HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Soccer
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

HUGE betting scandal in European soccer brewing.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:50 AM
MrAlfie

vCash: 500
HUGE betting scandal in European soccer brewing.

Interpol has confirmed that Champions League and World Cup Qualifying matches are involved.

As of right now 380 Matches between 2008 and 2011 are suspected to be involved in match fixing. At least 425 officials,former and current players as well as referees are involved. More than 150 of those live in Germany. Also involved is Spain and England.

I stopped following Soccer after and quit being an active player myself, I find it hard to follow and does not spark my interest whatsoever anymore but I cant help but to feel anger and pity as well as a little bit of glee seeing as the majority of this incident has taken place in Germany.
The reason for my glee is because many Germans said the most vile things about Italian soccer in general when their own scandal emerged and to this day many fans like to rub it into their faces as if something like this could NEVER happen in Germany.

More to follow as more details emerge.

Here is a link from BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

Also, taken out of the article:

"The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years""

It should be easy to narrow it down to a handful. No word whether it's a elimination round match or group match.

Okay, so did a little bit of research but it has to be known by listing the following games I am not making any accusations, I am simply listing the matches that ended in a draw between 2007 and 2011 played in England. As of right now I have only done group stages.

2007-08 Chelsea 1 - 1 Rosenborg

2007-08 Chelsea 0 - 0 Valencia

2008-09 Manchester 2 - 2 Aalborg

2008-09 Liverpool 1 - 1 Atletico

2009-10 Manchester 3 - 3 CSKA Moscow

2009-10 Chelsea 2 - 2 APOEL Nikosia

2010-11 Manchester 0 - 0 Glasgow Rangers

2010-11 Manchester 1 - 1 Valencia

---------------------

Here are more matches that fall into the criteria:

2007 -08 Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool Quarters 1st Leg
2007 -08 Liverpool 1 - 1 Chelsea Semis 1st Leg
2007 -08 Chelsea 1 - 1 Liverpool Semis 2nd Leg

2008 -09 Liverpool 0 - 0 Standard 3rd Q. Round 2nd Leg
2008 -09 Manchester 2 - 2 Porto Quarters 1st Leg
2008 -09 Chelsea 4 - 4 Liverpool Quarters 2nd Leg
2008 -09 Chelsea 1 - 1 Barcelona Semis 2nd Leg

2009 -10 Arsenal 2 - 2 Barcelona Quarters 1st Leg

2010 -11 Tottenham 0 - 0 AC Milan Quarters 2nd Leg
2010 -11 Chelsea 0 - 0 Copenhagen Quarters 2nd Leg

That's all I could find for now.

Last edited by MrAlfie: 02-04-2013 at 09:22 AM.
MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
The reason for my glee is because many Germans said the most vile things about Italian soccer in general when their own scandal emerged and to this day many fans like to rub it into their faces as if something like this could NEVER happen in Germany.
It's not like it hasn't happened several times in Germany before : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesliga_scandal

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Report just said that some where outside Europe though? I.e Argentina v Bolivia.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
It's not like it hasn't happened several times in Germany before : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundesliga_scandal
Well aware of it which made the hypocrisy towards the Italians even dumber.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Evilo

In the mean time, Real Sociedad president annouces that doping was rampant for years on his team.

Nothing new here, we all know that doping and match fixing are usual business in football, just like in other sports.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Report just said that some where outside Europe though? I.e Argentina v Bolivia.
It's a worldwide network they uncovered. World Cup Qualifiers can be anywhere, from some obscure match in Tuvalu to even USA vs Mexico or Brazil vs Argentina.

Right now anything is possible. And as you can see by the matches I listed above, there have to be some big names involved.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:32 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
In the mean time, Real Sociedad president annouces that doping was rampant for years on his team.

Nothing new here, we all know that doping and match fixing are usual business in football, just like in other sports.
Let's put it this way.

I've played soccer for more than 20 years and I played with and against some high profile players who ended up in big European teams.

I would meet them from year to year through the whole youth system. I was never offered anything and I can honestly say that my training regiment was on par with the regiment they implement in soccer academy's. I have seen it first hand that some of those kid's, and we are talking 14-15, physique changed dramatically. And I am not talking about growth spurts which are common during puberty.

It makes just too much sense to give the kids something to accelerate their growth and then once you hit the pros, most of the times there is no doping necessary because you already have the edge over all the other ones who tried it the "natural" way.

I don't think too many pros in the big Euro leagues use doping due to the testing, but I would not be surprised if it's common practice in any pro youth team.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post

Exactly. This is how society runs in EVERY way. It's in politics, business, religion, etc.

The question that should be asked now is who stands to gain from this?

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:22 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:

"The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years""

It should be easy to narrow it down to a handful. No word whether it's a elimination round match or group match.
When they say "tie" are you sure they don't mean match? You seem to think it's a tie as in draw. I think it might be tie as in a two-legged tie.....

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:29 AM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
When they say "tie" are you sure they don't mean match? You seem to think it's a tie as in draw. I think it might be tie as in a two-legged tie.....
*sigh*... if you are right I did all that research for nothing

Old
02-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Evilo

Quote:
I don't think too many pros in the big Euro leagues use doping due to the testing,
Well I'm close to a lot of future, current and former pro players.
I can't say the same thing as you do.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Could easily be a qualification tie as well.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:06 AM
MrAlfie

Some more information:

24 of the international matches are split up as followed:

Europa-League-Q.: 14
Champions League: 2
Champions-League-Q.: 2
U21-EC-Q.: 2
WC-Q.: 2
Europa League: 1
EC-Q.: 1

Old
02-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Chelsea vs Barca CL semi-final anyone?

I wonder if betting sites have bets up on which matches were affected

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
You'll always get idiots in society, and yes it has happened in Germany before, and only idiots would deny this. On the same level as what's happened to Italy in recent years? Tough to say without seeing what's happened in the latest one (if it involves German league matches, qualifiers, european matches etc). I'll be interested to see the severity of what has happened in Germany and the level of it.

1965: Illegal payments to attract better players due to strict economic conditions in Germany at the time, not match fixing. Hertha made big player payments which at the time being that amount of money was illegal, due to players not wanting to move to Berlin at this time (being in the middle of Eastern Germany).

1971: Player wide match fixing scandal yes. 6 or 7 teams punished, along with many players, including German internationals. By far the worst, closest to 2006 Italian situation.

2005: Corrupt referee accepting payments for mostly 3rd division matches, with a couple 2nd division and one Pokal game (13 games in total IIRC). 2 referees banned for life, a 3rd given a lesser ban as he didn't report an approach (which he rejected) by the two corrupt referees.

One thing is, something severe has to be done about matchfixing now, it's becoming far to common in football, and IMO punishments need to be more severe to try and send out a message. But you'll always have people who can't turn down the money.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:28 AM
XX
He's a good guy

Kinda disturbing the BBC article seems to focus on the match in England being fixed versus, you know... 679 other matches. Corruption at that level means it's something endemic to the sport. Not sure how you can sit there and cheer for a team now without the thought in the back your mind. Undermines the entire concept of sport.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

What is match fixing in football and who does pertain to (owners, refs, players, deeper than that)?

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Evilo

I cheered for Marseille in their 93 CL games.
But at half time of the OM-Moscow game where Moscow hadn't crossed midfield I told my family : we're witnessing here a good old bribery (I also think they bought the final against Milan).
A few weeks later, we learnt that they bought a french Division 1 game against Valenciennes.

Sure they also suffered from this, as Benfica surely bought the return leg against OM in 92 (with Vata's OBVIOUS handball goal). But two wrongs don't make a right.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
there were rumors that even the Nigeria vs. Greece match at the FIFA World Cup in 2010 was fixed. Also, Ghana goalkeeper Richard Kingson said he was offered money to throw a match at the 2006 World Cup

I would say match fixing is very prevelent in the lower leagues of many countries and in some even the top flight. I mean in Croatia about 2 years ago now they caught the director of officials taking bribes yet nothing positive came out of it, it still goes on probably.

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:20 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Happened in Finland recently and resulted in a team (Tampere United) being going out of business eventually

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13736085

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Mat.../1135264634983

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

Yeah, tie does not mean the same thing in English English as it does American English.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:29 PM
xerox
Hockey pimp

I really hope that nobody is surprised that this goes on in a major professional sport.

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

So corrupt... That's life though.

IHaveNoCreativity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The fixed Champions League tie in England was Liverpool-Debrecen I'm guessing. The Debrecen goalkeeper has already been banned by UEFA for fixing the Fiorentina tie that year.

And I remember the goalkeeper pushing a saved Torres shot straight to Kuyt's boot so he could score. That being said his fix did not work because Liverpool were bad that night, and the odds were such that I doubt anyone would have made money on simply betting Liverpool to win. It had to be something like the over, which a goalkeeper directly has in his control.

As for how it happens, that's simple. For example, a player makes a few thousand k per week (oftentimes much less). Fixer comes along and offers to double their salary for the month. In many cases these guys have no hopes of ever joining a big club, so they'll take a few bob and turn in a bad performance. How can they not? Ultimately money is what matters in life to most people. Referees are the same way as even really good ones don't make money that lasts forever. I can imagine it's very easy for a referee from a poor country to be approached at the WC and be coaxed into taking a bribe.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 02-04-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Apparently none of the German games are actually new (and I would assume quite a few on this last all over the world are old cases already dealt with), infact the people behind the fixing there have already been sentenced and jailed years ago

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote