HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leblanc's struggles in Hamilton

Old
01-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Nobody but the entire coaching staff who are actually THERE to know what's going on. I'd also like to see him play, yet, something has to be wrong.
Maybe something is wrong with the coaching staff, maybe Leblanc ALSO has an attitude problem (wouldn't surprise me I think he needs character). Just because it's only speculation doesn't mean it's completely false.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Lucky Luke

Everybody in the Q knew that Leblanc was overrated just as everybody in the Q knew that Giroux was a gem, except Trevor Timmins.
Don't you think the Habs would be better today with Chris Kreider and Claude Giroux in the organization rather than have drafted Leblanc and David Fischer?

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It could just be the simplest explanation:

Lefebvre was a grinder in his career, so he's biased towards that kind of player. That's why Dumont, Chaput, Blunden, etc are getting a lot of ice time, but not players perceived as talent players such as Leblanc, Holland, Avtsin, etc.

It may sound absurd, but we are fans and we have seen first hand that there are many coaches who operate in this manner.
But Blunden in the AHL is actually a top 6 player. Every grinder in the NHL or almost has made the top 6 in the AHL. Chaput a grinder? Chaput is everything but a grinder. He works hard....but is more a cerebral player than anything. A player who still has to prove that he belongs in the AHL which is what they're testing. Dumont, would also deserve a top 6 role in the AHL. The guy did score 50 goals in the Q. He's not skill free. And you know what? The guy that comes close to a grinder is actually....Leblanc. He has some skills yet was always perceived as a fine 3rd liner in the league. Where was Leblanc at his best at the WJC he played in? Along the boards, protecting the puck. That's not what I should remember from a terribly skilled guy. But he did have his share of points making him also not skills free.

Beaulieu does have his share of icetime despite not bringing it every single time. And in Beaulieu's case it was often the case, he is perceived as the guy who believes in talent a little too much. He's now learning to bring it every single game so that his work ethic matches his talent.

I just refuse to believe that Bergevin, Dudley, Carrière and Co totally believes in a Pee-Wee C coach in Lefebvre. If he ends up being, or if they are learning something new about his persona, I would expect them to fire him on the spot.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:33 AM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Jeremy Filosa...

enough said.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Everybody in the Q knew that Leblanc was overrated just as everybody in the Q knew that Giroux was a gem, except Trevor Timmins.
Don't you think the Habs would be better today with Chris Kreider and Claude Giroux in the organization rather than have drafted Leblanc and David Fischer?
You realize that Leblanc wasn't drafted out of the Q but went there as an overager, right?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Maybe something is wrong with the coaching staff, maybe Leblanc ALSO has an attitude problem (wouldn't surprise me I think he needs character). Just because it's only speculation doesn't mean it's completely false.
Which is not what I said on a previous post. I said that the truth has to lies in the middle of all this. Lefebvre might not have the greatest tact, yet Leblanc might not be that cute little shy kid who has nothing to do with that. And if something is really wrong with the coaching staff, I'm expecting a change in the near future, at worst in the summer. I do not believe in Bergevin and Co as total idiots.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

No thanks Jeff.

Flyers board----------------->

Old
01-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Lucky Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You realize that Leblanc wasn't drafted out of the Q but went there as an overager, right?
Yes, I do.
What I am saying is that everybody affiliated to drafting in the Q knew Leblanc was overrated, except Farrel Miller who knew nothing about hockey in the first place and acquired Leblanc in a trade to attract fans.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Yes, I do.
What I am saying is that everybody affiliated to drafting in the Q knew Leblanc was overrated, except Farrel Miller who knew nothing about hockey in the first place and acquired Leblanc in a trade to attract fans.
Many on this board, myself included feel that the fact the draft was in Montreal that season and the crowd was chanting Leblanc's name put unnecessary pressure on the club to select him. As for 2006, it goes without saying. Aside from those two seasons, I think our organization has done a terrific job at the draft podium though.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Geester76

Coaching staffs in Hamilton is fine fans are just overeacting as always. Three games ago I watched Leblanc played on TV and he showed very good puck handling skills. At some point in the game he played on the PP enters the offensive zone dekes a players and gooing forward he did a backward pass that create a turnover and breakaway from the other team (I think it was Lake Erie). When Leblanc went back to the bench there was a coach speaking to Leblanc and he was showing him what he should have done with the puck on a drawing board. Bad coaching indeed

Geester76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Many on this board, myself included feel that the fact the draft was in Montreal that season and the crowd was chanting Leblanc's name put unnecessary pressure on the club to select him. As for 2006, it goes without saying. Aside from those two seasons, I think our organization has done a terrific job at the draft podium though.
Two things...

1) I was at the draft, and no one was chanting his name until after he was picked.

