Notices

Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Old
01-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Corey Perry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
yeah because there was only one of those at camp. I was the taller guy in the Admirals Palmieri Jersey
I actually only saw 3-4 people wearing that jersey, and none of them were as pretty as me.

I think I saw you, btw.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHockey View Post
ew....thats a dodgy answer..
At least Getzlaf seems a bit more straight forward.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Bonino had almost identical AHL production playing with less talent 2 years ago as Holland does this year. He's also a playmaker who was paired with players who couldn't finish, and in spite of scoring 0 points in 26 games was only a -3, meaning he was at least defensively responsible. The fact he scored at the same rate as Holland in the AHL then did nothing in the NHL is EXACTLY why Holland belongs on a lower line until he proves he's better.

I'm not talking future, I'm taking now.
The AHL was a much harder league to play in this year than it was 2 years ago. Holland's numbers this season are very similar to Schenn, Couturier, Nyqvist and a few others who are being pencilled into important roles on their respective teams. I also think Holland's skillset will translate better than Bonino's did he's already ahead of Bonino in every area except defensive play and playmaking ability.

I agree on easing guys in and I was hoping neither Holland or Bonino would have to suit up as the 2C this season. I just don't think Bonino will ever be a decent 2C and while Holland has yet to earn it I'm hoping he'll at least be given a shot but from Boudreaus comments it sounds like it's set in stone. To be honest, we're probably better off with another year of Koivu slotting in there than either of them.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:06 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Perry was really vague on contract questions.

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Add Perry on contract stuff: "I have a job here to do first. And thatís to go out and play hockey and help this team win."

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Perry: "Iím just going out and playing hockey. Iím not worried about it. Iím not thinking about it. Just let that fall where it falls."

Kinda scares me a little bit, seeing as Getzlaf at least alluded to wanting to stay here.
Gahhhh.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about holding onto Pears. I just hope Bob has the nerve to trade them if they're still being sketchy about signing near the trade deadline. I don't want to see those guys walk the way that Suter and Parise did. We need to get something if they're planning to leave.
Totally agree. Bob needs to have a plan. If he doesn't feel coinfident he can re-sign Perry, then trade him

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:09 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

This team has no where to go but up. I'm fine with Bonino getting the shot at 2C because he has two great linemates and it's not like Koivu was exactly getting the job done. Now Koivu has a more defined role for his current skill set which should help his game/team.

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Bonino scored 18 points in 50 games last year and his offensive production was very inconsistent. He proved he belonged in the NHL but he was not a 2nd line caliber player. I also think Holland is much further along than Bonino was 2 years ago when Bonino couldn't put up a single point in 26 NHL games. I agree pencilling in a rookie as your 2C is playing for a lottery pick but I don't think pencilling Bonino in is much better.
i dont know if you watched those 26 games but he had to have been THE most unlucky guy in the world during that time. there were so many games he could've registered a point had there been ANY sort of luck. honestly he was a lot more effective than the stats indicated imo. and apparently hes put in a lot of work in the off-season. Honestly I'm not too worried about him. I think he'll be ok. Not as good as we hope but not terrible either. Starts off rough and improves throughout the season is my guess. =

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:38 PM
SoCalHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
At least Getzlaf seems a bit more straight forward.
Yeah. I don't worry at all about Getzlaf... not in the least bit. And even before these statements I didn't worry too much about Perry either. I feel like he has it good here. He is away from the media, plays on a solid team with good friends, and will get paid well. But... it is what it is. If he does leave.. I hope it's through trade.

SoCalHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHockey View Post
Yeah. I don't worry at all about Getzlaf... not in the least bit. And even before these statements I didn't worry too much about Perry either. I feel like he has it good here. He is away from the media, plays on a solid team with good friends, and will get paid well. But... it is what it is. If he does leave.. I hope it's through trade.
Absolutely. It would sting horribly to lose one of these guys and get nothing back. Bob better either sign them or try to bring something back in a trade.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
i dont know if you watched those 26 games but he had to have been THE most unlucky guy in the world during that time. there were so many games he could've registered a point had there been ANY sort of luck. honestly he was a lot more effective than the stats indicated imo. and apparently hes put in a lot of work in the off-season. Honestly I'm not too worried about him. I think he'll be ok. Not as good as we hope but not terrible either. Starts off rough and improves throughout the season is my guess. =
I watched the games. He wasn't that unlucky - he should have had a few points but he wasn't ready offensively at that point to play top 9 minutes in the NHL. I'm more comfortable knowing he's going to be sheltered by Ryan and Teemu (as I said earlier if they can make Andrew Ebbett look decent then Bonino should be fine) but I still don't think he is or ever will be an ideal 2C in the NHL. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong - but outside of his playmaking ability I don't see any top 6 qualities in Bonino.

Also re the Perry situation. I agree if he's not going to re-sign you have to trade him. We can't afford to not get anything back for a guy of his caliber. I think Getzlaf will re-sign though.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

vCash: 50
Definitely not what I wanted to hear from Perry, but he's never been the most outspoken guy. I just hope something happens.

