HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign UFA D Cam Barker to 1-Year, $700K Deal

Old
01-13-2013, 07:25 PM
Pseudonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
And look at where he has been and what he has proven among other teams in the nhl?
Maybe he shouldn't have been in the nhl at all, maybe theres a reason why guys like connauton are still in the ahl (who will probably be down there until 24). some guys need to grow and aren't ready until later ages. maybe he was rushed and this is the actual year he should have entered, maybe hes matured and hes getting his shot now. *shrug*

Pseudonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
NYVanfan

So ...Kent Huskins? Randy Jones? Mark Eaton? Brett Clark?
who should we have signed off the UFA list instead?
i guess Jim Vandemeer, but hardly feels like we missed out on any sweepstakes here...

this is a low risk, minimal cost move for a depth position ...prob will fail, but dont fault Gillis for going with a guy with a potential to deliver more...

.i expect him to make larger moves as well, but dont fault these smaller, low-risk signings

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:28 PM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
So ...Kent Huskins? Randy Jones? Mark Eaton? Brett Clark?
who should we have signed off the UFA list instead?
i guess Jim Vandemeer, but hardly feels like we missed out on any sweepstakes here...

this is a low risk, minimal cost move for a depth position ...prob will fail, but dont fault Gillis for going with a guy with a potential to deliver more...

.i expect him to make larger moves as well, but dont fault these smaller, low-risk signings
If your looking for an answer you named one. He would have added some toughness and grit to fill in occasionally.

Nobody is suggesting we missed out on any sweepstakes.

Orca Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:41 PM
vadim sharifijanov

two thoughts about this trade:

1. he's being brought in to compete with (and push) joslin for the seat eating popcorn next to alberts so k-con or the other young guys can stay on the farm. which is a good play (i.e., better to have barker's warm body than nobody).

2. possibly, another example of MG not knowing AV well enough. barker brought in as PP depth, i.e. someone to QB the second PP unit in the playoffs if a specific matchup needs more firepower on the second unit. which of course will never happen because AV will rather play a pile of harold snepsts' moustache trimmings than give icetime so someone like barker, an offense-first guy who shows little hustle and willingness to use his size.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
CanucksRollin
Tweet@CanucksOnARoll

vCash: 462
Stanley cup experience. I don't think he fit in Minny or the oil. Probably do better on a team like Vancouver.

CanucksRollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Orca Smash

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
two thoughts about this trade:

1. he's being brought in to compete with (and push) joslin for the seat eating popcorn next to alberts so k-con or the other young guys can stay on the farm. which is a good play (i.e., better to have barker's warm body than nobody).

2. possibly, another example of MG not knowing AV well enough. barker brought in as PP depth, i.e. someone to QB the second PP unit in the playoffs if a specific matchup needs more firepower on the second unit. which of course will never happen because AV will rather play a pile of harold snepsts' moustache trimmings than give icetime so someone like barker, an offense-first guy who shows little hustle and willingness to use his size.
This is probably the best post in the entire thread, both points. If its 1 its not an issue, with a shortened season and injuries, its number 2 i am worried about and am concerned might happen. People just assume he will be an 8th guy and we will hardly ever see him, we dont know that.

I grew up in medicine hat, and met cam barker a few times, we had mutual friends. Thats why people jumping down my throat for criticizing the signing i dont think watched him much, whether he fills a depth role or not.

He was good when he played in medicine hat, offensively more so for the tigers. But when he entered the nhl I dont know what happened, if he was mentally unprepared to play at this level but he completely lost away, he looked like he did not belong. When things got tough in his own zone he gave up. His hockey IQ was also low for a d-man and seemed to get progressively worse, as well as his motivation.

Thats why I am skeptical of the signing, i just dont see someone who will one day regain his form. I hope he proves me wrong.

If he barely plays then none of this is an issue, but with injuries and a shortened season im afraid he will be given a chance to fill a bigger role.

Old
01-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Honestly, I don't love it.

Less of a head-scratcher than trading for M-A ****ing Gragnani, playing him for 14 games so he wouldn't be an UFA then letting him go.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Orca Smash

And my last post on this, as I hope if he does get a chance if theirs injuries, he proves me wrong but here is a write up for people who do not follow him closely.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2011...ign-cam-barker

Old
01-13-2013, 07:55 PM
LovemyNucks

He's a depth Defenceman...nothing more. $700k for a low risk and possible good reward is a signing that no one should be crapping their pants about. We all know they like rolling 8 defenceman a year. This year i'm sure they will wanna roll at least nine because of the inevitable injuries that will happen, especially due to the shortened training camp and season. Groin injuries were a dime a dozen last time around. I think Gretzky made the trainers take out all of the stationary bikes when he was coaching the Coyote's because of the rash of groin injuries.

Anywho...don't panic...it's a 1 year depth deal...and 1 of our D will get injured before the end of the month...remember that I called it here first!

LovemyNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
billvanseattle

I mentioned this elsewhere and didn't get a response. How many of our 50 have we used ... if this pushes us to the limit then I am concerned. Otherwise, a no risk gamble. Like drafting overage players ... we have won 2 presidents trophy's in 2 years ... In MG I trust.

Chill everyone.

billvanseattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksrool View Post
Stanley cup experience. I don't think he fit in Minny or the oil. Probably do better on a team like Vancouver.
Cam Barker doesn't have a cup ring. He was traded mid-way through the season they won the cup. And for good reason.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Knowing AV, he'll be his new Aaron Rome

Meh on Barker, depth defensemen

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:10 PM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Didn't Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins have motivational issues, too? I think they're doing just fine in Vancouver.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:13 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Cam Barker is not an effective 5-on-5 player AT THE AHL LEVEL. Think about that. Jesus between this and the Joslin signing you really have to wonder what the hell kind of advanced stats wizard Mike GIllis really is. They literally had the two worst Corsi numbers in the league last season.
Yup. Just a terrible, terrible hockey player.

