HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"I hate Brad Boyes"

Old
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
periferal

vCash: 500
"I hate Brad Boyes"

If you find yourself saying this comment over and over...Welcome to the "I hate Brad Boyes" support group.

I'm more than elated we won last night. Elated. That is the foundation of emotion from which I make this post.

Now...

"I hate Brad Boyes." And yet...It's such a simple problem to solve. TAKE HIM OFF THE FIRST LINE ALREADY AND MOVE HIM TO THE FOURTH. Why has this not happened yet? We move Bailey up and JT's best friend down, but Boyes stays where he is? I want to hear someone ask capuano this question point blank and hear the answer.

Boyes' "defense" basically cost us two goals last night. His work ethic is average at best. Offers nothing in the way of toughness. Is not a leader despite being a veteran. And the one thing he should bring, offense, he barely does.

So again...Why is he on the first line?

Why are we not creating lines based on a combination of both effort and skill. If we did Okposo should take Boyes' spot and he should be on the 4th line with MacDonald and Aucoin.

Someone help me here. Serenity now. My only salvation is that he won't be with the team next year. I just hope he doesn't cost us this series now.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
DoubleA45

vCash: 250
I dislike Boyes as well but he did forecheck and create the malkin turnover that led to the Tavares tying goal. Even though it looked like Malkin just shot it into his shins

DoubleA45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I don't know what he was doing on the Neal goal. Just floating out there.

Anyway, you put Okposo on the 1st line, you basically lose the ability to have 2 scoring lines and you hand matchups to the Pens on a silver platter. Boyes on the 4th line would be a worse disaster, since he's not tenacious nor positionally sound.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:38 AM
gramatanboy

That Boyes won't be back next year is the only saving grace that we have at the moment. Hopefully, his play will improve slightly the rest of the way and at least look like a marginal NHL player--but don't hold your breath!!

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post

Anyway, you put Okposo on the 1st line, you basically lose the ability to have 2 scoring lines and you hand matchups to the Pens on a silver platter. Boyes on the 4th line would be a worse disaster, since he's not tenacious nor positionally sound.
I hate him too (but full credit to creating the chance that led to the Tavares goal), but Richie is right. At least the lines are balanced better now. He still needs to go in the offseason, but this is the best this team could do at the moment. Gotta roll with it, hope for the best, and try not to smash the television when he ***** the bed.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 08:53 AM
malPHONEY

I sort of agree with you but I don't really hate him. I mean he has actually doled out a couple of big hits and helped Tavares score the GW.

malPHONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
Moulstache

Boyes drives me nuts watching him.. You know he has talent, but it just never comes out consistently. I was singing the same tune about Okposo before him waking up for the playoffs.

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:08 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
Really? The Boyes hate is getting a little ridiculous. He had a great game yesterday and played well in games 2 and 3. He had a good season overall, keeping his role in consideration. It's a bit silly to hate a role player working on a cheap one year contract for the sin of being a role player.

Now, I'm not particularly a fan. I'd have preferred him off the first line as well throughout most of the season, although the attempted second line in the beginning of the season (Grabner/Nielsen/Boyes) was a dismal failure. I hope we upgrade in the offseason. But isn't the carping on him a little silly?

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
Moulstache

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
Really? The Boyes hate is getting a little ridiculous. He had a great game yesterday and played well in games 2 and 3. He had a good season overall, keeping his role in consideration. It's a bit silly to hate a role player working on a cheap one year contract for the sin of being a role player.

Now, I'm not particularly a fan. I'd have preferred him off the first line as well throughout most of the season, although the attempted second line in the beginning of the season (Grabner/Nielsen/Boyes) was a dismal failure. I hope we upgrade in the offseason. But isn't the carping on him a little silly?
I see your point.. I wouldn't word it as "hate" for the guy.. I guess it's more "frustration". I guess there was a little hope that he would get back into the form he showed in St Louis.

Moulstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleA45 View Post
I dislike Boyes as well but he did forecheck and create the malkin turnover that led to the Tavares tying goal. Even though it looked like Malkin just shot it into his shins
This....

But I still cant stand brad Boyes...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:

This.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
If you find yourself saying this comment over and over...Welcome to the "I hate Brad Boyes" support group.
I'm in the group!

Can't stand his play, even though he's been FAR better since game 1, he's still far worse than what a first line player should be, and more importantly, the effort level is still completely unacceptable for the playoffs!

I'd make him a healthy scratch and play Joensuu.

That might sound extreme, but it's not at all. I'm far more confident in Joensuu/Ullstrom out there than with Boyes. He's just so lazy and slow and he only started touching opponents when Cappy threatened to bench him (I know Staple didn't name names but it's CLEAR that Boyes was one of the guys!)

The team is better off without him, in these playoffs AND next year.

But I'm not greedy, I'd settle with him being moved to the 4th line for now and definitely off the PP. The Pens are very aggressive on the PP and Boyes is far too soft on the puck and his passing/decisions are just horrible.

I also agree with RDC in balancing the scoring so I'd probably keep KO where he is.

so, let's try this Cappy:

Bailey - Tavares - McDonald (love this line. McDonald brings EXACTLY what Boyes does NOT bring)
Moulson - Nielsen - Okposo (love this line)
Grabner - Cikizas - Martin (love this line)
Ullstrom - Aucoin - Joensuu (like Aucoin's intelligent game and with two big bodies around him, they could make noise!)

alternate:
Ullstrom - Aucoin - Boyes on the 4th line. I can live with that. Both Aucoin and Ullstrom balance Boyes' well (ie. they can cover up for his weaknesses)

#beLIeve

WARRIOR-LINEUP!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Macch

Moulson is starting to get into Boyes territory. He can't skate and is a huge liability when the islanders aren't in the offensive zone.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:

Wow, I was thinking about the Sutter goal. What the hell was Boyes doing?

But at least he's been giving and taking this series.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
niccolo19

I am not a BB fan either but did any of you catch the 3rd period last night? Streits 2nd goal was a result of Boyes keeping the puck in the zone. JT GW goal was due to Boyes stripping the puck from malkin and feeding JT.

I didnt like his lazy backchecking when Neal scored, however look at Sutters goal, big hit by cooke behind the net and JT has to pick up the other center Sutter. watch the replay.

Look at the stat line for Boyes vs Tavares. hits takeaways assists points plus minus all go towards boyes. They both made a mistake that led to a goal. He played well last night, lets try to be a little more objective!

Last edited by niccolo19: 05-08-2013 at 11:50 AM.
niccolo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:43 AM
niccolo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Wow, I was thinking about the Sutter goal. What the hell was Boyes doing?
you mean what was JT doing not picking up his guy? lol

Old
05-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo19 View Post
you mean what was JT doing not picking up his guy? lol
Ah, so are we playing man to man? Dude was sitting high-slot on the LW with both defensemen engaged. Looks like the RW job for me. Am I wrong?

Old
05-08-2013, 11:49 AM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

boyes is an extremely dumb player, but he hustles more than moulson and actually has the speed to forecheck

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramatanboy View Post
That Boyes won't be back next year is the only saving grace that we have at the moment. Hopefully, his play will improve slightly the rest of the way and at least look like a marginal NHL player--but don't hold your breath!!
Don't be so sure he won't be back next season. Anyway, I never disliked Boyes like most of you guys do, just like I never disliked PAP like most people did, until he was gone. Boyes had 3 assists last night, is hitting like most non hitting Islanders (Moulson, Grabner, Boyes) are, and he's working hard. I remember a TON of people complaining about PAP, now Boyes is the target. Some people will never be happy, he's playing pretty well, producing, and hitting and playing hard, I have no problem with Boyes.

Would I prefer Nino or Strome in his place, hell yeah, but we are winning, let's enjoy it.

If it's anyone who we should be unhappy with, it's Nabby, he's been horrendous. Love the guy, but have to be honest, even if he played half as good as he did towards the end of the season, we'd be up 3-1. Three of the four goals last night were directly bad plays/angles by Nabby.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Ah, so are we playing man to man? Dude was sitting high-slot on the LW with both defensemen engaged. Looks like the RW job for me. Am I wrong?
sort of. cant remember exactly what happened there. if boyes is first in zone and is supporting the puck in the corner (usually the c) then jt needs to recognize that and cover for boyes. Boyes responsibility is his wings dman. i think boyes thought he was playing the C role, bot was lost in no mans land, jt didnt help him much

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
niccolo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
sort of. cant remember exactly what happened there. if boyes is first in zone and is supporting the puck in the corner (usually the c) then jt needs to recognize that and cover for boyes. Boyes responsibility is his wings dman. i think boyes thought he was playing the C role, bot was lost in no mans land, jt didnt help him much
looked like boyes got back for JT(whos stick was being held at other end) was late coming back. Carkner gets laid out by cooke, Streit takes both on for a sec, boyes goes to center of ice looks at Sutter sees JT skating to him, Boyes looks away, JT peels off from Sutter??? but I agree that Boyes should have pressured puck carrier possibly but it happened so fast and carker got up fast. they looked to be in good position if JT didn't peel off Sutter. He went right to him and just peeled off, prob trying to stop a passing lane to the open point you cant see on camera.

So JT should have picked up Sutter Boyes had to protect front of net since carkner went down and streit was behind net and JT was late getting back. Sutter came in late and didnt go to the center, JT saw him, peeled off.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:19 PM
niccolo19

But really both goals BB was getting back for JT who was slow getting back. What about Strait on malkins goal? Line change, he brain strait decides to carry puck in zone down right wing, throw in through the crease to no onr (maybe it was a shot? It hit MAF) Franz/bench miscommunicate line change and 2v1 other way. Why is Strait bringing the puck in there and throwing it towards the net? I didnt like that play, I remember seeing him zoom in and thinking what the hell is he doing get back on D.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccolo19 View Post
But really both goals BB was getting back for JT who was slow getting back. What about Strait on malkins goal? Line change, he brain strait decides to carry puck in zone down right wing, throw in through the crease to no onr (maybe it was a shot? It hit MAF) Franz/bench miscommunicate line change and 2v1 other way. Why is Strait bringing the puck in there and throwing it towards the net? I didnt like that play, I remember seeing him zoom in and thinking what the hell is he doing get back on D.
That screw up was on Nielsen and the bench. I don't think Nielsen and Okposo should've been out again so soon after being stuck on the ice for all of the PK less than 2 minutes eariler, but Nielsen also needs to be more aware of what's happening around him so that he doesn't come off too early. The d can pinch but a forward has to cover for the pinching player if the play comes back the other way.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
goalsniper91

Fact of the matter is...instead of playing the blame game, these guys have to be accountable for themselves and each other. Someone should have been on sutter and someone has to be on Neal. No exceptions. Breakdowns on these plays are leading to costly goals. Penguins will score. They need no help. Make them work for their goals. Last night for most of the 3rd was a perfect example.

goalsniper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Fair enough that it should be JT"s responsibility, because Boyes was back first. But Boyes wasn't engaged down low either. He was just standing there, looking.

Perhaps neither guy understood their assignments. Well, I guess it's water under the bridge cuz they won, but I hope that won't happen again.