Not worried about Getz though, who I believe is just a bit more important to sign just because he's that big, skilled # 1C.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

icemancometh: Hampus Lindholm (concussion) is in Anaheim and will be re-evaluated by Ducks medical staff tomorrow. Not cleared yet to return.

edit: just saw Kalvinators already posted it

Last edited by Gibson Les Palms: 01-13-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYenik View Post
Yeah, they just kept leading people in until about half the lower bowl was filled.

I know I said, I'd post pictures, but none of them came out all that good. Did anyone get a hat? They had boxes upon boxes of hats, probably made for a promotional night that never happened.

EDIT: As for my own scouting, nothing interesting or out of the ordinary stood out from the regulars. Fasth looked good as well as Gibson, Allen had some good shots, I thought Etem looked like he was skating much better from the last video I saw of him, and Scotty didn't look like he knew what to do as an assistant coach at a practice.

I wanted to yell out to him to take a shift on a drill.

I was only there for the first session but I got a hat and took some pics. Not great quality but I will try to post some by tomorrow if I don't get it done tonight. I just got home from being out all day. I also plan to go tomorrow and hopefully will get some more and better pics.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:19 PM
Jspiral

Quote:
I watched the games. He wasn't that unlucky - he should have had a few points but he wasn't ready offensively at that point to play top 9 minutes in the NHL. I'm more comfortable knowing he's going to be sheltered by Ryan and Teemu (as I said earlier if they can make Andrew Ebbett look decent then Bonino should be fine) but I still don't think he is or ever will be an ideal 2C in the NHL. I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong - but outside of his playmaking ability I don't see any top 6 qualities in Bonino.

Also re the Perry situation. I agree if he's not going to re-sign you have to trade him. We can't afford to not get anything back for a guy of his caliber. I think Getzlaf will re-sign though.
Out of curiosity and for the sake of discussion, what qualities do top 6 players have that Bonino doesn't?

I ask because I feel like I'm one of the very few people who are high on Bonino. The most notable reason is his ability to judge time and space. He seems like a slow player but after watching him closely last season, I decided it's not so much that he is slow but that he slows the game down....especially when he has the puck. A great example is this goal from last season. He's calm and cool with the puck and seems to be able to control and protect the puck even while standing still and under a lot of pressure. Simply put...he doesn't panic.

To me, the number 1 reason that players don't often succeed in the NHL is because they can't get out of their own way mentally. It seems Bonino has jumped that hurdle and that has me excited to see him play with Bobby and Teemu.

Hopefully he really worked on his faceoffs during the offseason and lockout.

Jspiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Selanne138

The best hope I have for bringing back Perry is that Getzlaf resigns during the season and convinces him to resign also. I think that could be our biggest bargaining chip, if the two are as close as everyone seems to think they are.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about holding onto Pears. I just hope Bob has the nerve to trade them if they're still being sketchy about signing near the trade deadline. I don't want to see those guys walk the way that Suter and Parise did. We need to get something if they're planning to leave.
This.

He had the balls to pull the Pronger trade, and this is another step above that. Id at least respect him if he traded him if he feels that Perry doesn't want to come back.

Also hypothetical: Were in 6th at the deadline. Do you move Perry?

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:31 PM
RJQuack

Just a bunch of cliches from Perry there really... There's still concern but not over that..

How did PL3 look? Any way we sign him/gets playing time? He was an abosolute goon in Baie-Comeau when I watched him lol.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:36 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:

Not saying you're wrong, but what do you see Bonino becoming? 3C? 4C?

Personally, I think he's going to be right in between a 2C and a 3C. I think he'll make a very nice career for himself

Old
01-13-2013, 11:55 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

There's plenty of room on the Bonerwagon with me, if anyone would like to join me. I think he's got a 30-pt (shortened) season in him this year.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:02 AM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
There's plenty of room on the Bonerwagon with me, if anyone would like to join me. I think he's got a 30-pt (shortened) season in him this year.
30 points out of Bones would be huge

Old
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
They aren't going to set a line based on potential though. If Bonino falters, I'm sure Holland will get his chance.
Worst case scenario is Koivu centers Ryan and Selanne, I am hoping Holland gets the chance to center them. most importantly I want to see how Bobby Ryan carries a line

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:08 AM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
Worst case scenario is Koivu centers Ryan and Selanne, I am hoping Holland gets the chance to center them. most importantly I want to see how Bobby Ryan carries a line
What exactly do you mean carries a line? He's going to be playing on a line with Selanne. I don't think he's going to have to carry that line. He's going to have to play good for them to be effective, but I doubt he'll have to carry them

Old
01-14-2013, 12:13 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
What exactly do you mean carries a line? He's going to be playing on a line with Selanne. I don't think he's going to have to carry that line. He's going to have to play good for them to be effective, but I doubt he'll have to carry them
He's the best player on the line, this is what he's wanted, a chance to anchor a line here's his chance

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
I'll sport a 30 point ***** with you.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Gibson Les Palms
Jinxes aren't real

At least we have options at 2C this year... Bonino, Koivu, and Holland could all play there

Old
01-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
Definitely not what I wanted to hear from Perry, but he's never been the most outspoken guy. I just hope something happens.

Not worried about Getz though, who I believe is just a bit more important to sign just because he's that big, skilled # 1C.
I expected Perry to say exactly what he said. I wouldn't read too much in to it either way.

Sean Garrity is online now   Reply With Quote