HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 01:04 AM
miked1101

vCash: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Do you not think that Gillis likely would keep Luongo apprised of his situation?

Right now there is nothing to indicate that Luongo is not happy in Vancouver.
I don't know why you guys are arguing with Leaf fans who are trying to tell us what our goalies are worth, and the relationship between Luongo and management/the team.

I hope he doesn't end up in Toronto, I don't want anything they have for our team.

Old
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
He absolutely has -- in treating Luongo like cattle... up for auction to the highest bidder, no regard for how long it takes.

Generally, players and GMs try to treat each other with respect. Doing so makes you a more desirable person to deal with.

Stop dude im at work and everyones looking at me funny when I burst out laughing at your posts.

Funny thing is you just asked some other poster if they undertstood markets/business.

Quite clearly you dont.

Too good.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Because regardless of what happens in the market for goaltending, Luongo's role and desirability is going to be reduced by actions completely within Gillis' control.
Not necessarily. Luongo taking back the starting job like Tim Thomas did isn't out of the question. Either way it's hardly a bad position to have insurance on our goaltending, or even to just play whichever goalie is running hot at the time.

Quote:
Keeping Luongo for as long as possible (or more accurately, as long as his cap space can't be better used) is a fine idea. It just comes at a future cost, and isn't exactly a great way to treat a player.... basically telling him "we've put you through 7 months of trade hell, we now want you to go and perform for us in a backup role, and we'll trade you after this season's over".
Nothing Luongo, Schneider, or Gillis have said or done indicate him staying is a problem. I don't think you can assume there will be bad blood any more than I can say Nonis is next to be fired if he doesn't get Luongo.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
He absolutely has -- in treating Luongo like cattle... up for auction to the highest bidder, no regard for how long it takes.

Generally, players and GMs try to treat each other with respect. Doing so makes you a more desirable person to deal with.
What the?

Luongo would rather play for a different team than be a back up. He has consulted with Gillis and the determination has been made by both that it would be best to move him if it HELPS the team. In no way has Luongo been slighted here. You are just making stuff up now.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:06 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
I can fully see it, and as I've mentioned, I don't completely disagree with it. It comes at a future penalty, but the Canucks outlook is now.

However, based on what's transpired thus far, with Gillis doing nothing to rebut the trade rumours, it doesn't seem to be the likely scenario.
of course Gillis hasn't rebutted any rumours. He's always - since day 1 - said that he's a player's GM and wants to help his players be in situations they are comfortable in... he did this when he signed both Matt Schneider and Sturm as free agents and dealt them soon after when they weren't fitting in and wanted to go elsewhere. He's done this when he's traded players that didn't fit here to teams that could use them.

He's going to try and find Luongo a home. But he's also not going to hurt this team to make that happen. And given everything Luongo has said, he seems to understand that (and why he's constantly talked about having no problems returning here and waiting until there's a deal that makes sense for the team).

Gillis is actively trying to shop him... he's not however actively trying to dump him. The return needs to make sense to the team, where moving him helps our Cup goals. If it doesn't, both Gillis and Luongo understand that he may be back in Vancouver this coming year and the team will continue to build on what they have over the past couple years trying to win that Cup.

Gillis would be stupid to rebut any trade rumours at this point... trade rumours when you're trying to get the best return on an asset, will only help that asset's value around the league. If all he says that he's not trading him, you're not going to get as much interest around the league.. if he's talking to 10 teams about possible trades and he keeps those rumours public, you increase the likelihood of getting a more competitive return.

Old
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Because regardless of what happens in the market for goaltending, Luongo's role and desirability is going to be reduced by actions completely within Gillis' control.

Keeping Luongo for as long as possible (or more accurately, as long as his cap space can't be better used) is a fine idea. It just comes at a future cost, and isn't exactly a great way to treat a player.... basically telling him "we've put you through 7 months of trade hell, we now want you to go and perform for us in a backup role, and we'll trade you after this season's over".
So, in your opinion, the Canucks must accept the Leafs low ball offer because otherwise it's treating Luongo poorly... correct? No other teams will offer more, and if the Canucks want to hold onto Luongo, well that's not being reasonable? They simply must give him to the Leafs for players that are basically redundant or meaningless to the Canucks?

This is what you would do if you were in Mike Gillis's shoes? Your action plan as it were, for making a successful trade?

Old
Strangelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Please tell me my friend just in what way am I wrong about his contract.....did the new CBA make is disappear?
It's a great contract for an elite goaltender.

Do some research my friend.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:08 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
What the?

Luongo would rather play for a different team than be a back up. He has consulted with Gillis and the determination has been made by both that it would be best to move him if it HELPS the team. In no way has Luongo been slighted here. You are just making stuff up now.
If he plays as a back up......then the tune will change and in a hurry. If he is the starter then all will be good. The longer he is there the better the likleyhood he grabs the starters role and then what?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
If Lou is not getting the net in the majority of the games while still in Vancouver....do not expect him to be cooperative when it comes to trading him....he hold all the cards!

He stay's he plays or his value will go way down.....trading a player who you do not want with the player holding the trump card can get very interesting.

Luongo as the constant professional turned malcontent.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:09 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Not necessarily. Luongo taking back the starting job like Tim Thomas did isn't out of the question. Either way it's hardly a bad position to have insurance on our goaltending, or even to just play whichever goalie is running hot at the time.

Nothing Luongo, Schneider, or Gillis have said or done indicate him staying is a problem. I don't think you can assume there will be bad blood any more than I can say Nonis is next to be fired if he doesn't get Luongo.
Certainly a possibility, but based on public knowledge, also certainly not Gillis' intention.

