HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Behind the Posters

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2012, 02:29 AM
  #676
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
We wouldn't even allow it anyways.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:35 AM
  #677
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Michael Russo

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM
  #678
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Nice one.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
  #679
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Michael Russo
RussosRantsxxx. Let the Strib go nuts with useless cease and desists.

Like we all don't hit it multiple times per day.

geowild is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
  #680
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,594
vCash: 500
You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.

thestonedkoala is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
  #681
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Ok...

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
  #682
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.
We had to. Wild message boards were even worse. Poorly maintained then you have some poster posting 20 new threads of useless crap just to ruin the experience for everyone.

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
  #683
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.
Tsk, tsk, careful with the stereotypes. I never did any such thing. I don't recall Angelina or IWF doing so either. But if you have the evidence as it applies to actual recent ads, by all means bring it.

I'd guess you're talking about a couple other people who have actually already been here for quite some time. But, really, no need for me to attempt to read your mind --you're right here, tell us who you are specfically pointing the finger of shame at.


Last edited by geowild: 06-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.
geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:13 AM
  #684
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
I may have ripped it a bit many years ago, but I think it was after reading something on here that threw me for a major loop. Can't even recall what it was. Those were my 20's though. We all do crazy things in our 20's. Honestly though, there was a time when I never thought I'd leave the official board. It was like home. And even though I checked this place out in 2008 before the meltdown of the official site, I didn't feel the need to stay. Was having too much fun over there.

This girl was very, very wrong. Lesson learned. It didn't take much for that place to get destroyed. Now I'm eating crow over here and loving it.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
  #685
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I Honestly though, there was a time when I never thought I'd leave the official board. It was like home.
That's the thing. Finding somewhere you're comfortable and settling down should not be proof of criticism of anywhere else. Just proof you're comfortable where you are. I think it is a shame the "official" forum has horrible software, worse maintenance, and even worse than that moderation. But it is what it is, and eventually I just came to realize that patience had turned into enabling. So here I am somewhere better, even with the inevitable discomfort of adjusting to somewhere new. Obviously quite a few people got to that place before I did --I am kind of stubborn.

geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
  #686
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
That's the thing. Finding somewhere you're comfortable and settling down should not be proof of criticism of anywhere else. Just proof you're comfortable where you are. I think it is a shame the "official" forum has horrible software, worse maintenance, and even worse than that moderation. But it is what it is, and eventually I just came to realize that patience had turned into enabling. So here I am somewhere better, even with the inevitable discomfort of adjusting to somewhere new. Obviously quite a few people got to that place before I did --I am kind of stubborn.
I use to be against having mods over on the official boards. The freedom was nice. Again, that opinion has quickly changed. Without mods over there, it turned into a street fight....high school drama. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to disagree and have good debates, as well as razzing each other, but there is a line between having fun and seriously fighting. When you can no longer talk hockey, because there's pizzing matches every 3-5 posts, then what's the point? There's also the issue of spammers and bugs that took longer than necessary to get fixed, because nobody is really in charge of that place.

JMO, but the mods here give us rather long leashes. They're actually fans who participate in the discussions just as much as we do. They started off in the same place we did on here. They're not some stiff sitting behind a computer at the team office that's only available from 9 to 5. Any tech problems get addressed pretty dang fast no matter what time of day it is, and there are no spammers hi-jacking a thread. It's night and day comparing the two.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
  #687
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
JMO, but the mods here give us rather long leashes. Any tech problems get addressed pretty dang fast no matter what time of day it is, and there are no spammers hi-jacking a thread. It's night and day comparing the two.
You know, I'm here 24/7.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:34 AM
  #688
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
You know, I'm here 24/7.
Well you kinda have to be, since none of us can be trusted.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
  #689
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Falness is a nice radio/pondcast guy, but he has no business being admin of an internet forum. No business at all.

I've been a mod, a super (global) mod, and an admin on both phpbb and vbulletin. It's an acquired skillset that comes over years and being part of good mod teams over years. He's got an assigned job he almost certainly never wanted in the first place, and no experience to know how to do it or grow a team to do it for him.

That he's doing it in the first place is part of the evidence the higher-ups don't care, or at least don't know how to care in an effective manner in this context.

geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:43 AM
  #690
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,873
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Can we all agree that we're like a big family here and that's what makes HF Wild a great place to be?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:44 AM
  #691
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Falness is a nice radio/pondcast guy, but he has no business being admin of an internet forum. No business at all.

