HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Juxtaposer's Mock Draft (Rounds 1 and 2)

Old
04-09-2013, 03:52 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Juxtaposer's Mock Draft (Rounds 1 and 2)

Standings as of 4/8/13. Comments and critiques are welcome. I don't pretend to be an expert on any of these players.

1. Colorado – Seth Jones, D
Fills a major need and is the consensus BPA. Big, strong, smart, good in both ends. Doesn’t have any glaring flaw.

2. Florida – Nathan Mackinnon, C
Again, fills a need and would look phenomenal centering Huberdeau. Loves to score goals, but he's a very, very good playmaker as well. Best skater in the draft and a pretty decent defensive player as well.

3. Calgary – Aleksandr Barkov Jr., C
Drouin may have more raw talent, but Barkov is almost a sure-fire two-way #1C, someone who is the backbone of a contender. Barkov’s skating has improved significantly, and his two-way ability is as good as anyone in this draft.

4. Tampa – Jonathan Drouin, W
With St. Louis aging, the Lightning will need a playmaking winger to compliment Stamkos. Drouin is insanely talented and will put butts in the seats.

5. Carolina – Valeri Nichushkin, W
After locking up Semin long-term, Carolina is not gun-shy taking the insanely talented powerwinger. He’s got elite size and skating.

6. Philadelphia – Ryan Pulock, RD
Despite his falling in the rankings, I think Pulock is the second best defenseman in the draft and he’d be perfect for the Flyers: righty two-way D with good puck-movement and a bomb of a shot.

7. Nashville – Sean Monahan, C
You can’t get ice time in Nashville without being a complete player. Monahan already is at age 18, and has the offensive upside and leadership ability to change this franchise.

8. Buffalo – Darnell Nurse, RD
A common complaint of the Sabres is being easy to play again. Nurse is anything but, and is an extreme solid defensive player with the puck skills, size, skating, and smarts to hack it in Buffalo’s top-4 soon.

9. Columbus – Elias Lindholm, C/W
Columbus drafts best forward available. He also happens to be coming off one of the best draft seasons of any 18 year old in the Elitserien. Can play C or W, has elite offensive upside. Well-rounded and gritty.

10. Edmonton – Nikita Zadorov, LD
Team still needs to get bigger and better defensively. What better than a huge defenseman who can shutdown the best of forwards?

11. Dallas – Rasmus Ristolainen, RD
Dallas needs a young righty on D, and the steady, mobile Finn completes their future on the back-end. Ristolainen is very close to NHL ready, having logged huge minutes in his draft season in the SM-Liga.

12. Winnipeg – Hunter Shinkaruk, W
The Jets need a speedy winger to compliment Kane, and they get one in Shinkaruk. Equal parts sniper and playmaker, the slippery forward will fit right in on a sheltered scoring line.

13. Jersey – Anthony Mantha, W
With what is likely the last 1st round pick they can make before being forced to forfeit their first in 2014, the Devils go big or go home. Manthan is big, fast, strong, and puts up tons of shots. Concerns – and the reason Mantha may fall lower than 13 – are his work ethic and tendency to float for long stretches. But the same thing was said about Brandon Saad.

14. Phoenix – Frederik Gauthier, C
With their back-end secure for years to come, Phoenix takes a big center in the Hanzal mold, whom you can never have enough of. Gauthier is an elite defensive forward who is a good skater for his size and has significant offensive upside and puck handling.

15. New York I. – Adam Erne, W
Erne’s production has slid late in the season and was benched for lack of work ethic once this season, but his other qualities (size, skating, complete play, ability to drive the net with ease, and enough offensive creativity to warrant a high selection) make him a great future winger for the Isles.

16. Columbus (via NYR) – Alexander Wennberg, C/W
Columbus grabs the second Swede of the first round. Wennberg is a jack-of-all-trades type of player, with good size, skating, two-way play, and physicality, and has turned up the offense as the season’s gone on, starting with a strong WJC. Unites him with Lindholm and Erixon.

