HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So now the seasons gone..rebuild anyone?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2005, 01:35 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
I am not up for a total rebuild. I would like to see the Leafs get a little younger and bring in some of our top prospects to mix with a younger skilled core of veterans.
It would be a bit of a drag for a few years if we went into full rebuild mode,but i just cant see the other options leading to a cup.Which for me is all that counts.Making the playoffs without a genuine chance at winning it all IMO only hurts our draft position which in turn hastens a cup win.

Old
03-02-2005, 01:44 AM
A.J. ¹

vCash: 500
Just a thought....

Ponikarovsky - Sundin - X
Tucker - Lindros - Steen
Stajan - Antropov - Nolan
Kilger - Wilm - Belak/Perrott

Kaberle - McCabe
Colaiacovo - Klee
Berg - Pilar

Belfour
Tellqvist/Aubin

Old
03-02-2005, 01:54 AM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
It would be a bit of a drag for a few years if we went into full rebuild mode,but i just cant see the other options leading to a cup.Which for me is all that counts.Making the playoffs without a genuine chance at winning it all IMO only hurts our draft position which in turn hastens a cup win.
Reguardless of the whole rebuild debate. Leafs management still owes it to the fans to keep a competitive team. I am willing to bet that the majority of fans don't want to see the Leafs with a payroll in the middle of the pack when we are the top revenue making team in the NHL. Yes play the kids that you have, but the kids need some stars to learn from. They need the proper mix of youth and veterans. There is no certain formula to winning the cup. So you can't just say lets build a team we know will lose so we have a chance to be good in the future if our scouts do a good job. Total rebuilds are for teams that are loosing money and can't afford to keep their star players so they need to trade them in order to get new stars that are cheaper. Most teams have no choice but to rebuild. The last thing I want to see is a 25 Million dollar payroll with the owners bringing in 120 Million in revenue. I would be very disapointed if the Leafs did not keep their payroll at the Cap maximum.

Old
03-06-2005, 04:24 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
Trade everyone over 30 for picks, except Sundin.

Kariya.Sundin.Lindros <-- UFA's will sign for less.
Antropov.Stajan.Tucker
Steen.Wellwood.Ponikarovsky
???.???.Kukumberg

McCabe.Kaberle
Colaiacovo.Pilar
???.Berg

Tellqvist.Aubin.
I would say fill that defenceman hole in with Leetch.

Old
03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
emillie

richardn: But doesn't Leafs managment owe it to Leaf fans to bring another cup to Toronto? And we've seen over the last 6 years here in Toronto, not even taking the rest of the NHL into account, that just bringing in more UFA's to get the team into the playoffs isn't the way to do that? Total rebuilds are not just for teams that can't afford their players. The Habs could afford star players but went for a total rebuilding. The capitals never had any money problems and they did a total rebuild. The Rangers will never have money problems and they are doing it now. Total rebuilds are for teams that lose their star players for whatever reason and see that replacing them with UFA's isn't the answer.

goleafsgo: Why not bring up Bell or White?

Old
03-06-2005, 07:02 PM
goleafsgo

Send a message via MSN to goleafsgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by emillie
goleafsgo: Why not bring up Bell or White?
I really haven't thought of that. It would be a good idea, to me, to bring in White instead of Leetch. Thanks.

Old
03-07-2005, 11:04 PM
darrylsittler27

A lot of teams will be rebuilding not just the leafs

Look at detroit,nyr,colorado,philly the list goes on and on.With a hard salary cap,which will now be dropped according to bettman,many teams will opt for young/cheap talent.Unlike some teams we will have a veteran core to buld around.Sundin,tucker,mcabe,kaberle,nolan plus stajan,phonkorvsky,antropov.It is highly unlikely nyr with its huge contracts will even be able to pay leetch that much.Leetch may be back but it wont be for anything like 6 million u.s.If that was the price the leafs would be better off spending the money on younger guys who may be playing in 2 to 3 years.In a year white may be ready after 1-2 years ahl play,if so we need to give guys like that a chance instead of holding on to a team that didnt do much.

Closed Thread