2) You can rest assured that Timmins and co. had their list drawn up well before sitting down at the draft table, and I seriously doubt they would have been swayed to switch up their order based on the crowd on that day.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:45 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Not pleased. i thought he looked good in the NHL last year; make it work.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
you are a sad person, my friend. You could also go around every team and point out tonnes of players they should've drafted but didn't.

Timmins still has one of the best drafted players that went on to play in the NHL. So... you lose.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
It's a Filosa article. Let's calm down.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Two things...

1) I was at the draft, and no one was chanting his name until after he was picked.

2) You can rest assured that Timmins and co. had their list drawn up well before sitting down at the draft table, and I seriously doubt they would have been swayed to switch up their order based on the crowd on that day.
Hmmm ok.

Maybe I'm wrong but I seem to remember that, mind you it was almost 4 years ago now. It was also at a high point when the organization was getting ripped for not picking French players though, to be fair.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Two things...

Did you have loud headphones on before he was drafted? Because there were 20 000 people shouting Leblanc's name when Gary Bettman announced Montreal to the podium.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anyway, we will see how this plays out. The best news out of this whole season starting is the fact that most AHL teams will lose their top players to their NHL teams while it most certainly not going to happen in here except maybe for Dumont. So the Dogs might look better and so will Leblanc. This Dogs team was already not prepared to be that great to begin with, imagine in a league where you had much better players than usual due to the lockout.

Old
01-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I've liked what I've seen of Leblanc on most stages... he looked good with his corner work in the WJC - undersized for that to be the best part of his game, but smart and effective with it all the same. And as a Hab he looked like he could be smart and effective similarly, in something of a hybrid role - skilled enough to contribute on a scoring line, but smart enough to do fine in a checking role too, all depending on chemistry and how the rest of the lineup was rolling. It's a good player type to have, somebody who can be versatile and adaptive.

So far in Hamilton... I'm ok with chalking it up as an injury thing. He got out of the mix, came back in a lesser role, and just hasn't got out of the funk yet. Even though it has been a long funk. I'm not worried. Coach doesn't matter... good players will be ok even if they have some off-years in terms of the effect coaching has on them. I think Leblanc will be a good player.

But I thought Chipchura would be too - well, ok, I actually still think Chipchura is.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:06 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Sucks, I really didn't like the selection of Lefebvre as the coach in Hamilton but to late now I guess.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:12 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Yes, I do.
Leblanc played a good season in the QMJHL considering he was injured for half the season and needed a surgery that kept him out of action for a few months after the playoffs. And was also good last season in the AHL and NHL. You can't really compare this situation to Giroux/Fischer.

As for Giroux, I can name you many players who were good in the Q and never stood out after. Some players develop well, some don't. If scouting and drafting was as easy as you make it out to be, there would be not bust or no surprise. There's a chance Giroux might have developed badly with the Habs. We'll never know.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Habtchum*

Lefebvree is not alone. Wilson was thre last year and got tons of experience.

I am pretty sure no one is trying to kill Leblanc's carreer. He's probably trying too hard to catch up after this last injury.

Leblanc will be a third line player in the NHL. They are just grooming him thet way.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:22 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Lefebvree is not alone. Wilson was thre last year and got tons of experience.

I am pretty sure no one is trying to kill Leblanc's carreer. He's probably trying too hard to catch up after this last injury.

Leblanc will be a third line player in the NHL. They are just grooming him thet way.
By that logic, Dumont and Blunden will be top6 players in the NHL, right?

Flawed logic is flawed.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
By that logic, Dumont and Blunden will be top6 players in the NHL, right?

Flawed logic is flawed.
Blunden and Dumont have very strong ''chances'' to spend the rest of their carreer at AHLlevel.

Why not just think that Leblanc has still issues with his ankle injury ?

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Kjell Dahlin

So... no elastic?

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
deandebean

First off, I do believe SOME of what Jeremy reported. His close friends AND probably one or two players were his sources. He did say that he had the info verified in Hamilton and close to home.

Now, are the coaches really on his back? Don't think so. I think they feel he's not 100% committed to hockey...which, frankly, has been a problem of his (and his family) over the years. His Harvard stint was all about that. His family (not every member of his family are hockey nuts to say the least...think more of the cerebral/intellectual type) had much influence on him there. And I think they still do. And as for the rubber elastics, who cares. When your skating skills aren't the best and you get some Power skating courses, you get those. I've seen pros get some skating lessons with a russian lady in Montreal using the elastics. That's much ado about nothing (probably from a family member).

The only part that gets to me is a comment made by Filosa today on radio. He mentioned Brisebois and the fact that he had blown a gasket already on some players on TV (my guess was when he was on TVA), and that the comments he had made at the time were eerily similar to what has been reported regarding Leblanc. Filosa thus hinted that Brisebois MIGHT be one who gave it to Leblanc. If true, not cool from a guy that's supposed to help players.

Last edited by deandebean: 01-13-2013 at 02:06 PM.
deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote