Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Old
01-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Well I know Beleskey can scrap I'm jus a bit worried for Palms. I remember we had Marchant and Parros to protect the twins when they first broke into the league.
Yeah, Marchant never protected anybody. But the old Burke lineup was bursting with scrappy guys. It got to be a bit of a running joke at the time - how many draft pick for scrub enforcer deals was Burke going to make?

Worked out great, though.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Vertigo hasn't been a problem since last off season. His struggles last season were from rust, overwork, a horrendous defense in front of him, and a stubborn case of onebadgoalpergame-itis.
Murray stated outright that Hiller's head just wasn't 100% early last season, when he brought up Hiller's struggles at the start of the season.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
And Fedoruk for a bit, IIRC.
You do RC. And IMO that team didn't really take off until Fedoruk brained Petr Nedved.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
No one's gonna give a rats ass about Palmieri. If he's playing with Getzlaf and Perry, those are the players the opposition should worry about. Also, the Ducks didn't have Parros when Getzlaf and Perry broke into the league... And Marchant? What?
Fedoruk.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsgoneWild View Post
Sounds like a certain goalie on my team. He rhymes with Hiller.
We should get them to stop canoodling then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Murray stated outright that Hiller's head just wasn't 100% early last season, when he brought up Hiller's struggles at the start of the season.
I must have missed that. Where did he say it?

Never mind, I found it. "The heads thing just hadn't gone away." I wonder when it finally went away for good.

Last edited by Spicy Porkins: 01-18-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
It does go back to Murray, but more upstream.

In terms of choosing one of the young guys to stay, yes that's the coach's choice. But in terms of leaving the open so that there's no other viable candidates except the young guy... well that's Murray.
No, that's just what you're assuming to be the case. We've already seen that we were looking at Gomez. Who knows what other considerations there might have been. Would we be doing that if Murray demanded that Boudreau give a young player one of those spots?

"If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
I must have missed that. Where did he say it?
http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650164

Quote:
On how the Ducks got better in the offseason,
We set out to change our defense after last year. We weren’t happy with how small and pushed around we were in our own zone. That created a lot of our problems. So you bring in Bryan Allen and Sheldon Souray, and you’re bigger and stronger, you have more experience, you have leadership. So, the back end has been addressed.

As far as goaltending, Hillsy [Jonas Hiller] struggled at the start of last year. The heads thing just hadn’t gone away. We brought in Viktor Fasth, a very sought-after free agent, and we won on that one. So, the goaltending and back end has been addressed.

Old
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I don't believe Lindholm was ever officially recalled. He's technically still with the Swedish Junior team. Same deal with Devo last year. He was with the Ducks recuperating but wasn't on injured reserve or the active roster. What will be interesting is what they do once he's healthy. Do them send him back to Norfolk or does he get a game or two in with the Ducks?

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Fedoruk.
I know they played with an enforcer, just pointed out that it wasn't Parros who 'protected them' when they broke into the league (and defenitely not Marchant). Fedoruk wasn't just in the lineup because of Getzlaf and Perry though and he could actually play hockey, too. A shame what happened to him, one my favourite Ducks of all time.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Palmieri can take care of himself.
This is the NHL not the AHL. He might do well in minors, but this is a totally different scenario. I'm glad your confident in him btw. But still it's a short season teams are hungry and we don't need our rookies getting pushed around.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Yeah, Marchant never protected anybody. But the old Burke lineup was bursting with scrappy guys. It got to be a bit of a running joke at the time - how many draft pick for scrub enforcer deals was Burke going to make?

