HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Halak coming back this year??

Old
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
mtxed

vCash: 500

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:36 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
Don't know, but he'll probably come back at some point, but if Elliott or Allen takes the #1 job, then so be it.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I heard from a barfly today that he is done for the season

Take that any way you want...

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Bluesman91

I hope not

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
I heard it's not as bad as the last groin pull and he will be back before the playoffs. I'm not sure I would trust a goalie who hasn't played in weeks though. But who do you go with? All 3 have issues.

Halak = will be cold
Elliott = don't trust him
Allen = rookie

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Robb_K

I'd play Allen more right now than Elliott, and keep watch on how they both play. Then, if Allen has still been playing very well, I'd ride him until he falters. Groin problems have a tendecy to keep re-occurring. Halak was not playing all that well before he got hurt.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:47 AM
diehardbluesfan

I'd be surprised if he played another game this year including the playoffs (assuming we make it).

diehardbluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:05 AM
erderuft

IF Halak comes back this year, I just can't see him sitting out for long. The Blues are not going to have their no 1 goaltender (and highest paid player after Bouwmeester) sitting by the sides. Regardless who deserves to play. Just my two cents.

The goalie carousel has just been bizarre this season. Good that we finally seems to get some consistancy from our goalies.

erderuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

going to be pretty scary going into the playoffs with a rookie and Elliott...

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

Doubt it.

if he does he'll only be back for 1-2 games

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
mtxed

Is he DTD or IRed??

Old
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Harley83

Halak seems to conveniently have these long stretches of injuries during the regular season but somehow miraculously heals at the end of the regular season right before the playoffs, Hasek used to do the same thing. I am starting to wonder if he just doesn't want to play in St. Louis anymore. Ells or Allen may not have the amount of natural talent that Halak does but they definitely have more enthusiasm and heart after all Halak's constant absence is what has allowed us to see their talent. I don't ever see Halak playing a 60 game season let alone an 82.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
going to be pretty scary going into the playoffs with a rookie and Elliott...
Almost as scary as going in with a guy who has a big history of injuries and isn't even a proven starter yet, and Elliott.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:04 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 0
Even if he does come back, if one of the other guys is hot, I think Hitch will ride him. I would really like to see Allen get a chance to see what he can do. Realistically, we have a decent playoff team, not a Cup contending team. So if Allen is our goalie of the future, let him get the playoff experience now, so maybe next season if we are a legit contender, it wont be the guy with no playoff experience in net again.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
mtxed

Then why do they keep going back to Elliott, who outside of 3 good games, hasn't done jack **** all year???? Allen will never get his opportunity.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Almost as scary as going in with a guy who has a big history of injuries and isn't even a proven starter yet, and Elliott.
Rick DiPietro is under contract for the Islanders, not the Blues.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Then why do they keep going back to Elliott, who outside of 3 good games, hasn't done jack **** all year???? Allen will never get his opportunity.
Did you miss last season when he had the best save percentage in the whole league?

How can you construe what's happened as Allen not getting an opportunity? Dude just won in Chicago and Detroit, and you're still whining?

Allen is a bright story for the Blues this season. He may yet be called upon in the post-season. Why fault the coaches for trying to get both guys going, especially with Elliott showing signs of returning to form (you're not counting his AHL starts) over the past handful of games.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The way Elliott and Allen are on top of their games, I hope not, then I hope he's moved in the offseason so the Blues can save 4.5M.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley83 View Post
Halak seems to conveniently have these long stretches of injuries during the regular season but somehow miraculously heals at the end of the regular season right before the playoffs, Hasek used to do the same thing. I am starting to wonder if he just doesn't want to play in St. Louis anymore. Ells or Allen may not have the amount of natural talent that Halak does but they definitely have more enthusiasm and heart after all Halak's constant absence is what has allowed us to see their talent. I don't ever see Halak playing a 60 game season let alone an 82.
I don't buy it... Crazy speculation, and ignoring reality.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

I would say if he’s healthy they’ll play him, if we just look at how patient they were with Elliott tells us they don’t easily give up on their goaltenders. Many here thought he could have been just released but The Blues nursed his confidence in practice until he was ready for a couple rehab games and since then he’s played much better.

I believe for The Blues sake is they go into the playoffs with Halak as their #1, and if he were to get hurt again or not play well having Elliott and Allen as reserves will give them their best shot at a second round exit. Because I don’t see this as a team built to get by LA or Chicago unless they get a lot of help, that’s if they avoid both in the first round.

The one thing we can say for sure is this organization has had a lot of patience since they started building through the draft. Also they can’t really believe this is their year, but you have to like what they have done even in this year during all their problems they didn’t panic and they have added at least one more piece to the puzzle for next year.

I realize I added more than just the Halak question but I believe everything they have done shows us they’ll give him another chance if healthy, because he’s one of their main pieces, and he gives them the best chance at getting this team the experience they need in the playoffs.

I’m hoping for a healthy Halak.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Rick DiPietro is under contract for the Islanders, not the Blues.
Same player, different team.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The way Elliott and Allen are on top of their games, I hope not, then I hope he's moved in the offseason so the Blues can save 4.5M.

I hate trading somebody when their stock is low.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I hope not.

Sign UFA Mike Smith, then trade Halak over the Summer.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Alklha

Our goalie situation is a little awkward next season, and is further complicated by the Chicago Wolves situation.

Armstrong has said that he sees Halák as the starter on the team. I don't see him being moved unless we get an upgrade. Are we really willing to pay for Miller? I'd be surprised. You can argue that Mike Smith is an upgrade, but the contract he'll get in UFA will be far too much of a risk.

As long as Elliott doesn't fall apart again, then he will likely be back. He doesn't have much trade value, fills the role well enough and isn't hugely expensive.

Then we have Jake Allen. The problem with having him as back-up next season is that it would leave us with very little options in the AHL if we got injuries. I expect that the Chicago Wolves are going to sign Climie again, which means Binnington and any other depth we put in won't see much action. I think Jake Allen is the only one that would see significant starting time in the AHL.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Prov1X

Excuse my obvious bias, but isn't Jake a RFA at the end of the season, I highly doubt that his agent will want him to sign a two-way contract, as I am sure that he would rather play in the NHL rather than the AHL. And since he has played as well as he has, I am sure that he will be signing a better contract or an outside team will have some interest in him.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote