HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

UPDATE: Coyotes Looking For 2nd Line Center. Rumored To Be Toronto's Matt Lombardi

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnybaby View Post
Quote:
Can someone explain that proposal to me? The Leafs trade for Redden and 3rd by giving up Christian Thomas and a 5th? Thomas is a Ranger prospect I don't understand how the Leafs are giving him up in the deal.
I screwed that up. Apologies all around, and edited herewith....

It was meant to be
Redden + Rangers 2015 3rd to Toronto + Christian Thomas (son of former Leaf great Steve Thomas)
for
Leafs 5th in 2013

Rangers have options on Redden, best solution is to trade him, which requires someone who can afford him for balance of his contract, who might want to use one of their 2 buyouts if necessary, but who do not particularly show need to buy out at this time. That could be leafs if we can agree on the cost of what you want to take him off our hands...

Quote:
Even if the Leafs did have Thomas. The proposal as Redden and a 2015 3rd for B-prospect + 2013 5th. In what world do the Leafs want Redden? and in what world would they actually give up value for him? Weird.
The correction should clarify this.
Your 5th next year for a NY 3rd in 2015 + Thomas.

Thomas is boom-bust. He has all the tools but is slightly undersized.
He could just not cut it, in which case this meant nada, or, with or without a lot of protein shakes, he could become another Martin St. Louis, at which point his value is way more than a second or third on top of the 2015 3rd. But that is an admitted risk.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:43 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

It was meant to be
Redden + Rangers 2015 3rd to Toronto + Christian Thomas (son of former Leaf great Steve Thomas)
for
Leafs 5th in 2013

Rangers have options on Redden, best solution is to trade him, which requires someone who can afford him for balance of his contract, who might want to use one of their 2 buyouts if necessary, but who do not particularly show need to buy out at this time. That could be leafs if we can agree on the cost of what you want to take him off our hands...

The correction should clarify this.
Your 5th next year for a NY 3rd in 2015 + Thomas.

Thomas is boom-bust. He has all the tools but is slightly undersized.
He could just not cut it, in which case this meant nada, or, with or without a lot of protein shakes, he could become another Martin St. Louis, at which point his value is way more than a second or third on top of the 2015 3rd. But that is an admitted risk.
If you're following the news, it's a possibility the NHL will allow us to buy out Redden right now.

Hold your horses, our entire fanbase has been trying to tell you there is no point in trading Redden, especially if we have to give up value to do so.

We're dropping in the draft and giving up Thomas for what exactly? We don't need the capspace this season and we don't have anyone else to use the buyout on anyway.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
How about Lombardi for Boedker? PS, anyone want some Rohypnol?
Boedker for Lombardi + Don Maloney's unharmed family members

Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Man Bear Pig

Is the title implying that Lombardi is a second line center?

Old
01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I wonder how far off O'Reilly and Elliott/Barrie/Gaunce/Siemens for Hanzal and Gormley is. Phoenix trades the more established package but gets the higher ceilinged one.

As an Avs fan I still like the idea of Radar and one of the prospects for Kulikov and Matthias more, but both are trades I could get behind if we do have to trade O'Reilly.
Maloney is looking for guys up the middle. Not getting rid of. Hanzal isnt going anywhere. The proposal above simply doesnt solve anything for either team. Just passing parts and not addressing the goal at hand.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Is there any particular reason the Leafs decide to take on a buyout contract to move up a to a third round draft pick?

Seriously?

We are just going to throw a lifeline to the Rags so they can go get Yandle on their team too?
With apology.
Was supposed to be Thomas + the pick swap.

You are not supposed to throw us a lifeline.
We can buy out Redden ourselves.
The point was
1). as a precursor to something around Stepan + for Yandle --- which is the relevant part of the thread --- , do we want to move Redden if we get any takers, assuming one can be adequately bribed?

2). after we finalize the cap clearing move of Redden -- what changes if any agreed to --- then, knowing what those possible revisions might be, what is the exact deal for Yandle (Stepan +)

Old
01-15-2013, 01:00 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Maloney is looking for guys up the middle. Not getting rid of. Hanzal isnt going anywhere. The proposal above simply doesnt solve anything for either team. Just passing parts and not addressing the goal at hand.
Pretty much exactly how I feel about it, as an Avs fan. Rather just add a + to O'Reilly for Yandle.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
If you're following the news, it's a possibility the NHL will allow us to buy out Redden right now.

Hold your horses, our entire fanbase has been trying to tell you there is no point in trading Redden, especially if we have to give up value to do so.

We're dropping in the draft and giving up Thomas for what exactly? We don't need the capspace this season and we don't have anyone else to use the buyout on anyway.
That would be a difference maker.

As to why, it is a ? of whether the cost is worth the flexibility, particularly as it would be immediate flexibility.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:

It was meant to be
for
Leafs 5th in 2013
Plus Leafs paying 5 million + 3.3 million (buyout).

There is no chance the Leafs will pay 8.3 million and give up a pick in the next draft for B/C level prospect and a 3rd pick in three years. Maybe, maybe it makes sense if you give a 2nd round pick in next years draft.

