Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Michael Russo
RussosRantsxxx. Let the Strib go nuts with useless cease and desists.

Like we all don't hit it multiple times per day.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

You know what I find hilarious?

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Ok...

Old
06-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post

A few years ago Wild posters were bashing the hell out of Hockey's Future, calling it terrible and yet now they have migrated over here.
We had to. Wild message boards were even worse. Poorly maintained then you have some poster posting 20 new threads of useless crap just to ruin the experience for everyone.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:

Tsk, tsk, careful with the stereotypes. I never did any such thing. I don't recall Angelina or IWF doing so either. But if you have the evidence as it applies to actual recent ads, by all means bring it.

I'd guess you're talking about a couple other people who have actually already been here for quite some time. But, really, no need for me to attempt to read your mind --you're right here, tell us who you are specfically pointing the finger of shame at.

Last edited by geowild: 06-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old
06-24-2012, 12:13 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

I may have ripped it a bit many years ago, but I think it was after reading something on here that threw me for a major loop. Can't even recall what it was. Those were my 20's though. We all do crazy things in our 20's. Honestly though, there was a time when I never thought I'd leave the official board. It was like home. And even though I checked this place out in 2008 before the meltdown of the official site, I didn't feel the need to stay. Was having too much fun over there.

This girl was very, very wrong. Lesson learned. It didn't take much for that place to get destroyed. Now I'm eating crow over here and loving it.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:20 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
I Honestly though, there was a time when I never thought I'd leave the official board. It was like home.
That's the thing. Finding somewhere you're comfortable and settling down should not be proof of criticism of anywhere else. Just proof you're comfortable where you are. I think it is a shame the "official" forum has horrible software, worse maintenance, and even worse than that moderation. But it is what it is, and eventually I just came to realize that patience had turned into enabling. So here I am somewhere better, even with the inevitable discomfort of adjusting to somewhere new. Obviously quite a few people got to that place before I did --I am kind of stubborn.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:31 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geowild View Post
That's the thing. Finding somewhere you're comfortable and settling down should not be proof of criticism of anywhere else. Just proof you're comfortable where you are. I think it is a shame the "official" forum has horrible software, worse maintenance, and even worse than that moderation. But it is what it is, and eventually I just came to realize that patience had turned into enabling. So here I am somewhere better, even with the inevitable discomfort of adjusting to somewhere new. Obviously quite a few people got to that place before I did --I am kind of stubborn.
I use to be against having mods over on the official boards. The freedom was nice. Again, that opinion has quickly changed. Without mods over there, it turned into a street fight....high school drama. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to disagree and have good debates, as well as razzing each other, but there is a line between having fun and seriously fighting. When you can no longer talk hockey, because there's pizzing matches every 3-5 posts, then what's the point? There's also the issue of spammers and bugs that took longer than necessary to get fixed, because nobody is really in charge of that place.

JMO, but the mods here give us rather long leashes. They're actually fans who participate in the discussions just as much as we do. They started off in the same place we did on here. They're not some stiff sitting behind a computer at the team office that's only available from 9 to 5. Any tech problems get addressed pretty dang fast no matter what time of day it is, and there are no spammers hi-jacking a thread. It's night and day comparing the two.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
JMO, but the mods here give us rather long leashes. Any tech problems get addressed pretty dang fast no matter what time of day it is, and there are no spammers hi-jacking a thread. It's night and day comparing the two.
You know, I'm here 24/7.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:34 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
You know, I'm here 24/7.
Well you kinda have to be, since none of us can be trusted.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:40 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Falness is a nice radio/pondcast guy, but he has no business being admin of an internet forum. No business at all.

I've been a mod, a super (global) mod, and an admin on both phpbb and vbulletin. It's an acquired skillset that comes over years and being part of good mod teams over years. He's got an assigned job he almost certainly never wanted in the first place, and no experience to know how to do it or grow a team to do it for him.

That he's doing it in the first place is part of the evidence the higher-ups don't care, or at least don't know how to care in an effective manner in this context.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Can we all agree that we're like a big family here and that's what makes HF Wild a great place to be?

Yeah, that's what I wanted to hear.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:44 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Falness is a nice radio/pondcast guy, but he has no business being admin of an internet forum. No business at all.

