HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBC to broadcast 70 games

Old
01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
My god, I said basically the exact same thing minus 1 word. Stop arguing semantics.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
What do you guys make of this? Tweet is a few days old. Interesting fact I didn't know.

Quote:
John Giannone ‏@jaygeemsg

NYR schedule note:Not all "NBC property" games are exclusive. NBC/NBCSN limit is 7, which means Sam, Joe & MSG crew will have 41 of 48 games

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:18 PM
sh724

Why are people complaining about what game they might get? In the past whenever NBC had regional games on you could watch the other game on NBC's website.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
My god, I said basically the exact same thing minus 1 word. Stop arguing semantics.
The first time you implied that it was costing the TV providers money.

The second time you said that it would cost NBC money.

That's 2 very different things..

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:07 AM
BourqueBourqueBork

Great Odin's Raven!

The Preds get two games on NBC(SN)! Not just two games, but two home games. Not two games at Detroit or Chicago like usual. But home. Wow.

I better give them directions to the arena. I'm not sure they know how to get here.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:59 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
The first time you implied that it was costing the TV providers money.

The second time you said that it would cost NBC money.

That's 2 very different things..
It cost BOTH OF THEM money! This isn't hard to understand.

Me -> pays cable provider -> pays channel

IF GAMES ARE FREE ONLINE:

Me -> don't bother paying cable provider -> don't pay channel

See how that works now?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:49 AM
berklon

Hockey is very important to NBC:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...hockey-season/

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
so if the US puck drops are delayed for the banner raising... then the [strike]2012[/strike]/2013 hockey season starts in Winnipeg? or will Winnipeg get delayed too?

edit: bbcode for strikethrough? anybody?

castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Question, are only the games shown on NBC available as a free stream on NBC Sports or are NBC Sports games on during weeknights also shown as free streams on NBC Sports?

Btw to my fellow Canadians, download a firefox or google chrome attachment called MediaHint, let's you view video and hopefully streams from places like Netflix US and NBC. Other similar browser add-ons probably exist but I just tested that one and it's working with NBC video.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:37 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Question, are only the games shown on NBC available as a free stream on NBC Sports or are NBC Sports games on during weeknights also shown as free streams on NBC Sports?

Btw to my fellow Canadians, download a firefox or google chrome attachment called MediaHint, let's you view video and hopefully streams from places like Netflix US and NBC. Other similar browser add-ons probably exist but I just tested that one and it's working with NBC video.
Only NBC games.

But you're in Canada, so those aren't available to you anyways.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Kloparren
Hth

It's 2012 man please. Canadians can watch NBC streams, read the 2nd paragraph I wrote in that post above yours.

One of the things that sucked in the 90s was that we couldn't go and change to a different time shifted channel or stream if our local CBC/NBC wasn't showing the game we liked. Kids growing up today are so lucky. 90s was still better though

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

With an uninteresting game in LA, NBC switches over to Penguins-Flyers game.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:53 PM
bosshogg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
No surprises here.

Nobody wants to watch teams like carolina / edmonton play, not sure why they're calling edmonton not getting any games on VS a "problem." The only "problem" here is the ratings for that game would suck, so they don't show it.
What are you talking about? Edmonton has some of the hottest prospects. I agree with not showing sun belt teams but I get more excited when Canadian teams get on the air and I'm American. It gets old when NBC just shows NYR, NJ, Phi, Pit, Bos, Wash, Det, or Chi. Often times they show games featuring both those teams facing off against each other. Total snoozefest. Thought it was cool how the Winter Classic at least was going to branch out with Toronto. Canadian teams get screwed over by Bettman's regime.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:43 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
so if the US puck drops are delayed for the banner raising... then the [strike]2012[/strike]/2013 hockey season starts in Winnipeg? or will Winnipeg get delayed too?

edit: bbcode for strikethrough? anybody?
It's "s" and slash "s"

PHP Code:
This is a [s]strikethrough[/sexample 
results in the following line

This is a strikethrough example

knorthern knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 10:19 PM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Winnipeg got delayed... Although what's really surprising is that the change was not announced anywhere... Even the score clock at MTS Centre that counts down to game time was ticking way as if the game was going to start at 2pm... And then the players didn't come out for warmup at their usual time... When they finally took to the ice, they stayed out right til 2. Then a bunch of videos were played on the scoreboard -- even ones from last year's home opener... It was really strange. Eventually they reset the "game time" clock to lead us to believe that the opening face off would be at 2:30... But no. Player introductions started at that time.

It was the weirdest thing. The Jets are so keen on communicating, they email all STHs every time there is an "unusual" start time for a home game, just to remind you... I'm not talking about game times that have been changed from the original schedule, or over the course of last season. They would email everyone just to remind them of Saturday afternoon games (instead of our typical Saturday 6pm start) or games that were slated to start 30 or 60 minutes earlier than the usual weeknight time, presumably to accommodate TV networks involved in those games.

(Speaking of TV, I don't recall Canadian TV of any kind making a point to provide live coverage of a Cup banner raising whose game they weren't covering... They might pop over for a few minutes, they would definitely show highlights after the fact, but I can't ever remember delaying their game by 30 mins to show the ceremony live...)

Saturday, we were all just sitting in the dark (except for during warmup) wondering what the heck was going on.

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote