Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Old
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

vCash: 500
I'm opposed to Gomez because we don't have a spot for him. If we sign him, that means Holland doesn't make the team. I feel like it's time for Holland to get a shot in the NHL. He's come a long way in terms of development...I hope they reward him.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Paul4587

As far as us being interested in Gomez - what is the harm if it's as a 12th/13th forward? Plenty of people were speculating we might sign Pelley for the 4C role and didn't seem upset about it and Gomez certainly brings more to the table than Pelley. It's a low risk medium reward move - it's not like he's going to be counted on for second line minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Jokinen hasn't been volleyed around this league because he's a reliable standby. You are taking a gamble with Olli, just as much as you are with Bonino.
I'm not getting into the we should have/shouldn't have looked at Jokinen debate (according to Stephens/Elliott we had absolutely no interest) but there's no way that the gamble on Jokinen is the same as gambling on Bonino. Jokinen hasn't scored less than 50 points since the 2001-02 season and scored 61 points last season. Bonino has 18 career points. The gamble is miles higher with Bonino as far as on ice production goes.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
I'm opposed to Gomez because we don't have a spot for him. If we sign him, that means Holland doesn't make the team. I feel like it's time for Holland to get a shot in the NHL. He's come a long way in terms of development...I hope they reward him.
There's nothing wrong with a bit more competition. I really wanted Holland to get a decent shot at the 2nd line job but if it's 4th line in the NHL vs 1st line in the AHL I'm indifferent as to whether he stays or not. I do agree that he's come a long way in his development though. It's not like we can't move him to wing and have a Holland - Gomez - DSP/Beleskey 4th line either.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
@NorfolkAdmirals: #Admirals sign veteran D Kent Huskins to Tryout: http://t.co/0NqagsT0 Huskins played in Norfolk from 2001-03 and won the 2007 Stanley Cup.
Looks like they weren't just being nice.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Good for Huskins.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Exit Dose

Glad to have him in Norfolk and back with the organization in some capacity.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Huskins couldn't land an NHL job? Damn.

Not many guys can do this:

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
There's nothing wrong with a bit more competition. I really wanted Holland to get a decent shot at the 2nd line job but if it's 4th line in the NHL vs 1st line in the AHL I'm indifferent as to whether he stays or not. I do agree that he's come a long way in his development though. It's not like we can't move him to wing and have a Holland - Gomez - DSP/Beleskey 4th line either.
With ten other teams allegedly vying for his services I doubt he'd be okay signing with a team that might send him right to the AHL.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
NEWFowler
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
Huskins couldn't land an NHL job? Damn.

Not many guys can do this:
Amazing Good to have him back!

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:01 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 1281
is anybody else jumping on the "i believe" train for the game saturday against vancouver? They're looking like a one trick pony and I think for once our second line may be better than theirs. Im going to watch their game tonight and have a look

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Exit Dose

They'll be missing Kesler, plus who knows how ready Schneider will be or how committed Lou is.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:34 PM
JtotheLew

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckbin15 View Post
is anybody else jumping on the "i believe" train for the game saturday against vancouver? They're looking like a one trick pony and I think for once our second line may be better than theirs. Im going to watch their game tonight and have a look
I feel like we usually play good hockey vs that division, I could see us winning that game. I'm just super excited to watch Hockey period.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
SupermanPahlsson

One thing I totally forgot about Gomez is his connection to Scotty. Might be a Koivu/Souray type of reclamation connection.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Ok, i`d take Connolly, but i really don`t want Gomez.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Anyone know when the official roster is announced for Saturday's game?
Stephens said by tomorrow night.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Gibson Les Palms
pas assez bon

vCash: 50
It'll be interesting to see who that final cut is.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
I'd rather have Souray than Visnovsky on this team. Visnovsky is redundant, and that isn't even taking into account the draft pick.

The assumptions I'm talking about are your magic moves. The assumption Jokinen would come here on the same deal. The assumption Cogliano can be traded with no salary coming back. The notion that Visnovsky is going to rebound in his age 30-whatever year is irresponsible at best.

And you misunderstand the Weight comparison, as it has nothing to do with play style or even skill as much as an ill-timed and short-sighted move.

Fowler is still techniquely on his ELC (2x that of Bonino, but whatever) for the next 40 odd games, but his extension kicks in after that. So really, you're still wasting two players at cheap contracts that could be contributing.
There's no point in arguing with you about the Souray Visnovsky debate. I just completely disagree with you there. I'll take Lubo and his 1 year deal over Souray and his overpaid 3 year deal anyway, despite having the pick. You disagre that's fine.

