HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

UPDATE: Coyotes Looking For 2nd Line Center. Rumored To Be Toronto's Matt Lombardi

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Fogelhund

vCash: 500
Lombardi for a 4th or 5th rounder.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Philly85
I Ain't Even Mad

From an outsider perspective, I always thought Lombardi would become an above average, very useful NHLer. Too bad what's happened to him. Is that's really all he's worth now, a 4th or 5th round pick?

Old
01-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
From an outsider perspective, I always thought Lombardi would become an above average, very useful NHLer. Too bad what's happened to him. Is that's really all he's worth now, a 4th or 5th round pick?
He isn't worth much to Toronto. We have a logjam of players at about the same skill level, most of them being younger players who need some NHL playing time.

At this point, taking him off our hands would be a favour, both to him and to us. I'm not saying he is terrible, just that he doesn't fit into our picture currently.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
Lombardi and a 3rd round pick for Klesla. I think a toronto-phx trade will happen by the end of the week. I'm thinking Nonis is waiting for the end of training camp before he pulls the trigger
Haha. More like Klesla and a 3rd for Grabovski.

01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
It's depth at C. Hanzel frequently is put into a shutdown role. Lombardi would give !aloney another offensive option. Bonus is his familiarity w Phoenix's system.
Maloney said himself, a second line center. Lombardi is a fringe NHL player at this point. A depth player on most teams. The Coyotes simply arent looking for that. They want a legitimate #2 guy.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Manchistah Yernited

vCash: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Unfortunately yes. We could keep him around till the TDD to see if he can play up his value, but it's also a numbers game in Leafs camp right now, and if Kadri and Frattin both appear to be better, shipping him out is the ideal solution for the Leafs.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Lombardi for a 4th round pick? He's had better days in Phoenix and after losing Whitney, they can sure use someone like Lombardi to try and get back to where he was before.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
I'd think they wait to see if Gomez would come there, would they not?

Old
01-16-2013, 09:33 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Lombardi for a 4th round pick? He's had better days in Phoenix and after losing Whitney, they can sure use someone like Lombardi to try and get back to where he was before.
Only if you eat half the salary.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Salary Kapanen

The Leafs and 'Yotes have made a similar trade to this recently, too. Stempniak was a fringe forward in Toronto, traded to Phoenix for a 4th and 7th round pick. Then he lit it up for the Coyotes with like 12 goals in 20 games or something.

It also wouldn't be the first time Phoenix re-acquires a former player. Z Michalek, for example. He never fit in Pittsburgh, but he had success in Phoenix before, so it made sense.

I think the same deal would be a smart move here. Re-acquire Lombardi for a 4th round pick. Toronto can even eat a percentage of salary, if that helps. Leafs will be ahppy to open up roster space, and the Coyotes will have a cheap, familiar, low-risk player to try on the 2nd line.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Kingler

I'm not sure if DL will trade Bernier now. Quick is coming back from surgery and DL isn't a guy to gamble on trading Bernier. Plus Willie Mitchell is still injured, and if we really need an extra defenseman then Bernier will be the best trade chip

Regarding Reimer...well lets say he's similar to Bernier. That doesn't mean Toronto shouldn't trade for Bernier. Reimer, and Scrivens, are far from being established. And the key is to find "1" franchise goalie and if you are going to develop young goalie then chances are you better not put your eggs into one basket. Buffalo carried Biron, Noronen and Miller for several seasons and they waited to pick the right one. IMO, you can never have enough young goalie as you never know how they will develop

Old
01-16-2013, 10:14 AM
RABBIT
KILLAFORNIA KING

Maloney made it clear yesterday that he wouldn't think about moving our core players like Yandle and Hanzal (mentioned specifically) unless he absolutely can't say no.

So unless your proposal consists of you team's number one center, GMDM will most likely not take it.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
smitty10

I have a feeling that Paul Bissonette could be on his way over if Lombardi is traded to Phoenix. Don't know how I feel about that though..

