HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

goalie pads.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2005, 11:25 PM
  #1
Parrish
Registered User
 
Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Decatur; Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
goalie pads.

Hey I have been sitting out a few years now after huting my back playing D. I am returning as a goalie. I palyed that before and was pretty decent. Anyways I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know. Also I play full right (meaning i wear the glove on my right hand) I'm having trouble finding a chest pad at all and very little luck in blockers and cathers. Any help again is appretiated as of now I'm simply shopping ebay.

Parrish is offline  
Old
03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
  #2
RedK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
What size pads you'll need depends on which ones you get. Different manufacturers have different ways to measure which leads to different sizes. I'm 5'8" and wear 32s, so I'd guess you might need a 32 or 33. I'm also full right, and finding used full right gear is very difficult. Ebay is one sourse. You might also look at the Goalie Store BB as it has the best hit rate of all the goalie BBs and so gets the largest number of for sale items.

RedK is offline  
Old
03-07-2005, 05:06 PM
  #3
Accord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know.
http://www.sportsgiant-dev.com/fitting/goaliepad.asp

Accord is offline  
Old
03-07-2005, 09:36 PM
  #4
Parrish
Registered User
 
Parrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Decatur; Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
thanks guys

Parrish is offline  
Old
03-07-2005, 09:36 PM
  #5
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrish11d
Hey I have been sitting out a few years now after huting my back playing D. I am returning as a goalie. I palyed that before and was pretty decent. Anyways I don't know what size pads I need can anyone help? I'm 5'9 1/2 bout 135 pounds. I'm guessing about 30" or 31" on the leg pads but honestly don't know. Also I play full right (meaning i wear the glove on my right hand) I'm having trouble finding a chest pad at all and very little luck in blockers and cathers. Any help again is appretiated as of now I'm simply shopping ebay.
I would suggest you to try some size from different brands, if it's possible, because the lenght of the pad really depends on a lot of factor including size, style and preference. I'm 5'6 " and i wear 33'' Bauer Reactor, other goalie i know is near 6 foot and wear 34''. Also, you can add one or two inches by adding lenght on the thigh rise of the pad. It help on closing the 5 hole.

I can suggest you some website to shop :

www.hockeygeeks.com
www.donsimmons.com

And to know more about equipment visit the bulletin board of this website :

www.goaliestore.com

Erngueva is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
  #6
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 500
Hell I'm 6'4 and I wear 34s. It really depends on the style you intend to play. Butterfliers tend to favor the bigger pads, whereas the old stand-up hybrids like myself can't give up the mobility of having smaller ones.

Malefic74 is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
  #7
damoose212001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to damoose212001
for full custom equipment go here. http://litespeedhockey.com/

I have their pads, and they're great, and a great price.

damoose212001 is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:22 PM
  #8
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damoose212001
for full custom equipment go here. http://litespeedhockey.com/

I have their pads, and they're great, and a great price.
Thanx for this link, i had never heard about this brand. How much time did you use this pads ? Are they held up good ? Sometime, durabillity (sp) of a custom brand is problematic...

Erngueva is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:37 PM
  #9
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
I can say already that their thin board blocker will not hold up. Just from looking at it, it has simple design flaws that the Vapor has covered. The hand is sitting far too close to the actualy pad, meaning the impact dispersal will be pretty poor. Secondly, the board itself is TOO thin. It's even thinner than the Vapor from the looks of it.

Needless to say, im not a fan of those cheap snap buckles on any leg pad either.

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:47 PM
  #10
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
hey lets judge a piece of equipments durability based on pictures from the internet

Anthony* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:50 PM
  #11
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
hey lets judge a piece of equipments durability based on pictures from the internet
Not that hard as long as you have common sense and a decent knowledge on how equipment is made and how it performs.

I take it you work for LiteSpeed?

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
  #12
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
youre obviously an idiot

and no i dont work for litespeed but keep on judging

Anthony* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
  #13
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
youre obviously an idiot

and no i dont work for litespeed but keep on judging
Awwww big boy has no counter claims other than a personal attack? What are you, 12?

