HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Pateryn - First Call-up from Dogs?

Old
03-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Greg Pateryn - First Call-up from Dogs?

Anybody who watches the Dogs want to venture an opinion on which defenseman will be the first call-up?

Tinordi and Beaulieu get all the press and St-Denis has already proven himself to be a steady, reliable alternative. But for some reason, my money is on Greg Pateryn.

St. Denis is more experienced than the others but he also suffers from a lack of size, critical on a defensive corps which is already small. Almost 23 years-old, Pateryn is older and more mature than the kids, Tinordi and Beaulieu. He is big, strong and mobile.

He shoots right, an asset. Even if the need on the big club is for a left-side D, Pateryn call be inserted on the right-side and Emelin moved over to his natural, arguably more effective, side.

With Yannick Weber a fixture in the press box, the Habs have no immediate need for a call-up. But an injury or trade can change the picture overnight and forgotten Greg Pateryn may be asked to prove his worth sooner than anybody anticipated.

Comments?

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Pateryn has played well the last few games and is definitely a nice prospect. If we weren't near the top of our division, you may be right.

However, since we are battling for 1st in the conference, I do think it would be St-Denis since he can probably step in and "cost the least damage." He's a smart, reliable defenseman who will make the easy play. He proved he could handle NHL minutes last year - Pateryn hasn't at this point.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
I think it would depend on what type of D is needed.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I think it would depend on what type of D is needed.
I think in most cases, St-Denis gets the call, unless we lose Emelin (or maybe Bouillon), I think Tinordi might get it since he fills that role better. St-Denis fills the role best for all the others.

Beaulieu only fills the roles of Kaberle and Weber at this point.

Old
03-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Sam I Am

The question for those who actually see the Bulldogs play is: At this point, who is the more polished player? Tinordi or Pateryn?

Lineage or draft position are irrelevancies at the moment. Who is more able to jump in now is what I want to know?

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:03 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Pateryn is playing great right now while St-Denis just returned to action this weekend after being out the past few weeks. If Pateryn keeps this up he will get a look in the NHL at some point as he's getting it done at both ends of the ice and can do a lot.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Pateryn is playing great right now while St-Denis just returned to action this weekend after being out the past few weeks. If Pateryn keeps this up he will get a look in the NHL at some point as he's getting it done at both ends of the ice and can do a lot.
Maybe he can be the saving grace of the Grabovski trade?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Habtchum*

He might become a good replacement for Weber. Bigger, stronger and a right hand shot on top of that.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:19 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I think in most cases, St-Denis gets the call, unless we lose Emelin (or maybe Bouillon), I think Tinordi might get it since he fills that role better. St-Denis fills the role best for all the others.

He'd have to clear waivers, though, wouldn't he? Normally I wouldn't be afraid, but we lost freakin' palushaj to waivers this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if some team poaches freddy too.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:20 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He'd have to clear waivers, though, wouldn't he? Normally I wouldn't be afraid, but we lost freakin' palushaj to waivers this year, so I wouldn't be surprised if some team poaches freddy too.
He cleared already, I believe. No team wanted him.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:23 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
He cleared already, I believe. No team wanted him.
Sure, but that was at the beginning of the season when most players were healthy, right? Bigger danger now, I would think.

Ottawa is icing a D that has Andre freaking Benoit in their top 4, I wouldn't bet against them putting together a Hamilton alumni pairing if they really needed to

Old
03-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Et le But

Wouldn't surprise me. Don't forget, Pateryn is nearly two years older than Tinordi, he's closer in age to Subban actually.

And besides that I've been impressed by him, he seems to be decent to good at everything.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Maybe he can be the saving grace of the Grabovski trade?
I'd like to see him get quicker but the interesting part about his development is that he's shown solid improvement each year. After he was drafted he was supposed to go back to the USHL and then hit the NCAA at 19 (which would have meant he could have used the loop hole to become a UFA after his 3rd year at Michigan) but the team he was set to go back to folded so Michigan brought him on a year early instead.

While he wasn't a regular until his Junior year, he showed improvement year over year and then last year as a Senior everything really came together for him while paired with Mac Bennett. He was very impressive last at times last year especially in his own end and physically as he can dish out some big time hits, but this year in the short amount of games he's played for the Dogs he's looking even better as his offensive game has really clicked and he seems to have a lot of confidence with it now. At Michigan I thought he showed some flashes of offense but in his 4 years he has a total of 6 goals yet in 21 AHL games he already has 4 goals and 2 of them were highlight reel types.