Worked out great, though.
Yupp first cup to be brought to so cal. Gosh I miss our grittyness with Rob scrapping and Moen scrapping. Ugh

Old
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
This is the NHL not the AHL. He might do well in minors, but this is a totally different scenario. I'm glad your confident in him btw. But still it's a short season teams are hungry and we don't need our rookies getting pushed around.
No, it isn't. Palmieri is a **** stirrer. Other teams, and their goalies, should be worried that we now have two players with Perry's mentality on one line.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Fedoruk.
Yah sorry we had Feds. It's been awhile since they broke in. Thanks for fixing the post Soj.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
AngelDuck

Holland is 6'2 and 200 pounds. Not worried about him getting pushed around. Palmieri is playing with two of the best forwards in the world - who happen to be quite large for such skilled players

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Never mind, I found it. "The heads thing just hadn't gone away." I wonder when it finally went away for good.
I couldn't really say, but I certainly suspected he wasn't 100%. The contrast between the beginning of the season and his play later in the season was just too extreme.

Edit: I really think Anaheim would have been a very different team with a healthy Hiller. You could see the frustration in the players when he'd cough up a softy.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Exit Dose is the closest thing we have to an AHL correspondent, so I'll accept that Palmieri handles himself there. But, however Palmieri acts in the minors, in the NHL games I've seen him play he's been passive and reluctant. I hope making the team out of camp gives his dickishness a boost. Maybe playing with a pest like Perry will help, too.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
God, if Palmieri works out with Getz and Pears, it would be the most epic troll line ever. On top of that, they'll score on you often too.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
I couldn't really say, but I certainly suspected he wasn't 100%. The contrast between the beginning of the season and his play later in the season was just too extreme.

Edit: I really think Anaheim would have been a very different team with a healthy Hiller. You could see the frustration in the players when he'd cough up a softy.
It feels safe to say that he's been vertigo-free for roughly a year, I think.

Edit for your edit: I think so, too. It didn't help that the players quit on Carlyle and he couldn't stop the tailspin. IMO Hiller didn't do anyone any favors with his finger-pointing in the media.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

I'm actually with Dirk a bit on this one, I think PL3 should at least be with the Ducks, and inserted into the lineup when we play teams who like to take runs. We're likely going to be having quite a few rookies playing and I'd like for us to at least have 1 guy who's willing to cross the line if necessary.

I'd like to see this:

PPG
RBS
CKW
Belesky-Holland-DSP/PL3

I'm also with Ken and Snark, in that I'm ambivalent towards a Gomez signing. I'm not going to care too much either way, I don't think Gomez will hurt or help us any more than Holland in the 4th line role, and I don't think Holland playing in the AHL or on the 4th line will hurt him in any way.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
SupermanPahlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Holland is 6'2 and 200 pounds. Not worried about him getting pushed around. Palmieri is playing with two of the best forwards in the world - who happen to be quite large for such skilled players
Holland was closer to 6'4" when I saw him in the summer. Dude grew.

SupermanPahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Well he has Beleskey if **** gets shakey along the boards. Not worried about that line. Just worried about our first. But if Exit thinks Palms can handle himself then okay?.....

Old
01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Exit Dose is the closest thing we have to an AHL correspondent, so I'll accept that Palmieri handles himself there. But, however Palmieri acts in the minors, in the NHL games I've seen him play he's been passive and reluctant. I hope making the team out of camp gives his dickishness a boost. Maybe playing with a pest like Perry will help, too.
I suspect that some of that passivity was either on orders from Boudreau or was the result of him trying to prove he could skate and score in the NHL - so he kept it simple.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanPahlsson View Post
Holland was closer to 6'4" when I saw him in the summer. Dude grew.
Yeah, I saw he's listed at 6'2", but he looked taller when I saw him at training camp

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

I'd like the Ducks to be a tougher bunch, but I don't think PL3 is the answer. I don't think BB would dress him much, and if he did, he'd ride the bench for the most part.

If Murray wants a tougher team under this coach, he'll have to get tougher skilled players. Since we haven't drafted many of those and they don't tend to come up for trades, I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm content with the effort Murray made with the defense, but Souray's durability is a concern. So, be prepared to watch the guys get pushed around more than we'd like.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Quote:

Probably very off topic but not as bad as Gigy. Remember the topics in the forum back then? I remember posters were making jpegs with beach balls sheesh