HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Question about Kasparaitis hit on Lindros

Old
01-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Hot Water Bottle

vCash: 500
Question about Kasparaitis hit on Lindros

Me and my friends used to email each other this video, and I was always curious who the Pens players are on the bench between 1:09 - 1:16 who are congratulating Darius K with huge grins on their faces. Anyone recognize them? I'm not passing judgment on anything in the video, just curious.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Rob Scuderi

#95 is Morozov and #38 is Andreas Johansson. I figured 38 was Jan Hrdina watching quickly the first time, but seems to be one season early.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Hot Water Bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
#95 is Morozov and #38 is Andreas Johansson. I figured 38 was Jan Hrdina watching quickly the first time, but seems to be one season early.
Cool - thanks. I wasn't even sure what year that happened.

There's some gallows humor in that moment, though these days it might go against the image the NHL would prefer, LOL

Old
01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's Hrdina because his first season was 98-99. What year was the Kasparaitis hit by the way?

Edit, I totally missed you saying it was Johansson. My bad.

Last edited by davebenj: 01-13-2013 at 01:45 PM.
davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Theokritos

A Lithuanian destroys a Canadian NHL demigod and a Russian and a Swede congratulate him on the hit. Don Cherry's dream or nightmare?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Yeah, I don't think it's Hrdina because his first season was 98-99. What year was the Kasparaitis hit by the way?

Edit, I totally missed you saying it was Johansson. My bad.
This was after the Olympics in 1998. I think it was March of 1998. You know, it was Lindros' fault all along. He did this way too often with his head down. Gretzky was never that stupid if anyone is wondering why he rarely got hit. I'll say it to this day, it was a clean hit, and is a clean hit in 2013 too. Lindros is barrelling down the wing, what exactly do you want a defenseman to do with the Big E coming into the zone? You hit him, plain and simple. Lindros had played hockey for 20 years at this moment, he should have known better.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
A Lithuanian destroys a Canadian NHL demigod and a Russian and a Swede congratulate him on the hit. Don Cherry's dream or nightmare?
Don Cherry talked about it at the time, and the whole segment was about "you kids" keeping your heads up. He basically said it was all Lindros' fault.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Clean and some unnecessary gloating and smirking from the Penguins players. I can't recall what happened during the rest of this game or subsequent games, but if I was a Flyer I would have gone after the guys laughing because of that and not the hit. I cannot believe how long Lindros has his head down for. Its like he thinks he's playing PeeWee.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Clean and some unnecessary gloating and smirking from the Penguins players. I can't recall what happened during the rest of this game or subsequent games, but if I was a Flyer I would have gone after the guys laughing because of that and not the hit. I cannot believe how long Lindros has his head down for. Its like he thinks he's playing PeeWee.
Agree with everything you said 100 percent. Lindros should have kept his head up and it was a clean hit. For Morozov of all people to be laughing at that is kind of pathetic.

Old
01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This was after the Olympics in 1998. I think it was March of 1998.
Thank you

Old
01-14-2013, 07:27 PM
Hot Water Bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Agree with everything you said 100 percent. Lindros should have kept his head up and it was a clean hit. For Morozov of all people to be laughing at that is kind of pathetic.
Why Morozov in particular? (I'm not disputing you, just curious. I don't know much about him)

Old
01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Water Bottle View Post
Why Morozov in particular? (I'm not disputing you, just curious. I don't know much about him)
Only because he wasn't a great player and he also wasn't a tough guy. I can sort of see if someone like David Roche (although I don't think he was on the team at that point) had a good laugh about it but it just seemed odd that Morozov would. That said, I don't really think it should have been celebrated by any player no matter their reputation as Lindros was hurt. If he wasn't hurt and got right back up, I wouldn't really find anything wrong with the bench reaction at all but it just seems a bit distasteful to congratulate someone or laugh about it when someone got hurt,

Old
01-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Eisen

Quote:
That just tells you how hated Lindros was in the league. The guy dished out a fair share of questionable to downright malicious checks. No surprise to me tbh

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This was after the Olympics in 1998. I think it was March of 1998. You know, it was Lindros' fault all along. He did this way too often with his head down. Gretzky was never that stupid if anyone is wondering why he rarely got hit. I'll say it to this day, it was a clean hit, and is a clean hit in 2013 too. Lindros is barrelling down the wing, what exactly do you want a defenseman to do with the Big E coming into the zone? You hit him, plain and simple. Lindros had played hockey for 20 years at this moment, he should have known better.
He never, ever learned. in 2000 Scott Stevens nearly ended his career. Well some think he was never the same after that hit.
I had no issue with the hit by Kasparitis. But like many others, I took serious issue with members of the Pens taking great joy in seeing a player hurt.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:47 AM
tombombadil

Quote:
ya, that really is amazing. Literally a step past center to the blue line with his head down the entire time. And not like it's just his gaze down, but with his head advertising that it's down. That is just crazy.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Canadiens1958

Pick Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
ya, that really is amazing. Literally a step past center to the blue line with his head down the entire time. And not like it's just his gaze down, but with his head advertising that it's down. That is just crazy.
The Legion of Doom was known for setting picks at the blueline just like Leclair attempted in this particular situation. DK timed Lindros clearing the pick to perfection. - example of studying videos.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
This happened almost everytime Lindros got his. He was despised by opponents mostly because he did dirty cheap things like elbow people in the head and never took responsibillity for it but blamed it on that he was "protecting himself".

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:13 AM
RECsGuy*

Lindros: low hockey IQ

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:41 AM
McGuillicuddy

Clean hit. Head down like he was playing Atom. Lindros' kryptonite.

********* reaction on the part of Morozov/Johansson. Real quality human beings there.

Edit: Wow...'d*****b*g' is censored. Go figure.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
doug hamilton

Lindros - million dollar body and a 10 cent head.

doug hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

Clean hit.

HEADS UP BOYS!

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hamilton View Post
Reminds of the tin man's song..."if i only had a brain!"

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuillicuddy View Post
Clean hit. Head down like he was playing Atom. Lindros' kryptonite.

********* reaction on the part of Morozov/Johansson. Real quality human beings there.

Edit: Wow...'d*****b*g' is censored. Go figure.
Its the Flyers - Pens rivalry. Seen that **** many times but maybe not as blatant. Tbh I smiled when I saw Lindros down like that. It's called karma.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hamilton View Post
Geezus, are you guys ever being hard on him.... nice guy.... take the time he was out hunting with his brother Brett.... collapses.... comatose.... Eric dials 911 on his cell, tells the operator he thinks his brothers dead... operator tells him to check, make sure... silence.... gunshot.... "ok, now what"?.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
He never, ever learned. in 2000 Scott Stevens nearly ended his career. Well some think he was never the same after that hit.
I had no issue with the hit by Kasparitis. But like many others, I took serious issue with members of the Pens taking great joy in seeing a player hurt.
For all intents and purposes, Stevens ended his career. Lindros held out the entire next year and then Philly finally traded him to start the 2001-'02 season and while that year he was a point a game guy the truth is he was nowhere near the best player in the game anymore. He wasn't even in the conversation. He was a shadow of his former self at that time. And to top it off, that was the last decent season he had because then it REALLY went downhill after 2002. He just didn't strike fear into anyone like he once did.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote