HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 02:15 AM
  #801
Kilts79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
What's the word on this vaatanen cat? I hear he's a softie

Kilts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:18 AM
  #802
Finnpin
Registered User
 
Finnpin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilts79 View Post
What's the word on this vaatanen cat? I hear he's a softie
You've heard wrong. He is our 4th enforcer.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:25 AM
  #803
Kilts79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Hahaha any footage

Kilts79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:51 AM
  #804
hirawl
Used Register
 
hirawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
This whole Olli beeing locker room cancer is way too much exaggerated... typical HFboards mentality. When he was younger and stupid there was definately douchery in Olli but I'll say as a veteran these days he is a different person.

.................................................. ..

So Sami is still hanging in the team?
Very true about OJ. He has totally turned himself around as a person. One of the most straight forward guys in the league. There's absolutely zero ******** about him these days. Locker room cancer? Not in the slightest. Talk to CGY guys.

Not saying that the Ducks should have gone after him.

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:51 AM
  #805
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 708
I'm with those saying Bonino hasn't earned a 2nd line spot. He has earned a look there, but you can't just leave a hole and slot a player with 20 career points in there to fill it. Not unless there's a backup guy, but I think we have one in Koivu anyways.

Look at the Flyers, Couturier and Schenn would likely have started out in the bottom six if Briere was healthy. Both have showed more than Bonino and both are considered much bigger talents. Looks like Tarasenko will also start out on the Blues third line... That doesn't mean they can't earn top six roles over the course of the season.

In 08/09, Andrew Ebbett wasn't just given the job in the top six because he was scoring machine in the AHL and had some upside. The Ducks filled the 2nd line center hole with Brendan Morrison, who was a dissappointment while Ebbett had a good year and stole Morrison's job. So, just because Bonino starts out in the bottom six doesn't mean it's hatched in stone that he'll play there the entire year.

I will say though, I think Bonino will pan out in his new role. It should be pretty hard to fail as a playmaker when you're surrounded by Ryan and Selanne.


Last edited by Elvs: 01-18-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
  #806
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander
 
Lord Flashheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bananaland crapital
Country: Croatia
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Speaking for myself, it isn't that he will have a negative impact on the team, but rather that there are two guys who have proven they deserve a chance and could easily be as good if not better than Gomez. Gomez is at best, a dime a dozen plug. This year's Nick Hagman. You have to give your young players a chance.

Contending teams contend because they manage to find cheap good talent through their farm system. If half way through the season Bonino and/or Holland are stinking up the place then you go looking for a Gomez or Connolly type guy to maybe help you make a playoff run and finish out the season.
I'll just add to this that with prospect of losing both Getz and Perry I'd rather have our guys (Holland and Bonino) go throught thick and thin this season. Gomez would only take a spot, and wouldn't even come near pushing us over the top.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
  #807
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Nothing has been handed to Bonino. He has 160 pro games to his credit, worked his way up the lineup while he got his audition last season, put in the work they told him to put in every off season, trended upwards every year, and now he's ready. Boudreau says he's ready, Ryan says he's ready, Murray says he's ready. That's how this works.

But, no. Let's spend money we don't have on Jokinen of all people. That's not how budget teams manage themselves. They spend on money on areas of real concern: for example, a weak, ineffective defense with young players who are exposed in minutes and vulnerable physically. They maximize the resources they have to allocate by closely monitoring their young players so that they play when they're ready. In other words, so that there are as few overlaps as possible, no money being redundantly spent on luxury backup players. You may not like Bonino, but his time is now. Spending millions on a ridiculous stopgap while more pressing problem exist elsewhere, and while there are players ready to fill these roles, simply does not make sense.
Are you trying to be ignorant or just rude?

The only reason there's no room in the budget now is because Murray used it on other areas of the roster. The fact that he has 160 games doesn't mean **** because he hasn't showed, aside from a few glimpses, that he can handle a top six role during those games. You mean he dominated lower completion? Wow, that never happens. Murray also thought it was time for Sbisa (rookie year), Eminger, etc... And failed miserably. Our rosters absolutely sucked dick those years because he left unproven players in vital spots. He's done this for years, and of all years he should know we can't be victim of that again. As Elvstrand said, he's not done enough to just be handed the spot.

