Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Suspensions

Old
11-08-2012, 02:41 PM
KnightsInsider93

vCash: 500
Suspensions

With the suspensions so far this year being so varied depending on the incident it's got me thinking that OHL Suspensions are being decided based upon more than what most people think. The obvious things that the OHL looks at include:

Head Contact: Did the player make contact with the victims head?
Intentional: Was the contact intentional
Could it have been avoided?
Injury on the play: Was there an injury on the play
Previous Offender? Has the player been involved in separate incidents?
Did the player leave his feet?
Was there a penalty on the play?

I look at Pedan on Guelph and he only received 4 games for kicking somebody. Then I look at Buonomo who received 15 games for his hit. Then I look at Pezzetta on Owen Sound who did not receive a suspension for his knee on Spits C Michael Clarke.

I think the league is looking at two more things when deciding upon suspension:

League Experience: How long as the player been in the league? Ex. Buonomo (SSM) knows by now what is acceptable and what isn't. Where as a rookie Ex. Pezzetta (OS) might get more of a 2nd chance.

What teams/players generate the league money: Sure you can see somebody like Buonomo suspended 15 games because he doesn't draw a crown and the team doesn't make that much money for the OHL anyway. You are not going to see the league and down a huge suspension to Connor McDavid because he generates a crowd and your not going to see a huge suspension to Max Domi because his team generates money for the OHL.

I'm not happy with the inconsistencies with the OHL's Disciplinary Action.
The Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds currently have 5 Suspensions totaling 39 games.
The REST OF THE OHL currently has totaling 7 suspensions totaling 36 games

KnightsInsider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:47 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightsInsider93 View Post
With the suspensions so far this year being so varied depending on the incident it's got me thinking that OHL Suspensions are being decided based upon more than what most people think. The obvious things that the OHL looks at include:

Head Contact: Did the player make contact with the victims head?
Intentional: Was the contact intentional
Could it have been avoided?
Injury on the play: Was there an injury on the play
Previous Offender? Has the player been involved in separate incidents?
Did the player leave his feet?
Was there a penalty on the play?

I look at Pedan on Guelph and he only received 4 games for kicking somebody. Then I look at Buonomo who received 15 games for his hit. Then I look at Pezzetta on Owen Sound who did not receive a suspension for his knee on Spits C Michael Clarke.

I think the league is looking at two more things when deciding upon suspension:

League Experience: How long as the player been in the league? Ex. Buonomo (SSM) knows by now what is acceptable and what isn't. Where as a rookie Ex. Pezzetta (OS) might get more of a 2nd chance.

What teams/players generate the league money: Sure you can see somebody like Buonomo suspended 15 games because he doesn't draw a crown and the team doesn't make that much money for the OHL anyway. You are not going to see the league and down a huge suspension to Connor McDavid because he generates a crowd and your not going to see a huge suspension to Max Domi because his team generates money for the OHL.

I'm not happy with the inconsistencies with the OHL's Disciplinary Action.
The Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds currently have 5 Suspensions totaling 39 games.
The REST OF THE OHL currently has totaling 7 suspensions totaling 36 games
Welcome to the world of David Branch. Suspensions are inconsistent and sometimes make no sense. Sometimes it seems he draws from a hat on how long to suspend players.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 02:53 PM
KnightsInsider93

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Welcome to the world of David Branch. Suspensions are inconsistent and sometimes make no sense. Sometimes it seems he draws from a hat on how long to suspend players.
It's getting ridiculous. I thought the Schiller hit was worth maybe 4 games. but he gets 10 meanwhile Pedan kicks someone and ends up with 4.

You cant suspend a player for a quarter of the season (15) games and wonder why some people would rather play NCAA.

Old
11-08-2012, 03:01 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
It's getting ridiculous. I thought the Schiller hit was worth maybe 4 games. but he gets 10 meanwhile Pedan kicks someone and ends up with 4.

