HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[CAR/LAK] Kevin Westgarth for Anthony Stewart, 4th pick, 6th pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  #151
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,773
vCash: 500
Jesus, such ire for such a minor deal. It's two players that won't be in the league much longer and two draft picks that in all likelihood won't amount to anything of note.

What's the big deal?

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
  #152
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Jesus, such ire for such a minor deal. It's two players that won't be in the league much longer and two draft picks that in all likelihood won't amount to anything of note.

What's the big deal?
It isn't a big deal, its just that low conversion rate of mid-late picks isn't an adequate reason to punt them for nothing, which Westgarth is. Poor asset management, albeit on a small scale

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 03:58 PM
  #153
Beville
#ForTheBoys
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Engerlanddd!
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Stewart was pretty good over the pond I thought... Hopefully he'll be alright for you lot!

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:05 PM
  #154
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthewings View Post
It isn't a big deal, its just that low conversion rate of mid-late picks isn't an adequate reason to punt them for nothing, which Westgarth is. Poor asset management, albeit on a small scale
If you say so. Seems like a whole lot of fluster and criticism for a minor move at best.

Canes got what they wanted out of the deal (though like every other enforcer they've taken a chance with, I don't see it working out), and the Kings got a couple minor pieces.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:25 PM
  #155
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Great deal for Kings. An extra pick in a deep draft.

The Kings have a nice track record of late picks .

A-Mart/Loki/Quick/King/Nolan, All late round picks.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:36 PM
  #156
MJMazzarone
#AnyonebutNYR
 
MJMazzarone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dover, NJ
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
BTW, not to blow my horn TOO much.

From January 8th, 2013
Damn. That was accurate.

Got any lottery predictions?

MJMazzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:19 PM
  #157
MichaelProcton
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: High Point, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I know you cant win every fight but he didnt win one NHL fight. Even worse, he was a human punching bag. It was kinda embarrassing. He had some good fights in the AHL so that was surprising. Nobody expected he was this bad.
Know you saw many of these fights, but hockeyfights had his card from the last two years at 7-7-3.

MichaelProcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:23 PM
  #158
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Great deal for Kings. An extra pick in a deep draft.

The Kings have a nice track record of late picks .

A-Mart/Loki/Quick/King/Nolan, All late round picks.
Clifford is a concussion away from assisted living, leaving
Nolan the only one left at the punching
Parties... thus following Clifford and his
Shell of his former self career..


Please don't tell me green will step up kings fans

Thank you

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
  #159
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
Clifford is a concussion away from assisted living, leaving
Nolan the only one left at the punching
Parties... thus following Clifford and his
Shell of his former self career..


Please don't tell me green will step up kings fans

Thank you
We did just fine last year without an enforcer, the Ducks can continue to collect all the goons they want

Thank you

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:31 PM
  #160
LMFAO
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Has Stewart lost that much of his game?

He never really got a "game" to begin with

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
  #161
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
Clifford is a concussion away from assisted living, leaving
Nolan the only one left at the punching
Parties... thus following Clifford and his
Shell of his former self career..


Please don't tell me green will step up kings fans

Thank you
How was not making the playoff's ?

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
  #162
Kingsfan1
Registered User
 
Kingsfan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Staples Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 1,207
vCash: 500
9 Goals 20 points playing 8 mins or less a night in Carolina. Why not

Goodluck Westy

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:48 PM
  #163
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
How was not making the playoff's ?
U must be new to kings hockey
With a statement like that friend

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  #164
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,672
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post

Please don't tell me green will step up kings fans

Thank you
I was going to say Green will step up, but since you said Please, I won't

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  #165
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Well, Carolina didn't have an enforcer before, best they had to fight guys with was Tim Gleason. Westgarth is a big guy who will change that. I also don't think he's totally useless offensively as his stats suggest. Anthony Stewart didn't really work out in Carolina anyways.

The Kings needed someone to score, especially without Kopitar in the lineup. The Kings will probably use Stewart on their third line and pray that he finds his game from 2010-11 when he was with Atlanta. Plus they don't really lose anything. They gain two draft picks and they can still use Fraser and Clifford to fight.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
  #166
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Well, Carolina didn't have an enforcer before, best they had to fight guys with was Tim Gleason. Westgarth is a big guy who will change that. I also don't think he's totally useless offensively as his stats suggest. Anthony Stewart didn't really work out in Carolina anyways.

The Kings needed someone to score, especially without Kopitar in the lineup. The Kings will probably use Stewart on their third line and pray that he finds his game from 2010-11 when he was with Atlanta. Plus they don't really lose anything. They gain two draft picks and they can still use Fraser and Clifford to fight.
Stewart will more than likely be a healthy scratch who will fill in during injuries. Even with Kopitar out, there is no place for him. These were the practice lines today:

Gagne-Richards-Brown
Penner-Carter-Williams
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

That would leave Richardson and Stewart as extras

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
  #167
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Stewart will more than likely be a healthy scratch who will fill in during injuries. Even with Kopitar out, there is no place for him. These were the practice lines today:

Gagne-Richards-Brown
Penner-Carter-Williams
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

That would leave Richardson and Stewart as extras
Banking on Stewart fighting in training camp for one of those spots

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:08 PM
  #168
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelProcton View Post
Know you saw many of these fights, but hockeyfights had his card from the last two years at 7-7-3.
Well that's a shocker to me. Perhaps Rutherford checked his card on hockeyfights.com.

