HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Training Camp – Sun Jan 13 - Fri Jan 18

Old
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Some quotes from Vanek's latest blog post, dated the 14th:
http://www.thomasvanek.at/index.php?...ec88cacb157704

His perspective on the lockout:
Quote:
It’s true that I said I think the lockout was just stupid. On the other hand, it was necessary, as strange as that may sound. I know quite well that I’ll never earn the money I’ve lost in the last months, but that wasn’t the point. The star players will always get the big bucks, but we wanted to secure the money for the “middle class” and the fourth line players. I could have been egoistic and said take the offered money in October and run, but in the long run, that would have been bad. In the end, it was important that we got the pension in the CBA and that there are no more re-entry waivers. Until now, some players didn’t get a chance to play in the NHL because the clubs were afraid to recall them, in case the player would have been claimed off re-entry waivers. This won’t happen anymore.
Early thoughts on new additions:
Quote:
The new players fit in pretty well. I’ve played a lot against Steve Ott way back when I was in Rochester and he’s a player you know exactly what he’ll give you. John Scott – well, it’s important that we got this kind of player again. I can’t really say much about Grigorenko, as we only had one practice. But what I can say is: Boy, is he big. And he can move! It’s like watching Tyler Ennis skate, only four heads bigger. I’m sure he’ll be a great asset in the future.
On his line:
Quote:
It looks like I’ll start the season with Cody Hodgson and Jason Pominville. I’ve always played well with Pominville and I ended the last season with Hodgson on a pretty high note. He’s a right hander, but can dish the puck to both sides great. I’m really glad that I have him back as center.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:10 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Some quotes from Vanek's latest blog post, dated the 14th:
http://www.thomasvanek.at/index.php?...ec88cacb157704

His perspective on the lockout:

Early thoughts on new additions:

On his line:
I like that he is happy to be playing with CoHo. I think this line really gives Hodgson a great chance to take his game to the next level.

Grigs flies like Ennis but is "four heads bigger".

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Note: OP Additions

01.17 – Sabres’ Sulzer hoping to parlay late-season play into regular duty (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01.17 – Sabres’ Enroth will get chance to flash skills (John Vogl – The Buffalo News)

01.17 – Kevin Allen previews Buffalo on WGR's Howard Simon Show. <7:07>

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
seanaynay
One in a Milan

How has Foligno looked in camp? I don't get much news about the Sabres and gave up searching for his name in this thread.

seanaynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanaynay View Post
How has Foligno looked in camp? I don't get much news about the Sabres and gave up searching for his name in this thread.
Foligno tries to resume good play (Mike Harrington – The Buffalo News):
Quote:
Plenty of publications and websites expect big things from the 6-foot-3, 226-pound Foligno. TSN, the Canadian sports television giant, has Foligno on a list of 20 Calder Trophy candidates that also includes Sabres center Mikhail Grigorenko and Tampa Bay winger Cory Conacher, the former Canisius College star.

Foligno had six goals and seven assists last year in 14 games. He had a scoreless outing in his NHL debut on Dec. 20, 2011 at Ottawa and then exploded on the scene when he returned for the final 13 games. He scored his first NHL goal in game two, also at Ottawa on March 12, and had points in nine of his last 13 games.

In Rochester this year, he had 10 goals, 17 assists and a plus-7 rating in 33 games.

“He’s a great hockey player and everybody knows he’s such a beast with the puck,” said Sabres center Cody Hodgson, who centered Foligno this season for much of their stint with the Amerks. “He takes the puck so hard to the net, creates offense, has a great shot. It was a fun time to play with him.”

Foligno had five goals and eight points in his first five games in Rochester this year but struggled when Hodgson went down with a hand injury and didn’t score for 10 games. Ruff liked how Foligno pushed through that tough time to keep contributing.

“If you’re not putting the puck in the net, you have to help someone else put it in,” Foligno said. “I was still chipping in with the offense, helping out. There were a few empty nets here or there, chances I didn’t capitalize on. But there was no shortage of getting to the net so I was happy with that. I was getting through the grind well.”

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
seanaynay
One in a Milan

Thanks. Im looking forward to see how he does this year. He is going to be a force to deal with soon enough

seanaynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
LGB24

Pretty accurate. I think well balanced scoring will be more of a key than Miller though. Miller was great last year last half after he recovered from his concussion.

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Foligno tries to resume good play
..what an awful headline. My journalism teacher would be rolling in his grave if he weren't still alive.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I'm excited for the youth we have on the Sabres that are in big roles... Myers, Ennis, Hodgon, Foligno. Our #1 dman and 3 of our top 6 forwards are 23 and under. And then we have our future franchise player in Grigorenko who is 18* years old and may very well make the team this year. I feel old that Thomas Vanek is turning 29 years old and is one of the oldest players on the team... It feels like the 03 draft was yesterday. Pominville is 30 himself. The youngsters from the scary good era are all old vets now.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I'm excited for the youth we have on the Sabres that are in big roles... Myers, Ennis, Hodgon, Foligno. Our #1 dman and 3 of our top 6 forwards are 23 and under. And then we have our future franchise player in Grigorenko who is 18* years old and may very well make the team this year. I feel old that Thomas Vanek is turning 29 years old and is one of the oldest players on the team... It feels like the 03 draft was yesterday. Pominville is 30 himself. The youngsters from the scary good era are all old vets now.
I'm excited to see those kids turn into our go to guys and develop into leaders of this team.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM

Why does the media insist on talking about Grigorenko all the time but hardy any mention about other young guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno or Myers?

They are setting the casual fan up for disappointment.

Anyone else notice how the edited Otts interview on wgr to make it sound like Grigorenko is one of the best players he has played with?

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Deevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Why does the media insist on talking about Grigorenko all the time but hardy any mention about other young guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno or Myers?

Anyone else notice how the edited Otts interview on wgr to make it sound like Grigorenko is one of the best players he has played with?
Shiny new toy syndrome, partially. Also, Grigorenko was touted as a top 3 player in his draft class for some time before falling in the latter half of last year, and brings something to the table that the Sabres don't have in Hodgon and Ennis; A huge #1 center who has franchise player potential.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post

I noticed that and found it irritating, but print journalists do the same thing with quotations. I never pass a judgment on a quote without listening to the source directly, assuming it is something I'd care enough to do that for.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM

On my way home the said something about Grigorenko and followed it up with audio of lindy talking about Hodgson. Bush league.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Shiny new toy syndrome, partially. Also, Grigorenko was touted as a top 3 player in his draft class for some time before falling in the latter half of last year, and brings something to the table that the Sabres don't have in Hodgon and Ennis; A huge #1 center who has franchise player potential.
I know this, but I mean its gotten tiresome to even me who is a huge Grigorenko fan and has been following him since he came over to Quebec. I mean players must be sick of anwsering questions about a 18 year old prospect no?

Let the kid play some games and get comfortable before setting such unrealistic expectations at this point. He is going to have a learing curve.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Maybe this is a good thing as it takes some of the pressure off Ennis and Hodgson, who have enough to worry about without the questions about whether they feel their performance will make or break the season.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see him fall so far down..I believe it was just because he had a bad playoffs in the Q. Pretty crazy that struggling over just a 7 game stretch can drop you just like that. I'm sure the 'Russian Factor' came into play as well.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
copter

It would have been nice had the Sabres informed season ticket holders that they cancelled today's open practice prior to me leaving home this morning and driving 1.5 hours (each way) for no reason. I suppose they couldn't fit the notification in amongst the 14 emails I have received from them since they announced there was a practice today?

Last edited by copter: 01-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.
copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Anyone gonna go tomorrow? I'll be there again

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:37 PM
copter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Anyone gonna go tomorrow? I'll be there again

I would have gone, but I'm not going to waste another 3+ hours of my time driving there (and back) to see nothing.

copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by copter View Post
I would have gone, but I'm not going to waste another 3+ hours of my time driving there (and back) to see nothing.
Aww

Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
LaxSabre

vCash: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by copter View Post
It would have been nice had the Sabres informed season ticket holders that they cancelled today's open practice prior to me leaving home this morning and driving 1.5 hours (each way) for no reason.
Sorry that happened to you. The Sabres did mention that todays practice was canceled early Wednesday afternoon via twitter, WGR 550 AM mentioned it in their updates and Woodhouse also posted the news here. Still the Sabres should have had sent out a practice cancelation email to people on both the season ticket holder and Sabres Insider mailing lists as well as post an update on their website.

LaxSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Wondering if the practice will be the same routines from Wednesday. Or if they'll do different stuff, assuming different.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

So will we find out tomorrow if Grigs is staying up? Or is it still subject to the weekend?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
So will we find out tomorrow if Grigs is staying up? Or is it still subject to the weekend?
I think its almost a forgone conclusion he is staying. Will be confirmed at 3 or 5pm tomorrow when teams submit their 23 man roster.