HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 WBS Penguins Thread | Streak snapped, Syracuse ties conference finals at 1-1

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
To me Dumoulin is a very average prospect. He does everything fairly well, but nothing great. Typical jack of all trades, master of none, player. He can skate, he can pass, little bit of a physicality, good hockey sense.

While Morrow, and I agree with you he is not near ready, in terms of his overall game, but his bread and butter is going to be the PP. He has a great shot, great passing ability and great hockey sense. He is weak in his own zone. A bit weak in the physical department. He has a lot of room to grow. But his offensive upside, imo, is top shelf. Especially the PP. I don't see Dumoulin ever being on our PP. Dumoulin is more trust worthy at the moment, but I don't think he is Lidstrom either in that department. But I don't see Morrow being a liability on the PP in terms of giving up short handed chances.
I agree about Morrow, but I disagree about Dumoulin.

I think he definitely has top 4 potential as strong defensive defenseman with puck moving ability.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Typical Pens prospect development for you.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
To me Dumoulin is a very average prospect. He does everything fairly well, but nothing great. Typical jack of all trades, master of none, player. He can skate, he can pass, little bit of a physicality, good hockey sense.

While Morrow, and I agree with you he is not near ready, in terms of his overall game, but his bread and butter is going to be the PP. He has a great shot, great passing ability and great hockey sense. He is weak in his own zone. A bit weak in the physical department. He has a lot of room to grow. But his offensive upside, imo, is top shelf. Especially the PP. I don't see Dumoulin ever being on our PP. Dumoulin is more trust worthy at the moment, but I don't think he is Lidstrom either in that department. But I don't see Morrow being a liability on the PP in terms of giving up short handed chances.
I actually like Dumoulin a good bit and think he's better than average. But I will say another thing to consider with him is familiarity with the system (BC played a system modeled on the Pens, I guess). That's an advantage he has right now over Morrow. It isn't a huge deal (going from NCAA to playing against pro players night to night is a much bigger deal than any system, IMO) but it's there.

You are certainly right that Morrow is the more dynamic of the two. It's why I'm surprised his season has gone the way it has. And that he hasn't been given a chance to at least gain confidence by playing in a situation we know he can excel at.

Is WB/S's powerplay really good, or something? Maybe they don't want to tinker with success.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Any line Farnham is on automatically becomes a strong forechecking/cycling line.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I actually like Dumoulin a good bit and think he's better than average. But I will say another thing to consider with him is familiarity with the system (BC played a system modeled on the Pens, I guess). That's an advantage he has right now over Morrow. It isn't a huge deal (going from NCAA to playing against pro players night to night is a much bigger deal than any system, IMO) but it's there.

You are certainly right that Morrow is the more dynamic of the two. It's why I'm surprised his season has gone the way it has. And that he hasn't been given a chance to at least gain confidence by playing in a situation we know he can excel at.

Is WB/S's powerplay really good, or something? Maybe they don't want to tinker with success.
Interesting. Could be a factor, I dunno.

And I am actually glad to see Dumoulin get great icetime. Love to see the rookies get lots of ice, in all situations. I just want to see Morrow with the same. At least on the PP.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:31 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Any line Farnham is on automatically becomes a strong forechecking/cycling line.
OK. You officially have me intrigued about this player.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Jacob

Morrow should be on the power play more, no doubt. It's bad for his development and bad for his trade value. GMs will see his mediocre stats and won't care about the whole "rebuilding his defensive game" spiel.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
OK. You officially have me intrigued about this player.
Farnham is a big time pest. He's physical and tenacious, but unlike most AHL pests, he's also a terrific skater. He's got some smarts too, because he uses his speed to find holes and steal pucks to create chances.

He's on an AHL contract, and I hope he gets an NHL deal.

Speak of the devil, he draws a penalty on Darren Kramer, who's been trying to get at him since warm ups.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

2-1 Pens, Trevor Smtih.

Farnham draws a penalty, Pens make them pay.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:41 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Farnham is a big time pest. He's physical and tenacious, but unlike most AHL pests, he's also a terrific skater. He's got some smarts too, because he uses his speed to find holes and steal pucks to create chances.

He's on an AHL contract, and I hope he gets an NHL deal.

Speak of the devil, he draws a penalty on Darren Kramer, who's been trying to get at him since warm ups.
Yeah, I dunno if he ever will make it to the NHL, but he is sure fun to watch in the A. Definitely a guy you want to have on your side.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:43 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
2-1 Pens, Trevor Smtih.

Farnham draws a penalty, Pens make them pay.
Gotta love seeing that.

It's something lacking on the Pens roster, right now. I would love seeing an in-house solution.

I mean... not that the Pittsburgh powerplay, hypothetically, would actually make the opposing team pay for anything.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:44 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Haha......"Hossa-fell".

Old
02-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Gotta love seeing that.

It's something lacking on the Pens roster, right now. I would love seeing an in-house solution.

I mean... not that the Pittsburgh powerplay, hypothetically, would actually make the opposing team pay for anything.
I think he has a decent shot at being an NHLer because of his skating.

I hope he does, he's so much fun to watch. Some shifts he's like a one man cycle.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Gotta love seeing that.

If you only heard what people said about the Pens PP, you'd never guess that they were 5th in the league last year and 2nd this year, haha.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Haha......"Hossa-fell".
I liked how the second time he said Holzapfel's name he chuckled a little, likely because he knew he was butchering his name.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
I liked how the second time he said Holzapfel's name he chuckled a little, likely because he knew he was butchering his name.
You think as an arena announcer you would know how to pronounce these guys names. You only play them, what 4, 5, times at home??

Old
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Awful non call on Sill getting tripped.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:52 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
If you only heard what people said about the Pens PP, you'd never guess that they were 5th in the league last year and 2nd this year, haha.
Yeah, I know. I say that knowing full well where they sit on a chart.

But I also say that having to watch said powerplay every night and knowing that having two generational talents and a guy that is seemingly automatic if you get him the puck around the slot tends to push averages up just a smidge.

It's sorta like... I know Malkin has a bunch of points this year. But I still think he's largely played like crap.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:59 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Well, BlindWilly, Tom Grace just answered your prayers for an Errey saying "ho-mo" esque slip.

He just said Darren Kramer was "Japping" at Farnham all night.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I say that knowing full well where they sit on a chart.

But I also say that having to watch said powerplay every night and knowing that having two generational talents and a guy that is seemingly automatic if you get him the puck around the slot tends to push averages up just a smidge.

It's sorta like... I know Malkin has a bunch of points this year. But I still think he's largely played like crap.
Yeah, it ain't the prettiest PP around, but it's still better than 28 other teams. Ah well, back to the Baby Pens.

I'm interested to see how quickly Dumoulin progresses and pushes for a spot on the big club, especially with two young guys in Despres and Bort ahead of him on the depth chart.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Trevor Smith, 3-1 Pens.

Nice pass by Kolarik.

A "backdoor Benny" according to Grace.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Malkinstheman

Does anybody think a line of farhnam-vitale-sill is possible? Holy **** that would be fun to watch

Old
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Trevor Smith, 3-1 Pens.

Nice pass by Kolarik.

A "backdoor Benny" according to Grace.
Yeah, he loves using that one.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Does anybody think a line of farhnam-vitale-sill is possible? Holy **** that would be fun to watch
WBS rolled out a Farnham-Uher-Sill line in the first period tonight, it was pretty ridiculous.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Holy ****.

Gorgeous short handed goal by Gibbons.

Closed Thread