You cant suspend a player for a quarter of the season (15) games and wonder why some people would rather play NCAA.
I know in some ways Branch has really tainted this league. Last year Marc Zanetti kicked a player and was suspended for the rest of the playoffs, Pedan does pretty much the same thing and gets 4 games? Rupert viciously slashes Nick Cousins after a game where there is clear attempt to injure and gets just 5 games, then early last year Christian Thomas of the Generals gets 10 games for pretty much and inadvertent high stick?

Branch's suspensions are for the most part a joke.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:02 PM
bidzey

Quote:
I know in some ways Branch has really tainted this league. Last year Marc Zanetti kicked a player and was suspended for the rest of the playoffs, Pedan does pretty much the same thing and gets 4 games? Rupert viciously slashes Nick Cousins after a game where there is clear attempt to injure and gets just 5 games, then early last year Christian Thomas of the Generals gets 10 games for pretty much and inadvertent high stick?

for Rupert it's just a matter of time before he seriously hurts somebody. I won't use the word that is on the name tag that I put on him because that would be disrespectful to this board. I believe he's drafted by Toronto?, if so, as a Toronto fan I want nothing to do with him. He will be just another problem of many that TO has.

On another note, I saw Owen Sound play their worse game ever yesterday, Kyle Hope gave a head shot and it didn't look good!! Looks like he was frustrated, and aimed for it. (not saying this is a fact). So I wonder what he'll get from Mister Branch.

bidzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
for Rupert it's just a matter of time before he seriously hurts somebody. I won't use the word that is on the name tag that I put on him because that would be disrespectful to this board. I believe he's drafted by Toronto?, if so, as a Toronto fan I want nothing to do with him. He will be just another problem of many that TO has.

On another note, I saw Owen Sound play their worse game ever yesterday, Kyle Hope gave a head shot and it didn't look good!! Looks like he was frustrated, and aimed for it. (not saying this is a fact). So I wonder what he'll get from Mister Branch.

I agree about Rupert, I've just never seen too many positives he brings to a team on a night to night basis. Less talented version of Cousins, while Cousins is more yippy than dirty Rupert is a lot more dirty. Just one of many past Knights that's had more hype than substance

As for Hope, I watched the game and my initial thought (and still is) a minimum 10 games.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:37 PM
massey

Quote:

Careful what you say about Mr Branch.Many on here talks about how SUCCESSFUL he is and the OHL.Go to the fight thread on hear to read more about how good he is.

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:20 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Careful what you say about Mr Branch.Many on here talks about how SUCCESSFUL he is and the OHL.Go to the fight thread on hear to read more about how good he is.
we are all allowed our opinion, and I couldn't agree more with OHLFan8771. Sometimes it's the smallest things you say that shows your true colors (aimed at Branch... not you). I remember when he gave Halmo 10 games for a CLEAN hit. Yakopov was 10 feet away from the net when the puck rolled off the tip of his stick and he bent over to reach it just as Halmo was doing is job and ended up hitting in the head with his forearm. Yakopov was totally careless in the most dangerous zone in hockey, and Branch's comment was "Halmo should've backed off". Really!! are you kidding me!! The number 1 guy 10 feet away from your net and your supposed to "back off".

What Branch is doing is not helping and preparing OHL players for the NHL. IF you're going to baby them that much... they're only going to get a big big surprise in the NHL because in the case of a hit like Halmo's, the ref is not even going to take a second look. If you want to see what Halmo's coach had to say about the incident watch the youtube movie I posted in the Owen Sound forum (post #61). And no, I'm not being bias... Branch and company are not helping OHL players at all!
Hockey is a tough sport so keep your head up... Branch and company are changing the game in a fashion that poses great danger when they enter NHL level, but they don't care about that and the players, they just want to look good.

that's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it either people agree with me or not.
That's how Halmo's OHL career ended by the way. This was immediately before the playoffs. I wish him the best with the Islander's farm team.

Last edited by bidzey: 11-08-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
...What Branch is doing is not helping and preparing OHL players for the NHL. IF you're going to baby them that much... they're only going to get a big big surprise in the NHL ...
Yeah, but the flip side argument is that 90% or whatever it is of these guys aren't going to play in the NHL. They're teenage kids who shouldn't have to risk permanent damage playing a game. Etc, etc. Sometimes the suspensions do seem a bit heavyhanded to me, and sometimes I clearly don't see the same thing that Branch does on a given play, but I think he's coming at it with good intentions overall. I think it's better to err on the side of caution and protection where these kids are concerned. I'm not sure the message is really getting through to players, mind you, I'm not sure I see them playing much differently - just more/longer suspensions piling up - but that also doesn't mean it's not worth at least making the attempt.

A chacun son gout... end of the day Branch is clearly not taking his cue from any of us as fans and is just going to keep marching on with his agenda, so it's probably pointless by now to bemoan it too much, he's not wavering a bit. The games are still as enjoyable overall as ever IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
seen em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Yeah, but the flip side argument is that 90% or whatever it is of these guys aren't going to play in the NHL. They're teenage kids who shouldn't have to risk permanent damage playing a game. Etc, etc. Sometimes the suspensions do seem a bit heavyhanded to me, and sometimes I clearly don't see the same thing that Branch does on a given play, but I think he's coming at it with good intentions overall. I think it's better to err on the side of caution and protection where these kids are concerned. I'm not sure the message is really getting through to players, mind you, I'm not sure I see them playing much differently - just more/longer suspensions piling up - but that also doesn't mean it's not worth at least making the attempt.

A chacun son gout... end of the day Branch is clearly not taking his cue from any of us as fans and is just going to keep marching on with his agenda, so it's probably pointless by now to bemoan it too much, he's not wavering a bit. The games are still as enjoyable overall as ever IMHO.
How is it that the QMJHL and WHL don`t abide by the same policy as the OHL? isn`t Branch the Commisioner of the CHL (same league), but yet only OHL players get rediculously long suspensions. Branch is a hypocrite (again same league) on another hypocritical note Scott Layghton is suspended 10 games in the same league CHL, but yet the hypocrite Branch let`s Laughton play in the Subway Super Series, what a Freekin joke, Branch you are a pure phoney and hypocrite. Thanks for letting me vent

seen em all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:44 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seen em all View Post
How is it that the QMJHL and WHL don`t abide by the same policy as the OHL? isn`t Branch the Commisioner of the CHL (same league), but yet only OHL players get rediculously long suspensions. Branch is a hypocrite (again same league) on another hypocritical note Scott Layghton is suspended 10 games in the same league CHL, but yet the hypocrite Branch let`s Laughton play in the Subway Super Series, what a Freekin joke, Branch you are a pure phoney and hypocrite. Thanks for letting me vent
Isn't he just the commissioner of the OHL? I know the QMJHL and WHL didn't want his idiotic fighting rule. Branch is turning hockey into soccer.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 11:45 AM
MonsterSurge

Quote:

Don't play hockey then?!?!?!?!? It's the same thing in racing. In racing, it could be the last time you strap into the car. Every driver knows the risks that are involved with it. It doesn't matter if it's a 7 year old in a go kart or a 32 year old in a super late model blasting around local tracks. If you don't want the risk, don't do it.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:04 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
I'm not sure the message is really getting through to players, mind you, I'm not sure I see them playing much differently - just more/longer suspensions piling up - but that also doesn't mean it's not worth at least making the attempt.
I have seen a difference in how most players are dealing with opposing players near the boards. They're slowing down and pinning players against the boards rather than plastering them. They're not going for the questionable hit (for the most part) but the solid, clean checks. Pat Sieloff in Windsor hits like a truck, but while I haven't seen every game he's played, the hits I've seen have been clean. It can be done.

Bidzey, I agree with you on the Halmo vs Yakupov hit, but in my opinion, it was only a matter of time before Halmo injured someone with a dangerous, dirty or borderline hit. Players who tiptoe along that line eventually cross it, whether by accident or design.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
bidzey

Kyle Hope is not playing against Brampton tonight, but I can't find anything about how many games he got for his head check. I'm sure Branch will nail him, but this time I'll probably side with Branch.