I've been a mod, a super (global) mod, and an admin on both phpbb and vbulletin. It's an acquired skillset that comes over years and being part of good mod teams over years. He's got an assigned job he almost certainly never wanted in the first place, and no experience to know how to do it or grow a team to do it for him.

That he's doing it in the first place is part of the evidence the higher-ups don't care, or at least don't know how to care.
Absolutely agree. Falness is a great guy, but shouldn't be anywhere near that board. In fact, I think he gave up a couple years ago. There was a time when he did keep all of us in line. There were some unwritten rules over there, and you'd pay a price for breaking them. He was lurking a lot. But then it all changed, and you could get away with murder.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
  #692
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 14,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.
And most of us still bash the writing that comes from HF...

TaLoN is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
  #693
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Can we all agree that we're like a big family here and that's what makes HF Wild a great place to be?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear.
Well, we were family over there too at one point. Can't turn my back on that. But it is what it is, and thankfully many have made the transfer. Now you're stuck with us. Good luck with that.

Wait, if we're one big family over here, does this mean that the mods are like our adoptive parents?

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:00 AM
  #694
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Can we all agree that we're like a big family here and that's what makes HF Wild a great place to be?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear.
Kum-ba-ya. . . .

geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
  #695
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Absolutely agree. Falness is a great guy, but shouldn't be anywhere near that board. In fact, I think he gave up a couple years ago. There was a time when he did keep all of us in line. There were some unwritten rules over there, and you'd pay a price for breaking them. He was lurking a lot. But then it all changed, and you could get away with murder.
I don't disagree, but if he'd actually known what he was doing, he'd have known he needed to build a team of volunteers. . . he had years to do it. Worse than not doing it, I saw no evidence he even recognized he needed to do it.

But even then, that software and shared hosting is horrible. Never any evidence he ever recognized that from experience elsewhere or knew how to fight to get something better.

geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 01:14 AM
  #696
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,747
vCash: 500
Asking one person to run any forum (especially on an official site like that during the season) is just asking for trouble. Like you said, it takes a team. It's crazy. One of the busiest times for any team forum is when that team is actually playing a game. Yet on game nights, he has his main job to do on the radio and so forth. It doesn't make sense why he had to do it alone.

NHL1674 is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
  #697
geowild
Mostly Harmless
 
geowild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northwest 'burbs
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Like many of us, I show up at other team's "official" forums to comment on trades or whatnot. Still "Mostly Harmless" in mode, but you know how it goes --there's a brotherhood/sisterhood of hockey fans, and even cross-rivalries, many of us are willing to provide some insight when another team's fanbase is going "who is this guy and his history?" on a trade. Most recently, I can remember "giving the book" on Shep to SJ's fans on their official forum, and being greeted with gratitude and respect.

So I think I have some experience in experiencing what goes on around the league on "official" forums. From that experience, WMB does not have to have developed the way it did in recent years. There are plenty of "official" forums out there that grew a home-based volunteer team of efficient, cheerful, and effective unpaid volunteer mod teams.

Jes sayin'.


Last edited by geowild: 06-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.
geowild is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
  #698
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.
I work wonders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
Like many of us, I show up at other team's "official" forums to comment on trades or whatnot. Still "Mostly Harmless" in mode, but you know how it goes --there's a brotherhood/sisterhood of hockey fans, and even cross-rivalries, many of us are willing to provide some insight when another team's fanbase is going "who is this guy and his history?" on a trade. Most recently, I can remember "giving the book" on Shep to SJ's fans on their official forum, and being greeted with gratitude and respect.

So I think I have some experience in experiencing what goes on around the league on "official" forums. From that experience, WMB does not have to have developed the way it did in recent years. There are plenty of "official" forums out there that grew a home-based volunteer team of efficient, cheerful, and effective unpaid volunteer mod teams.

Jes sayin'.
The main thing to remember when going to other team forums is just that. It's a forum for that team.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
  #699
Puhis
@Puhis46
 
Puhis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I agree that everyone should change their name to "GopherClone xxx", with the oldest members getting lower numbers.

Then we should just have a generic barcode as our avatar, with the last three digits matching the digits on our username.

Puhis is offline  
Old
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  #700
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 24,315
vCash: 500
If the old Wild boards had mods that did their jobs, most of us wouldn't be here. There are some pretty lame IMO parts on these boards, like the trade proposals. And the official HF articles can be bad, but they've been getting better and better.

I do like the "hive mind" here though. You can get info on just about any prospect fairly quickly. There's value in numbers in that way. You can get scouting reports from fans of European team instantaneously just about. Lots of smart old timers too in the history section. And often a lot of news can be broken nearly as quickly as Twitter.

Jarick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.