So if he continues to improve, as he'll turn 23 in a couple months, he could be someone that gets some NHL action next year when injuries hit over the long season. Should be a lot of fun to see how he would do as he has NHL size and knows how to use it, has a cannon of a shot, plays smart in his own end, can play in all situations. In the past I thought his skating and foot speed might hold him back but it doesn't appear to be as he is the current top defensemen on the team, he's been that good and at both ends of the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
He might become a good replacement for Weber. Bigger, stronger and a right hand shot on top of that.
He's got a cannon of a shot and I think fans will like him as he can throw some big hits but plays a smart game as he picks his spots well.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
He already cleared IIRC.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:55 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Yeah, he would, I think since he's been in the AHL for more than 30 days now. But at this point, it doesn't matter. He's a UFA next year so if we run into injury problems and he's not the first to get the call, he'll probably leave anyway. There are some NHL teams that he could probably play on at this point (*cough* Isles *cough*).

Old
03-03-2013, 11:57 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Yeah, he would, I think since he's been in the AHL for more than 30 days now. But at this point, it doesn't matter. He's a UFA next year so if we run into injury problems and he's not the first to get the call, he'll probably leave anyway. There are some NHL teams that he could probably play on at this point (*cough* Isles *cough*).
Man, I hope not. I don't see very much NHL potential in the guy like you do, but I love him in that mentor role in hamilton.

That team needs vets not named stortini.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Why would he leave (or why would the Habs not re-sign him ?) The guy has not played yet ONE pro season. He was injured for more than 50% of the Dogs' season so far.

With Kaberle, Weber, Bouillon (?) gone next year, there is place for a guy like him on the roster.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Man, I hope not. I don't see very much NHL potential in the guy like you do, but I love him in that mentor role in hamilton.

That team needs vets not named stortini.
It's not like I think he's the kind of guy who will score 30 points in the NHL. But he's such a smart player that I have a hard time believing he couldn't play 15-18 minutes of safe hockey a night. If he was in Bouillon's role, I don't think much would change except we'd be less physical but have a better first pass. And our PP might look a bit better. I still hate that Frankie is on it.

Similar to our 4th line now. They aren't going to score, but they rarely hurt us. They do their job of filling minutes while the top guys rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Why would he leave (or why would the Habs not re-sign him ?) The guy has not played yet ONE pro season. He was injured for more than 50% of the Dogs' season so far.

With Kaberle, Weber, Bouillon (?) gone next year, there is place for a guy like him on the roster.
I agree there might be room for him as a #7 next year, but we'll see. Weber might not leave. He's young, controllable, and we still have no idea what he offers over the long-run. No one is going to overpay for him, so i don't really see a situation where we don't keep him unless we can get a 5th rounder or better for him.

I'm not saying the Habs wouldn't be interested in signing him again, but that was meant if we suffered 2 injuries tomorrow, and Pateryn or Tinordi got the call over him. I don't think he'd be too happy. If he has a chance at the NHL, he'll take it. Hell, Ottawa might even have a spot for him and it's close to him. I mean, they are using Andre Benoit.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Sure, but that was at the beginning of the season when most players were healthy, right? Bigger danger now, I would think.

Ottawa is icing a D that has Andre freaking Benoit in their top 4, I wouldn't bet against them putting together a Hamilton alumni pairing if they really needed to
No they aren't. Do you watch their games? Benoit was a healthy scratch yesterday.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
No they aren't. Do you watch their games? Benoit was a healthy scratch yesterday.
Not in the last little while, no. Sorry, I was remembering the lineup I saw on RDS when we last played them.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:44 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Still he's the Sens D with the 5th highest time on ice. I'll give you that 15:58 isn't anything to write home about, but last game against the Habs he played 18 minutes.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:50 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Still he's the Sens D with the 5th highest time on ice. I'll give you that 15:58 isn't anything to write home about, but last game against the Habs he played 18 minutes.
Aye, thanks. I knew I wasn't imagining that.

Old
03-03-2013, 01:44 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Nathan , Jared , and Morgan aren't ready

greg as a 6th guy cant step in right now

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Tyson

Pateryn is 6'2 220, RH who skates well and plays a defensive game. He played four full seasons at Michigan. He has NHL future written all over him. He should play in Montreal at some point next year.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:02 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

proabably st denis. but i'm anxious to see beaulieu and tinordi ready. surely not alone.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote