HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Gormley to the Islanders

Old
01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
giddy up*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
It's also pretty insane to suggest we would trade Gormley as well. It would take an overpayment to get him.
Not even close. Lunacy to think Gormley is anywhere near Tavares in value.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 05:23 PM
CodeE

Since Phoenix fans obviously value Gormley very highly, what would it take to acquire Rundblad? Don't worry, I'm not stupid enough to ask for OEL

CodeE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Rutkowski

Nielsen, straight up.

Rutkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I was all for this until I heard that his girlfriend cheated on him. Seriously though, does he have health issues? Concussion?
He's playing tonight, see what happens.

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:33 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutkowski View Post
Nielsen, straight up.

The isles cant afford to give up Nielsen for a prospect (even a very good one). We have a bunch coming up through our system.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
The isles cant afford to give up Nielsen for a prospect (even a very good one). We have a bunch coming up through our system.
And Phoenix can't give up valuable assets for prospects that might not give us anything in return!

Thing is, you gotta give up something the other team need to get something you need.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
And Phoenix can't give up valuable assets for prospects that might not give us anything in return!

Thing is, you gotta give up something the other team need to get something you need.
If Phoenix doesn't need prospects, why does it require an overpayment to acquire one of their prospects? You would think they'd be willing to trade stuff they don't need at a fair market value.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Rutkowski

They'll need Gormley in a few years when Morris and Klesla move on. They got a couple of years left with their team before a generational shift starts and Doan, Morris, potentially Michalek and Sullivan either move on for greener pastures or, more likely in Doan's case, retire. If they're to trade away a top 4, potentially top 2 D asset then they sure as hell need something worth it to go back.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:46 PM
CodeE

If the Yotes are interested in centers, how about:

Rundblad

for

Josh Bailey or Casey Cikizas
Anders Lee

Anders has a ton of potential and is one of our top center prospects (most likely third behind Strome & Nelson), but can exploit the loophole that wasn't closed and become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Rutkowski

Haha and you think Lee would stay with the Coyotes then? If there's one team in the US that have a harder time attracting UFAs than the Islanders it's the Coyotes. ****, the prime signing this year was Moss for ****'s sake.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
CodeE

Yeah but Phoenix has a winning atmosphere, a much better coach, and a need at center for Anders to work towards (as opposed to always playing behind Tavares/Strome/Nelson on the Island).

Old
01-12-2013, 07:06 PM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
Yeah but Phoenix has a winning atmosphere, a much better coach, and a need at center for Anders to work towards (as opposed to always playing behind Tavares/Strome/Nelson on the Island).
True. Still, Coyotes fans are wary of getting young players who have the chance to jump ship after Wheeler, Mueller and Turris ensured they left the team early.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:09 PM
CaptainCally

vCash: 50
Quote:
JT. Nothing less.
You forgot the ''''

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:16 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Sticking by my proposal from a week or so ago:

to NYI: Rundblad, D

to PHX: Nelson, C

Isles get their top-4(potentially top-2)RH PMD, Yotes get their 2nd line(possibly 1st line)big bodied, 2-way center.

Isles still have a center nucleus of Tavares-Strome-Nielsen-Cizikas-Sundstrom-etc.; Yotes still have a defensive nucleus of OEL-Yandle-Klesla-Michalek-Gormley-Stone-etc.

Worst case scenario for the Isles is if these guys struggle with growing pains in year one, they will most likely end up with a top-10 pick which can be used on a guy like Lindholm, Barkov, Monahan, Drouin, Shinkaruk, etc. to replace Nelson in the system.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Seph

Quote:
They'll need Gormley in a few years when Morris and Klesla move on. They got a couple of years left with their team before a generational shift starts and Doan, Morris, potentially Michalek and Sullivan either move on for greener pastures or, more likely in Doan's case, retire. If they're to trade away a top 4, potentially top 2 D asset then they sure as hell need something worth it to go back.
So, it's OK to value Gormley based on projected future contributions, but anyone else's prospects will only be judged based on what they've proven at the NHL level?

Yeah, no bias there.

Old
01-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Rutkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
So, it's OK to value Gormley based on projected future contributions, but anyone else's prospects will only be judged based on what they've proven at the NHL level?

Yeah, no bias there.
Are you missing the point on purpose?