Of course they're assumptions. The guy asked me what I would have done differently? What exactly was I going to base it on, facts? I don't think the assumptions were outrageous by any means. I do believe he would have signed here. We are just as competitive, if not more, than Winnipeg and he's got a ton of countrymen on this team. Yeah it's an assumption, but since Murray didn't inquire about him, it's all I got.

With Cogliano, yeah that's an assumption but as I said he asked what I'd do, and I know many have said that they thought Cogs could be shed with out much trouble as well. So again, not a far out there assumption IMO.

Your assumption of Lubo is the same as mine of Souray. From what I've heard from Dallas fans, he was great for first 25 games or so, then was ok, and then was awful down the stretch. That's why I said I expect him to be ok this year due to the shortened season, but I expect to hate that contract even more by game 20 of next year. Me believing that Lubo will bounce back is not an outrageous assumption either.

Sorry I misunderstood your comparison to Weight (being serious, not a dick). I understand what you're saying but I disagree. A 2 year deal would have been perfect IMO.

My point is that during such an important season, it's not wise to have such important positions filled with unproven players. I think pencilling Bonino there was a giant mistake and i fully expect him to he supplanted by someone else. I hope I'm wrong but i just don't think Bonino will be a top six center.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Jokinen hasn't been volleyed around this league because he's a reliable standby. You are taking a gamble with Olli, just as much as you are with Bonino.
Is this a joke? How is it the same?

Bonino has showed a few glimpse of possibly being more than a solid 3rd line center, and hasn't done much point wise. Jokinen has been consistently been putting up points for years. I am not saying bring Jokinen in to be a staple of the team, I'm saying bring him in to be a stop gap until Bonino or Holland proved ready. Which neither have done so IMO.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post

Bonino has showed a few glimpse of possibly being more than a solid 3rd line center, and hasn't done much point wise. Jokinen has been consistently been putting up points for years. I am not saying bring Jokinen in to be a staple of the team, I'm saying bring him in to be a stop gap until Bonino or Holland proved ready. Which neither have done so IMO.
Who are you using as your model here? Because I fail to see how it's out of line with how most teams bring in players.

Points? Great. I'm sure we missed out on having a great fantasy team.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
With ten other teams allegedly vying for his services I doubt he'd be okay signing with a team that might send him right to the AHL.
Why would we sign him just to send him straight to the AHL? Obviously if we're interested we'll at least give him a shot first. If he doesn't work out he's either 13th forward or we can see if anyone else wants him. Gomez can't afford to be picky right now.

And to clarify - I couldn't care less if we don't sign him. But bringing him in to be 4th line centre is not the end of the world like people in this thread are making it out to be.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Who are you using as your model here? Because I fail to see how it's out of line with how most teams bring in players.

What? You're telling me that starting Jokinen on our 2nd line is just as big of a risk as having Bonino start there? It's a scoring line so I would imagine success of the line would be the measuring point.

I just don't see how you think he'd be just as risky there as Bonino when you consider what each player has accomplished.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Paul4587

Quote:

Jokinen is good defensively. And as I pointed out earlier he puts up 50+ points a year. Counting on him for his on ice production is far less risky than Bonino. Unless you're talking about potential locker room issues?

Old
01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:

while thats true. where would you put bonino or holland to let the prove that they're NHL ready. one of them on the 4c and then the other down to the minors?

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:17 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
while thats true. where would you put bonino or holland to let the prove that they're NHL ready. one of them on the 4c and then the other down to the minors?
Exactly, we might have other options that are better currently. But we need to give Holland and Bonino a chance to prove themselves. They don't have a resume right now because they haven't had the opportunity.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
What? You're telling me that starting Jokinen on our 2nd line is just as big of a risk as having Bonino start there? It's a scoring line so I would imagine success of the line would be the measuring point.

I just don't see how you think he'd be just as risky there as Bonino when you consider what each player has accomplished.
That's the problem, you're shutting the door on anyone accomplishing anything because you're unwilling to take on the risks that go with developing a player. You've taken a player's rookie season and boiled down their career from that incredibly limited sampling. This is the same crap that caused LA to lose Moulson and Purcell. Let's remember that nearly every roster you've suggested demoted Bonino down to the fourth line center spot. Real encouraging.

If Bonino, Holland, and Rakell aren't ready, we have a plan B sitting on our third line, possibly a plan C if we sign Gomez. Make no mistake though, we have to take these kinds of chances. We aren't going to let our prospect pool dwindle because we get cold feet every time a new season starts.

You sign a stop gap when the players coming up are still at the developmental levels, not when they're ready for, or have already been starting in the NHL.