Jokinen

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2003, 07:57 PM
OttMorrow

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Jokinen

Hi ya'll. I have to admit I've been sort of a lurker on this board for a long time. Just wondering if there is any update on the beginning of Jokinen's season. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects with the possibility of having a sniper prospect for the first time in a long time.

Old
09-22-2003, 02:00 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Jussi hasn't seem out of place yet as he has recorded 3 assists in 3 games but is still lacking goals but it will come soon enough...

Stats of Jokinen and his teammates in kärpät:
http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?o...arm=6&stats=70

Some videos from last season (I think it is last season)
http://members.surfeu.fi/kohm/

Old
09-23-2003, 04:16 PM
iamcaper

Send a message via ICQ to iamcaper
Any chance that the Stars will shuffle guys around next year to make room for him?

Old
09-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Dr GLU

Not likely.

I'd say the earliest he probably plays in NA is the 2005-06 season (assuming there is an NHL going then :p). They probably won't sign him after this year unless he can come out of nowhere and win the MVP award like Miettinen did last year. That's a real long shot. However, two more strong SM-Liiga seasons might be just enough to entice the Stars to bring him over.

Edit:Speaking of Jokinen, he had a goal and two assists in a 4-4 tie with SaiPa today, and he was named the second star of the game.

Old
09-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Starsdude

Assuming we play next season Glu who do think replaces Young. Would it be Miettinen? I assume that Tjarnqvist could perhaps have a shot at Dimaio's fourth line role next year. Do you see anyone else coming over next year?

Old
09-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Assuming we play next season Glu who do think replaces Young. Would it be Miettinen? I assume that Tjarnqvist could perhaps have a shot at Dimaio's fourth line role next year. Do you see anyone else coming over next year?
There's enough choices on the current roster, I think.

Barnes could replace Young easily, IMO. Miettinen could possibly move up. Morrow could move up. Though I would like to see Jokinen here, the only reason the Stars would do it is to get him in NA before the CBA expires in case prospect ownership rules change.

Old
09-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Starsdude

Do you see anyone else coming over next year? IF so, in what role?

Old
09-24-2003, 12:18 PM
jepjepjoo

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?o...group=7&parm=0

If you see on this list he's doing good...

Old
09-24-2003, 12:32 PM
iamcaper

Send a message via ICQ to iamcaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo
http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?o...group=7&parm=0

If you see on this list he's doing good...
Thanks jepjepjoo! I was hoping that something like this would be posted.

Old
09-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLUhipfan
Not likely.

I'd say the earliest he probably plays in NA is the 2005-06 season (assuming there is an NHL going then :p). They probably won't sign him after this year unless he can come out of nowhere and win the MVP award like Miettinen did last year.
Pff. How can you know this? 7 of the forwards on the current Dallas roster will be 33 years or older by the start of next season. At least a couple of them might start to decline heavily already this season.

And when looking at the younger players - how can you be so sure that Jussi Jokinen won't be as good or better than say Manny Malhotra, Steve Ott or Niko Kapanen in one year from now?

No, Jokinen won't win the MVP of the finnish league '03-'04, but he will probably end up among the top-10 in scoring, become a regular on the national team and be ranked among the top-50 top prospects in the world before this season ends. I can very well see him being signed by the Stars next season (as I can see Joel Lundqvist by the way).

Old
09-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime
Pff. How can you know this?
I don't. That's why I said probably. I'm going by the Stars history of bringing over Europeans. They didn't bring Kapanen over until he had a few good years. They didn't bring Miettinen over until he had two excellent years, and if they don't perform outstandingly, they usually don't come over until they've played several elite seasons (Kristoffersson, Tjärnqvist).

I have no doubt that Jokinen can outperform Malhotra, but Kapanen's already entrenched and Ott while not as offensively gifted has a role as an agitator.

Generally, the Stars are very conservative about signing their European prospects. There's no guarantee that sticks, but there probably won't even be a season next year so whether he's signed doesn't even matter.

Old
09-29-2003, 01:02 PM
jepjepjoo

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/tilasto.asp?o...group=7&parm=1

Here's the complete list of scorers

Closed Thread