Old
01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
The Leafs and 'Yotes have made a similar trade to this recently, too. Stempniak was a fringe forward in Toronto, traded to Phoenix for a 4th and 7th round pick. Then he lit it up for the Coyotes with like 12 goals in 20 games or something.

It also wouldn't be the first time Phoenix re-acquires a former player. Z Michalek, for example. He never fit in Pittsburgh, but he had success in Phoenix before, so it made sense.

I think the same deal would be a smart move here. Re-acquire Lombardi for a 4th round pick. Toronto can even eat a percentage of salary, if that helps. Leafs will be ahppy to open up roster space, and the Coyotes will have a cheap, familiar, low-risk player to try on the 2nd line.
^ This guy knows how to makes sense. You should teach some online classes on this forum, buddy.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:41 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
Up the middle

Shoring up depth at the center position has become a personal project for General Manager Don Maloney.

For quick results, Maloney has usually turned to the trade or free agent market in recent years (Antoine Vermette and Boyd Gordon are current examples of that).

Thats an area we have to improve and its really hard to find, especially in the age group we want, Maloney said. If were going to give up quality, we want to get quality at a younger age where we can get somebody here for eight or 10 years. Otherwise, well stick with what we have.

But tapping into the draft (like they did with Martin Hanzal) might become more of a priority in the future.

Ive really come to realize you might have to over-draft centermen because a lot of times when you do draft at 17 and as they mature, some of them end up being wingers, Maloney said. Its very easy to go from center to the wing than wing to the center.
ROR for Yandle, is that you?

Old
01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Bozak Lombardi for Vesentin

Old
01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
ROR for Yandle, is that you?
No! Gormley, Gordon, 2nd...tops!

Old
01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Jakey53

Why is everyone so high on this ROR kid? He has similar stats to Turris and now is pulling the same bs that Turris did last year. If Duchene gets back to his normal scoring, ROR ice time and points will drop.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'd think they wait to see if Gomez would come there, would they not?
Claiming him off waivers could make sense...although that doesn't really get them a #2 center...

Old
01-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey53 View Post
Why is everyone so high on this ROR kid? He has similar stats to Turris and now is pulling the same bs that Turris did last year. If Duchene gets back to his normal scoring, ROR ice time and points will drop.
Turris has never scored 30 points, so that's not true. Everyone is so high on O'Reilly because he scored 55 points last year, and offense is the weak part of his game. He's still developing. Particularly in Phoenix, he would fit like a glove.

That said, I will be furious if he gets traded.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Turris has never scored 30 points, so that's not true. Everyone is so high on O'Reilly because he scored 55 points last year, and offense is the weak part of his game. He's still developing. Particularly in Phoenix, he would fit like a glove.

That said, I will be furious if he gets traded.
PPG for Turris and ROR are very similar. Don't get me wrong, I would love ROR on the Coyotes, but not for Yandle, or Gordon and Gormley. If Colorado wants to add something, I would be more than willing to listen.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
It's depth at C. Hanzel frequently is put into a shutdown role. Lombardi would give !aloney another offensive option. Bonus is his familiarity w Phoenix's system.
Technically his shutdown role, should be considered top line role imo, especially considering its importance to the team.

I get that Phoenix could use another center, but I don't understand why they want Lombardi. Hasn't been very impressive in Toronto, and Maloney insists on top 6 player.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:30 PM
Zonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit3119 View Post
Maloney made it clear yesterday that he wouldn't think about moving our core players like Yandle and Hanzal (mentioned specifically) unless he absolutely can't say no.

So unless your proposal consists of you team's number one center, GMDM will most likely not take it.
So if Toronto includes Bozak it's a deal?

Old
01-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Lombardi could be had for next to nothing.

Thought this made the most sense for the Coyotes!

Old
01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Jebuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Maloney said himself, a second line center. Lombardi is a fringe NHL player at this point. A depth player on most teams. The Coyotes simply arent looking for that. They want a legitimate #2 guy.
This is why I don't take much from comments made on this board.

Closed Thread