You can stop with the real concern BS. Secondary scoring was just as big of a problem as our defense was, IMO it was more or a problem. As you saw in my tweaks of the roster, I thought it was important to address both (Allen and Jokinen). That stop gap is not near as ridiculous as you think it is. It would have balanced our scoring out. However you stand correct when you say that Murray felt defense was the bigger concern, and I guess I should be comforted in that because Murray has always done well in addressing our weaknesses during the offseason... Oh wait he hasn't. I hope for the teams sake he hasn't blown it this time, otherwise say goodbye to Getz and Perry.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:38 AM
  #808
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
I should also point out that I really like Bonino. Had the chance to exchange a few words with him, and aside from being a big NY Giants fan, he seems pretty cool. No one will be rooting for him more than me, I just don't think it was wise to just hand him the spot in such an important year.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
  #809
mighty all the way
Registered User
 
mighty all the way's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 1,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
I'm with those saying Bonino hasn't earned a 2nd line spot. He has earned a look there, but you can't just leave a hole and slot a player with 20 career points in there to fill it. Not unless there's a backup guy, but I think we have one in Koivu anyways.

Look at the Flyers, Couturier and Schenn would likely have started out in the bottom six if Briere was healthy. Both have showed more than Bonino and both are considered much bigger talents. Looks like Tarasenko will also start out on the Blues third line... That doesn't mean they can't earn top six roles over the course of the season.

In 08/09, Andrew Ebbett wasn't just given the job in the top six because he was scoring machine in the AHL and had some upside. The Ducks filled the 2nd line center hole with Brendan Morrison, who was a dissappointment while Ebbett had a good year and stole Morrison's job. So, just because Bonino starts out in the bottom six doesn't mean it's hatched in stone that he'll play there the entire year.

I will say though, I think Bonino will pan out in his new role. It should be pretty hard to fail as a playmaker when you're surrounded by Ryan and Selanne.
Change Bonino to Holland and that's what is going to happen. The Ducks want Holland to challenge for the job, they want that competition but they don't want to put a solid 2nd line center there so he won't be able to steal it away. I don't think the Ducks plan on Bonino being their 2nd line center for the long term, he's simply there to provide a challenge there to Holland and be able to step in the 3rd spot after Koivu retires.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
  #810
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,665
vCash: 500
Hey guys, quick question...

Who is going to be the backup in Anaheim this season? I'm checking out the AHL transactions page and it looks like Fasth is in Norfolk and Anderson is up with the NHL club. Was wondering if that was the case...

Best of luck this season!

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
  #811
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend
 
quentez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Believe it's only temporary. Fasth has been quoted by the GM (and the coach?) as our backup goalie. He's just on a conditional stint in the minors for a short period of time.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
  #812
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Believe it's only temporary. Fasth has been quoted by the GM (and the coach?) as our backup goalie. He's just on a conditional stint in the minors for a short period of time.
Got it, thanks!

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
  #813
muckbin15
parros16
 
muckbin15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
no real source, but a buddy told me gomez might be down to phx and ana for destinations. ive also seen carolina a few places so dont really know. it wouldnt be a bad move in my opinion. cheap and provides some veteran leadership. also dont know why 11 pts in 38 gp is that bad

muckbin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
  #814
kenabnrmal
Registered User
 
kenabnrmal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: the beach or rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,208
vCash: 500
Regarding Gomez, he scored 33 goals once and never again touched 20, so he clearly isn't a goal scorer and shouldn't be judged solely on his goal totals. He was extremely ineffective in Montreal, but Montreal is a very difficult place to play if things aren't going well. I'm not personally willing to write him off entirely because he didn't do well in Montreal. I'm also not necessarily expecting him to break out either. I'd like to see Bonino or Holland grab the reigns, but relying upon them to do so makes me pretty anxious.

