HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
So if there's enough interest to trade him, do it already.

Gillis may not like to talk in absolutes like Burke, but it's the only reasonable thing to do when a guy has been subjected to as much crap as Luongo has.
HF poster =\= GM of the Canucks.

Maybe send GMMG and email with your request.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:23 AM
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Not happy does not equate to turning into a malcontent Heatley. This is not within this person's personality. Sorry.
If he is not happy because he is not playing.....do not expect him to sit his rear end on the bench and smile. He will demand a trade.....I say he gets dealt and soon. If it is the Leafs, I sure hope we do not over pay.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:24 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Ok then. seanlinden in charge of the Canucks would trade Luongo tomorrow for whatever was on the table, even though it won't help his team and in fact will make it worse, to accommodate a demand that hasn't been made by Luongo.

Correct? That's how you would run the organization?
No, if the Canucks can't benefit from a Luongo deal, then you come out in the media and say that Roberto Luongo isn't being traded, telling him the same thing of course. You don't necessarily have to trade him, what you do have to provide (as a individual showing respect for another) is some sort of certainty.

If he had demanded a trade, then yes, I'd trade him for whatever I can get.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:25 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
No, if the Canucks can't benefit from a Luongo deal, then you come out in the media and say that Roberto Luongo isn't being traded, telling him the same thing of course.
And if another team, say one with a new GM, ups their offer after that press conference?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:26 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
LOL.....it is a horrible contract....due to its length....11 more years with a cap hit of 5 million.....for a player who is 33 years old.
It's 10 more years. The last 4 years of his contract it drops off substantially and will be very attractive to a floor team that wants a high cap hit for low $$. It provides a low cap hit for an elite goalie to a cap team over the next 6 years and provides a comparably high cap hit in the latter stages of the deal to a floor team.

It's not a horrible contract.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
If he is not happy because he is not playing.....do not expect him to sit his rear end on the bench and smile. He will demand a trade.....I say he gets dealt and soon. If it is the Leafs, I sure hope we do not over pay.
And if he does *demand* a trade it will likely accompany him open up the teams hes willing to be traded to.

Its pretty straight forward.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
And if another team, say one with a new GM, ups their offer after that press conference?
Too late.

Old
DanCloutiers5hole

Quote:

Gillis may not like to talk in absolutes like Burke, but it's the only reasonable thing to do when a guy has been subjected to as much crap as Luongo has.
Dude im sorry but your logic is so flawed its ridiculous. This is a business, Gillis and Luo both know this and have treated it as such. Gillis will move Luo when a deal makes sense for the team and for Luo, any less would be a disservice to the team and us as fans. Just stop it man

Old
01-13-2013, 01:28 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
You'd be lucky to acquire him. Period.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
The CBA was barely ratified 2 hours ago, be patient.

Gillis might still be trying to drive up the price though, with the news about the amnesty buyouts perhaps bringing Philly into the picture. Not to mention there;s a pretty big gap between Gillis original asking price and one that most Canucks fans feel would make us a better team.

Quote:
What crap has he he been subjected too? At least outwardly, he seems to be enjoying it. I'm sure Gillis and Luongo have talked about how he feels moving forward, and none of us have any idea as to how Luongo's feelings about being subjected to trade rumours.

Old
diceman934
Help is on the way.

Quote:
No, if the Canucks can't benefit from a Luongo deal, then you come out in the media and say that Roberto Luongo isn't being traded, telling him the same thing of course.
Getting his salary off the books benefit's the Canuck's.....they are in a world of hurt come next year even without his cap hit.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:29 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
No, if the Canucks can't benefit from a Luongo deal, then you come out in the media and say that Roberto Luongo isn't being traded, telling him the same thing of course. You don't necessarily have to trade him, what you do have to provide (as a individual showing respect for another) is some sort of certainty.

If he had demanded a trade, then yes, I'd trade him for whatever I can get.
And in doing so you close future inquiry and/or speculation that may increase his value. Contrary to your perception, Luongo posting good numbers will not have some arbitrary reduction on his value. Rask temporarily dethroned Thomas, yet the latter had a huge resurgence and had he not created a media nightmare, might command a fairly decent return. Meanwhile, Rask is still quite valuable, despite having played as a backup.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
So, following that line of reasoning ... what happens if a month down the road, after they've said they won't trade Luongo, the Panthers decide they really do want Luongo and are willing to meet Gillis's earlier trade offer?

