Anaheim Ducks 12/13 Training camp

Old
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
At least we have options at 2C this year... Bonino, Koivu, and Holland could all play there
Yeah, better than last year. But still, Bob has not addressed the need at 2C. It's starting to get annoying that we've been looking for 2C for so long. Which is why I'm praying that one of Holland or Bonino steps up and becomes a good 2C for us

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:01 AM
defer

vCash: 50
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing, but this is definitely their time to shine.

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 AM
rollingdux

My training camp photos -> http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDB6Lpp

I'm editing the video, so i'll have it done later tonight or tomorrow morning.

rollingdux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Yeah, better than last year. But still, Bob has not addressed the need at 2C. It's starting to get annoying that we've been looking for 2C for so long. Which is why I'm praying that one of Holland or Bonino steps up and becomes a good 2C for us
I know you would prefer seeing BM do something at 2C but I guess I'm of the school that says when you have a Bonino that shows promise and a Holland who, while perhaps a shade behind Bonino in development, also looks promising, you have to give them a chance. It's why we have a development system. If both guys had already flopped with the Ducks and BM still insisted on staying with them I would be opposed. But at this juncture I think Bonino has show he really deserves the chance at the job. And the door is open for Holland as well.

If both Bonino and Holland bomb out this year I will jon you in calling for BM to look outside for that elusive #2C.

Last edited by Eddie Shack: 01-14-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:37 AM
Eddie Shack
Go Ducks!

Last edited by Eddie Shack: 12-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:45 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

Jesus Christ Bryan Allen is huge...wow

Thanks for the pictures btw

Old
01-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Leblond is a legit heavyweight!
Competition for Staubitz so no easy walk in to the team... Leblond as a fighter > Staubitz

Sign him please.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:27 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspiral View Post
Out of curiosity and for the sake of discussion, what qualities do top 6 players have that Bonino doesn't?

I ask because I feel like I'm one of the very few people who are high on Bonino. The most notable reason is his ability to judge time and space. He seems like a slow player but after watching him closely last season, I decided it's not so much that he is slow but that he slows the game down....especially when he has the puck. A great example is this goal from last season. He's calm and cool with the puck and seems to be able to control and protect the puck even while standing still and under a lot of pressure. Simply put...he doesn't panic.

To me, the number 1 reason that players don't often succeed in the NHL is because they can't get out of their own way mentally. It seems Bonino has jumped that hurdle and that has me excited to see him play with Bobby and Teemu.

Hopefully he really worked on his faceoffs during the offseason and lockout.
His shot, skating ability, size and strength are all below average for a top 6 guy. I agree with you about his hockey sense, I'm a big fan of his hockey IQ but I don't think it's good enough to overcome his faults. Koivu is still a better passer, a better skater and has a higher hockey IQ than Bonino and he wasn't cutting it as a 2C last season.

Quote:
Not saying you're wrong, but what do you see Bonino becoming? 3C? 4C?

Personally, I think he's going to be right in between a 2C and a 3C. I think he'll make a very nice career for himself
IMO at his best he could be a below average 2C on a team lacking down the middle but I think his upside is a decent 3C.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Finnpin
"internet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
cheers thanks. Rumour was he was staying in Finland.
What rumors...Koivu returned to OC couple weeks ago.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:41 AM
defer

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|ANA|home

I thought Murray's response to the 4th question was interesting

defer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:59 AM
AngelDuck
Rak 'em up

BB and BM seem super high on Bonino. I hope he really did improve this offseason.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:08 AM
mightyquack
Everybody panic

I don't think Bonino's size is a negative, Andy McDonald was what, 5'6 or something? And he was a great top 6 center.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:08 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Looks like I nailed the top9 exactly. The D-pairings were all over the place though.

quentez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
Markus078

Quote:
BB and BM seem super high on Bonino. I hope he really did improve this offseason.
Honestly the only concern about Bonino was/is his skating and strenght. If he addressed and improved both he has the upside to play as a 2nd line center or a 3rd in the worst case. Hockey wise he is a great center with a very good defensivly play. And he is clutch, just look at his college career.

I expect him to play an improved role as well and I think he will excel.

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
I don't think Bonino's size is a negative, Andy McDonald was what, 5'6 or something? And he was a great top 6 center.
Andy McDonald is miles ahead in every offensive category. Like Paul said, Koivu is pretty much better than Bonino at all aspects of the game and he's now demoted to the 3rd line.

Bonino might have the tools, but so many other aspects than just skill comes into play. Confidence... Consistancy... Chemistry with linemates... Being able to react at a higher pace as he's going to face better competition... Etc...