I hope they do let you guys buy him out and just carry the full 6.5 million cap hit for this year only. You're planning on doing it anyway. At least give him a chance to play.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Is the title implying that Lombardi is a second line center?
This...lol

Old
01-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Registered Hoosier

Has Lombardi fallen this much, that Leaf fans are willing to simply give him away? I thought he was great when he was last with Phoenix.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Magic Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Has Lombardi fallen this much, that Leaf fans are willing to simply give him away? I thought he was great when he was last with Phoenix.
I think many believe moving Lombardi opens up a spot for Nazem Kadri. Lombardi is coming off a bad year and an injury year before that. I don't think many care at all if he brings anything back.

IMO it's terrible asset management.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
I think many believe moving Lombardi opens up a spot for Nazem Kadri. Lombardi is coming off a bad year and an injury year before that. I don't think many care at all if he brings anything back.

IMO it's terrible asset management.
Not really. He was a cap dump when he was acquired and hasn't really done much to disprove that (unlike, for example, Lupul). We don't really believe he will end up doing much and the largest benefit is as you say, an open roster spot on the wing where we have plenty of players ready for a shot.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 309
Quote:
for
Leafs 5th in 2013
I would do that.

And I like Lombardi, but he was unable to regain his form after his injury. If a change of scenery will help him, I will happily let him go, for the sake of his own career.
He's a good guy, and a good player that a bad thing happened to. Best of luck to him where ever he is.

Old
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Magic Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping it Blue View Post
Not really. He was a cap dump when he was acquired and hasn't really done much to disprove that (unlike, for example, Lupul). We don't really believe he will end up doing much and the largest benefit is as you say, an open roster spot on the wing where we have plenty of players ready for a shot.
He was only a cap dump because he had missed a full year with concussion and there was no return in sight. He had 2 years left at 3.5 million, uninsured with a small market team.

Since then he has played 60+ games without recieving a concussion. Had another extra bit of time to recover/get in shape due to the lockout. He also only has one year left with the possibility of the contract being a prorated 1.75 million dollar amount/cap-hit.

The Leafs also aren't messing with the cap and other than making room for Nazem Kadri have no need to mess with team depth. Ashton, Hamilton, Aucoin, Colborne aren't better at this point than Lombardi.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Naych_PHX
Hey now!

Where did this rumor come from? Here? It seems like a plausible move but who knows if it's really more than that.

And yeah, the Coyotes are pretty much looking at any center at this point. I'd like something better but would gladly try Lombo out again.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Commander Clueless
Spaz-o-matic Dan

Quote:
He struggled last year (and who can blame him with that injury) and didn't seem to fit well. It mostly boils down to Leafs fans begging (and rightfully so IMO) for the team to play guys like Kadri and Frattin.

I like Lombo but the Leafs need roster space.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
He was great in Phoenix. Then he signed a big contract in Nashville and suffered a major concision 2 games into it. Got traded to Toronto in a cap dump and couldn't regain form last season.
In fairness he did miss a full year including all of training camp.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:07 PM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Clark MacArthur for a conditional 1st round pick in 2013. If the pick is any higher than 20th overall, it changes to a 2nd and a 5th.
haha good one

Old
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
haha good one
Leafs were offered a 1st at the deadline last year for Mac.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Anderson55

The leafs should be paying teams to get Lombardi and Connolly off their roster

Old
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Nice rumour, if true just another reason why burke isnt the GM anymore

Old
stakesishigh
how swede it is

vCash: 1857
Quote:
He was rather ineffective last year but he missed a decent chunk of time and I may be one of the few people who wants to see how he performs after a healthy off-season and training camp (even a shortened one will help I'm sure).

Unless we desperately need the roster spot he's taking up, I see no harm whatsoever in giving him a chance in Toronto this season or at least until the deadline and see how he fares.

That being said, I do have low expectations for the guy but I'm hoping he regains a bit of his former self that saw success in Phoenix. I'd hate to trade him for garbage and see him play great this year on Phoenix, so hopefully he sticks around and plays well. However, like one of the above posters said, he just sorta seemed like he didn't fit in last year so we'll see whether or not that changes.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
This is HFboards

20 goal 40 assist player isn't worth anything.

Before people point out his 20 assist season look at kulemin's goal total.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
tankotopgun

Quote:
He was only a cap dump because he had missed a full year with concussion and there was no return in sight. He had 2 years left at 3.5 million, uninsured with a small market team.

Since then he has played 60+ games without recieving a concussion. Had another extra bit of time to recover/get in shape due to the lockout. He also only has one year left with the possibility of the contract being a prorated 1.75 million dollar amount/cap-hit.

The Leafs also aren't messing with the cap and other than making room for Nazem Kadri have no need to mess with team depth. Ashton, Hamilton, Aucoin, Colborne aren't better at this point than Lombardi.
I would agree with most of that following him. He has the potential to be a 20 to 25 goal scorer and would be suited for a 2nd or 3rd line center assignment. when hes healthy seems to be a point everyother game player which is decent depth. also if you watched the leafs last year they shifted him all over the place not really letting him get comfortable with his linemates. I dont care what anyone says most play better with a line they get comfortable on and have a style of play that gels. i dont think last year was a fair example of what he can bring. oh and speedwise he is on another level. the guy is quick

Closed Thread