Old
11-10-2012, 10:26 PM
KnightsInsider93

Another Big suspension coming to Sault?? Nick Pastorious received 5 Minute Match penalty for a slewfoot.

Old
11-11-2012, 10:08 AM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Another Big suspension coming to Sault?? Nick Pastorious received 5 Minute Match penalty for a slewfoot.
It was a trip and called a slewfoot by the ref, I think the major and game misconduct will be enough.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Don't play hockey then?!?!?!?!? It's the same thing in racing. In racing, it could be the last time you strap into the car. Every driver knows the risks that are involved with it. It doesn't matter if it's a 7 year old in a go kart or a 32 year old in a super late model blasting around local tracks. If you don't want the risk, don't do it.
I never really get this argument. Why not play hockey *and* be safe... safer? Why not *reduce* the risks where possible? And why leave the decision up to a 7 year old go cart driver or a 16 year old hockey player who might not really be in the best position to assess the risks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I have seen a difference in how most players are dealing with opposing players near the boards. They're slowing down and pinning players against the boards rather than plastering them. They're not going for the questionable hit (for the most part) but the solid, clean checks. Pat Sieloff in Windsor hits like a truck, but while I haven't seen every game he's played, the hits I've seen have been clean. It can be done.
I sort of feel like maybe fewer players are trying to take advantage in terms of putting themselves at risk too. Maybe it's getting there, but it's a long process, and also includes levels below the OHL. I don't think it's fair to question Branch's intentions or accuse him of hypocrisy or bias or anything. He may have a different agenda than some/many fans have, but I do believe he's trying his best to accomplish his goals, and in a way that is less dramatic than he might otherwise have.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
seen em all

Quote:
What do you guys think Strome will get ? Last Friday night in Mississauga he get`s a 5 minute major for a hit from behind and is ejected from the game, 10 games ?????
Let`s se if there are 2 sets of rules or not. The ball is now in your court Mr. Branch.

Old
11-14-2012, 02:05 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
What do you guys think Strome will get ? Last Friday night in Mississauga he get`s a 5 minute major for a hit from behind and is ejected from the game, 10 games ?????
Let`s se if there are 2 sets of rules or not. The ball is now in your court Mr. Branch.
Is there video of the hit any where?

Old
11-14-2012, 02:08 PM
seen em all

[QUOTE=OHLFan8771;55765787]Is there video of the hit any where?[/Qtt

The game was on OHL Sportspak, I myself did not see the hit. but I`m sure there has to be a replay somewhere.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
The game was on OHL Sportspak, I myself did not see the hit. but I`m sure there has to be a replay somewhere.
If you didn't see the hit, why the confidence that Branch will apply a different set of rules? If there is no suspension, are you going to be the first person to jump up and accuse Branch of catering to a specific player? Or will you go with the fact that not all major+game misconduct calls result in suspensions?

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 11-15-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
StormSurge9

I'm surprised Brock McGinn has not seen a suspension yet this season.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:33 PM
bidzey

Quote:
Kyle Hope is not playing against Brampton tonight, but I can't find anything about how many games he got for his head check. I'm sure Branch will nail him, but this time I'll probably side with Branch.
well he got less than I thought, he'll be back next Saturday, 6 games.

Last edited by bidzey: 11-16-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old
11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
seen em all

Quote:
well he got less than I thought, he'll be back next Saturday, 6 games.
Wow! Branch must be getting soft in his old age. Hope is a repeat offender 10 games for charging major a year or so ago, why would he get less 6 games (what a feeking joke)

Old
11-20-2012, 11:39 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Wow! Branch must be getting soft in his old age. Hope is a repeat offender 10 games for charging major a year or so ago, why would he get less 6 games (what a feeking joke)
Hmm, who knew Hope was a marquee player? Isn't that your usual excuse?

Did you see the hit? What, in your opinion, was the right number of games for such a hit?