Third Line LW, who to go after?

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Third Line LW, who to go after?

I've comprised a list of LWs as well as those players who can play general for third line forward. Seeing what people would like to take a run at before the Trade Deadline. Listing only UFAs and possibly pieces that could move...

Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
Ryder, Michael
Boyes, Brad
Wolski, Wojtek
Fehr, Eric
Hendricks, Matt
Miller, Drew
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Prospal, Vinny
Hejduk, Milan
Higgins, Chris
Cullen, Matt

Old
02-22-2013, 05:03 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I think they ride it out with Bourque and hope he finds the scoring touch because he has a very affordable cap hit next year. I'd rather they go after another defenseman as I am not impressed with Andrew Ference this year. Hamilton has been good, but another defenseman who can skate with the puck would put them over the top in my opinion.

Also, they have the option of dealing for someone with years left on a contract and exercising an amnesty buyout after the season, but this would result in Jacobs paying a guy 2-3 years salary for what amounts to a few months or less of service. We're not sure that ownership would afford Chiarelli that luxury.

02-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Quaider*

Clowe is the only player of interest on the list. The rest are basically a bunch of wash-ups.

Clowe, on the other hand, would be a perfect fit and a guy we could sign to a long-term deal.

Who would we give up for him? They won't be interested in our overpaid vets like Kelly, Pev or Boychuk. Do we have any real prospects to offer?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:55 AM
Trap Jesus

Morrow or Clowe would be perfect fits, but I don't know why either the Stars or Sharks would part with them.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Morrow or Clowe would be perfect fits, but I don't know why either the Stars or Sharks would part with them.
We almost got Morrow last year but Dallas went on that crazy run. OOG can elaborate if he wants to.

I am Boston Strong

Old
02-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Over the volcano

Bourque has been the best player on that line for a week now. It will be interesting to see where things are when the deadline approaches.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:31 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Paille. End of thread. Its criminal keeping him on the fourth line.

I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade. Should have dumped TT in the offseason and let Kelly walked and got Semin.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:47 AM
hubby1746

Cal Clutterbuck would be perfect, depending on his cap situation. Also Ryan Smith and Alfy

Old
02-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby1746 View Post
Cal Clutterbuck would be perfect, depending on his cap situation. Also Ryan Smith and Alfy
After last night, Buck is off the table

Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Paille. I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade.
This is not a bad scenario. Pick up a replacement 4th liner rather than try to find a decent 3rd liner. Does he play the left side?

Old
02-22-2013, 07:05 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Paille. End of thread. Its criminal keeping him on the fourth line.

I don't see us getting anyone that good in a trade. Should have dumped TT in the offseason and let Kelly walked and got Semin.
Criminal? Paille, while being a good player for us, have stone hands. He's working hard and use his speed well but if we're about to upgrade the 3rd line, i assume it's because we need more " scoring ". In that regard, Paille doesn't fit the bill.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Schalkenullvier*

I'd rather have someone who can score more than Clutterbuck.

Alfie or Ryder would be perfect

Old
02-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Did people watch the 2011 SCF run? Do you not remember the 3rd line bailing the team out and having a 20 goal scorer on it?

But yea, they will be just fine without one.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

It doesn't have to be LW seeing how Pevs is comfortably playing either side

Clowe would be nice, gives the 3rd line more grit and size

Old
02-22-2013, 07:29 AM
TCL40

I like Clutterbuck-but seems like he would be more of a 4th liner to free up Pie for the 3rd.

I would rather them keep Pie on the 4th and find somebody big with a scorer's touch.

Bourque may be playing better but he isn't what that line needs and neither Kelly or Peverly are going anywhere right now.

I don't know who is available, but I would like to see Chia try to make a move sooner rather than later.

This team isn't going to get anywhere near the cup with the 3rd line invisible and not scoring and shifting Pie to the 3rd and calling up MacDermid is only a stop gap, it isn't going to create a cup team either.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Did people watch the 2011 SCF run? Do you not remember the 3rd line bailing the team out and having a 20 goal scorer on it?

But yea, they will be just fine without one.
No one on the third line scored 20 goals that season.
Ryder had 18
Kelly had 14 (2 in 24 games as a bruin)
Peverly had 18 (4 in 23 games a Bruin)

Old
02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Criminal? Paille, while being a good player for us, have stone hands. He's working hard and use his speed well but if we're about to upgrade the 3rd line, i assume it's because we need more " scoring ". In that regard, Paille doesn't fit the bill.
Sure. BUt a defensively sound shutdown 3rd liner with good hands is going to actually be a 1st liner making 5 mil or more who we can't trade for.

Its harder to make a trade as well with most NHL teams in contention.

Paille has stone hands everyone knows that but he is playing well, gets chances, and between him and Kelly 2 guys with bad hands I think there can be respectable offensive totals inspite of the inevitable muffs they'll have offensively.

You put Paille there and you have an elite defensive 3rd line. Right now its just awkward with Bourque he is too small. He is fine as a stop gap measure but he's a liability as a regular in our top 9. I am sick of Chris Bourque even when he plays OK it doesn't amount to much and the sacrifice we make in terms of size and strength with him is not worth it. No problems with him as 13th forward but thats it.

Jordan Caron won't bail us out when he returns from injury. With Kelly sucking so much I can't understand not putting a speedy gritty Vet next to him to help him out.

I also have no problems demoting Kelly to the 4th and having Campbell and Paille play with Peverley if Chris keeps struggling.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I like Clutterbuck-but seems like he would be more of a 4th liner to free up Pie for the 3rd.

I would rather them keep Pie on the 4th and find somebody big with a scorer's touch.

Bourque may be playing better but he isn't what that line needs and neither Kelly or Peverly are going anywhere right now.

I don't know who is available, but I would like to see Chia try to make a move sooner rather than later.

This team isn't going to get anywhere near the cup with the 3rd line invisible and not scoring and shifting Pie to the 3rd and calling up MacDermid is only a stop gap, it isn't going to create a cup team either.
Considering the length of this season and the clustered games I doubt a smart GM makes a big move. I don't think a smart GM is going to judge his team too much for the future, not during the season anyways.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Fire Sweeney

Clowe
Ryder
Penner
Filppula

Absolutely no interest in any of the other guys.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:48 AM
PlayMakers

I'm starting to think the B's would be better off making two acquisitions.

A guy with size and some goal scoring skill for the 3rd line (but not a top line type like Alfie/Iggy) AND a LH'd defenseman who could be a PP presence.

A Clowe/Streit combo. (Or players who fit that mold.)

02-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

I know, ex-Hab, current Canuck, but I think I'd like to see Chris Higgins on our left wing.

Flame away!

Old
02-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I'm starting to think the B's would be better off making two acquisitions.

A guy with size and some goal scoring skill for the 3rd line (but not a top line type like Alfie/Iggy) AND a LH'd defenseman who could be a PP presence.

A Clowe/Streit combo. (Or players who fit that mold.)
Streit would be a damm good addition, IMO.

I do suspect he'll be a bit expensive if the Isle continue to suck eggs. Could be a bit of a bidding war for him.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:08 AM
PlayMakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Bourque has been the best player on that line for a week now. It will be interesting to see where things are when the deadline approaches.
I agree.

I do think the team needs size, and we talk about adding someone to that line who can score 20+ but we presume that it would be to play with Kelly and Peverley. With the way Bourque has been playing I'd actually like to see how that line would work with Bourque and the new guy.

If Bourque could (eventually) replace Peverley as the waterbug/offensive catalyst on that line he'd save them $2.75m against the cap next year.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:12 AM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I agree.

I do think the team needs size, and we talk about adding someone to that line who can score 20+ but we presume that it would be to play with Kelly and Peverley. With the way Bourque has been playing I'd actually like to see how that line would work with Bourque and the new guy.

If Bourque could (eventually) replace Peverley as the waterbug/offensive catalyst on that line he'd save them $2.75m against the cap next year.
I've been thinking the same thing lately. They both bring the same game (if Bourque can keep it up). Neither are suited in a 3rd line checking role and perhaps having both of em there is part of the problem. I don't know what kind of market would be out there for Peverly with his new deal.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
Dom - OHL
ohlwriters.me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
I've comprised a list of LWs as well as those players who can play general for third line forward. Seeing what people would like to take a run at before the Trade Deadline. Listing only UFAs and possibly pieces that could move...

Morrow, Brenden
Clowe, Ryane
Gagne, Simon
Ryder, Michael
Boyes, Brad
Wolski, Wojtek
Fehr, Eric
Hendricks, Matt
Miller, Drew
Penner, Dustin
Filppula, Valtteri
Prospal, Vinny
Hejduk, Milan
Higgins, Chris
Cullen, Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
We almost got Morrow last year but Dallas went on that crazy run. OOG can elaborate if he wants to.
There was talk, but many things played into Dallas not doing the deal.

On the list above, Morrow is the most likeliest option there IMO.

All the Alfie talk was just speculation. He wants to remain in Ottawa, is flattered by the talk but wants to get Ottawa into the playoffs. Again, it was speculation based on "if" Ottawa falls out of contention and the connection with Boston would seem a fit. I'm not holding my breath for Alfie or Iginla for that matter.

Right now, as of February 22, 2013, It's my opinion that Ryan O'Reilly is at the top of the list. Still a long way to go to trade deadline however.

Closed Thread