I've been a mod, a super (global) mod, and an admin on both phpbb and vbulletin. It's an acquired skillset that comes over years and being part of good mod teams over years. He's got an assigned job he almost certainly never wanted in the first place, and no experience to know how to do it or grow a team to do it for him.

That he's doing it in the first place is part of the evidence the higher-ups don't care, or at least don't know how to care.
Absolutely agree. Falness is a great guy, but shouldn't be anywhere near that board. In fact, I think he gave up a couple years ago. There was a time when he did keep all of us in line. There were some unwritten rules over there, and you'd pay a price for breaking them. He was lurking a lot. But then it all changed, and you could get away with murder.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:

And most of us still bash the writing that comes from HF...

Old
06-24-2012, 12:46 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Can we all agree that we're like a big family here and that's what makes HF Wild a great place to be?

Well, we were family over there too at one point. Can't turn my back on that. But it is what it is, and thankfully many have made the transfer. Now you're stuck with us. Good luck with that.

Wait, if we're one big family over here, does this mean that the mods are like our adoptive parents?

Old
06-24-2012, 01:00 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:

Kum-ba-ya. . . .

Old
06-24-2012, 01:04 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Absolutely agree. Falness is a great guy, but shouldn't be anywhere near that board. In fact, I think he gave up a couple years ago. There was a time when he did keep all of us in line. There were some unwritten rules over there, and you'd pay a price for breaking them. He was lurking a lot. But then it all changed, and you could get away with murder.
I don't disagree, but if he'd actually known what he was doing, he'd have known he needed to build a team of volunteers. . . he had years to do it. Worse than not doing it, I saw no evidence he even recognized he needed to do it.

But even then, that software and shared hosting is horrible. Never any evidence he ever recognized that from experience elsewhere or knew how to fight to get something better.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:14 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Asking one person to run any forum (especially on an official site like that during the season) is just asking for trouble. Like you said, it takes a team. It's crazy. One of the busiest times for any team forum is when that team is actually playing a game. Yet on game nights, he has his main job to do on the radio and so forth. It doesn't make sense why he had to do it alone.

Old
06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

Like many of us, I show up at other team's "official" forums to comment on trades or whatnot. Still "Mostly Harmless" in mode, but you know how it goes --there's a brotherhood/sisterhood of hockey fans, and even cross-rivalries, many of us are willing to provide some insight when another team's fanbase is going "who is this guy and his history?" on a trade. Most recently, I can remember "giving the book" on Shep to SJ's fans on their official forum, and being greeted with gratitude and respect.

So I think I have some experience in experiencing what goes on around the league on "official" forums. From that experience, WMB does not have to have developed the way it did in recent years. There are plenty of "official" forums out there that grew a home-based volunteer team of efficient, cheerful, and effective unpaid volunteer mod teams.

Jes sayin'.

Last edited by geowild: 06-24-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old
06-24-2012, 02:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

I work wonders.

Quote:
Like many of us, I show up at other team's "official" forums to comment on trades or whatnot. Still "Mostly Harmless" in mode, but you know how it goes --there's a brotherhood/sisterhood of hockey fans, and even cross-rivalries, many of us are willing to provide some insight when another team's fanbase is going "who is this guy and his history?" on a trade. Most recently, I can remember "giving the book" on Shep to SJ's fans on their official forum, and being greeted with gratitude and respect.

So I think I have some experience in experiencing what goes on around the league on "official" forums. From that experience, WMB does not have to have developed the way it did in recent years. There are plenty of "official" forums out there that grew a home-based volunteer team of efficient, cheerful, and effective unpaid volunteer mod teams.

Jes sayin'.
The main thing to remember when going to other team forums is just that. It's a forum for that team.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I agree that everyone should change their name to "GopherClone xxx", with the oldest members getting lower numbers.

Then we should just have a generic barcode as our avatar, with the last three digits matching the digits on our username.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the old Wild boards had mods that did their jobs, most of us wouldn't be here. There are some pretty lame IMO parts on these boards, like the trade proposals. And the official HF articles can be bad, but they've been getting better and better.

I do like the "hive mind" here though. You can get info on just about any prospect fairly quickly. There's value in numbers in that way. You can get scouting reports from fans of European team instantaneously just about. Lots of smart old timers too in the history section. And often a lot of news can be broken nearly as quickly as Twitter.

Closed Thread