Does this mean the Canucks can never trade Luongo regardless of anything because they've told him they won't trade him? Even if it's something that Luongo would want? I mean, obviously we can only go by what Luongo is saying ... but you've already indicated that what Luongo has said publicly isn't true. How do we know what's true then?

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCloutiers5hole View Post
Dude im sorry but your logic is so flawed its ridiculous. This is a business, Gillis and Luo both know this and have treated it as such. Gillis will move Luo when a deal makes sense for the team and for Luo, any less would be a disservice to the team and us as fans. Just stop it man
Of course it's a business, but these guys are also human beings, with families. Part of being in this business means dealing with that fact, and accommodating it as best as possible. Gillis has done nothing of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The CBA was barely ratified 2 hours ago, be patient.

Gillis might still be trying to drive up the price though, with the news about the amnesty buyouts perhaps bringing Philly into the picture. Not to mention there;s a pretty big gap between Gillis original asking price and one that most Canucks fans feel would make us a better team.

What crap has he he been subjected too? At least outwardly, he seems to be enjoying it. I'm sure Gillis and Luongo have talked about how he feels moving forward, and none of us have any idea as to how Luongo's feelings about being subjected to trade rumours.
Yeah, and he was still told to (or not told not to) show up in Vancouver for camp, despite the fact that teams have been communicating with players for days.

What crap has he been subjected to? How does 7 months of constantly hearing your name about being traded sound? How about 7 months of having no idea where you could spend the next 10 years of your career.

Old
Leafs For Life*

I see him going to TBL. Like really, they got a contenders lineup with a bad group of goalies. Lu could provide the same to Lindback as Schneider. Imo Malone for Lu.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

No one is expecting him to smile. I do expect him to be a professional though, which he has been. You're reaching here.

He has not _demanded_ anything. In fact, his comment about leaving it to Gillis to do what's best for the team leaves the field more open than initially thought possible. He's done things to make Gillis's position stronger, not weaker. And he's smart enough to understand that throwing a hissy fit would weaken it, not help it.

It's actually in Luongo's best interests to _remain_ professional.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:31 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Getting his salary off the books benefit's the Canuck's.....they are in a world of hurt come next year even without his cap hit.
No they aren't. They can drop Ballard and Luongo and be fine. I'd rather see them risk it this year with Luongo and waive him if there are no takers next year than trade him for Leaf trash.

Kadri and Bozek is a garbage return in my opinion.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Of course it's a business, but these guys are also human beings, with families. Part of being in this business means dealing with that fact, and accommodating it as best as possible. Gillis has done nothing of the sort.
He is doing what is best for the Canucks, hence his job description. Your scenario is comparable to a businessman putting an employee before his business. That is a wonderful way to lose said business.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:32 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I see him going to TBL. Like really, they got a contenders lineup with a bad group of goalies. Lu could provide the same to Lindback as Schneider. Imo Malone for Lu.
Malone would be a contract dump. I would be disappointed with that return.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
quat
winsome, loathsome

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
So, may we also include you in the group of people that feel it's in the CAnucks best interest to trade Luongo for a low ball offer because next year it might be a problem for them?

That having two excellent goalies who get along extremely well splitting a very condensed half season is no benefit to the team? If you were the GM of the Canucks, this would be what you would do?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
So, following that line of reasoning ... what happens if a month down the road, after they've said they won't trade Luongo, the Panthers decide they really do want Luongo and are willing to meet Gillis's earlier trade offer?

Does this mean the Canucks can never trade Luongo regardless of anything because they've told him they won't trade him? Even if it's something that Luongo would want? I mean, obviously we can only go by what Luongo is saying ... but you've already indicated that what Luongo has said publicly isn't true. How do we know what's true then?
As I mentioned above, too late. When you make a commitment to a player, you don't change your mind a month later.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
As I mentioned above, too late. When you make a commitment to a player, you don't change your mind a month later.
No team should put its players above the organization.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:37 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
He is doing what is best for the Canucks, hence his job description. Your scenario is comparable to a businessman putting an employee before his business. That is a wonderful way to lose said business.
Yeah... let's put this in a business context... where employees tend to move between work locations of a company.... do you think it's at all reasonable to come an understanding that you're going to be transferred, and 7 months later, still not know when or where?

Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

Quote:
Luongo's wife and kids live in Florida.

The morally right thing to do on all counts is deal Luongo to the Panthers tomorrow.

Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
No team should put its players above the organization.
It's players are the organization.

Closed Thread