HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goal Scoring

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-16-2013, 08:50 PM
  #1
J Edward
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Goal Scoring

The Blues were lucky in those three 1-0 W's in a row. (I am pleased that Elliott has been playing consistently) At this point the Blues only have 5 goals in the last 5 games. What needs to happen in order to get things going again. We wont be able to win many playoff games with scoring 1 goal or less. Something needs to change.









Be nice

J Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
  #2
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 23,736
vCash: 130
We need to put the biscuit in the basket...

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
  #3
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We need to put the biscuit in the basket...
Yeah I mean we just have to get to the tougher areas of the ice and put shots on net.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:11 PM
  #4
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,319
vCash: 500
We could've had at least 3 tonight, but Schneider was great. They did a good job of getting to the tough areas and really hacking away in the crease, just couldn't seem to put one in. It's going to improve soon.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 04:41 AM
  #5
Big Papa Dapa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St.Peters, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
This is something that has plagued the Blues all season and last season. Finding a way to score. We can out shoot most any team no problem but out scoring is another thing.

Chris Stewart was on a tear for a while and he has gotten quiet.

Berglund also has been looking pretty good with goals but again he has been quiet lately.

The missing goals from Backes has been part of the problem.

Perron is not living up to his expectations this season. Sure we have seen flares but he is not being the goal scorer people had hoped. At least not this season.

Tarasenko made a big boom with his first few games but then he got hurt and has been quiet. Although I feel he has been under utilized with his talent. (call me a fanboy). I think he has more potential but isn't playing with the right people to make it happen.

Oshie isn't really a goal scorer like people had hoped but he is a great play maker and his absence adds to the lack of goals.

Mcdonald is just getting old. He is a solid player but I feel like he just doesn't fit the mix anymore.

Schwart is player that has great potential but is in the bottom 2 lines which I feel puts him in a similar boat as Tank.

Now I could be way off with everything I said but this is how I see it for the most part. We just don't have an All-Star scorer like we need. I feel if we could get a Toews, Stamkos, Crosby, Malkin, or someone of that caliber we would be set or maybe we have one and they just haven't emerged yet.

Big Papa Dapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:01 AM
  #6
Penguins23
Le Magnifique
 
Penguins23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Moncton,NewBrunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,160
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We need to put the biscuit in the basket...
You guys need to risk it to get the biscuit.

Put Jaskin on the first line.

__________________
.
Penguins23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:12 AM
  #7
trevorftw
Voice of Reason
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 475
vCash: 200
I feel like a few times a rebound has come to an open man with space and he's just ripped it like a one-timer rather than deking or looking for an opening. There are plenty of times where a quick shot is necessary, but if there's enough space to pick your shot, then they've got to take it. Seems like they want to make sure they get the SOG instead of risking it for the actual goal.

trevorftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:25 PM
  #8
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Goal Scoring? yeah, I'm all for it.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
  #9
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 939
vCash: 500
Stay cold and keep winning. Streaks follow streaks, and I would love to see the team get hot both in scoring and on their powerplay right during playoff time. Given how many games Elliott was horrible, he hopefully still has a playoffs worth of great games in his tank.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:06 PM
  #10
Brez50
Registered User
 
Brez50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
The past few games I've been able to see it appears that the Blues just don't move very fast to 1) Get to the puck and 2) Shoot the puck once it's passed to the open guy. I know sometimes they've got to get the puck to lay down, but it just seems when they get it to the guy who has the shot, he plays with it long enough for the defense to get back into position to block him.

Just my observations...

Brez50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
  #11
inglouriousbackes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bellevegas, Illinois
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
this dump and chase has got to quit. I see them cycling the puck along the boards over and over again and its like they are afraid of making a mistake. They need to carry the puck and stop dump and chasing.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:25 PM
  #12
Blues0307
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
We're just not skilled offensively like other teams are, but often times when we transition the puck from out of our zone up ice, guys are going off on a change. With Hitch having such quick shifts this year, it's frequent that we'll only have one or two guys in the offensive zone.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
  #13
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 500
We're more than talented enough to carry the puck into the zone, I don't want to hear that.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:45 PM
  #14
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
We're more than talented enough to carry the puck into the zone, I don't want to hear that.


The issue seems to be getting the puck off the wall and to the slot, rather than our entries.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  #15
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 9,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post


The issue seems to be getting the puck off the wall and to the slot, rather than our entries.
Oh, thought that's what the two posts above mine were discussing. If not, nevermind.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:03 AM
  #16
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,856
vCash: 500
It's not even dump and chase. It's chip and chase, Hitch trying to abuse the new interference rule but I guess he doesn't see our players aren't fast or strong enough to ever get by and ends up being endless board battles until we turnover the puck or shoot from the perimeter right at the goalie's chest.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:28 AM
  #17
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
It's not even dump and chase. It's chip and chase, Hitch trying to abuse the new interference rule but I guess he doesn't see our players aren't fast or strong enough to ever get by and ends up being endless board battles until we turnover the puck or shoot from the perimeter right at the goalie's chest.
Well, Hitchcock has been using chip and chase since he got here. The rule only changed this year.

And our players DO get by and get the puck sometimes. They just end up on the boards were they struggle to do anything but continue the cycle.

A big part of it is just the offensive system we run. Dump and chase, chip and chase, skate it in, it really doesn't matter how the Blues gain the offensive zone. Their plan, once there, is to get the puck low, cycle to the open defenseman out at the blueline, take the long distance shot (with potential tip), and then scramble to put the puck in the net after the formations break down (due to a shot block, or a rebound, or a puck tip). While not the only play the Blues run, it certainly seems to be their meat and potatos.

Frankly, my biggest issue with the Blues entries to the offensive zone is that the players keep making a move at the blueline putting someone offsides. Perron was the worst, be he has been much better lately. But it isn't just him. And its been pretty much all season.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:33 AM
  #18
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Well, Hitchcock has been using chip and chase since he got here. The rule only changed this year.

And our players DO get by and get the puck sometimes. They just end up on the boards were they struggle to do anything but continue the cycle.

A big part of it is just the offensive system we run. Dump and chase, chip and chase, skate it in, it really doesn't matter how the Blues gain the offensive zone. Their plan, once there, is to get the puck low, cycle to the open defenseman out at the blueline, take the long distance shot (with potential tip), and then scramble to put the puck in the net after the formations break down (due to a shot block, or a rebound, or a puck tip). While not the only play the Blues run, it certainly seems to be their meat and potatos.

Frankly, my biggest issue with the Blues entries to the offensive zone is that the players keep making a move at the blueline putting someone offsides. Perron was the worst, be he has been much better lately. But it isn't just him. And its been pretty much all season.
I have to agree, and it seems like we are one of the few teams that still does this kind of zone entry. A lot of teams like to resort to the drop pass at the blue line. It always just seems like teams know exactly how to defend against our offensive game. All the teams have to do is stick man to man and we can't do anything.

We never have those cross crease passes or those slick through the defender's legs passes. I would like to see us get creative in the offensive zone rather than doing the same **** over and over again.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:49 PM
  #19
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 10,184
vCash: 500
We looked good last year and we were just as inept at scoring goals. Tarasenko was supposed to be the answer but he really doesn't get enough ice time to shine.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
  #20
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 50
I wish the Blues would use the one-timer more often. I see guys open in the slot and instead looking pass, they throw the puck on net praying for a rebound or a deflection.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:05 PM
  #21
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
I think it's fair to say that once the blues start to score, they will be very dangerous considering they are beating solid teams without it.

Tarasenko really wasn't the answer this year, and if you thought he was going to be than you're silly. He is a rookie, heck not even yakupov or nuge or even stamkos had huge rookie seasons.next year though, he will be the answer.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #22
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,444
vCash: 500
I tend to agree our offensive issue is more or less due to Hitchcock's game plan. He needs to rethink it to help us increase scoring.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:53 PM
  #23
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,939
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I tend to agree our offensive issue is more or less due to Hitchcock's game plan. He needs to rethink it to help us increase scoring.

I doubt he rethinks anything after seeing what Frank did the other night. Hitch absolutely hates when somebody tries to be creative and it backfires into a goal against. He seems like a stubborn mule. I am starting to lose confidence in Hitch and his stone age hockey system. Don't get me wrong, I love a good defensive team, but you don't have to sacrifice creativity to be defensive minded. There can be a happy middle ground. You can be creative and still forecheck and backcheck.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:52 PM
  #24
underslept
"well-informed"
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Perimeter play and low percentage shots have plagued this team for awhile. I've been saying this all season.

We can get the shot totals through the roof, but can we challenge even below average back up goaltenders? Not really. Very few shots from the slot, even fewer with reliable traffic in front of the net, and the only thing rarer than those two rather standard offensive options is the one timer, which this team doesn't understand how to use. Even having an odd man rush is pointless because the players either slow up and wait for the opposing team to end the odd man rush or fail trying to force the pass.

It's not really a shocker the powerplay is atrocious, we lack the proper offensive zone strategies to score in general.

The goals are hard to come by because this team takes a lot of bad shots that are simple to stop and the play ends.

If an opposing team wants to stop the Blues, all they'd have to do is take away the boards. Nearly every attempt to enter the zone, that doesn't end up offsides or a dump in, occurs on the right boards. Put a guy on both boards and the Blues will rarely get in the zone. The middle of the ice is not available and the other teams have no problem letting us shot weak shots from the outside that we usually can't get to the rebound on. The goaltending has rebounded since February, the forwards have been inconsistent since January and unless they suddenly start scoring in bunches again, the post season is going to be frustrating.


Last edited by underslept: 04-18-2013 at 10:58 PM.
underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
  #25
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
Perimeter play and low percentage shots have plagued this team for awhile. I've been saying this all season.

We can get the shot totals through the roof, but can we challenge even below average back up goaltenders? Not really. Very few shots from the slot, even fewer with reliable traffic in front of the net, and the only thing rarer than those two rather standard offensive options is the one timer, which this team doesn't understand how to use. Even having an odd man rush is pointless because the players either slow up and wait for the opposing team to end the odd man rush or fail trying to force the pass.

It's not really a shocker the powerplay is atrocious, we lack the proper offensive zone strategies to score in general.

The goals are hard to come by because this team takes a lot of bad shots that are simple to stop and the play ends.
If an opposing team wants to stop the Blues, all they'd have to do is take away the boards. Nearly every attempt to enter the zone, that doesn't end up offsides or a dump in, occurs on the right boards. Put a guy on both boards and the Blues will rarely get in the zone. The middle of the ice is not available and the other teams have no problem letting us shot weak shots from the outside that we usually can't get to the rebound on. The goaltending has rebounded since February, the forwards have been inconsistent since January and unless they suddenly start scoring in bunches again, the post season is going to be frustrating.
I am not sure about the bad shots. It is more the system. The big issue is we try to shoot from the point with traffic to get the tips as Blueman Dan stated. Cycle low and get it up to the d. Issue is the pucks don't usually get through (too much congestion in the shooting lanes). And the despite the trafic the oposition teams are out manning us in the middle for any rebounds and do a good job of tying up sticks.

As for the PP. It was our best offensive asset. It was most effective when we had Oshie and Steen on the point for shots. With Pie and Shatty as distributors. Honestly, Hitch is more afraid to give up a short handed goal then score and that is why we are failing.

I am at a point where I think after next season, Hitch will need to go. Just going back to the last Detroit game - yeah we won, but it was truely painful to watch. I felt bad for Detroit fans.

Final thought. Hitch is way too concerned about line match ups. He will stop the forcheck to get the "right line" out there. This is why we get killed in the 2nd period and also why we can't get any momentum built at times when it looks like we should be able to.... . I wish he would trust his lines.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.