HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penguins Training Camp Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
khaoskennedy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I believe it - I have been saying for a while that the sooner we get rid of Martin.. the better.

Honestly, I think there are AHL defenseman who could have done a better job than Martin last year. Words cannot describe how brutal he was during the post-season.

If he doesn't improve in a hurry, it looks like we are stuck with Wade Redden version 2.
If he really got that bad, he could be bought out in the summer. i doubt that happens tho

khaoskennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:39 PM
mpp9

It's one thing if he's not a fit for our system longterm. But if he is hot garbage for the first 15 games of the season and we're losing games b/c of it. I don't care if we get nothing for him, trade his ass for scraps. Look to make a deal for a replacement and move on.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Here are the WBS additions for tonight's game. The only surprises is Killeen instead of Zatkoff or Theissen.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...|home#wbs_adds
I guess they're expecting both goalies to play 60 plus 5min OT plus 5 skater shootout, so Killeen's only there if a goalie gets injured.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:46 PM
DreamBeaut

Amped up for this scrimmage.

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Oh ****... even I didn't fully comprehend this fact yet...

I'm suddenly less excited to watch tomorrows game.
Haven't watched a Pens broadcast with the sound on in two years.

Generational Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Tangradi and Bennett are working out. OK:

KUNITZ-CROSBY-BENNETT
TANGRADI-MALKIN-NEAL
COOKE-SUTTER-DUPUIS
GLASS-VITALE-ADAMS

TK for something. Dupuis replaces one of then if hey don't work out. JEFFREY also available to fill a gap.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
If I had to make a prediction, I'd say this is the Pens roster on D (not paying attention to sides or pairings):

Letang-Martin
Niskanen-Orpik
Bortuzzo-Engelland
Lovejoy-Strait

They will carry 8 to start and dump the least successful of Lovejoy/Strait. There is a possibility that Despres makes the lineup on Saturday and if so, one of Lovejoy, Strait will hit waivers. I suspect Strait would be picked up and likely Lovejoy so maybe they look to trade one. Hope that helps.
Yup, thanks. I know it's unlikely for us to trade, it's just that Lovejoy would round out our roster so well. Would be the perfect pick up.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:36 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's one thing if he's not a fit for our system longterm. But if he is hot garbage for the first 15 games of the season and we're losing games b/c of it. I don't care if we get nothing for him, trade his ass for scraps. Look to make a deal for a replacement and move on.
Yup, because if there's anything that other teams look for, it's a player that is struggling so bad, that his team is losing because of it. Oh, tack on an overpriced contract and they'll REALLY be looking for trade for him.

What goes through some people's minds on here? We hate the guy, he stinks, he's struggling, he's overpaid, he's useless, we're losing because of him......someone will want to trade for him.

Give your head a shake.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:51 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Yup, thanks. I know it's unlikely for us to trade, it's just that Lovejoy would round out our roster so well. Would be the perfect pick up.
That would actually help us out too. He'd be off our roster and allow a better player to get a roster spot, and he would be good for at least ~3 prime giveaways allowing us to have great scoring chances in the games we play against eachother.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
You can have him

Solid depth dman but we have plenty of them and I'd rather let the younger guys with more long term potential get an opportunity.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Yup, because if there's anything that other teams look for, it's a player that is struggling so bad, that his team is losing because of it. Oh, tack on an overpriced contract and they'll REALLY be looking for trade for him.

What goes through some people's minds on here? We hate the guy, he stinks, he's struggling, he's overpaid, he's useless, we're losing because of him......someone will want to trade for him.

Give your head a shake.
Give your head a shake because that's an exaggeration on how bad he was. He WAS bad, but we weren't losing because of him. He also isn't useless and I don't hate him. I have no doubt in my mind that if the Penguins put him on the market right now that Shero would have multiple offers.

Old
01-16-2013, 01:57 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
You can have him

Solid depth dman but we have plenty of them and I'd rather let the younger guys with more long term potential get an opportunity.
Yeah.. I'm not a guy who expects anything from Lovejoy (trade value) but he could definitely be a solid 6/7 on many teams. He's talented and a trade might actually set some fire under him to even elevate his game higher.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Yeah.. I'm not a guy who expects anything from Lovejoy (trade value) but he could definitely be a solid 6/7 on many teams. He's talented and a trade might actually set some fire under him to even elevate his game higher.
I agree with that for sure. It will be interesting to see what Shero does. I guess we'll find out within 48 hours.

Old
01-16-2013, 02:14 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Give your head a shake because that's an exaggeration on how bad he was. He WAS bad, but we weren't losing because of him. He also isn't useless and I don't hate him. I have no doubt in my mind that if the Penguins put him on the market right now that Shero would have multiple offers.
Give your head a shake and realize I was pertaining to what the OP was saying.

I disagree with you saying that Shero would have multiple offers. With all the crap that Martin has been through here, and all the talk by the coaches in how he struggled and trying to find a new partner so he can find his game....there's no doubt in MY mind that Shero would have had the feelers out there to see if there was any interest in him. With his pricetag, it's highly unlikely that too many teams would be interested in him. If they were interested in him, they certainly wouldn't give up much for him.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
He's a doofus, and makes ridiculous analogies, and makes me shake my head more than I'd like to during an NHL broadcast, but god damn it he's our doofus.

Also he's right more often than not on bang bang plays that you can't see on camera.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Google is telling me that Gionta's wife's name is Harvest... [487 elipses removed] ...Harvest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Why are you looking up Gionta's wife?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
why aren't you looking up Gionta's wife?

This forum is special.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Karnage420*

wouldnt worry too much about martin.

last year was his first really bad year, but the year before that he was astounding.

i suspect he'll be a lot better this year, should shut a few people up. and if he doesnt im sure shero will ship him out with no regard.

Karnage420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
If we've cloned Kileen then can we clone Crosby?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Solution

Quote:
So what would you like to offer us for Lovejoy? I think that a 6th round draft pick might work. Maybe a conditional 5th if he were to become part of your top 4. (Doubtful with Girardi, Staal, McDonaugh, et al., but hey we have to make it look like we negotiated hard here right?)

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I guess they're expecting both goalies to play 60 plus 5min OT plus 5 skater shootout, so Killeen's only there if a goalie gets injured.
That makes sense except for the fact that Killeen is supposedly still on the IR for Wheeling as of lunch time today. I checked that out when I saw his name here. Of course, Wheeling is not the best at keeping their website up to date with those moves, but I did not see in on the ECHL transaction list either.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
Give your head a shake and realize I was pertaining to what the OP was saying.

I disagree with you saying that Shero would have multiple offers. With all the crap that Martin has been through here, and all the talk by the coaches in how he struggled and trying to find a new partner so he can find his game....there's no doubt in MY mind that Shero would have had the feelers out there to see if there was any interest in him. With his pricetag, it's highly unlikely that too many teams would be interested in him. If they were interested in him, they certainly wouldn't give up much for him.
Well MP did say he doesn't care if he is moved for scraps, so that is basically the same thing you just said I think.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Interesting quote from Adam Oates today, regarding Alex Ovechkin being used this season on PENALTY KILL:

"Let's say we get two penalties in a row, I've got to get him on the ice, so he's got to learn how to play that situation," Oates said. "I also think it helps him. When you play penalty killing, you learn little things that maybe will help him on the power play. We've got a lead and the team pulls the goalie, he's got to be out there. So he's got to know how to play there. That's an important time for our team."

From today's Washington Post.

We need to use our best assets better, too.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Interesting quote from Adam Oates today, regarding Alex Ovechkin being used this season on PENALTY KILL:

"Let's say we get two penalties in a row, I've got to get him on the ice, so he's got to learn how to play that situation," Oates said. "I also think it helps him. When you play penalty killing, you learn little things that maybe will help him on the power play. We've got a lead and the team pulls the goalie, he's got to be out there. So he's got to know how to play there. That's an important time for our team."

True but it's always a gamble on the pk, with our injury luck Malkin or Crosby would get constantly hit by shots and get injured

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post

I agree. I read somewhere today (maybe it was Netwolf's report from yday) that they had Sid and Geno on PK for a few times in practice. I don't think DB will use them often, and Geno likely less than Sid, but I think he's open to seeing them at the end of penalties and hopefully in back to back situations.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
vikingGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
True but it's always a gamble on the pk, with our injury luck Malkin or Crosby would get constantly hit by shots and get injured
Lemieux killed penalties, enough said. Heck Giroux kills penalities, Malkin is actually pretty decent at killing penalities. I would love to see Malkin out there at the very least in the later stages of the PK when the play is soon to transistion the other way.

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

So no Evil Dupuis or Ferriero?

Gods be praised.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote