HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2013, 06:52 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
QUOTE=JackJ;57548623]Again, Burkes attitude was the main reason for the decision. If results were a factor the entire management group would have been dissolved, not extended.[/QUOTE]

4 years of no playoffs was the main reason he was dumped.
Nonis as part of the previous management group will likely be on a fairly short leash.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The same seems to go both ways. Many Canuck fans take Gillis at his word and still are sure Burke was fired for not going after Luongo despite the team and media denying that.
I'm willing to take both GMs at their words. Nonis will only upgrade in net if it doesn't mean sacrificing the future.

Gillis has had interest from several teams, none have expressed concerns over his contract, but he hasn't found a deal he really likes yet.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
The NTC only makes a difference if Luongo uses it. No one knows where Luongo will/won't waive to.

Florida is likely a given. Edmonton was his favourite team growing up. Philly is a cup contender. When asked if he would waive to play in Chicago/Toronto, he said he'd like to play anywhere with a passionante fanbase.

Listen dude, there is no way Lu would accept a trade to EDM.

1.) He is the captain of his own ship and will choose to live wherever he wants (no disrespect to EDM but I think the majority of people would prefer to live somewhere with a better climate)
2.) EDM will be contenders by the time Lu is on the decline.
3.) He prefers FLA but logic would assume that he'd also prefer somewhere closer to "home" in order to reduce travel time when visiting family.
4.) Holmgren has stated they have no interested in Lu.

You're living in fantasy land. Lu WILL and probably HAS BEEN using his NTC.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
4 years of no playoffs was the main reason he was dumped.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:57 PM
rune74

I keep saying I think Nonis is only there until they find who they want. He's burkes lapdog and I don't think they like that(owners). How a lot of their fans think they are in great shape right now is baffling.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Nonis as part of the previous management group will likely be on a fairly short leash.
Right, that's why they extended his contract.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:59 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Well, at least they didn't use the tired old excuse that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Instead, two days before training camp they decided they didn't like the way he wears his ties. Sounds plausible. 4 years of no playoffs had nothing to do with it.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Listen dude, there is no way Lu would accept a trade to EDM.

1.) He is the captain of his own ship and will choose to live wherever he wants (no disrespect to EDM but I think the majority of people would prefer to live somewhere with a better climate)
2.) EDM will be contenders by the time Lu is on the decline.
3.) He prefers FLA but logic would assume that he'd also prefer somewhere closer to "home" in order to reduce travel time when visiting family.
4.) Holmgren has stated they have no interested in Lu.

You're living in fantasy land. Lu WILL and probably HAS BEEN using his NTC.
1) Knocking off Edmonton just because it's cold is stupid. Especially because he grew up cheering for them.
2) They're a lot closer to contending than Toronto is. Luongo likely has 5ish years of solid play, which is more than enough time for a couple of solid cup runs.
3) Edmonton is closer than Vancouver to Florida.
4) Anything Holmgren says cannot be taken at face value.(moreso than any other GM)

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Right, that's why they extended his contract.
Hmmm. Just like they extended Ron Wilson's last year. Wher is he by the way?

Old
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
I keep saying I think Nonis is only there until they find who they want. He's burkes lapdog and I don't think they like that(owners). How a lot of their fans think they are in great shape right now is baffling.
They just gave him a 3 year extension...

Old
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
I could have sworn that Burke just got fired last week in part for failing to get results. And you're now trying to tell me that the de facto GM for the last 3 or 4 years is under no pressure to succeed.
Sorry, but I'm not buying that. We heard the same line about Burke all summer and look where he is. Nonis is on a short leash.

Well I don't know where you get your "facts" from but its pretty much known amongst everyone that Burke clashed with the new ownership group, and the new ownership group wanted him out.

Check any sports periodical and dig past the puff pieces about losing. You will find the real reason he was canned.

If it was about winning and losing Nonis would have been fired as well, its no secret that Nonis is a Burke protege, although meeker.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:01 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Well, at least they didn't use the tired old excuse that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Instead, two days before training camp they decided they didn't like the way he wears his ties. Sounds plausible. 4 years of no playoffs had nothing to do with it.
...and yet not once they mentioned results as being the reason.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Hank4Hart

Remember how after the Blackhawks won the cup, everyone were throwing lowball offers around on HF because they were up against the cap and they were backed into a corner? Remember what ended up happening? Heck, they got good value for Brent Sopel!

As long as the talent is there, GMs pay up. Luongo, despite what people claim, is still a great goalie.

If you look at Luongo's statistics against playoff teams the last two years, compare that with Cory Schneider's statistics against playoff teams, you will notice they are petty much exactly the same. Just because Schneider's stats got so heavily inflated by playing against crappy teams doesn't mean he is the better goalie. Luongo has been every bit as good as Schneider except he was playing 25 to 30 more games against playoff teams each season! Yet, somehow everyone thinks Luongo is this terrible goalie but Schneider is the next Patrick Roy or something. Blows my mind.

Can't wait till my fellow Canuck fans pull their hair out when Schneider gives up a short side goal every other game he plays in.

Quote me on this. Luongo, if traded, will have a better year statistically (from a save% standpoint) than Schneider will in 2012-2013. I ll put my HF account on the line.