The Islanders is not a contending team, the Coyotes are. The Coyotes need a 3rd line center now, not in three years(okay, they probably do that too but that is, to be frank, rather irrelevant right now) in order to fix the C depth issues they have.

Islanders, however, are not a contending team. They're a lottery team, especially without Visnovsky, and maybe they'll be able to get other teams to overpay at the trade deadline but I doubt they'll be able to do so before the season even starts.

Old
01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Sticking by my proposal from a week or so ago:

to NYI: Rundblad, D

to PHX: Nelson, C

Isles get their top-4(potentially top-2)RH PMD, Yotes get their 2nd line(possibly 1st line)big bodied, 2-way center.
Personally, I would consider this. Nelson to line up with Samuelson down the road would be a nice 1-2 punch. I would hate to trade Rundblad but I feel the same way about Gormley. However, we need some help on the front end.

As for Yandle, the guy never misses a game and in my mind that is another thing to seriously consider. I would not trade him unless it was for an over payment. And Gormley for JT was a joke I'm sure but down the road, may not be as funny.

zerekstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:

The Islanders is not a contending team, the Coyotes are. The Coyotes need a 3rd line center now, not in three years(okay, they probably do that too but that is, to be frank, rather irrelevant right now) in order to fix the C depth issues they have.

Islanders, however, are not a contending team. They're a lottery team, especially without Visnovsky, and maybe they'll be able to get other teams to overpay at the trade deadline but I doubt they'll be able to do so before the season even starts.
I disagree about needing a 3rd line center, I'm convince that is why the 'Yotes signed Moss, but they do need another forward, preferably RW. Just saying that the focus should be somewhat broader, and Moss can still slide over to RW if they do bring in a center. But I think the Coyotes are better served to bring in a RW (unless if they do trade for Zibanejad). I also believe that the team currently will make the playoffs and it may be in their best interest to hold on to all assets until a great deal presents itself.

Quote:
Lehner
He's playing tonight, see what happens.
Hopefully the Sens were just protecting their investment as a precautionary, needs to bulk up to play his game or just maybe protecting him to have that trade.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 50
Quote:

Islanders, however, are not a contending team. They're a lottery team, especially without Visnovsky, s.
Which is why Snow would not move his first rounder for a prospect.

And Nielsen just signed a team friendly, 4 yr extension. He's not likely being moved anytime soon.

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:19 AM
avsman

Strome for Gormley is the closest thing to fair from an outside fan's perspective

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Seph

Quote:

If the Coyotes are only interested in contending right now, then why do they care about what Gormley can contribute in a couple years? That they are concerned with what Gormley can contribute in a couple years, means that yes, they are interested in prospects. I'm not saying that's wrong, but their interest in Gormley (which is fair, I love his potential) illustrates that they are also interested in prospects, since afterall, he is a prospect.

You can't say your team is not interested in prospects because you're only interested in competing now, while also demanding overpayment for an unproven prospect. That's just typical homerism where all of your team's prospects are judged on their potential and everyone else's prospects are judged on what they've proven.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:55 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post

You can't say your team is not interested in prospects because you're only interested in competing now, while also demanding overpayment for an unproven prospect. That's just typical homerism where all of your team's prospects are judged on their potential and everyone else's prospects are judged on what they've proven.
There's such a thing as holding a few players close to the vest (thus a very high asking price) while still trying to acquire NHLers. I don't know if you've noticed, but Tippett is not exactly fond of rookies. In Coyotes parlance, it helps to be a known quantity before coming here. Maloney is very serious about keeping the talent pipeline rich and flooded, so I don't really see a scenario where Gormley or Murphy are traded. Rundblad could be traded, but only if it's determined he can't fit in on a defense first team. Michael Stone is just as good a player, and looked right at home when he was called up. He's likely to make the team over Schlemko, but that also makes him expendable if there's really a good forward out there.

Really, I could only ever see Stone, Summers or Goncharov being traded out of the Coyotes system. Maybe one of the 3 good goalie prospects not named Visentin.

The days of the Coyotes recklessly trading picks and prospects are over. Tippett can coach veteran heavy teams with cheap signings all day long and get respectable results. If you want to pry something away from Maloney, expect to pay.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
JT. Nothing less.
You honestly shouldn't be allowed to pay on here after this. Tavares? That's a joke.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
You honestly shouldn't be allowed to pay on here after this. Tavares? That's a joke.
Yes you're right, it was a joke.

Bazinga.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote