HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryane Clowe to PIT

Old
01-13-2013, 12:54 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhoogasian94123 View Post
I guess you don't watch the Sharks. Clowe is much better than Cooke. He has improved over the past 2-3 years and his Shootout moves have helped us out.
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am more than a little surprised that Pens fans are always looking to trade for a winger.

If there is anything the Penguins don't need it is forwards. That is the strength of the team.

The Penguins D on the other hand was absolutely horrible in the playoffs and really lacks a rock solid shutdown defenseman. That is what they need to trade for if anything in my opinion.
Veteran defensive defensemen aren't always comfortable coming into Bylsma's system, which stresses quick transition and smart pinches to force the opposition to play in their end. Case in point: Martin and Michalek.

Unless there's an option out there that's a clear, definitive improvement over Michalek - who we just traded - we're probably better off developing defensemen internally.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Veteran defensive defensemen aren't always comfortable coming into Bylsma's system, which stresses quick transition and smart pinches to force the opposition to play in their end. Case in point: Martin and Michalek.

Unless there's an option out there that's a clear, definitive improvement over Michalek - who we just traded - we're probably better off developing defensemen internally.
Does that mean that there is something wrong with the system then?

What has changed since the Pens won the Cup? They had shutdown D like Scuderi and Gill then.

The Pens have the prospects to develop but I doubt that is going to help this year.

Not that he would be available but a guy like Dennis Seidenberg is what I think the Pens need.

Why wouldn't the Pens try to improve on D, they already have the best offense in the league, they don't need improvement there, why wouldn't they use all of their resources to improve an area where they actually need it because I don't see them winning anything unless they fix the D.

Last edited by nmbr_24: 01-13-2013 at 01:36 AM.
nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:43 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
Does that mean that there is something wrong with the system then?

What has changed since the Pens won the Cup? They had shutdown D like Scuderi and Gill then.

The Pens have the prospects to develop but I doubt that is going to help this year.

Not that he would be available but a guy like Dennis Seidenberg is what I think the Pens need.

Why wouldn't the Pens try to improve on D, they already have the best offense in the league, they don't need improvement there, why wouldn't they use all of their resources to improve an area where they actually need it because I don't see them winning anything unless they fix the D.
Hard to say. DB's system has worked well before, but the team is letting us down when it matters lately...I put more blame on the vet defensemen's judgments than DB's system. During the Cup run, DB had yet to fully implement his system, so maybe that's why Scuds and Gill thrived. Or maybe they just played within themselves.

Currently though, we became a much better team when Martin got hurt during the Philly series, and Niskanen and a couple rookies divvied up his time. Moving him might be addition by subtraction, but I guess we're going to give him the opportunity to bounce back.

We also added Vokoun, so that should bolster the goaltending situation if Fleury goes loopy again.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:53 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Hard to say. DB's system has worked well before, but the team is letting us down when it matters lately...I put more blame on the vet defensemen's judgments than DB's system. During the Cup run, DB had yet to fully implement his system, so maybe that's why Scuds and Gill thrived. Or maybe they just played within themselves.

Currently though, we became a much better team when Martin got hurt during the Philly series, and Niskanen and a couple rookies divvied up his time. Moving him might be addition by subtraction, but I guess we're going to give him the opportunity to bounce back.

We also added Vokoun, so that should bolster the goaltending situation if Fleury goes loopy again.
I looked at the team playing better against Philly as having their backs against the wall and they didn't want to be further embarrassed.

When Martin got injured I thought it was more a case of them playing a simpler game and over time Niskanen could not replace Martin.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like Niskanen's game very much.

I do think Martin would be better on a team like NJ, NYR, Boston, St Louis with the way they play.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:32 AM
SwolePatrol
Eberle=Clutch

Clowe+Murray for Sutter+Kennedy

dont wanna move Sutter, then we dont wanna move Clowe. that simple

SwolePatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
CJV123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLinePlug View Post
Clowe+Murray for Sutter+Kennedy

dont wanna move Sutter, then we dont wanna move Clowe. that simple
Agree a deal looks like Clowe + () for TK + ().

CJV123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
When Martin got injured I thought it was more a case of them playing a simpler game and over time Niskanen could not replace Martin.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't like Niskanen's game very much.

I do think Martin would be better on a team like NJ, NYR, Boston, St Louis with the way they play.
I agree that Martin would look better on a team that required him to play a less aggressive system.

But Niskanen wasn't just better than Martin in the playoffs, he was better than him all year long. He really found his groove last year, which is why Pens fans are loathe to include him in any proposals. Letang, Niskanen, and Engelland were our 3 best and most reliable defensemen last year.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
rockinghockey

If SJ are going for a cup run they can't move Clowe unless they are going after a better winger.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote