HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: New local bidder for NBA Sacramento team, with arena plans

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2013, 03:40 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/20/512...#mi_rss=Sports

Sacramento mayor hoping history repeats 1994 veto of move of NBA Minnesota Timberwolves to New Orleans.

AEG has reiterated it's commitment to run new Sacramento arena. But NBA owners will vote whichever location will given them the most green.

Old
01-20-2013, 07:14 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Sacramento mayor hoping history repeats 1994 veto of move of NBA Minnesota Timberwolves to New Orleans.

AEG has reiterated it's commitment to run new Sacramento arena. But NBA owners will vote whichever location will given them the most green.
SacBee is missing out on Key Delails as to why NBA blocked timberwolves sale/relocation. NBA only blocks sales/relocation if there are money problems from the buyer. NBA blocked the sale due to issues with the financial plan.

Unless there is a better offer that beats Hansen's offer the NBA will not block Hansen's offer for the Kings. NBA can not force the Maloofs to sell locally. So its essentially what the maloofs want to do. Sac's only hope is that Maloofs Maloofed the deal and change their minds unless their local group seriously outbids Hansen.

Last edited by gstommylee: 01-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 07:28 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post

Relocation board won't veto this deal that NOLA deal had all sorts of questionable funds

Old
01-20-2013, 07:56 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
If Sacramento's bid is so much as one cent less than Seattle's, then I don't see the NBA vetoing a potential move to Seattle.

Old
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
If Sacramento's bid is so much as one cent less than Seattle's, then I don't see the NBA vetoing a potential move to Seattle.
It really depends on if by the time we hit the BOG meeting that the deal is done that the Kings are going to Seattle. NBA can't force the maloofs to sell locally though. If Maloofs don't want to sell locally i don't see anything the NBA can really do to prevent a Sale/reloc to Seattle's group.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:42 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Aaron Bruski‏@aaronbruski

BREAKING: Deal between Maloof family, Seattle's Chris Hansen for Sacramento Kings imminent. Story coming soon.

https://twitter.com/aaronbruski/stat...97686381887488

Old
01-20-2013, 10:28 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but I'm not holding my breath until the deal's officially announced. Like the situation with the Yotes, this has been "near finished" a number of times in the past.

Actually, scratch that.... I'm mildly surprised that they didn't want to wait until the end of the season. Sacramento's attendance is going to drop to Marlins levels if this actually happens.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Wouldn't be surprised if it was true, but I'm not holding my breath until the deal's officially announced. Like the situation with the Yotes, this has been "near finished" a number of times in the past.

Actually, scratch that.... I'm mildly surprised that they didn't want to wait until the end of the season. Sacramento's attendance is going to drop to Marlins levels if this actually happens.
Its subject to NBA approval

Old
01-20-2013, 10:48 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Its subject to NBA approval
A rubber stamp, in all likelihood.

And word's out, so the negative fan reaction would still be there.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:16 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Sacramento's bid doesn't have to equal the Seattle bid. The cost for the Seattle group is not all going to the Maloofs. There is a healthy chunk of the rumored 525 mil that is a relocation fee and moving expenses. Those aren't going to the Maloofs and those don't apply to a local group. And I wouldn't be so quick to write off Sacramento. Stern has given them a time frame in which they can put together a deal. If they do, they will be favored even over going back to Seattle.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Djp

The other issue is the Maloofs dont own 100% of the club. there is something like a 35% stake with other owners that they still would have to buy from.

This is not some sort of way to block the NHL. this needs to be a dual sport arena to help pay for itself.

you would have 82 dates + playoffs and likely have the womens team play in the summer plus a scattering of of Univ of Washington, Wash State and Gonzaga games. Another potential team is the indoor lacrosse team.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:09 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sacramento's bid doesn't have to equal the Seattle bid. The cost for the Seattle group is not all going to the Maloofs. There is a healthy chunk of the rumored 525 mil that is a relocation fee and moving expenses. Those aren't going to the Maloofs and those don't apply to a local group. And I wouldn't be so quick to write off Sacramento. Stern has given them a time frame in which they can put together a deal. If they do, they will be favored even over going back to Seattle.
ummm Relocation fee is a seprate cost and its not included on the sale price. relocation fee goes to NBA not maloofs.

I doubt the NBA will reject the sale to hansen. I hear its gonna be unanimous.

Old
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
ummm Relocation fee is a seprate cost and its not included on the sale price. relocation fee goes to NBA not maloofs.

I doubt the NBA will reject the sale to hansen. I hear its gonna be unanimous.
Cuban might be a nay vote, like last time. But yeah, very likely near unanimous.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:10 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good to see the NBA coming back to Seattle. I'm willing to bet the NHL watches this closely for their future expansion plans. If this team is succesful I can see a NHL team in Seattle within the next 5-7 years.

01-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

vCash: 514
Quote:
Cuban might be a nay vote, like last time. But yeah, very likely near unanimous.
Cuban only voted no last time becuase he considered OKC a marketing region area for the Mavs so didn't want to see it go.

He'll probably OK this one.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Oh, good point.... hadn't thought of that.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:05 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Paul Allen abstained as well, he owned the Seahawks, obviously would not be good for him to approve the relOcation

Old
01-21-2013, 12:56 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Closing thread -- continue in new thread discussing Seattle offer to NBA.

Last edited by LadyStanley: 01-21-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Closed Thread