HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Sweden Hockey Tour (from a Brits Point Of View)

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2005, 03:50 AM
Jokerit Wasp

vCash: 500
Sweden Hockey Tour (from a Brits Point Of View)

Ive spent the last week, travelling across Sweden with my father, purely to watch Ice Hockey! We took in four games and heres my thoughts:

Djurgarden 2-1 HV 71
Thought this was quite a poor game, first period was particularly boring. However once Djurgarden took the lead, and then doubled it, things got a little more physical and the game stepped up for the last 30minutes or so.
The Globen Arena seems far too big for the team, there was a good crowd there (7,500) but in a 13,000 arena, it seemed empty and deathly quiet. The few Djurgarden Ultras behind the goal did a good job of keeping some noise level up!
I thought Dan Boyle was by far the best player on the ice, Nilson also looked pretty good! Stefan Liv didnt look anything special, he was unlucky to put the first goal into his own net! Theodore looked solid, but Olausson beat him with a bullet!
Overall Score 5/10

AIK Solna 6-1 Vasby
I was amazed when i walked into this rink, 7,000 seats and its about 10 metres from The Globen! Again, an excellent intro from the team, coming in through the castle! The game was really enjoyable, there were about 5,500 fans there, and the 'Black Army' behind the goal were possibly the best Ultras i saw during the trip, they never shut up, sang some good chants and at the right moments.
AIK found the match pretty easy and controlled it from start to finish. Particularly impressive i thought were Lars Hawerfors and Stefan Grahns. Georges Laraque looked out of place, his skating is nowhere near the standard of the AIK team, and im suprised the AIK fans take to him...
Overall Score 7/10

Linkopings 4-0 MODO
Yet another amazing arena, the brand new Coletta Centre was full from the moment we walked in. We were stood behind the goal, and the place was sold out (8,500). The Linkoping entrance was quite something, with the big Lion coming onto the ice. Crowd were very good, as all 8,500 good involved in chants and clapping, something which u dont often see from people other than the ultras.
The match itself was basically over after 15mins. Zajkowski started ahead of Salo, and he was certainly at fault for 2 of the first 3 goals. He should have been pulled at this point, but wasnt. After that it was all MODO (as the shots count shows) but Frederik Norrena was sensational in goal, and nobody could beat him. Linkoping scored a nice break away goal passed a nervous looking netminder.
Thought Naslund, Pihl, Morrison looked the best players, Dan Hinote made a fool of himself with that attempted fight and getting sent off. Sedin brothers were very hard working, but looked over rated to me.
Overall Score: 9/10

Frolunda 4-3 Mora
Great arena, 12,000 fans, excellent atmosphere. Frolunda started pretty slow, after Alfredsson missed a penalty shot on 33seconds, but they took the lead, i thought against the run of play. Mora deservedly equalised and had the most of the game after that. Henke Lunqvist was pretty poor for the 1st and 3rd Mora goals, and generally up to that point didnt seem to be able to get into the game, but at 3-2 Mora, he was a wall and nobody could beat him. Frolunda equalised on 57mins, and Mora needing a win, pulled the NM during OT while on the powerplay, giving themselves a 2mins 5 on 3 PP. It didnt work, and with 20 secs left on the PP Frolunda broke away and won. Felt sorry for Mora, they battled hard and played good hockey, and i thought, should have won. But Henke did his part in OT and denied them.
Best players: Alfredsson, Kahnberg, Howcoff, Leinonen
Overall Score: 8/10

All in all, i think Linkoping can win the play offs. Overall i was most impressed with them. However i realise Frolunda had already won the league, and didnt have too much to play for in the Mora game, where Mora had everything to go for. Lqunqvist and Norrena could be the difference between silver and gold.

I will put some photos online soon!

Old
02-28-2005, 08:19 AM
CPFC

Interesting stuff, looking forward to the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp

AIK Solna 6-1 Vasby
I was amazed when i walked into this rink, 7,000 seats and its about 10 metres from The Globen! Again, an excellent intro from the team, coming in through the castle! The game was really enjoyable, there were about 5,500 fans there, and the 'Black Army' behind the goal were possibly the best Ultras i saw during the trip, they never shut up, sang some good chants and at the right moments.

A crowd of 5,500 is pretty amazing for a III tier team.

Old
02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCZ
Interesting stuff, looking forward to the pics.

A crowd of 5,500 is pretty amazing for a III tier team.
AIK:s official site reported 2475 spectators, still a very good number. But they do have a big fanbase since they are one of the biggest clubs in Sweden.

Pics and stats here and here.

Old
02-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Jokerit Wasp,
Thanks for your report, I very much enjoyed reading it.

Old
02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Nice read. I appreciate it.

Closed Thread