HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
  #901
Bodacious Wits
Castleton Snob
 
Bodacious Wits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castleton
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I suspect that some of that passivity was either on orders from Boudreau or was the result of him trying to prove he could skate and score in the NHL - so he kept it simple.
Yeah, I've wondered how much Boudreau actively discourages that kind of thing. Some players are just better when they're closer to the edge, though.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  #902
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,992
vCash: 500
So who's making the GDT?

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  #903
Ducksgo*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Yeah, I've wondered how much Boudreau actively discourages that kind of thing. Some players are just better when they're closer to the edge, though.
Well BB was just brought up on NHL Live right now. No interview just commentary. He was called a score first ask questions later type of coach. Dredger also commented on our old gritty ways back in 07. He said BB is more conservative. Pacific division is being previewed ATM.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  #904
defer
Registered User
 
defer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 50
Final roster

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
  #905
Ducksgo*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Three rookie this season. Vats IR here we go boys going to be interesting.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
  #906
HanSolo
Moderator
aka DuckJet
 
HanSolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 65,616
vCash: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
So who's making the GDT?
I'll do it. But I was better at doing the lazy themed ones. Not exactly first game appropriate.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:51 PM
  #907
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,637
vCash: 500
I never understood the point of making the rookies wear high numbers. If you give them a roster spot out of training camp, might as well let them pick a low number.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
  #908
Pahlsson26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
I never understood the point of making the rookies wear high numbers. If you give them a roster spot out of training camp, might as well let them pick a low number.
Maybe just a reminder that they have to keep working to earn their low number?

EDIT: I like the strategy, but think there are some cases where a player has had a high number for too long (McMillan deserved a low number at the beginning of last season) or too short (Fowler).

Pahlsson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  #909
Bodacious Wits
Castleton Snob
 
Bodacious Wits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castleton
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
I never understood the point of making the rookies wear high numbers. If you give them a roster spot out of training camp, might as well let them pick a low number.
I don't agree. It creates a distinction between surviving training camp and truly making the team. It's one of the team traditions I really like.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  #910
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Probably very off topic but not as bad as Gigy. Remember the topics in the forum back then? I remember posters were making jpegs with beach balls sheesh
I'd probably debate that, but at least under Giguere the Ducks had a capable back-up. More than capable, if we're being honest here. If Giguere struggled, we could toss Bryzgalov or Hiller out there, and know that we were in good hands. The same could not be said last season, when Hiller was struggling. With Hiller struggling, the Ducks really didn't have a good alternative, so what did they do? They tried to play through it, and the results were not pretty.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:59 PM
  #911
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I don't agree. It creates a distinction between surviving training camp and truly making the team. It's one of the team traditions I really like.
Ditto. I'm rather fond of it. A player has a reason to be proud he's sporting a lower number. It's something he earned.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
  #912
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,526
vCash: 500
I'm more worried about how much Palmieri will struggle offensively in his first full-ish season.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:04 PM
  #913
Ducksgo*
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'd probably debate that, but at least under Giguere the Ducks had a capable back-up. More than capable, if we're being honest here. If Giguere struggled, we could toss Bryzgalov or Hiller out there, and know that we were in good hands. The same could not be said last season, when Hiller was struggling. With Hiller struggling, the Ducks really didn't have a good alternative, so what did they do? They tried to play through it, and the results were not pretty.
Yupp Agreed and what did BB do? Release Bryz off waivers who got a inflated contract from Philly. One of Burkes rediculous mistakes. So your telling me a goalie with long term options couldn't have gotten anything in return?? Not even a draft pick? Unreal man unreal. We're super off topic btw just thought I would mention it. Atleast
we got Vish for a second. From NYI my minds all over the place regarding previous trades sorry Soj.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
  #914
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
I really thought Rakell had a shot, and I've pretty consistently mentioned that I feel he has a very pro-level game, but I have to say I'm still surprised at the look he's being given. Anaheim must really like what they see in him.

Palmieri and Holland seemed inevitable. Palmieri looked sharp last season, and Holland has really come into his own. Holland might see more time in the AHL, but I think he can lean on his talent level a little until he gets the hang of the NHL game. Really, with Holland, the question is probably more about whether he's getting enough minutes, because if he isn't the AHL may be the better option. Long-term, I think he has the potential to be our 2nd center.

Overall, I think with some of our young talent cracking their way into the NHL, we should see a fairly consistent improvement in our overall depth and talent level over the next few seasons. Considering the age of some of our players, including Fowler and Sbisa, I expect some ups and downs. Young players are notoriously inconsistent. But we have some veterans, we still have Selanne, not to mention one of the best top three forward groups in the NHL. That, combined with our blue line, which I think has real potential, and a healthy Hiller... I think this team can compete for a playoff spot.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
  #915
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'm more worried about how much Palmieri will struggle offensively in his first full-ish season.
I'm not that worried, actually. Your concern is probably valid, and I just might think more of Palmieri than you, but I really liked what I saw last season. I also think Palmieri will be hungry. I'm more concerned about bad penalties from him.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
  #916
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Yupp Agreed and what did BB do? Release Bryz off waivers who got a inflated contract from Philly. One of Burkes rediculous mistakes. So your telling me a goalie with long term options couldn't have gotten anything in return?? Not even a draft pick? Unreal man unreal. We're super off topic btw just thought I would mention it. Atleast
we got Vish for a second. From NYI my minds all over the place regarding previous trades sorry Soj.
I was unhappy with Bryz being put on waivers, but honestly, we just don't know what was going on behind the scenes. Bryz was still largely unproven as a legit #1 guy, and back-up goaltenders are a dime a dozen. Still, I would have expected to get something. Even a 7th round pick would have been something.

I'm okay with the Visnovsky trade. At the time, I would have liked to see one more year of him, to give him a chance to bounce back... but at the same time, his presence on the team also would have meant most of the defensemen on our depth chart all drop a spot. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I really think Murray felt it was time to give Fowler the reins on the offensive side of the game, and Sbisa played well enough to earn some more responsibility too. That, combined with the need to add some size to our blue line, and I think Murray had the right idea. Not to mention this whole ordeal with the NYI's. Sure, it may not have happened if we held on to him, but I'd rather get something for him than nothing at all.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 PM
  #917
Bodacious Wits
Castleton Snob
 
Bodacious Wits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castleton
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 50
Is Palmieri still technically a rookie?

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:17 PM
  #918
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I really thought Rakell had a shot, and I've pretty consistently mentioned that I feel he has a very pro-level game, but I have to say I'm still surprised at the look he's being given. Anaheim must really like what they see in him.

Palmieri and Holland seemed inevitable. Palmieri looked sharp last season, and Holland has really come into his own. Holland might see more time in the AHL, but I think he can lean on his talent level a little until he gets the hang of the NHL game. Really, with Holland, the question is probably more about whether he's getting enough minutes, because if he isn't the AHL may be the better option. Long-term, I think he has the potential to be our 2nd center.

Overall, I think with some of our young talent cracking their way into the NHL, we should see a fairly consistent improvement in our overall depth and talent level over the next few seasons. Considering the age of some of our players, including Fowler and Sbisa, I expect some ups and downs. Young players are notoriously inconsistent. But we have some veterans, we still have Selanne, not to mention one of the best top three forward groups in the NHL. That, combined with our blue line, which I think has real potential, and a healthy Hiller... I think this team can compete for a playoff spot.
Nice post. I agree completely. I think this will be an up and down season, but our talent will prevail and get us into the playoffs in the 5-8 seed range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm not that worried, actually. Your concern is probably valid, and I just might think more of Palmieri than you, but I really liked what I saw last season. I also think Palmieri will be hungry. I'm more concerned about bad penalties from him.
I agree with you here too. Playing with Getz and Perry, Palmieri is going to have tons of chances to score. Those two can clear space for him, and Getz will find him for easy goals.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  #919
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Is Palmieri still technically a rookie?
Technically, no, I don't believe so. He's had something like 28 or 29 games total, I think, over the course of two seasons. That kills any shot he has at the Calder.

Edit: That being said, while he doesn't qualify for the NHL's definition, it's hard not to think of him as one.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
  #920
Bodacious Wits
Castleton Snob
 
Bodacious Wits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castleton
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 50
It's the Calder I was thinking of. I still have leftover anger from Kariya losing out to Forsberg in the last 48 game season.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:28 PM
  #921
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Exit Dose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 23,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'm not that worried, actually. Your concern is probably valid, and I just might think more of Palmieri than you, but I really liked what I saw last season. I also think Palmieri will be hungry. I'm more concerned about bad penalties from him.
It has more to do with inexperience. Holland, KP, and Rakell all have the talent to be stars, but there are always struggles in the early going.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
  #922
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Yeah, he's just played too many games to be eligible. It's too bad, too, because the Calder is very much an award of opportunity, and Palmieri should get plenty of that.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
  #923
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 35,807
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It has more to do with inexperience. Holland, KP, and Rakell all have the talent to be stars, but there are always struggles in the early going.
Yeah, that's fair. I expect Palmieri to run hot and cold throughout the season, but I also think that playing with the twins will probably pad his stats a bit through the colder stretches. When it's all said and done, and I think we'll probably look back and be pleased with the results, but there will be an understanding that at least some of his production was a product of Getz and Pears. That just seems inevitable to me.

Edit: The key, for me, is that they don't need to carry him; that Palmieri can stand alone as a player. Maybe not excel quite yet, but play well enough that he belongs. If he can't do that, then I'd hope someone else got the opportunity.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
  #924
Bodacious Wits
Castleton Snob
 
Bodacious Wits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castleton
Posts: 15,999
vCash: 50
I think a 15 goal season would be a successful top line audition for Palmieri.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
  #925
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I think a 15 goal season would be a successful top line audition for Palmieri.
15 would be great. That's just under .32 goals per game. Not a bad rate for a young goal scorer at all.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.