There's plenty of guys in the Minors/Europe/wherever that have good vision and passing skills at their level but that wouldn't have the confidence or puck poise to play a top six role in the NHL, leading to decreased vision and less accurate passes.

Let's see if Bonino has it in him. At least he's surrounded by good players, so hopefully they can get off a good start and Bonino can build some confidence in his new role.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 08:14 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
1) Trading Perry vs keeping him. Business-wise, it probably makes sense to keep him. Even if he plans to leave, if the team is in playoff contention then it might be worth it to go with the extra revenue and good-will than the trade return. Basically I hope our position is clear-cut. Either we are really good or we're really bad. The worst case would be we miss the playoffs AND Perry leaves.

2) I'll hop on the Bonerwagon. I didn't do the prediction thread yet, but he was my pick for someone that I think will impress. In terms of stats and stuff, Bonino and Holland seem pretty even now. But I just have a feeling. It's encouraging how the staff talks about the work he put in. Because his biggest flaws are relatively easy to correct with hard work (skating, strength, etc). His biggest strengths are the hardest things to improve (hockey sense, vision, hands).

That said, I would prefer to have a backup plan if neither of the young guys pan out. I guess that could be Koivu. Two general philosophies: 1) You can expect about half of the young guys that you think will pan out to actually pan out. 2) If you pencil in a young guy, it's good to have a veteran who's not capable of filling that in full-time as insurance. So if/when the young player has an off week/month, the vet can step in. So in this case we have two capable kids (Holland and Bonino) AND we have Koivu as a backup. I actually don't feel too bad about the situation.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

I agree with the ones who say size isn't the issue with Bonino. It's his foot speed and mobility, and unlike size that is something he can improve.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:37 PM
rollingdux

Players come out onto the ice, Tim Ryan addresses fans, and some of the first drills.

Uploading more...

Old
01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I agree with the ones who say size isn't the issue with Bonino. It's his foot speed and mobility, and unlike size that is something he can improve.
Actually I think it is neither, his biggest weakness has been inability to finish. Call it unlucky, but I'm really hoping BobM has a plan B that just doesn't include reshuffling our centers to different lines.

I'm all for giving Holland/Bonino a chance, but I'm guessing Perry is probably tired of playing for a continual loser, and will move on if we don't get something going this season.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Ducksgo*

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Actually I think it is neither, his biggest weakness has been inability to finish. Call it unlucky, but I'm really hoping BobM has a plan B that just doesn't include reshuffling our centers to different lines.

I'm all for giving Holland/Bonino a chance, but I'm guessing Perry is probably tired of playing for a continual loser, and will move on if we don't get something going this season.
We're so screwed if you're correct with Perry. But if you're right we may get a sizeable return for him on deadline day like a Kovy deal.

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post

I'd definitely say that Bonino's mobility and foot speed was a disadvantage in the past(it remains to be seen whether it is in the present). Like others have said, Bonino appears to have a pretty impressive hockey IQ. He has that knack for going to the right places. However, at the same time, I saw a lot of times where he just wasn't able to get to those places quickly enough, especially when he was in a more reactionary position and having to chase.

If, indeed, he can improve his mobility, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the increased finish you'd see in his game. It's just no good to him to think the game at a high level, if he can't get to the places on the ice he needs to be.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Bodacious Wits
Ice Cream Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I'd definitely say that Bonino's mobility and foot speed was a disadvantage in the past(it remains to be seen whether it is in the present). Like others have said, Bonino appears to have a pretty impressive hockey IQ. He has that knack for going to the right places. However, at the same time, I saw a lot of times where he just wasn't able to get to those places quickly enough, especially when he was in a more reactionary position and having to chase.

If, indeed, he can improve his mobility, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the increased finish you'd see in his game. It's just no good to him to think the game at a high level, if he can't get to the places on the ice he needs to be.
Bonino never was much of a finisher, even in college. As others have said, I think that's because he's not often in great shooting position as the play develops faster than he moves. We've seen his the puck skills and IQ to finish the opportunities he does get.

His lack of mobility is less of a hindrance to his playmaking, which is top notch IMO (and I'm not convinced that Koivu is a better playmaker than Bonino anymore). I think we're about to see Bonino embark on a string of 45-60 pt seasons, although I doubt he tops out at more than 20 goals.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:40 PM
rollingdux

More camp videos...

Old
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Bodacious Wits
Ice Cream Bunny

Thanks for posting those.

Bodacious Wits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Kalvinators
GDT record: 5-4-0

Thanks for videos

Some notes:

* Yesterday Bruce stated that today we`ll adress neutral zone play.
* Per Stephens, Bruce said that he likes Allen - Fowler to start
* No line changes

We`re getting closer guys! Anyone going today? (Anaheim Ice)

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote