HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Question about injuries and buyouts

Old
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM
broad

vCash: 500
Question about injuries and buyouts

A GM can't buy out players who are injured which is apparently why Redden is going to be sitting this year.

So what if Redden gets injured in a non-hockey incident while sitting out? Is he still eligible to be bought out?

Buyouts are 2/3 of the salary, so Redden would lose $1.67M if he was bought out. Not that I imagine Redden would do something like that, but could a financially desperate player injure himself for more money?

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:48 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
A GM can't buy out players who are injured which is apparently why Redden is going to be sitting this year.

So what if Redden gets injured in a non-hockey incident while sitting out? Is he still eligible to be bought out?

Buyouts are 2/3 of the salary, so Redden would lose $1.67M if he was bought out. Not that I imagine Redden would do something like that, but could a financially desperate player injure himself for more money?
Yes. Players are only guaranteed their entire salary (and thus cannot be bought out without their consent) if they are injured as a "direct result of any injury sustained during the course of his employment as a hockey Player with the Club, including travel with his team or on business requested by the Club." Ifr a player sustains a non-hockey related injury, he may be suspended w/o pay or cap hit until he is physically unfit to play.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
broad

Thanks for the response.

Follow-up then; Since Sakic injured his finger operating a snowblower, the Avs were not obliged to pay him 6M that year, correct? Any word on whether or not they did anyway? I assume they would have anyway.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by broad View Post
Thanks for the response.

Follow-up then; Since Sakic injured his finger operating a snowblower, the Avs were not obliged to pay him 6M that year, correct? Any word on whether or not they did anyway? I assume they would have anyway.
It was their option. Same with E. Johnson and the golf cart incident where he blew out his ACL. If a player is valuable to a team, they'll pay the player. If not, they won't.

Ie. if Gomez went skiing in Feb and got hurt, I doubt the Habs would continue to pay him. Same with Redden.

I think there is a window to buy the player out. It must be done by a certain date, therefore, if these guys blew out their ACL's, it's a 9 month recovery, so they could be back on the active roster by October. But, if a team put them on LTIR at the start of the season because they weren't able to play, they could leave them on LTIR. But, I guess team's don't want to risk having the player be fit to go at the start of the season, thus having him count against the cap.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Why do you think players were concerned about insurance on their contracts when they went to go play overseas?

Because if they got hurt playing in the KHL and didn't have insurance (their OWN insurance) then they're going to be SOL.

If ovechtrick had a career ending injury in the KHL, the balance of his contract would be paid by the insurance that he personally bought (though the KHL team most likely picked up the tab, he's still the beneficiary on the policy), and the caps wouldn't pay him another cent.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:42 PM
epo

Does being told to stay home make these players escrow exempt?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
It was their option. Same with E. Johnson and the golf cart incident where he blew out his ACL. If a player is valuable to a team, they'll pay the player. If not, they won't.

Ie. if Gomez went skiing in Feb and got hurt, I doubt the Habs would continue to pay him. Same with Redden.

I think there is a window to buy the player out. It must be done by a certain date, therefore, if these guys blew out their ACL's, it's a 9 month recovery, so they could be back on the active roster by October. But, if a team put them on LTIR at the start of the season because they weren't able to play, they could leave them on LTIR. But, I guess team's don't want to risk having the player be fit to go at the start of the season, thus having him count against the cap.
Johnson episode is different as it was team golf tournament (so, "in normal course of job"), not just golfing on his own. Therefore they were required to pay him while he was out injured.

Minnesota suspended Sheppard when he messed up his knee in off season ATV accident. (Took that season, plus another after being acquired by San Jose to be healed. Sharks did not suspend him.)

Amnesty buyouts begin 48 hours after playoffs end. (I don't recall if there's an "end" date on those.)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 02:43 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Does being told to stay home make these players escrow exempt?
It shouldn't. They would still be on the NHL roster and collecting an NHL paycheck.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote