HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread - Part XVI: IU WINS OUTRIGHT BIG TEN TITLE

Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2013, 04:11 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
IU snuck past MSU. Hopefully Illinois can pull off a big upset of Michigan in a bit.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:21 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Hopefully Illinois can pull off a big upset of Michigan in a bit.
Nope.

Old
01-27-2013, 09:41 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Well, looks like it'll be #1 vs #3 Saturday night in Bloomington!

Old
01-28-2013, 10:18 AM
RayP

All-Inclusive rooftop packages for the first week or so of April. Used this company for a mothers day gift for a concert, and the unlimited food and booze make it worth the cost of admission alone, not to mention taking in a game as well.

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...rooftop-ticket

Old
01-28-2013, 06:40 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
All-Inclusive rooftop packages for the first week or so of April. Used this company for a mothers day gift for a concert, and the unlimited food and booze make it worth the cost of admission alone, not to mention taking in a game as well.

https://www.livingsocial.com/events/...rooftop-ticket
Turn 21 in September, otherwise I'd be all over this.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Cullksinikers

vCash: 500
I'm at the Bulls game. Tickets were beyond reasonable. Welcome back, Lu.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:51 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Turn 21 in September, otherwise I'd be all over this.
Past 2-3 seasons they've offered the same deal for the same price, so by the time you do, you should be able to snag one up. Just be prepared for a game earlier in the season, and during the week. I remember seeing them towards the end of the season as well once school started back up.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Some friends of mine and I were looking into doing one last year and could find similar deals on Saturdays in June & July. Ended up not having enough interested and just sat bleachers instead.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
clydesdale line

Umm... wow.
Quote:
According to the Miami New Times, Alex Rodriguez is among the players linked to an anti-aging clinic in Miami which distributed performance-enhancing drugs.
Big news. This clinic, run by Anthony Bosch, was reported over the weekend as being investigated by MLB and the Drug Enforcement Agency. The New Times were given patient records by an anonymous source and they suggest that Rodriguez was given HGH as recently as last year, sometimes under a nickname. Other current MLB players are listed in the report, including Melky Cabrera, Bartolo Colon, Yasmani Grandal, Gio Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz. Of course, Cabrera, Colon and Grandal have all been suspended for PEDs in the past year.
So first time guys like Gonzalez and Cruz are linked as well as past users like A-Rod, Colon, Grandal and Cabrera.

Guys on that list are no surprise, but being one of Gio's biggest fans (and having watched him pitch when he was in Birmingham, nice kid BTW) this is very disappointing news to hear, if true. I believe there's a couple of minor leaguers linked as well. Sucks that Cesar Carrillo was one of them as he actually lived right around me on the southeast side of Chicago back in the day and I saw him play in little league.

Old
01-29-2013, 08:41 AM
RayP

I was literally on my way here to post the same exact blurb from Rotoworld.... definitely had a good laugh reading this one. Link to the full article is below.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01...biggest-names/

Old
01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
clydesdale line

Quote:
I was literally on my way here to post the same exact blurb from Rotoworld.... definitely had a good laugh reading this one.
A-Rod getting caught twice is all kinds of LOLZ.

Old
01-29-2013, 09:00 AM
RayP

I really want to know what this nickname is that he used to get the HGH... Knowing him, I'm sure it's comedic gold.

Old
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
Umm... wow.

So first time guys like Gonzalez and Cruz are linked as well as past users like A-Rod, Colon, Grandal and Cabrera.

Guys on that list are no surprise, but being one of Gio's biggest fans (and having watched him pitch when he was in Birmingham, nice kid BTW) this is very disappointing news to hear, if true. I believe there's a couple of minor leaguers linked as well. Sucks that Cesar Carrillo was one of them as he actually lived right around me on the southeast side of Chicago back in the day and I saw him play in little league.
Met Cesar at MC baseball camp. Nice guy, but elbow problems shoot your career down the drains.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Illinihockey

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2013/index.jsp

16 - Baez
39 - Almora
42 - Soler

Old
01-30-2013, 09:59 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Baez so good he made it twice. I assume that was supposed to be Soler.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Baez so good he made it twice. I assume that was supposed to be Soler.
Yes. Edited

Old
01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

the Cubs have made some decent moves this year, and if their kids continue to develope I think this team will be at .500 or even slightly better this year. they will have better pitching overall this year which goes a long way to getting a team to .500. I havent said the Cubs would be .500 once in the past 3-4 years, but I can the ship heading in the right direction finally.