Old
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
I'm willing to take both GMs at their words. Nonis will only upgrade in net if it doesn't mean sacrificing the future.

Gillis has had interest from several teams, none have expressed concerns over his contract, but he hasn't found a deal he really likes yet.
The devil's in the details.

Sure, no one called up Gillis and says, "Listen, broski, that contract is total ass and I'm pretty upset about it. So with that said I'm officially lodging a concern with you about it."

But it affects the value perceived by those GMs. In Gillis' mind it's a non-issue, or he has done some mental gymnastics to convince himself it's actually a (lol) good contract. That is why we haven't seen any substantial leaks about offers or any interest besides Florida and the media-driven Toronto rumours. Because while Gillis believes the contract is awesome and the bees knees, other GMs who are inquiring about Luongo are immediately turned off from his demands because they have factored in his contract and they have determined it to be a significantly negative part of the package enough to stall and stagnate all negotiations between them. The mere fact no one has caved into Gillis' demands should be proof enough that his contract sucks. But there's a sucker born every minute so who knows.

It will be Gillis who will need to realize that his contract is an albatross.

Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Do some reading before these comments, you will do yourself a favour.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
He's apparently been running the club for the last few years. He has to be on a short leash too. Leaf's ownership has shown that they are not afraid to eat contracts if they're not happy with the progress.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:03 PM
RECsGuy*

Any chance the mods would consider requiring all posts in the Trade board's Luongo thread to be news only, with accompanying links, and assigning opinion posts to the individual team's boards? There's too much stuff here to scan through.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Sure, no one called up Gillis and says, "Listen, broski, that contract is total ass and I'm pretty upset about it. So with that said I'm officially lodging a concern with you about it."

But it affects the value perceived by those GMs. In Gillis' mind it's a non-issue, or he has done some mental gymnastics to convince himself it's actually a (lol) good contract. That is why we haven't seen any substantial leaks about offers or any interest besides Florida and the media-driven Toronto rumours. Because while Gillis believes the contract is awesome and the bees knees, other GMs who are inquiring about Luongo are immediately turned off from his demands because they have factored in his contract and they have determined it to be a significantly negative part of the package enough to stall and stagnate all negotiations between them.

One thing is for sure he will always have our winning neighbor teams fans telling us how to win.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:04 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Awesome View Post
Do some reading before these comments, you will do yourself a favour.
Those were Burke's comments. Do some reading yourself.
Every single Leaf fan said Burke had one more year and could afford to be patient. Guess what? You were wrong. The NHL is a results oriented league and Nonis needs to show results.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:05 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Hmmm. Just like they extended Ron Wilson's last year. Wher is he by the way?
For another season, not a multi year contract. HUGE difference.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:06 PM
smackdaddy
All Aboard

Quote:
One thing is for sure he will always have our winning neighbor teams fans telling us how to win.
That's because we know how to win.

Old
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

But it affects the value perceived by those GMs. In Gillis' mind it's a non-issue, or he has done some mental gymnastics to convince himself it's actually a (lol) good contract. That is why we haven't seen any substantial leaks about offers or any interest besides Florida and the media-driven Toronto rumours. Because while Gillis believes the contract is awesome and the bees knees, other GMs who are inquiring about Luongo are immediately turned off from his demands because they have factored in his contract and they have determined it to be a significantly negative part of the package enough to stall and stagnate all negotiations between them. The mere fact no one has caved into Gillis' demands should be proof enough that his contract sucks. But there's a sucker born every minute so who knows.

Unless of course, it's not, you know, an albatross contract, and GMs can appreciate that they are getting a goaltender worth north of 6 million for just a 5.3 mil cap hit.

Old
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
1) Knocking off Edmonton just because it's cold is stupid. Especially because he grew up cheering for them.
2) They're a lot closer to contending than Toronto is. Luongo likely has 5ish years of solid play, which is more than enough time for a couple of solid cup runs.
3) Edmonton is closer than Vancouver to Florida.
4) Anything Holmgren says cannot be taken at face value.(moreso than any other GM)

Let me guess.. you think Lu would also net VAN Yakupov, Hall, Eberle or RNH right?

There are many, many players in the league who grew up as Leafs' fans and 100% of the time they turn down TOR for greener pastures. The fact that Lu grew up an Oilers fan means squat.

Holmgren & Nonis cannot be taken at face value but Gillis can be? Makes no sense.

Old
rune74

Quote:
For another season, not a multi year contract. HUGE difference.
Wasn't he signed as an assistant GM? so he technically wouldn't be making the same he would as a GM I would assume.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
Let me guess.. you think Lu would also net VAN Yakupov, Hall, Eberle or RNH right?

There are many, many players in the league who grew up as Leafs' fans and 100% of the time they turn down TOR for greener pastures. The fact that Lu grew up an Oilers fan means squat.

Holmgren & Nonis cannot be taken at face value but Gillis can be? Makes no sense.
In any Edmonton deal I'd expect it to be based around Hemsky+.

Yeah, and there are plenty of players that don't take climate as a big factor in where they choose to play.

I did say Nonis can be taken at face value though. Holmgren however has quite a reputation of lying about trade negotiations.

Closed Thread