So, I'm going to be very uninternet-like and say I don't ****ing know if they should sign him, and I don't know how I'll feel if they do. I guess I don't see an issue with added forward depth, especially at the center position. If Bonino or Holland are ready enough for the chance, I would hope they'd be able to outperform him. I dunno, I'm typically all for reclamation projects that are affordable and have decent upside, so I guess why not. I won't have a knee-jerk reaction either way.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:07 PM
  #815
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,075
vCash: 500
Hell no to Gomez on any price. Waste of money and a roster spot, he would be Jason Blake nro 2.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
  #816
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr
 
Kalvinators's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Latvia
Country: Latvia
Posts: 8,799
vCash: 500
http://didgomezscore.com/

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  #817
OCSportsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
I would not be opposed to getting Gomez, but for the 4th line and killing pentalties a la Marchant. Also it would have to be for less than 1.5 million for 1 year.

It would allow Holland more time in the AHL, or move him to a wing for his first year.

4th line could be
Beleskey-Gomez-Holland

If they want him for the second line then I say no deal, lets stay with Bonino.

At midseason, if Bonino struggles (which I dont think he will), then we have the assets to make a trade for a better solution.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  #818
Gibson Les Palms
Registered User
 
Gibson Les Palms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,677
vCash: 814
Quote:
AnaheimDucks: The #NHLDucks roster for opening night in Vancouver will be finalized at noon PT today.
https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/sta...08145093636096

Gibson Les Palms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
  #819
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,636
vCash: 500
Like ken, I would be somewhat indifferent to a Gomez signing. I think there's some potential reward.

I don't even think he's that bad of a player. I think he got buried under expectations and his cap hit in Montreal. At a small cap hit it could work, and it would provide some insurance. Like duckstudd, I think there's a lot of risk asking two young centers to fill two positions. It would be better to have one position for them to rotate into.

OTH, I'm a little doubtful that Gomez will really sign cheap enough to be worth it. Despite the bad couple of seasons, I still don't think his value will drop enough to actually be the kind of bargain people are imagining.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:53 PM
  #820
Corey Perry*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Beach, Ca
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,531
vCash: 500
Isn't Gomez bad on faceoffs?

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
  #821
OCSportsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 532
vCash: 500
He is a little below average at faceoffs.

OCSportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:06 PM
  #822
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 9,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I don't even think he's that bad of a player. I think he got buried under expectations and his cap hit in Montreal. At a small cap hit it could work, and it would provide some insurance. Like duckstudd, I think there's a lot of risk asking two young centers to fill two positions. It would be better to have one position for them to rotate into.
That's actually not Duckstudd's position (yet, anyway), but consider this.

Of course, in the general sense, it would be better to have young players rotate in more slowly, but it isn't ideal to have them worked into an appropriate spot in the lineup no more slowly than they actually need? For a budget team especially? And wouldn't you agree that in order to make that work, you have to make some judgment calls about some young players whom you've seen play quite a bit but haven't seen play a ton in the role they're being groomed for? So, a budget team with more than one area on the roster that needs to be addressed would evaluate its young players, see which may of them may be ready, and spend money where they aren't.

As for Gomez, I'd be fine signing him and sticking him in Norfolk for a while to see how he does. But I'd agree that he's not going to take a two-way deal from anyone, because he won't need to.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
  #823
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Like ken, I would be somewhat indifferent to a Gomez signing. I think there's some potential reward.

I don't even think he's that bad of a player. I think he got buried under expectations and his cap hit in Montreal. At a small cap hit it could work, and it would provide some insurance. Like duckstudd, I think there's a lot of risk asking two young centers to fill two positions. It would be better to have one position for them to rotate into.

OTH, I'm a little doubtful that Gomez will really sign cheap enough to be worth it. Despite the bad couple of seasons, I still don't think his value will drop enough to actually be the kind of bargain people are imagining.
My issue isn't necessarily having two young centers, it's having one of those centers being counted on for so much when he hasn't proved much. I personally believe Murray should have aggressively sought after a legit 2nd line center, and if he thought Bonino was ready for more responsibility and not a 4th line role, then he should have let Koivu walk.