17. Washington – Curtis Lazar, C/W
Washington has needed a strong two-way #2C behind Backstrom for years. Lazar can skate, hit, and defend with the best of him. He’s equally adept on the wing as center. He’s not the strongest playmaker, but his shot is elite and is where he makes his bread offensively.

18. Detroit – Max Domi, C/W
Domi’s a risk, but with a strong stable of safe prospects at all positions, the Wings can afford to take one. They lack a #1C prospect, and Domi has the skill. If he can overcome the size issue, this could be a huge boom for Detroit.

19. Ottawa – Valentin Zykov, W
Zykov has turned into a force of late, forcing himself into the first round. He’s extremely strong on his skates and loves to score.

20. Calgary (via STL) – Joshua Morrissey, LD
Calgary needs, well, everything, but an extremely talented potential top-4 defenseman is a great addition to Barkov. Morrissey is a two-way defenseman at the junior level and is very smart, but his size may inhibit him from being effective defensively at the NHL level. Regardless, he’s an extremely exciting puck-rushing speedster who could be a huge boom.

21. Buffalo (via MIN) – Kerby Rychel, W
Rychel’s another risky pick, but Buffalo is young up front. They’re also small, and Rychel brings the powerforward element they lack.

22. San Jose – Andre Burkovsky, W
Burakovsky was thought of as a future top-10 pick at the beginning of the season, but mediocre counting numbers in the Allsvenskan caused him to fall down in most rankings. Still, he has great upside and is exactly what SJ needs.

23. Columbus (via LAK) – Jason Dickinson, C/W
With two safe forwards in the fold, the Jackets go for a riskier pick. Dickinson has lots of tools and looks great, but where is the production? He’s big, fast, and gritty.

24. Toronto – Nic Petan, C
Toronto’s surprise playoff appearance, while exciting, leaves them out of the top of the draft where there are several potential #1C’s with size. At 25, they’ll have to forgo the size, but they get the extremely slippery and talented Petan, who but for his size would be a top-5 pick easily. Petan isn’t afraid to go to the dirty areas.

25. Vancouver – Keaton Thompson, RD
Vancouver could use talent at any position, but RHD seems particularly important with the trade of Conauton, and Thompson has good upside, as one of the youngest players in the draft. Good two-way player with offensive upside.

26. Boston – Ian McCoshen, LD
McCoshen’s got great numbers in the USHL, and Boston would welcome a defenseman who’s committed to BC to play in their backyard. McCoshen plays a simple, steady defensive game.

27. Montreal – Ryan Hartman, W
Hartman’s a safe pick to play in the NHL, hitting all the ‘grit’ and ‘heart’ buzzwords. Montreal has an embarrassment of high-end talent, they can go for a safe and toolsy pick.

28. Calgary (via PIT) – Bo Horvat, C/W
With the last of their first rounders, taking Horvat completes a strong first round for Calgary. Horvat is an extremely good two-way player and strong skater who can slot at center or at wing. He’s got good size and seems to be a safe bet to be an NHLer. How much offense he can produce is the question, because he’s got great numbers considering the role he plays in London.

29. Anaheim – JT Compher, C
Another team with an embarrassment of prospects at every position, Anaheim takes a great all-around player in Compher. He’s got great two-way skills and ethic, which makes him a great fit among the flashier Etem, Palmieri, and Holland.

30. Chicago – Robert Hagg, D
I can’t find a real reason to put Hägg here other than that I think he’s the BPA and Chicago doesn’t have any real needs that could be filled. Hägg could be a riser on draft day, with his size and smarts. Smooth skater and steady in his own end with offensive upside to boot.

31. Colorado – Morgan Klimchuk, W
Colorado adds an ultra-talented sniper to their forward corps.

32. Florida – Madison Bowey, RD
With their forwards set with Mackinnon/Huberdeau/Shore/Bjugstad and the like, the Cats grab a defenseman from the Kelowna factory.

33. Montreal (via CGY) – Mirco Mueller, LD
Mueller is a two-way defenseman who’s stepped it up big-time in the playoffs for Everett.

34. Tampa – Shea Theodore, RD
Tampa is in dire need of a puck-mover to pair with Hedman, and Theodore is their guy. He’s a work in progress defensively and his stats aren’t fantastic, but he’s playing for a very bad team in the WHL and has huge upside as an offensive defenseman. Big frame, but skinny kid.

35. Carolina – Justin Bailey, C/W
Bailey’s a project, but he’s a big kid with upside who’s a great skater, and Carolina needs that. He’s very young for this draft, and has had to deal with a Kitchener team that’s been up and down.

36. Philadelphia – Jordan Subban, RD
I expect some will say this is too high, but forgetting the size issue for a moment, Jordan is an extremely talented puck-mover and has great athletic genes. It’s a gamble, but it could pay off big time. Many of the critiques of Jordan are those of PK in his draft year. Regardless, Philly needs more PMD.

37. Montreal (via NSH) – Anthony Duclair, W
Yeah, I know, stereotypical pick. But Duclair’s an elite skater who’s flashy and electric and exciting, and his upside makes him very desirable to a team with several 2nd rounders.

38. Buffalo – Zach Fucale, G
Hackett helps, but he’s no sure bet and the Sabres need a high-end goaltending prospect to duke it out with Hackett after Miller’s gone. While his record is due to a powerhouse Halifax team, he makes outstanding saves with regularity.

39. Columbus – Steve Santini, RD
Stantini’s a safe pick, a prototypical shutdown guy. Great physical game.

40. Edmonton –Tristan Jarry, G
Dubnyk looks like the real deal, but Jarry is a great goaltending prospect and we all know how much the Oilers love Oil Kings.

41. Dallas – Artturi Lehkonen, W
Lehkonen is a first round talent, but he took a hit mid-season that left him with a concussion and questions about his size and ability to slip hits at the NHL level. Still, he’s put great numbers up in the SM-Liga, and he’s not even 18 yet. There’s still time to get bigger.

42. Winnipeg – Samuel Morin, LD
The Peg is stacked at right D with Buff, Bogo, and Trouba, they could use a lefty. He’s huge at 6’7’’, and still has tons of filling out to do. Skating’s a concern.

43. Jersey – Nick Sorenson, W
Sorenson is talented and often overlooked. Skinny for an above average height, definitely needs to put on weight.

44. Phoenix – Eric Comrie, G
Mike Smith is not a long-term solution, and Visentin hasn’t been great. Comrie’s got good numbers and could be a future starter.

45. Anaheim (via NYI) – Willian Carrier, W
Dunno what to think of Carrier, as he’s trailed off after a torrid start, but he’s playing for a weak and under-scouted team, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

46. San Jose (via NYR) – Connor Hurley, C
Who knows what we have in Hurley? He’s playing HS, so very low competition, but he’s obviously very skilled. Risky pick, also someone who could rise high draft day if a scout becomes enamored with him. Smart, great hands and skating. Worth noting that he’s one day away from being 2014 eligible.

47. Washington – Dillon Heatherington, LD
Heatherington keeps rising as the year goes on. He’s got good size and skating, and is a very safe, smart, calm, low-risk defensman. Potential partner for Carlson or Greeen.

48. Detroit – Jimmy Lodge, C
Lodge just keeps rising, putting up signficaint numbers after being a relative no name. He may rise further than this. He’s reached a PPG in the OHL and looks to be getting even better. Quick on the rush and goes hard to the net, but needs to put on muscle. Good vision and strong on the boards.

49. St. Louis (via OTT) – Chris Bigras, LD
St. Louis may have found a short-term top-2 lefty, but Bigras would help them find a long term guy. Bigras is a strong offensive defenseman. Physical play and defensive ability need improvement, but no doubt he’s skilled and could be a big riser.

50. Buffalo (via STL) – Ryan Fitzgerald, W
Fitzgerald is a strong two-way player with high hockey sense and puck skills. His size and shot makes him desirable, and he's committed to a good hockey program at BC.

51. Minnesota – Zach Nastasiuk, W
Good size and very good playoff numbers, Minnesota could use as much scoring as they can get.

52. San Jose – Laurent Dauphin, C
Dauphin seems to be a skilled pest, but more skilled than people give him credit for.

53. Los Angeles – Taylor Cammarata, W
He’s certainly undersized, but he’s very, very talented. Also good friends with Mackinnon from their Shattuck days.

54. Toronto – Pavel Buchnevich, C
Buchnevich was considered an early first round talent to start the year, but has started to fall. Still, he’s a very talented center who sees the ice well and has great potential. Great playmaker and possession player with very good puck skills.

55. Dallas (via VAN) – Ryan Kujawinski, C
Up and down year, but he’s shown good upside.

56. Boston – Emile Poirier, W
Poirier wasn’t on anyone’s radar until you look at the PPG+ pace he’s on through 65 games in the Q. Over 100 PIMs suggests a sandpaper quality to his game.

57. Montreal – Oliver Bjorkstrand, W
Bjorkstrand is a speedy skill player who was one of the WHL’s top scoring rookies and helped Portland become a powerhouse team this year. He has significant questions about his strength and size and willingness to be less of a perimeter player, and the fact that he plays for a stacked team. If a scout does their homework, he could be a steal.

58. San Jose (via PIT) – Jacob De La Rose, W
De La Rose is a confusing player. For starters, he’s a great skater, gritty player, and has great two-way ability. However, he has not shown significant offensive upside. But, all it takes is for one team to see it and he’s gone in the first.

59. Winnipeg (comp) – Marko Dano, C
Showed his speed and skill at the WJC. Dano is a sniper with great offenive instincts. He’s not produced a ton in the KHL, but even being in the KHL at his age is an accomplishment that cannot be overlooked.

60. Edmonton (via ANA) – Tyler Hill, W
Hill’s a big, powerforward type, who’s a big question mark due to the low quality of competition he’s faced most of the season. He’s 6’6’’ with great physical tools, and has decent USHL numbers in the games he’s played with them. Could be a gold medal pick for the Oilers, in a different vain than the Moroz’s and the Kessy’s of the world.

61. Winnipeg (via CHI) – Spencer Martin, G
Pavelec is not a great goaltender. Jets have little in the way of goaltending prospects. Martin helps remedy that.

Last edited by TheJuxtaposer: 04-09-2013 at 01:29 PM.
TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Looks pretty solid. I'm not a big fan of taking Thompson there, I like Hagg much better. He'd probably be my pick for us there.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
You nailed it from an Oilers perspective size and grit on D, a big project Power Foreword down the wing, and I love the Jarry pick although I don't think he'll be around at 40, if he is, the Oil would love to have him, they also love drafting Oil Kings.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

vCash: 500
^yup, only i'd take RD Ristolainen instead, but G Jarry and F Hill i would not be upset at from an Oiler fan's point of view.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
sjci

vCash: 313
A couple things. St, Louis' 2nd belongs to Buffalo as a result of the Leopold trade. I don't think Horvat will fall that far, and if he does, Buffalo would definitely take him with their later 1st. I don't hate the Nurse pick, but I don't love it. I think they'd look at Lindholm, but you never know. I also think the Flyers would go Nurse over Pulock. Just small things, but overall a very nicely done draft

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
As a preds fan I'd be happy with Monahan, but I'd prefer Lindholm. Nice draft.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

As an Avs fan, I love it, good job.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Not complaining at all from a Stars' perspective, would love this if these are our picks. RR is a guy I'm a big fan of, and I personally think he's the second best defender behind Jones this year.