Now it all makes sense.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:11 PM
  #169
MichaelProcton
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: High Point, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
What's the big deal?
For a cap floor team like the Hurricanes, it's a big deal because draft picks are one of the few cost-controlled team assets a team can have. If they were spending $70 mil a year, they'd have plenty of margin for error, but screwing up even little deals in terms of money or future value hurts a lot. In some ways, that's why they've been forced to dump Boucher and Stewart at the cost of picks and a solid prospect.

MichaelProcton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:14 PM
  #170
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 12,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Banking on Stewart fighting in training camp for one of those spots
Clifford would be in trouble as well. Nolan has played better than him.

Clifford's spot is not exactly iron clad

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM
  #171
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT
 
Muzzinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Banking on Stewart fighting in training camp for one of those spots
He won't. He might get 4th line LW, but will probably be waived when Kopitar returns

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:58 PM
  #172
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 21,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelProcton View Post
For a cap floor team like the Hurricanes, it's a big deal because draft picks are one of the few cost-controlled team assets a team can have. If they were spending $70 mil a year, they'd have plenty of margin for error, but screwing up even little deals in terms of money or future value hurts a lot. In some ways, that's why they've been forced to dump Boucher and Stewart at the cost of picks and a solid prospect.
In no way has the two trades today been related to cap control. Both Stewart and Boucher were traded because they were of no use to the Canes anymore. Stewart played his way off the team, and Boucher became expendable due to his injuries and the way Ellis stepped up in Charlotte.

And you'd be right in keeping draft picks as a cost-controlled asset if the picks were higher, but a 4th round pick is a long shot to becoming a player to worry about and a 6th even less so.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:30 PM
  #173
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks
 
Rivet52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
The pages of reaction and complaining about these minor signings/trades today are surely the result of no action since September. However, immediately upon seeing this trade I thought of the Bill Cowher connection. Westgarth is married to his daughter, as mentioned, and Cowher is a Canes fan.

For those asking why not take a chance on someone that could be had for free, could it quite possibly be because Westgarth already had a connection to Carolina and they're familiar with him? Could be a lot more comfortable with him than they would be with just anyone.

While I don't like the Canes giving up the picks, it makes sense, even though burying Stewart wouldn't have counted against the cap considering his hit is not over 900K. His actual salary still would have to be paid and in getting rid of him they don't have to pay an additional player. I think the picks could have both been a bit lower (maybe a fifth and seventh) but it's not a major risk.

I like the trade more for the Kings since they got picks but Westgarth will do his job (not necessarily win fights but be a good locker room guy and physical presence). Nothing wrong with adding some character and some toughness even if he's the loser of a fight more often than not. Stewart cleared waivers last year and no one wanted him; he seems more of an NHL-AHL tweener at best. Highly unlikely his role with the Kings will change from what it was with the Canes; he'll sit in the press box with Richardson and likely won't play and could be on waivers again soon. He could be a project the Kings give a try but I doubt it. Look what happened to Moreau and Hunter last year. Kings will prefer to play their young guys like Clifford and Nolan, which is the best choice.


Last edited by Rivet52: 01-14-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
  #174
caniac247
Registered User
 
caniac247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,654
vCash: 500
Reading this thread you'd think Carolina traded a top 6 forward for a 4th liner goon.

Fact is that Stewart sucked here. He even found himself in the pressbox, which is pretty bad. That team wasn't all that good, yet, you coulnd't even get a spot in the line up cause you sucked.

Fact is Carolina wanted to get a tougher 4th line. Westgarth does that. He might suck at fighting, but atleast he'll do it.

Westgarth has more value to the Canes than Stewart does.

As for the picks, who cares. Picks are so overrated on these boards.

Stewart is a good guy and he's funny, he just isn't as good as some of you may think he is.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:33 PM
  #175
inthewings
Registered User
 
inthewings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Reading this thread you'd think Carolina traded a top 6 forward for a 4th liner goon.

Fact is that Stewart sucked here. He even found himself in the pressbox, which is pretty bad. That team wasn't all that good, yet, you coulnd't even get a spot in the line up cause you sucked.

Fact is Carolina wanted to get a tougher 4th line. Westgarth does that. He might suck at fighting, but atleast he'll do it.

Westgarth has more value to the Canes than Stewart does.

As for the picks, who cares. Picks are so overrated on these boards.

Stewart is a good guy and he's funny, he just isn't as good as some of you may think he is.
For the most part people don't care about Stewart, they just think its stupid to punt picks for a guy that is not and never will be an NHL calibre player. You can find those guys for free.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.