I don't like the idea of adding Gomez. I don't think it's wise to send Holland down by just bringing in him. Gomez isn't a beast defensively so IMO he doesn't bring enough to push Holland down. This is all assuming they think Holland is ready, if he's not I'm all for not rushing him.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:48 PM
  #824
snarktacular
Moderator
Ducks tank is on!
 
snarktacular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
That's actually not Duckstudd's position (yet, anyway), but consider this.

Of course, in the general sense, it would be better to have young players rotate in more slowly, but it isn't ideal to have them worked into an appropriate spot in the lineup no more slowly than they actually need? For a budget team especially? And wouldn't you agree that in order to make that work, you have to make some judgment calls about some young players whom you've seen play quite a bit but haven't seen play a ton in the role they're being groomed for? So, a budget team with more than one area on the roster that needs to be addressed would evaluate its young players, see which may of them may be ready, and spend money where they aren't.

As for Gomez, I'd be fine signing him and sticking him in Norfolk for a while to see how he does. But I'd agree that he's not going to take a two-way deal from anyone, because he won't need to.
I kind of agree. That's where I differ from both sides in the Bonino/Holland/xxx debate. Sometimes a leap of faith is needed. Murray does that a LOT, but I don't hate it entirely.

My thing is to make sure there's a backup. In this particular case, Koivu could be a backup for #2 center.

Is there a backup for #3/4 center? I don't really see one. Maybe Winnik. So that could be where Gomez fits in. But in-house there is also Rakell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
My issue isn't necessarily having two young centers, it's having one of those centers being counted on for so much when he hasn't proved much. I personally believe Murray should have aggressively sought after a legit 2nd line center, and if he thought Bonino was ready for more responsibility and not a 4th line role, then he should have let Koivu walk.

I don't like the idea of adding Gomez. I don't think it's wise to send Holland down by just bringing in him. Gomez isn't a beast defensively so IMO he doesn't bring enough to push Holland down. This is all assuming they think Holland is ready, if he's not I'm all for not rushing him.
I guess I was projecting my thoughts a little into what I thought you were saying. So you're saying you want a spot left open for Bonino/Holland, but at the #3 position?

Hmm. I agree with your general sentiment that Murray is being a little too risky, but I think you might be a little too cautious.

I do agree with your other point, though, that forwards was more of a concern to me than defense. More specifically, defense was more of a concern until they got Allen. Once Allen was signed, the next big area of concern was forward, not signing Souray to be a broken-down #5 defenseman.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
  #825
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I kind of agree. That's where I differ from both sides in the Bonino/Holland/xxx debate. Sometimes a leap of faith is needed. Murray does that a LOT, but I don't hate it entirely.

My thing is to make sure there's a backup. In this particular case, Koivu could be a backup for #2 center.

Is there a backup for #3/4 center? I don't really see one. Maybe Winnik. So that could be where Gomez fits in. But in-house there is also Rakell.


I guess I was projecting my thoughts a little into what I thought you were saying. So you're saying you want a spot left open for Bonino/Holland, but at the #3 position?

Hmm. I agree with your general sentiment that Murray is being a little too risky, but I think you might be a little too cautious.

I do agree with your other point, though, that forwards was more of a concern to me than defense. More specifically, defense was more of a concern until they got Allen. Once Allen was signed, the next big area of concern was forward, not signing Souray to be a broken-down #5 defenseman.
I don't think their necessarily had to be an open spot for Holland. My point is that I wanted a more proven center at the 2nd line spot. That's been a glaring hole for years now IMO, and each year Murray fails to address it. If it were up to me I would have had the centers as Getzlaf, trade/FA, Koivu, and Bonino. This allows Holland to get another year of development in the AHL. However if the club felt Bonino was too talented to be on a 4th line role (which I disagree with based on the type of roster BB likes to run), then they should have let Koivu walk and still done everything they could to bring in the better 2nd line center.

I can't multi quote on a phone but I agree with everything you said on the last part of your post. Bringing in Allen was fine, but they should have made upgrading the forwards priority after that instead of signing Souray. I personally think that should have been priority one.

Duck Off is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.