We also would have Boston's 2nd in this case.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^i agree about RR, and would be happy as a squirrel with a nut if my Oilers got him!

Old
04-10-2013, 02:53 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Compher and Carrier would be awesome.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Sundinisagod
Weed

Your mock looks good...but I think Philly will take a d-man with size and physical presence...I think Nurse would be their #1 choice at their draft position, followed by Risto then Zadorov.

Nothing more than a hunch, I think the Leafs will go for Fucale with their 1st.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Shanny14ew

Gutsy moving Barkov up to 3! respect that.

Petan is kid I am looking to jump up in the draft. Small but uber talented. There is place for kids like this in the new NHL. Gotta think some GM will recognize this.

Putting a shout out for my league: New keeper to start drafting very soon. 3 of 24 spots remaining. Visit us here to check it out:

http://iffhl.proboards.com/

Shanny14ew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:12 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

vCash: 1170
I'd be ticked off if Calgary got Barkov, but only since I'm an Oilers fan.

But I really like this draft for the oilers, fills two pressing needs.

As a causal Avs and Caps fan I like it as well.

Good draft, nice job

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Rather see Calgary take Hagg with the 3rd pick maybe Klimchuk. Horvat would probably be my 5th choice though.

I like the first 2 if we pick at 3 and 20

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
Rather see Calgary take Hagg with the 3rd pick maybe Klimchuk. Horvat would probably be my 5th choice though.

I like the first 2 if we pick at 3 and 20
When I first read this, I thought you meant with the 3rd OVERALL pick..

Kurdt Kobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
When I first read this, I thought you meant with the 3rd OVERALL pick..
In 10 years...

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
As other Oilers fans in here have said I think I'd prefer Ristolainen to Zadarov.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
jacketman10

As a Blue Jackets fan, I can only hope we would be lucky enough to land those first two picks. Dickinson is a guy, that if he puts it together, watch out. Sets up the franchise nicely.

jacketman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
I don't think Fucale falls to 38, in fact I think the leafs take him with their pick. Everything else seems -ok-.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Xoggz22

As a CBJ fan I would be ecstatic with that first round. Not unhappy with the 2nd either but think a guy like Lodge might be an option for Columbus too. Nice job. Very complete and seems to really address our needs. I would absolutely love both Lindholm and Wennberg!

Excellent job.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:20 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
As a Leaf fan, I get the feeling Nonis swings for the fences and picks Fucale. He hasn't showed the most confidence in Reimer despite his amazing play of late; so this would be a good insurance pick for him. It's also the weakest point in our prospect pool.

edit: Forgot to say that this is a really solid mock.

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Well of the two players you've picked for Toronto, One who is undersized, And the other Russian. Two things we never went for while BB was running the show. However I would expect a broader view when it comes to the draft under DN.

I like the two players, And it's a nice mock overall.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post

14. Phoenix – Frederik Gauthier, C
With their back-end secure for years to come, Phoenix takes a big center in the Hanzal mold, whom you can never have enough of. Gauthier is an elite defensive forward who is a good skater for his size and has significant offensive upside and puck handling.

17. Washington – Curtis Lazar, C/W
Washington has needed a strong two-way #2C behind Backstrom for years. Lazar can skate, hit, and defend with the best of him. He’s equally adept on the wing as center. He’s not the strongest playmaker, but his shot is elite and is where he makes his bread offensively.
From a Coyotes fan's perspective I think they'd take Lazar over Gauthier. Nothing against Gauthier, it's just Lazar fills a much bigger need than a Hanzal-ish Center. Henrik Samuelsson is the only Center in the Phoenix pipeline who has 2nd-line potential as a scorer. Lazar would become the 2nd.

BTW very good draft.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

^unfortunately, from an Oiler fan's point of view, if we don't draft in the top 8 or so, the Oil will take Lazar well before #17 or #24 or wherever he ends up on the final draft list on draft day. helped the Oilers cause by playing junior in their back yard where they had a chance to see him all the time.