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
  #14
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
hey lets judge a piece of equipments durability based on pictures from the internet
It can be done, not 100 % sure, but some things might suggest design flaws. Using the equipment is the best way to judge the durability, i give you that.

Erngueva is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:02 PM
  #15
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
Thanx for this link, i had never heard about this brand. How much time did you use this pads ? Are they held up good ? Sometime, durabillity (sp) of a custom brand is problematic...
McKenney makes a solid pad. They are a relatively "small" company, but the construction on their pad is on par/better than some of the big boys. They also allow you custom color schemes. The foams and strapping on their pad is similar to any pro style. They will also add custom thighboards if you see fit.

http://www.mckenneysports.com/

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:06 PM
  #16
Erngueva
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
McKenney makes a solid pad. They are a relatively "small" company, but the construction on their pad is on par/better than some of the big boys. They also allow you custom color schemes. The foams and strapping on their pad is similar to any pro style. They will also add custom thighboards if you see fit.

http://www.mckenneysports.com/
Yes, i heard of that company. Did you hear about battram ? I heard they make nice piece of equipment too. www.battram.com

Erngueva is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
  #17
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erngueva
Yes, i heard of that company. Did you hear about battram ? I heard they make nice piece of equipment too. www.battram.com
Never bought from them, but a friend has a C+A of theirs and loves it. I noticed they have a Vapor style pad, I may have to check that out whenever I get enough money to toss at some new pads.

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
  #18
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO
Awwww big boy has no counter claims other than a personal attack? What are you, 12?
ive never used anything from litespeed, so how am i supposed to claim anything

maybe i should just make ignorant comments based on pictures from the internet

Anthony* is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 12:32 AM
  #19
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
ive never used anything from litespeed, so how am i supposed to claim anything

maybe i should just make ignorant comments based on pictures from the internet
Or maybe you should get basic equipment knowledge before you come here with your petty little personal attacks. You never answered my question either. What are you, 12?

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
  #20
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
yea i am twelve years old

its painfully obvious that 'basic equipment knowledge' is lost with you

otherwise, you wouldnt have acted like a moron

Anthony* is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 01:11 AM
  #21
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: derderderderderderde
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 12,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
yea i am twelve years old

its painfully obvious that 'basic equipment knowledge' is lost with you

otherwise, you wouldnt have acted like a moron
Yes, pointing out design flaws makes me a moron...by the way, 12 year olds go on my ignore list .

IkeaMonkey* is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 01:58 AM
  #22
Anthony*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 5,157
vCash: 500
hahaha

yea that blocker is clearly flawed just by looking at the picture

we dont need to take it on the ice and actually try it out or anything

its obviously an inferior piece of equipment

Anthony* is offline  
Old
03-11-2005, 07:19 PM
  #23
Brodeur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,332
vCash: 500
What's your price range? Other guys have mentioned the "2nd tier" companies like McKenney and Battram, who can sell their equipment cheaper because they don't have any NHL ties. My buddy bought a pair of Smith pads recently, which are supposed to be clones of the Vaughn Velocity pads. The Smith pads were 700 something, which is 300-400 cheaper than Vaughn after taxes.

If you're not sure goaltending will be a permanent position, I wouldn't invest too heavily in equipment. Most companies will have a "Senior" pad and a "Pro" pad. The Pro pads will have some more bells and whistles, but are usually twice the price.

I really liked the Heaton Z Senior pad which I think goes for $430-$470 depending on where you look. It has nice knee and calf rolls which provide extra padding. When I play outdoors, I wish my cheaper pads had these.......I hate banging my knee on the ground when I go into the butterfly.

I've only seen one site who was doing pre-sales on the new Reebok senior pads, and they has the MSRP at $300 which is pretty good unless they were wrong.

With arm/chest protector.....I'd just try to find a big store with every brand and just try it on. Have no shame about it either, my buddy spent 3-4 hours trying stuff on.......and the store should understand that you're about to make a pretty pricy investment. I don't think one particular brand has it right or wrong......each goalie's gonna have his own preference on how the equipment feels.

Brodeur is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.