HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
  #726
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,081
vCash: 500
I'm opposed to Gomez because we don't have a spot for him. If we sign him, that means Holland doesn't make the team. I feel like it's time for Holland to get a shot in the NHL. He's come a long way in terms of development...I hope they reward him.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
  #727
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,347
vCash: 500
As far as us being interested in Gomez - what is the harm if it's as a 12th/13th forward? Plenty of people were speculating we might sign Pelley for the 4C role and didn't seem upset about it and Gomez certainly brings more to the table than Pelley. It's a low risk medium reward move - it's not like he's going to be counted on for second line minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Jokinen hasn't been volleyed around this league because he's a reliable standby. You are taking a gamble with Olli, just as much as you are with Bonino.
I'm not getting into the we should have/shouldn't have looked at Jokinen debate (according to Stephens/Elliott we had absolutely no interest) but there's no way that the gamble on Jokinen is the same as gambling on Bonino. Jokinen hasn't scored less than 50 points since the 2001-02 season and scored 61 points last season. Bonino has 18 career points. The gamble is miles higher with Bonino as far as on ice production goes.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
  #728
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'm opposed to Gomez because we don't have a spot for him. If we sign him, that means Holland doesn't make the team. I feel like it's time for Holland to get a shot in the NHL. He's come a long way in terms of development...I hope they reward him.
There's nothing wrong with a bit more competition. I really wanted Holland to get a decent shot at the 2nd line job but if it's 4th line in the NHL vs 1st line in the AHL I'm indifferent as to whether he stays or not. I do agree that he's come a long way in his development though. It's not like we can't move him to wing and have a Holland - Gomez - DSP/Beleskey 4th line either.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
  #729
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
@NorfolkAdmirals: #Admirals sign veteran D Kent Huskins to Tryout: http://t.co/0NqagsT0 Huskins played in Norfolk from 2001-03 and won the 2007 Stanley Cup.
Looks like they weren't just being nice.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
  #730
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,906
vCash: 50
Good for Huskins.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:13 PM
  #731
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
Glad to have him in Norfolk and back with the organization in some capacity.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
  #732
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,842
vCash: 500
Huskins couldn't land an NHL job? Damn.

Not many guys can do this:

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
  #733
DuckJet
Poster of the Year
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 49,638
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
There's nothing wrong with a bit more competition. I really wanted Holland to get a decent shot at the 2nd line job but if it's 4th line in the NHL vs 1st line in the AHL I'm indifferent as to whether he stays or not. I do agree that he's come a long way in his development though. It's not like we can't move him to wing and have a Holland - Gomez - DSP/Beleskey 4th line either.
With ten other teams allegedly vying for his services I doubt he'd be okay signing with a team that might send him right to the AHL.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
  #734
NEWFowler
hi
 
NEWFowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Huskins couldn't land an NHL job? Damn.

Not many guys can do this:
Amazing Good to have him back!

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  #735
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,533
vCash: 1281
is anybody else jumping on the "i believe" train for the game saturday against vancouver? They're looking like a one trick pony and I think for once our second line may be better than theirs. Im going to watch their game tonight and have a look

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
  #736
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
They'll be missing Kesler, plus who knows how ready Schneider will be or how committed Lou is.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
  #737
JtotheLew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seoul, South Korea
Country: Canada
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
is anybody else jumping on the "i believe" train for the game saturday against vancouver? They're looking like a one trick pony and I think for once our second line may be better than theirs. Im going to watch their game tonight and have a look
I feel like we usually play good hockey vs that division, I could see us winning that game. I'm just super excited to watch Hockey period.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
  #738
SupermanPahlsson
Registered User
 
SupermanPahlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
One thing I totally forgot about Gomez is his connection to Scotty. Might be a Koivu/Souray type of reclamation connection.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
  #739
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 10,210
vCash: 500
Ok, i`d take Connolly, but i really don`t want Gomez.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
  #740
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Anyone know when the official roster is announced for Saturday's game?
Stephens said by tomorrow night.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
  #741
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,292
vCash: 50
It'll be interesting to see who that final cut is.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
  #742
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'd rather have Souray than Visnovsky on this team. Visnovsky is redundant, and that isn't even taking into account the draft pick.

The assumptions I'm talking about are your magic moves. The assumption Jokinen would come here on the same deal. The assumption Cogliano can be traded with no salary coming back. The notion that Visnovsky is going to rebound in his age 30-whatever year is irresponsible at best.

And you misunderstand the Weight comparison, as it has nothing to do with play style or even skill as much as an ill-timed and short-sighted move.

Fowler is still techniquely on his ELC (2x that of Bonino, but whatever) for the next 40 odd games, but his extension kicks in after that. So really, you're still wasting two players at cheap contracts that could be contributing.
There's no point in arguing with you about the Souray Visnovsky debate. I just completely disagree with you there. I'll take Lubo and his 1 year deal over Souray and his overpaid 3 year deal anyway, despite having the pick. You disagre that's fine.

Of course they're assumptions. The guy asked me what I would have done differently? What exactly was I going to base it on, facts? I don't think the assumptions were outrageous by any means. I do believe he would have signed here. We are just as competitive, if not more, than Winnipeg and he's got a ton of countrymen on this team. Yeah it's an assumption, but since Murray didn't inquire about him, it's all I got.

With Cogliano, yeah that's an assumption but as I said he asked what I'd do, and I know many have said that they thought Cogs could be shed with out much trouble as well. So again, not a far out there assumption IMO.

Your assumption of Lubo is the same as mine of Souray. From what I've heard from Dallas fans, he was great for first 25 games or so, then was ok, and then was awful down the stretch. That's why I said I expect him to be ok this year due to the shortened season, but I expect to hate that contract even more by game 20 of next year. Me believing that Lubo will bounce back is not an outrageous assumption either.

Sorry I misunderstood your comparison to Weight (being serious, not a dick). I understand what you're saying but I disagree. A 2 year deal would have been perfect IMO.

My point is that during such an important season, it's not wise to have such important positions filled with unproven players. I think pencilling Bonino there was a giant mistake and i fully expect him to he supplanted by someone else. I hope I'm wrong but i just don't think Bonino will be a top six center.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
  #743
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Jokinen hasn't been volleyed around this league because he's a reliable standby. You are taking a gamble with Olli, just as much as you are with Bonino.
Is this a joke? How is it the same?

Bonino has showed a few glimpse of possibly being more than a solid 3rd line center, and hasn't done much point wise. Jokinen has been consistently been putting up points for years. I am not saying bring Jokinen in to be a staple of the team, I'm saying bring him in to be a stop gap until Bonino or Holland proved ready. Which neither have done so IMO.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
  #744
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Is this a joke? How is it the same?

Bonino has showed a few glimpse of possibly being more than a solid 3rd line center, and hasn't done much point wise. Jokinen has been consistently been putting up points for years. I am not saying bring Jokinen in to be a staple of the team, I'm saying bring him in to be a stop gap until Bonino or Holland proved ready. Which neither have done so IMO.
Who are you using as your model here? Because I fail to see how it's out of line with how most teams bring in players.

Points? Great. I'm sure we missed out on having a great fantasy team.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
  #745
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
With ten other teams allegedly vying for his services I doubt he'd be okay signing with a team that might send him right to the AHL.
Why would we sign him just to send him straight to the AHL? Obviously if we're interested we'll at least give him a shot first. If he doesn't work out he's either 13th forward or we can see if anyone else wants him. Gomez can't afford to be picky right now.

And to clarify - I couldn't care less if we don't sign him. But bringing him in to be 4th line centre is not the end of the world like people in this thread are making it out to be.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
  #746
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Who are you using as your model here? Because I fail to see how it's out of line with how most teams bring in players.

Points? Great. I'm sure we missed out on having a great fantasy team.
What? You're telling me that starting Jokinen on our 2nd line is just as big of a risk as having Bonino start there? It's a scoring line so I would imagine success of the line would be the measuring point.

I just don't see how you think he'd be just as risky there as Bonino when you consider what each player has accomplished.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
  #747
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 16,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Who are you using as your model here? Because I fail to see how it's out of line with how most teams bring in players.

Points? Great. I'm sure we missed out on having a great fantasy team.
Jokinen is good defensively. And as I pointed out earlier he puts up 50+ points a year. Counting on him for his on ice production is far less risky than Bonino. Unless you're talking about potential locker room issues?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
  #748
bumperkisser
Registered User
 
bumperkisser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Is this a joke? How is it the same?

Bonino has showed a few glimpse of possibly being more than a solid 3rd line center, and hasn't done much point wise. Jokinen has been consistently been putting up points for years. I am not saying bring Jokinen in to be a staple of the team, I'm saying bring him in to be a stop gap until Bonino or Holland proved ready. Which neither have done so IMO.
while thats true. where would you put bonino or holland to let the prove that they're NHL ready. one of them on the 4c and then the other down to the minors?

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:17 PM
  #749
mighty all the way
Registered User
 
mighty all the way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
while thats true. where would you put bonino or holland to let the prove that they're NHL ready. one of them on the 4c and then the other down to the minors?
Exactly, we might have other options that are better currently. But we need to give Holland and Bonino a chance to prove themselves. They don't have a resume right now because they haven't had the opportunity.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
  #750
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
What? You're telling me that starting Jokinen on our 2nd line is just as big of a risk as having Bonino start there? It's a scoring line so I would imagine success of the line would be the measuring point.

I just don't see how you think he'd be just as risky there as Bonino when you consider what each player has accomplished.
That's the problem, you're shutting the door on anyone accomplishing anything because you're unwilling to take on the risks that go with developing a player. You've taken a player's rookie season and boiled down their career from that incredibly limited sampling. This is the same crap that caused LA to lose Moulson and Purcell. Let's remember that nearly every roster you've suggested demoted Bonino down to the fourth line center spot. Real encouraging.

If Bonino, Holland, and Rakell aren't ready, we have a plan B sitting on our third line, possibly a plan C if we sign Gomez. Make no mistake though, we have to take these kinds of chances. We aren't going to let our prospect pool dwindle because we get cold feet every time a new season starts.

You sign a stop gap when the players coming up are still at the developmental levels, not when they're ready for, or have already been starting in the NHL.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.