I am sure the haters are going to say they will suck again this year, which could definitely happen, I just see some holes being filled and youngsters maturing a bit out there. at least they should be entertaining to watch at times.

Old
01-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
the Cubs have made some decent moves this year, and if their kids continue to develope I think this team will be at .500 or even slightly better this year. they will have better pitching overall this year which goes a long way to getting a team to .500. I havent said the Cubs would be .500 once in the past 3-4 years, but I can the ship heading in the right direction finally.

I am sure the haters are going to say they will suck again this year, which could definitely happen, I just see some holes being filled and youngsters maturing a bit out there. at least they should be entertaining to watch at times.
Cubs ceiling is probably 75 games and thats if they don't trade a bunch of guys in July

Old
01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
RayP

"I don't know why he would want to go through the pain of rehabbing and trying to play up to the caliber of player he was..."

Oh, I don't know, maybe that $114M over 5 years perhaps?

Quote:
Alex Rodriguez is unlikely to ever wear the pinstripes again, sources familiar with the Yankees’ situation with their troubled third baseman told the Daily News, no matter what happens regarding new allegations that he is again involved with performance-enhancing drugs.
According to numerous baseball sources, the hip surgery Rodriguez is now recovering from will likely derail his playing career, leaving him in such a diminished role that he may consider a settlement or an outright retirement. He still has five years and $114 million left on his contract.
“I don’t know why he would want to go through the pain of rehabbing and trying to play up to the caliber of player he was, and come back to a game where nobody wants him,” said a baseball official.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2JZIhO69B

Old
01-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
"I don't know why he would want to go through the pain of rehabbing and trying to play up to the caliber of player he was..."

Oh, I don't know, maybe that $114M over 5 years perhaps?
Ya, no way he's giving up $114 mil

Old
01-31-2013, 09:48 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Cubs ceiling is probably 75 games and thats if they don't trade a bunch of guys in July
No way, this team could finish .500, and I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't win 70 games, even with trading a bunch of guys. IMO, floor= 70 W, ceiling= 84 W

Old
01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
No way, this team could finish .500, and I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't win 70 games, even with trading a bunch of guys. IMO, floor= 70 W, ceiling= 84 W
How are they going to score? They were 3rd worse in runs scored last year and didn't add anyone of note. Even if a few players take a modest step forward, they aren't going to score many runs. They had 0 players over a .830 OPS last year.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
How are they going to score? They were 3rd worse in runs scored last year and didn't add anyone of note. Even if a few players take a modest step forward, they aren't going to score many runs. They had 0 players over a .830 OPS last year.
RF platoon will be around .830 OPS, Sori should be around there, Rizzo should too, Castro below but close.

The offense will still be in the bottom 10, no doubt about it. The offense is a little better though. The pitching is pretty damn good though. The depth and lack of big contracts is going to allow the best players to play. They'll end up with an above average rotation and bullpen. As we know, that is enough to get you over 70 wins and possibly around .500.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
RF platoon will be around .830 OPS, Sori should be around there, Rizzo should too, Castro below but close.

The offense will still be in the bottom 10, no doubt about it. The offense is a little better though. The pitching is pretty damn good though. The depth and lack of big contracts is going to allow the best players to play. They'll end up with an above average rotation and bullpen. As we know, that is enough to get you over 70 wins and possibly around .500.
Our pitching was good for most of last year. Dempster, Garza, Malholm, Shark, Wood....pretty good. Not sure its going to be much better this year. The pen should be a bit better, but the starting pitching should be similar.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Our pitching was good for most of last year. Dempster, Garza, Malholm, Shark, Wood....pretty good. Not sure its going to be much better this year. The pen should be a bit better, but the starting pitching should be similar.
Garza being healthier will help and the depth allows us to trade two guys and still have 5 legit starters unlike last year where once we dealt guys away, they were replaced with career AAAers who just flat out sucked.

Closed Thread