure what to think of this one...a little unnerving to say the least.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/te...t-us.html?_r=0
Interesting. China has been accused of hacking in the past (examples are the NY Times site and Canadian industries)

Although they'll continue to deny it, it's very clear they are becoming an online threat

Old
02-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Listening to a delayed Tony Kornheiser podcast and they are talking about Mark Sanford running again for congressional office

It's always hilarious how these people get a second chance. Weiner was considering running for office again, now this guy. When is Spitzer going to come back

Old
02-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://news.yahoo.com/chinas-top-dig...151656355.html

Quote:
How's this for sweet social-media revenge in our brewing digital war with China? If it weren't for the strictness of the Chinese government's Internet firewall, security firm Mandiant may never have discovered the identities of the Chinese army's instantly notorious "Comment Crew." Within the watershed report from The New York Times today is this little nugget on how the hacker sleuths at Mandiant connected codenames toward a Chinese People's Liberation Army building in Shanghai:

Mandiant discovered several cases in which attackers logged into their Facebook and Twitter accounts to get around China’s firewall that blocks ordinary citizen’s access, making it easier to track down their real identities.

Old
02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...ger-87773.html

This is so freaking stupid. Tiger Woods is a private citizen; there's no comparison between photographing Obama playing with Bill Clinton and John Boehner (two of the most important politicians in the country) and him playing a round of golf with Woods. To make it sound like it's some historic moment for race relations is laughable. This is the media wanting to cover it as a tabloid-like special interest story and not getting the chance to do that.
More like Obama doesn't want to be seen with hanging out with any of the one percent while promoting his war on the rich in the process.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:26 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
More like Obama doesn't want to be seen with hanging out with any of the one percent while promoting his war on the rich in the process.
What?

Old
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
CBJFreak

Send a message via ICQ to CBJFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
What?

Old
02-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
I see you chickened out from my challenge.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
To be fair you did use multi-syllable words in your challenge post so AP would have had problems grasping your meaning.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
You're right! Global Warming exists from someone(you) who throws down mostly baseless rhetoric and spam in his arguments. I'm now conformed and now know the secret to ending global waring for good. More regulations! Less jobs! Higher gas prices! More fuel efficient/enviornmental friendly cars that have better gas mileage on paper but not true in practice! Hell, lets save the live of a cow because their not a contributor to air polution. Oh and I must buy carbon credits in case I release too much Co2 in the air.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 02-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old
02-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
You're right! Global Warming exists from someone(you) who throws down mostly baseless rhetoric and spam in his arguments.
Where have I given "baseless rhetoric"?

I have scientific papers, basic chemical laws and a near total consensus in all scientific disciplines of relevance. If that's "baseless" to you, then what the **** would be relevant?

I'm absolutely willing to have a legitimate, reasonable discussion on the topic of Global Warming. I'm giving you a chance to prove you're not just a troll. If all you got is strawman sarcasm which have nothing to do with the accuracy of the theory, then you're the textbook definition of a troll.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Old
02-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
The right's civil war continues, now they're calling each other nazi's

Tea Party Group Apologizes To Karl Rove

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.co...karl-rove-full

Quote:
Tea Party Patriots said that a fundraising email sent out Tuesday showing a manipulated photo of GOP operative Karl Rove wearing an S.S. uniform was a mistake that the organization "did not know about or approve."

Old
02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Yoshimitsu

I hate when I accidentally photoshop someone to look like a Nazi and then mail it to everyone.

Old
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
I hate when I accidentally photoshop someone to look like a Nazi and then mail it to everyone.
Surprising they didn't claim they were 'hacked,' given how en vogue that has become.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Surprising they didn't claim they were 'hacked,' given how en vogue that has become.
I think it was an example of divine intervention.

An immaculate photoshop.

Closed Thread