He's a poor man's Andy Delmore. The worst defensive defender in the NHL.

And as you say, after all the talk about advanced stats and moneypuck and whatnot .... it feels like we're constantly doing the exact opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
There is absolutely ZERO risk here, I have no clue why people are so up in arms here. It's just money that nobody here is paying.
The risk is that a terrible hockey player is forced to play in the playoffs and contributes to sinking our season.

That people are saying this is 'zero risk' is mindboggling. Doesn't anyone remember Andrew Alberts' disastrous playoff performances in 2010 and 2011, that were a massive factor in our eliminations both years?

A horrible player forced into significant playoff minutes is a disaster. You need your depth guys to be able to cover reasonable minutes without killing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Haha worst overreaction in this thread... You'd think we just gave the guy a multi-million dollar multi-year deal with a NMC.
It's the principle.

It's like if someone you knew just spent $10 000 on magic beans. It's such an utterly, obviously, doomed to fail move on such a pile of total crap that it's damned upsetting.

Barker isn't some marginal, kinda crappy fringe defender who will be neither here nor there. He's a tragic trainwreck of a hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Canuck View Post
We have a different system then Edmonton or Minnesota. We are a very well conditioned organisation. Once Barker gets to speed with what is expected I'm sure in a world class system he can be more like the player we saw in Chicago. He is only 26 and only 4 years removed from a 40 point season in the best league in the world. It's a cheap contract and one that can be placed in the minors without it counting against our cap in the new cba. It is extremely low risk with upside.
Barker's 40-point season means nothing.

It was a total mirage, a fluke caused because Chicago didn't use their two best offensive defenders on their first-unit PP that entire season, in order to give them more ES/PK time.

If you put Andrew Alberts on a #1 PP unit alongside Kane/Toews/Campbell/etc., he'd score 40 points too. Doesn't mean a damned thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
And people are worried that he might see ice-time, which is valid, but it doesn't matter if it's Barker, or Joslin, or Connauton or some other schlub we bring in to be #8. The guy's going to be a liability, end of story.
This is just a lazy, lazy response.

We've actually had decent guys in that role in recent years - Rome, Sulzer, Weaver, and the like. Good solid guys who didn't hurt the team and provided solid value for the role. Vandermeer might have been that sort of guy, and there are other unsigned players floating around.

That we took such a lousy, rotten, 4th rate option to fill that spot is not acceptable.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Canucker

And yet another overreaction.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Evolution10
Best In The World

Quote:
I agree with this. I think he would definitely be better on a team like the Canucks, we have a better core group of D compared to those teams which would make it easier for him to play better, only time will tell I guess.

Evolution10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I mentioned this elsewhere and didn't get a response. How many of our 50 have we used ... if this pushes us to the limit then I am concerned.
He's #49.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:30 PM
MS

Quote:
And yet another overreaction.
Good grief.

Yeah, it's a minor move. But it's a crap minor move that makes the team worse.

Of course people are going to be grumpy about it.

Like the bizarre Sturm signing, it's crappy pro scouting that reflects poorly on the organization.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:34 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Barker's 40-point season means nothing.

It was a total mirage, a fluke caused because Chicago didn't use their two best offensive defenders on their first-unit PP that entire season, in order to give them more ES/PK time.

If you put Andrew Alberts on a #1 PP unit alongside Kane/Toews/Campbell/etc., he'd score 40 points too. Doesn't mean a damned thing.
No, he wouldn't. Barker DOES have skills, you don't get drafted 3rd overall if you don't. He's just a softie.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:40 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Good grief.

Yeah, it's a minor move. But it's a crap minor move that makes the team worse.

Of course people are going to be grumpy about it.

Like the bizarre Sturm signing, it's crappy pro scouting that reflects poorly on the organization.
It only reflects poorly on the organization if Barker hurts the team, that is yet to happen. Like the Sturm signing, if Barker doesn't add anything he'll be squeezed out of the organization or into a place where he won't hurt the team. This isn't a big deal.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:44 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
He didnt win a cup with them.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
He's #49.
that means we can take a 2-for-1 in a goalie deal (or one more than we send out...)
Interesting, barring any other moves, a multi-player return not likely for Luo.

NYVanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
Didn't Max Lapierre and Chris Higgins have motivational issues, too? I think they're doing just fine in Vancouver.
Difference being those two players were actually two decent NHLers at one time (albeit as bottom six forwards); lesser in the case of Lapierre but he had the advantage of AV coaching him before in junior. Barker has never been a decent NHLer for any noteable period of time.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
It only reflects poorly on the organization if Barker hurts the team
No, it reflects poorly if he doesn't help the team. If the test of our scouting is that we pick up players that don't hurt the team, we're in bad shape.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 08:58 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
No, he wouldn't. Barker DOES have skills, you don't get drafted 3rd overall if you don't. He's just a softie.
Outside of that year, he has 54 points in 228 NHL games, or 19 points/82 games.

He scored 8 points in 23 AHL games this year despite getting loads of PP time.

He showed some offensive skills in junior, but at the pro level - outside of that one fluke season that was a direct result of his supporting cast - he's done squat.

And his problem isn't just that he's soft. You can be soft and still be a serviceable NHL defender. His problem is that he's stupid. His defensive reads are possibly the worst I've ever seen by a guy playing regular minutes at the NHL level. Just has no idea whatsoever how to read the play - even if he had grit and worked hard, he'd be a liability because of this.