If staying isn't a problem, then all would be best served by Gillis coming out in the media and declaring that he's going to spend $9.3m on his goaltenders for the next 4 years. I'm not saying they'll be bad blood, as it usually takes 2 people, and Luongo's been a complete professional, or total pushover, in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
So, in your opinion, the Canucks must accept the Leafs low ball offer because otherwise it's treating Luongo poorly... correct? No other teams will offer more, and if the Canucks want to hold onto Luongo, well that's not being reasonable? They simply must give him to the Leafs for players that are basically redundant or meaningless to the Canucks?

This is what you would do if you were in Mike Gillis's shoes? Your action plan as it were, for making a successful trade?
I'm saying the Canucks should make a decision, one way or another. If the Canucks want to hold onto Luongo, do it, tell him & the media he's the guy, and stop putting him & his family through constant public trade rumours and uncertainty as to where he will spend the rest of his career.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Luongo as the constant professional turned malcontent.
Hockey players want to play ....they dislike picking slivers out of their rear end.......makes them grumpy!

Old
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

seanlinden, do you think Gillis should accept a lowball offer for his star goalie because it's morally right?

The "Brian Burke influence" on Toronto fans is incredibly apparent.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Quote:
If he plays as a back up......then the tune will change and in a hurry. If he is the starter then all will be good. The longer he is there the better the likleyhood he grabs the starters role and then what?
Do you really feel this is a big problem for the Canucks? I mean, they can fit both guys on the roster, and they're clearly confident in moving forward with Schneider ... but if Luongo ends up getting more games because Vigneault chooses to go that way, this is somehow bad for the Canucks future?

Please help me to understand ...

Old
01-13-2013, 01:12 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Hockey players want to play ....they dislike picking slivers out of their rear end.......makes them grumpy!
But we are not yet, as far as we know, at a point where Luongo is demanding to be moved. He has come to camp and said he is comfortable with the situation in Vancouver. Schneider has said the same.

Toronto can keep their 3rd liners and projects.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:13 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Certainly a possibility, but based on public knowledge, also certainly not Gillis' intention.

If staying isn't a problem, then all would be best served by Gillis coming out in the media and declaring that he's going to spend $9.3m on his goaltenders for the next 4 years. I'm not saying they'll be bad blood, as it usually takes 2 people, and Luongo's been a complete professional, or total pushover, in this situation.
Gillis has said he has no problem keeping both Luongo and Schneider on the team numerous times.

Quote:
"I've said all along we've got two very good goaltenders, we are very happy with both of them and we'll have to wait and see what comes our way now that you can begin discussing things with teams," Gillis said.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/V...520/story.html

Old
01-13-2013, 01:13 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
seanlinden, do you think Gillis should accept a lowball offer for his star goalie because it's morally right?

The "Brian Burke influence" on Toronto fans is incredibly apparent.
I think after 7 months, Gillis has to have found the fair market value for Luongo... so no, I don't think he should accept a lowball. I think he should accept the best available offer, or declare that he's not going to move Luongo.

Quote:
Gillis has said he has no problem keeping both Luongo and Schneider on the team numerous times.
Yet didn't say he wouldn't trade Luongo, usually what a GM does for a player who gets into trade rumours that have no merit.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
It's a great contract for an elite goaltender.

Do some research my friend.
LOL.....it is a horrible contract....due to its length....11 more years with a cap hit of 5 million.....for a player who is 33 years old.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
True, but you are proposing a complete shift in attitude. Unrealistic to say the least.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:16 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
True, but you are proposing a complete shift in attitude. Unrealistic to say the least.
Very realistic.....he has always been the number 1 goalie....easy to be the consume professional in that role, if he is in a backup role.....he will not be a happy camper. Nor would anyone with his competitive nature.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Wizeman*

i dont think there will be a luongo trade anytime soon.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Strangelove

Quote:
LOL.....it is a horrible contract....due to its length....11 more years with a cap hit of 5 million.....for a player who is 33 years old.
Well you LOLed so you must be right my friend.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Yet didn't say he wouldn't trade Luongo, usually what a GM does for a player who gets into trade rumours that have no merit.
Probably because there is enough interest to make it worthwhile to trade him. Plus Gillis rarely talks in absolutes. He's not like Burke "Schenn is not being shopped..."

Old
01-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Very realistic.....he has always been the number 1 goalie....easy to be the consume professional in that role, if he is in a backup role.....he will not be a happy camper. Nor would anyone with his competitive nature.

Not happy does not equate to turning into a malcontent Heatley. This is not within this person's personality. Sorry.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:21 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Probably because there is enough interest to make it worthwhile to trade him. Plus Gillis rarely talks in absolutes. He's not like Burke "Schenn is not being shopped..."
So if there's enough interest to trade him, do it already.

Gillis may not like to talk in absolutes like Burke, but it's the only reasonable thing to do when a guy has been subjected to as much crap as Luongo has.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Quote:

I'm saying the Canucks should make a decision, one way or another. If the Canucks want to hold onto Luongo, do it, tell him & the media he's the guy, and stop putting him & his family through constant public trade rumours and uncertainty as to where he will spend the rest of his career.

Ok then. seanlinden in charge of the Canucks would trade Luongo tomorrow for whatever was on the table, even though it won't help his team and in fact will make it worse, to accommodate a demand that hasn't been made by Luongo.

Correct? That's how you would run the organization?

Closed Thread